FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Slang (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hatrack Slang
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a dobie?

What is a mayfly?

Are there any other hatrack terms I need to learn in order to get along?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
A dobie is a thread where the title is a parody of another thread's title. The content of the first post is traditionally a link which points to something related to the parody subject. For example, if someone were to, say, dobie "Harry Potter" with a thread titled "Hairy Potter," then the link would probably be to a site about, or with a picture of, a clay-worker with lots of hair. Dobies are named after the user who started the whole tradition. Note that most people do not think dobies are particularly funny (or rather, they think that few can do them well). Unless you have a brilliant idea for a dobie, you should probably refrain.

A mayfly is a thread that will probably be deleted by the person who started it. The name comes from mayflies, insects with very short lives.

One other obscure term you should know is "onanism." If you don't know it, look it up in a dictionary (NOT a google search). I'm not explaining this one to you, though.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
It's MASTURBATION.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for putting it in all caps, jebus. It really helps the hard of hearing.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

No! You're suppose to get angry and give me a chance to defy authority.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

In what context would the term onanism be used at hatack?
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

And someone should come up with slang for all the advice threads.

They are very common and need to be renamed in hatrack-speak, in my opinion.

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
jatraquero -a is a Spanglish term for hatracker (the -o suffix is masculine, the -a feminine) coined by David Bowles.

There are families on hatrack, or maybe we're all one big family by now, of adopted relationships. This was begun by Saudade. Almost everyone is Bernard's sibling, I think, and the rest are connected through him, usually, if not in other ways as well. Quite often, as in most small, closely knit communities, in more ways than one. This gives rise to good old hatrack incest, in which, for example, Pod found out he was dating his own niece (Jaiden) more than a year after they had become a couple.

Some of our adopted family relationships are not found in your standard geneological programs, for instance Minions and Acolytes, yet these are tender and close permanent family connections, nevertheless. (I know that Saudade would never deny her minions their generous half-carrot-a-week food/pay package, and they in turn would never cease to send her all their money.)

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

TL a very common usage for the term onanism is when someone posts "I'm relieved this isn't an onanism thread." in just about any thread whose title might be construed to be referring obliquely to the practice. I believe this tradition was started by Papa Moose.

[ July 09, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Tatiana ]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

memes are ideas which take hold of people's minds, propagate themselves, and survive in the "meme pool" for possibly no other reason than that they have lodged themselves there and can't be got rid of. This term was coined by Richard Dawkins, I believe, in his book "The Selfish Gene" but was popularized on hatrack by David Bowles. The classic example of a meme, in my opinion, which just won't die regardless of the fact that it has no function at all (certainly not humor) is the idea of the dobie. [Wink]

Another one might be the "last post" concept. This actually started because some forgotten genius long ago, in typical fashion felt that every thread they posted in promptly died. They posted a thread stating that they were the thread killer. (Everyone seems to feel like they're a thread killer, from time to time. I'm the supreme thread killer now, I think. [Smile] )

Anyway, others posted to prove them wrong, and to prove that THEY were in fact the master killer of all threads. That idea took off and ages and ages later, we still have the various last post threads (which I personally find delightful). [Smile]

Maybe someday someone will teach me to see something charming about dobies too. Who knows? One can hope. [Smile]

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
jatraquero -a is a Spanglish term for hatracker (the -o suffix is masculine, the -a feminine) coined by David Bowles.
"Ratraquero" is the Portugese-esque equivalent.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Porter, is that pronounced something like the same way? I keep hearing that in a Scooby Doo voice, because of my lack of familiarity with Portuguese pronunciation.
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Another one might be the "last post" concept. This actually started because some forgotten genius long ago, in typical fashion felt that every thread they posted in promptly died. They posted a thread stating that they were the thread killer. (Everyone seems to feel like they're a thread killer, from time to time. I'm the supreme thread killer now, I think. )
It was Yebor1 who posted the original one.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was Ratraquenho, mph.

There was a thread titled "Onanism" long ago -- I can no longer remember who posted it. One of the younger members -- possibly Yebor1 or Shlomo. Anyway, when another thread title could function as double-entendre (say, for example, To Quit, or Not To Quit), I would often post in the thread "<Relieved this isn't an Onanism thread.>" Been going on ever since.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Porter, is that pronounced something like the same way?
It's pronounced pretty much exactly the same way.

An R at the beginning of a portugese word is pronounced just like an "H" in English.

quote:
I thought it was Ratraquenho, mph.
That's not how I've ever done it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
"Ratraquenho" is a variant of "Ratraquero", coined by OSC himself.

If my understanding of Portuguese orthography is correct, its pronunciation is something like "Hatracainyo".

Edit: Wait, was it actually spelled "Ratraquenho"? I can't remember off the top of my head, but it seems to me there was an I in there somewhere. "-queinho", maybe? I don't remember. Hm.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, how is Onanism the same as masturbation?

Onan had a partner, he just, uh, didn't finish.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
It comes from a misinterpretation of the story. A lot of people thought Onan's sin was spilling his seed on the ground, and that therefore any sex act that put the seed anywhere but a woman's womb was sinful. Masturbation being the most common example of that, it got the name "onanism".

Onan's real sin, of course, was refusing to impregnate his brother's widow to carry on the family line. Which is not at all the same thing. But that interpretation wouldn't give us many chances to use the word "onanism", and then where would Hatrack be?

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

So ...

GLOSSARY OF HATRACK TERMS:

mayfly: a post that will be deleted quickly by its creator, for one reason or another.

dobie: a thread parodying an already existing thread.

onanism: onanism.

jatraquero: male hatracker.

jatraquera: female hatracker.

meme: an idea which catches on.

last post thread: a thread in which the goal is to be the last poster.

ratraquenho: hatracker.

ratraquero: hatracker.
-------------------------------------------

What else am I missing? Are these definitions correct?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TL:
So ...

