FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My son wants to play D&D with me

Author Topic: My son wants to play D&D with me
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
[moved from the other side because I accidentally posted it there instead of here]

Isn't D&D something that is supposed to really bother your parents? But no -- my son wants to play *with* me.

This week I've been trying to flesh out a fun character to play in msquared's campaign, and my son has overheard me and bev talking about it. So he asks questions about this game. I answer them. The more I tell him, the more he wants to play.

He's six years old.

The odd thing is that it does bother me somewhat. I'm not sure it isn't too violent for someone his age. If I do it with him, I want it to be more than just getting to kill stuff, and I want to make sure that I discuss with him the moral decisions his character faces.

Anyway, I'm thinking of doing a simple adventure with him so that he can see what it's like. I'm not sure if I want to, but I'm thinking about it.

Does anybody know of any decent solo (or 2-character [his character and a supporting NPC]) adventures? The game will be very light on the game mechanics, so it could be from pretty much any system -- an original D&D adventure would probably work just fine.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Did you check the Dungeon Master Manual? There are scenarios listed there that might be simple enough.
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple of old first edition modules, Porter. I'll dig them out of the closet tonight and see if any of them would work for what you're wanting. If so I'll mail them to you (after getting your address, of course).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the D&D 3.0 DMG. I don't see anything like that in there.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Thanks, Noemon. If you find any that you think will work, could you tell me the names, and I'll see if I can find them anywhere around here first.
no. 6
Member # 7753

Let me go upstairs and see if I can find anything....

*goes*

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
CUUUUUUUUUTE. I think that's adorable. You could just set up something quick and sweet on your own. A little fairy tale in gaming form, where the morally right decisions lead to the good outcomes.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I've never set anything like that up before. I'm wary of doing it seat-of-my pants. But maybe I shouldn't be.

Ideas forming....

no. 6
Member # 7753

Although I am wary of the title "Vicious Venues", I think some of these scenarios might help.

Vicious Venues

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, do you even know what you're getting into?
Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, more disgusting hate from Jack T Chick [Razz]

(And no, the joke didn't go over my head).

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that tract is so funny on so many levels.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have a link to Tom's parody of that tract?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could just set up something quick and sweet on your own. A little fairy tale in gaming form, where the morally right decisions lead to the good outcomes.
I think Ryuko has the right idea here. Make up a little story, choosing the appropriate monsters to come in at the appropriate places, so that he can get the mechanics of the game, and so you can guide the outcomes of any non-combat decisions he'd have to make. Though I never did D&D with my family, I know we always loved games, and my dad was always sending us on "quests" in the backyard.

Oh, and so cute.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that Jack Chick track explains exactly why I never play the mafia games.
Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he can play against my oldest or something.

So in Tom's parody, did the girl put a mind bondage on her dad and he made $200.00 in charitable offerings?

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always described D&D as a storytelling session. The only difference between telling your kids bedtime stories and playing D&D is that there are several people telling the story, and each has his own part.

I used to tell my kids D&D adventures for bedtime stories. Their favorite was about Tithe, (pronounced Tith) the black dragon that had been raised from an egg by a gnome-illusionist friend of mine (Quelder) , that never taught her she was a dragon. Sure, she had dragon tendencies, she hoarded treasure, for example.

Quelder had retired from adventuring, and used his wealth to build a small town/kingdom. Tithe could see the greatest treasure. The things that were so important to people that they always had to hold on to them tightly. Things like wooden swords, and sticks and hoops, marbles, and dollys.

Of course, Quelder had taught Tithe that it wasn't okay to take these things without permission. So Tithe eventually learned how to get these treasures from their owners. She traded them for rides.

Of course, the childrens' parents were furious, children weren't allowed to go flying around on a black dragon, so they had to do it when there parents weren't looking. Tithe never dropped anyone. And she had a very large hoard of treasure in her cave.

And the children had wonderful adventures, flying far from home, when there parents didn't know they were gone.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like wonderful idea for a children book. I am dead serious, it really is clever.

You should look into that, really. I think it is very creative and interesting, and could be used to provide all sorts of lessons about moral questions and choices....

If you don't write it, I might... [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
My parody:
www.plastic-castle.com/tom/jackchick.gif

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there was Rodney, the Orc.

We first met Rodney in the palace of the Silver Princess. It took us awhile, because, you know, orcs all look the same, before we realized that Rodney actually was only half-orc.

Rodney became a member of our party, and gradually his life story came out in bits and pieces. He wasn't used to talking about it, because no one usually listened to him. But occasionally we would discover something new about him, for example when we discovered that he really couldn't do a good job translating for us when we met a group of orcs.

This was partly because he didn't speak orcish very well, but it was also because orcs didn't find him very charismatic. They thought he was quite ugly. That was when we found out that he was acually only 1/4 orc. His mother and father had been married. His father had not been able to find a wife because he was too ugly. And his mother had not been able to find a husband, because she was a half-orc.

This is also why he didn't speak orcish very well, but since he looked like an orc to us, we just assumed that he spoke orcish...

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't even get me started on Harry Potter."

It was odd that all the gamers were girls.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

They had to all be girls, because all witches are girls! [Roll Eyes]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, where is this community where Jack Chick meets the gamers he hates so much? And how much would it cost me to fly there?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
That tract was hilarious! [ROFL] Thanks for the link. Hard to believe they're serious.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

Hey...half my gaming group is female...
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
rush out to your local game store and buy more things to burn
Yeah, that'll teach 'em.

--------------------------
Porter:
On the subject of D&D - if you make up your own game at your son's level, maybe that would work. Have you ever seen the Super Nintendo game "Earthbound?" I loved that game - it wasn't slash & hack, it seemed cartoonish but was amusing and clever (to me, anyway). Consider an adventure like that. (I speak from the perspective of one who likes RPG games but never played D&D.)

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Nope, I've never played Earthbound.

I have found a copy of the original basic D&D boxed set. There's a silly little solo adventure in there that I am going to run for him. We'll see how it goes. [Smile]

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have that, it was sold in both a red and a blue box....I bought the blue box. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool/cute Porter. [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Well, I played a tiny little adventure with him. He thought it was Teh Awesome. He wants to play more more more more MORE!!!!

I think I'm going to get together some simple adventures that he, bev, and I can play. Nothing to ambitious, nothing too original. Just something to do to have fun with my kid.

Megan
Member # 5290

You guys ROCK! [Big Grin]

That's the ticket, hook 'em while they're young! [Wink]

Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, Porter! How did you manage the rules, etc?

Did you just have him run a solo adventure, or did you do the DM'ing yourself?

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I took the first silly little solo adventure in the ancient boxed set basic D&D, and I DMed it for him.

But the boy really wants to play a rogue (he was *soooo* distressed that there was a door that he was unable to open in that adventure), so we're going to create a new character for him.

As far as the rules go, I'm using 3.5 D&D, but simplified so much that about the only difference you can see from the original basic D&D is that demihumans can have classes, and that a high AC is better than a bad AC (along with the elimination of THAC0).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.