FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I love Amazon packages on Fridays. :)

Author Topic: I love Amazon packages on Fridays. :)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(original thread title restored)

Well, really I love them any day. Except maybe Saturdays, since I can't open them until Saturday night. But since I do the bulk of my non-electronic (read: books and magazines) reading on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons, books arriving on Fridays (especially when I have little else unread at the moment) are particularly great.

Even if it's not Magic Street. Which still hasn't shipped, and I'm annoyed enough that I sent an email asking why not.

But this Shabbos, I will be reading Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find, recommended by a Hatracker. Well, she wasn't a Hatracker when she recommended it, but she is now . . . [Wink]

[ July 27, 2005, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka... I love Flannery O'Connor. Her stories are just so amazing and quirky. I love her characters. They really come alive. I haven't read her work in awhile, though. Man, now I am gonna have to go get that collection. Hmmmm.... I'll just have to remedy that by picking up a copy when I get HP VI [Smile] .
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that for a class once. It was pretty good. O'Connor has a very readable style, and somehow isn't as heavyhanded as others who write with her same purpose. Enjoy your reading!

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I liked her characters.

However, with only one (I think) exception, I did not like the stories. >_<

Diana, I think we had a deal . . . [Wink]

I will post more detailed (and spoilerific) analyses of the individual stories later.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the Flannery O'Connor stuff I read in my Lit classes in high school. (She's Southern Gothic, right? Or am I confused?) However, I haven't picked up anything else by her since. Hmmm. Rivka, want to lend me a book? [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Talk to Diana. She promised to buy it from me if I didn't like it. [Wink]

(Actually, you can have it. I'm not going to make her pay up. I'll just make her buy me the next book she recommends. [Big Grin] )

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, boy! Thanks! I'll collect at the shinda/housewarming we are going to have once we're unpacked. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Assuming that it is not packed in a box at that point, sounds fine. [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

*bumped to get Diana's attention*
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to read A Good Man is Hard to Find in at least two different classes for my English major. It was well written, but not my personal favorite.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*ahem*
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka,

Yeah, it helps to yell at me occasionally!

Did I really say you would "like" Flannery O'Connor? Her stories are deeply disturbing. The world she writes about is strange, violent, funny, and deeply religious. In "A Good Man is Hard to Find," the writing is nearly perfect. Reading and rereading the story, I never cease to be amazed at how well she weaves all the different elements of her story together and still manages to leave me shocked, horrified and freshly aware of God's presence and grace in the most unlikey ways and places.

And don't spoil the stories for others. They really deserve to be read...like traveling that wrong road...

I'll pay up,though. Being an advocate for children in high conflict divorces gives me plenty of business. Today, that just seems really depressing.

Much love!!!!!!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

My objections to the stories had very little to do with being disturbed. In fact, I think the one I actually liked (better: appreciated?) was quite disturbing.

My objection was to the absence of a plot or POINT in some of these stories! Wonderful characters . . . but they either do nothing, or die absolutely pointlessly! Or both! >_<

Beatrice
Member # 4705

- posted      Profile for Beatrice           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's a lot of "point" to O'Connor's stories. One way that I've found is helpful to read her is from the point of view of grace theology: what is she saying about forgiveness, redemption, and--primarily--grace?
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree completely with Beatrice. You almost have to see the stories from two vantage points; the human, narrated story, and God's view, following these people, seeking them out, powerful, active and gracious.
Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah . . . so I'd have to be Catholic? [Wink]

*ducks*

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to say that this reminds me of reading James Joyce's short stories. I LOVE his short works and was excited when I found out he has novels.

Then I opened one of them.

[Mad]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beatrice
Member # 4705

- posted      Profile for Beatrice           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, rivka, I'm not Catholic either...but really, the beauty of O'Connor is that her stories are rarely explicitly religious and almost never explicitly Catholic. Grace is a big deal in Christianity, true, but it's not exclusive to it.

My favorite O'Connor short stories are "The Temple of the Holy Ghost," "The Displaced Person," "Greenleaf," "Revelation," and "The Artificial Nigger."

Another thing I like about her is that she has a gift for titles. I have a horrible time with titles, so I admire authors who are good at it.

mac, I know what you're saying. While I like both his short stories and novels, I can see why someone who likes the former would be a little unsettled by the latter. And to tell the truth, despite the occasional brilliance of the novels, there is little that compares to, say, "The Dead."

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

"The Artificial Nigger" (and less so "The Displaced Person") was the one I liked. [Wink]

And that comment was mostly me giving Diana a hard time. [Wink]

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I guessed that. I was just using it as a starting off point to pontificate. <grin>
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*anticipates new book with glee*

And I'm even getting rid of a good lot of my books tomorrow, so it's okay to get a new one! *looks virtuous*

rivka
Member # 4859

*confuzzled*

Dante = Beatrice?

Dante
Member # 1106

- posted      Profile for Dante           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. I guess I figured it was obvious when Beatrice was the only person to want to date Dante in the dating thread.
Posts: 1068 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

[Laugh]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.