GLOSSARY OF HATRACK TERMS:

mayfly: a post that will be deleted quickly by its creator, for one reason or another.
-------------------------------------------

Are these definitions correct?

Try this instead:

mayfly: a post which may be deleted quickly by its creator, for one reason or another. Some mayflies have surprisingly long lifetimes.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

fora: The plural of forum. Is often used to describe the loose network of forums that are related in some way to Hatrack. Some examples are Sake River, GreNME, Galactic Cactus, MadOwl, Gamesmaq, and Platic Castle. There are others.

Most of these are forums that are run by a ratrequero or an ex-jatraquero. Many hatrackers that no longer post here can be seen on these other fora.

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Meh. I say "forums." So shoot me. [Smile]

(And it is Ratraqhenho Porter, you just missed the memo. And this one. Oh, and here I even mentioned you Porter. [Razz] )

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

OSC said:

quote:
Technically, the Portuguese version should be "ratraqueiros."
[Razz]
Narnia
Member # 1071

But notice which one stuck? You still lose. [Razz]

We even made an official announcement...in that thread....where no one else could read unless they read that thread. How much more official can it get?! [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fora: The plural of forum. Is often used to describe the loose network of forums that are related in some way to Hatrack. Some examples are Sake River, GreNME, Galactic Cactus, MadOwl, Gamesmaq, and Platic Castle. There are others.

Good one Porter! Geez! [Roll Eyes]

*waits for the innevitable influx of newbies*

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

quote:
Technically, the Portuguese version should be "ratraqueiros."
That's where the "I" fit in. I knew there was one in one of those somewhere.

Well, I still like "Ratraquenho" better.

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, how about shinda?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, now I have a question: I've seen a number of threads where people write "So*". What's with the asterisk?
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Pooka AKA Trisha the Severe Hottie AKA Mothertree once noticed that whenever anybody starts a post with "So,", that person was going to completely disagree with the earlier post. To prove her wrong, we all started starting posts with "So*", and then at the end we'd put

* for pooka

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. So you use So* if you're not going to completely disagree with the earlier post? Or has it just evolved into always being used?
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

No, we pretty much started using it anytime to "prove" that mothertree was wrong.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Okay, how about shinda?
A Shinda (pl. Shindae) is a SoCal Hatrack gathering. Originally a misspelling of "shindig" on a cake at the very first one, it has become the official name of all such gatherings. We have lost count of how many there have been (unless Pop remembers).

quote:
No, we pretty much started using it anytime to "prove" that mothertree was wrong.
It wasn't to prove anything, actually.

Personally, I think it went from funny to [Roll Eyes] sometime in May or June.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Graemlins (compleat with ye pseudo-olde-English spelling) are what any other forum calls smileys.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss] Porter/ Anti-Cool/Mr. Homestarrio eyes

Though I had forgotten about the contrarywiseguyness. I think I poste about it because there was like 5 threads starting with "So,..." that day. And they had switched because the day before I had pointed out how many people were starting threads with "Well,..."

I mean, people are going to contradict you no matter what you post, right?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't think contrariness figured into it at ALL. And I was there for pooka's post. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Graemlins (compleat with ye pseudo-olde-English spelling) are what any other forum calls smileys.

Lots of other forums call them graemlins.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, I guess the contrariness was just the reason that *I* did it.

[Blushing]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget WENCHES!!!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
The "other side" refers to the opposite forum of that in which it was posted. Okay, that might make no sense. For instance if someone posts in Books, Films, Food, and Culture to check out a thread on the other side, he/she is referring to the Discussions about Orson Scott Card forum, and vice versa.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Would landmark threads be considered hatrack slang? I don't frequent a lot of forums (fora [Razz] ) so I don't know that's a common thing, but I kind of doubt it.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Hatrack slang.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

It's not really slang, but it's definitely a hatrack phenomemon.

After all, doesn't something have to have a "norml" or "proper" name in order for another name for it to be slang?

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the word "squicky" is Hatrack slang, non? I've since incorporated it into my everyday vocabulary, but I think I heard it here first.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I made Tom use a smiley. Maybe I will date him after all.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
THIS is Hatrack slang:

[Wave] [Hail]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
I believe the word "squicky" is Hatrack slang, non? I've since incorporated it into my everyday vocabulary, but I think I heard it here first.

It's internet slang that's popular on Hatrack. I've seen it elsewhere, though only a couple of times.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

quote:
I made Tom use a smiley. Maybe I will date him after all.
Tom always uses that smiley or this one [Wink] to show that he's really smiling behind his total smackdown of your last argument. [Big Grin]

But you can still date him if you want to.

dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
But what constitutes a landmark?

And what is a squicky?

And I'm pretty sure that I was AT the first SoCal hatrack gathering, and there was no cake that said shindi. And Papa Moose was not at that one either, so I'm guessing you mean a later first socal hatrack gathering.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hugh57
Member # 5527

- posted      Profile for hugh57   Email hugh57         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mothertree:
I mean, people are going to contradict you no matter what you post, right?

Absolutely not. [Big Grin]
Posts: 241 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
I must stand up and take credit for being the first to popularize "squicky" and "squicked out" on this forum, though It existed well before I infected Hatrack with it.

I got it from Television Without Pity back when it was still called Mighty Big TV. Imagine my shock when I learned that the origin dates back to early web fanfic-ers or something. I think it was supposed to be a sound effect, but came to mean the feeling of being grossed out.

I think. Anyway, once upon a time somebody blamed me for it, and I fessed up that I'd read it somewhere else and just started using it. It Is NOT Hatrack specific.

P.S. Don't ever visit a fanfic site and look for 'squick fic'. I'm told it would be a mistake.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.