FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » African economist says "Stop the aid!!"

Author Topic: African economist says "Stop the aid!!"
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's not verbatim.
Interview

Didn't I just hear that the leaders at the G8 summit just pledged to double the aid over the next 5 years? What do you think will be the real long term effects of increasing or cutting off the aid to Africa? Is this guy taking into account everything that the money effects? I can't imagine that it's not helping somehow with education and things that would help them in the long run. Right?

(I was also interested in hearing what he had to say about the exaggerated stats on AIDs....)

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

from the article:
quote:
SPIEGEL: Following World War II, Germany only managed to get back on its feet because the Americans poured money into the country through the Marshall Plan. Wouldn't that qualify as successful development aid?

Shikwati: In Germany's case, only the destroyed infrastructure had to be repaired. Despite the economic crisis of the Weimar Republic, Germany was a highly- industrialized country before the war. The damages created by the tsunami in Thailand can also be fixed with a little money and some reconstruction aid. Africa, however, must take the first steps into modernity on its own. There must be a change in mentality. We have to stop perceiving ourselves as beggars. These days, Africans only perceive themselves as victims. On the other hand, no one can really picture an African as a businessman. In order to change the current situation, it would be helpful if the aid organizations were to pull out.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
He has a point. Tossing money at the problem won't solve it.

Don't send food, send agricultural engineers so that farmers can make the most of the land. Jobs can be created by allowing industries, foreign and domestic, to take advantage of Africa's national resources. In time, build schools. Educate people about business, industry, (and while we're at it, educate people about HIV).

Mind you, most of these solutions require money, but are not as direct as pumping cash and resources into nations' governments. Africans (and Iraqis, for that matter) will benefit most when their futures are built by those who have the most to gain-- themselves.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Drat, you're too fast!! [Wink]
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Where? *eyeshifts*

Yeah, I looked at the first page, and saw the thread, and wondered who had replied. Then I noticed my stuff in quotes.

Then I saw my name beside it. Whoops, must've misclicked there.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that, Narnia.

That was good reading.

My father spends a good amount of time with ambassadors from other countries. My dad works with dairy farming, and they send ambassadors out to tour the dairies.

I'm always thinking, "Why don't they send dairymen out to tour the dairies?"

He has gone to other countries, however, to do seminars on aspects of production. There really should be more of that.

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoyHobbs
Member # 7594

- posted      Profile for RoyHobbs   Email RoyHobbs         Edit/Delete Post 
"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Teach a man to print money, and he can run up two more billion dollars of debt every day without worrying about paying off his IOUs.

[ July 09, 2005, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
He has gone to other countries, however, to do seminars on aspects of production. There really should be more of that.
Good on your dad docmagik! Sounds like he does great work.

The LDS church has been encouraging older couples to go on missions together for reasons like this. There are a lot of talented doctors, farmers, businessmen, educators etc. that can teach valuable skills. There was a great story I heard (I think at General conference) where a man and his wife were sent to siberia because they were expert potato farmers. They taught this town how to farm better and more efficiently and it really helped the people.

You're right, we do need more of that.

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with what JamesTK said. The money should not just be given but it should be used to work on projects- schools, for instance.

Aid is needed but not in the form of straight food or cash. However, it's still "aid", it's just more responsible.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief! (no profanity [Smile] ) Shikwati is indulging in hyperbole. The Nigerians I taught and knew did not see themselves as victims and they certainly were not part of any elite. And believe me, the spirit of entrepreneurship is alive and well. I never knew a shipload of books and supplies from an American church or even the U.N. that did not end up sold, not given away, at the local market. Aid has to be managed well, because there is alot of corruption in Africa, but it is necessary. I saw student's actually studying lab science and people's lives saved because of western aid. Let's hope the aid just approved by the G8 forum actually gets distributed soon.

Shikwati may have a point about AIDS. I learned to ask the coffin makers if I wanted to know exactly who died and of what disease. But make no mistake- Africa has been hit very hard by AIDS and needs clinics, medicine and educational resources _now_.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
Give a man a fire, and he'll have fire for a night.

Set a man on fire, and he'll have fire for the rest of his life.

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Reader
Member # 3636

- posted      Profile for The Reader   Email The Reader         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Give a man a fire, and he'll have fire for a night.

Set a man on fire, and he'll have fire for the rest of his life.

Are you trying to make a point, or are you being asinine to bump your post count? Besides, the man could be doused and survive.

I agree with JamesTK and Narnia. Africa needs aid, and the aid needs to be watched so that people like Robert Mugabe (spelling?) don't get it and use it to murder people. Africa also needs infrastructure much more than it needs aid. There are plenty of people that can work to use natural, cultural, and national resourses to build Africa.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.