FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Doctor Who

Author Topic: Doctor Who
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I was just wondering, are there many (any?) Doctor Who fans here?

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Who?
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

No, no. The joke goes, "I'm the Doctor"... "Doctor... Who?"

Sorry. I'll close the door behind me.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched a couple of episodes. Interesting TV show and I did like it, though I wouldn't label myself a huge fan.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Chungwa, there are a lot of us who like Doctor Who, or who at least have fond childhood memories of it. It comes up from time to time. I was going to suggest that you use the forum search engine to dig up some threads on the subject, but I tried it myself first, and didn't have much luck. Nonetheless, it is something that gets brought up here now and then.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
From Rock Opera by Rod Kirkegaard (a very cool satrical comic in Heavy Metal in the early eighties. Gollywog, the protagonist, has come face to face with Tom Baker in full Doctor regalia:

Gollywog: Who are you?
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor?
Gollywog: Dr. Who?
The Doctor: Who cares? (famous Tom Baker smile)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Thanks for the replies.

Before I posted I did do a search and, as you said, nothing came up. From that, I took it upon myself to make the topic.

I don't suppose anyone has seen any of the new Who episodes? I finished the first (new) season a week or go a so. I've been very happy with it. One of my friends told me it wasn't Doctor Who because too many stories took place on Earth - apparently she never watched any Jon Pertwee episodes [Big Grin]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the new series last night - the one where Rose goes back to see her father.

First Dr Who I've ever seen and I liked it a lot. Cried like a baby though.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
The new series has made me a fan. I've never seen any of the older stuff, but I've read up on it a bit in order to have a better understanding and appreciation of the new stuff.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

The new series, for the most part, seems more emotional and more character driven. I really like that. Though many of the Peter Davison (among, other Doctors) episodes are full of character development (ag! My keyboard keeps taking my cursor back to the first line!)
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you have a chance, take a look at the new Doctor Who. It's one of my all-time favourite shows. I wasn't disappointed by any line, and plot, any episode. It's fabulous.

SEE IT!

(I am a very big Doctor Who fan, at least, but not exclusively, of the new Doctor Who. I was totally and utterly impressed.)

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo-dragon
Member # 7168

- posted      Profile for neo-dragon           Edit/Delete Post 
To those who have seen older Dr. Who episodes, how would you say that Christopher Eccleston compared to past doctors? I want to know if they've all been as funny and likable as him. I hope the new guy is as good.
Posts: 1569 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Law Maker
Member # 5909

- posted      Profile for Law Maker   Email Law Maker         Edit/Delete Post 
Each of the doctors is different and I liked them all to varying degrees. Most of them were at times both funny and likable but in different ways.

I'd recommend watching a good variety of episodes, some from each doctor's era to really get a feel for the show. However, unless you have a strong stomach, I would hold off on watching anything from Colin Baker's (the sixth doctor) era until you've seen enough of the show to be able to overlook his many flaws.

Personally, my favorite doctor has always been Sylvester McCoy (the seventh) though I know he wasn't too popular. The new doctor, Christopher Eccleston, has to be my third-favorite of all time, only narrowly outmatched by Tom Baker (the fourth)

Posts: 46 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Personally, Colin Baker is my second favourite doctor. This is due almost completely because of the Big Finish Audio adventures. When those were released people saw that Colin Baker was a great doctor. His TV time as the Doctor was, sadly, plagues with the terrible writing of Pip and James (I think it was James) Baker (no relation to Colin Baker or Tom Baker).

I've noticed, at times, many different aspects of some of the classic doctors in CE's portrayal. For example, every time he starts complaining about "stupid apes" I remember Jon Pertwee. Many of his backhanded remarks remind me of Patrick Troughton.

But, yes, each doctor has their own personality and their own specialness. I haven't found any of them to actually be "bad."

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished up watching the first season of the new show(*spoilers*). I thought they were all really good except for the Rose's Daddy episode and the final of the final (It looked to be so good. I was so looking forward to finding out what the "Bad Wolf" thing was all about and how it was going to fix the unfixable Dalek situation and it turns out to be a big stupid deus ex machina. Time vortex my ass. My gosh the playground scene where Rose was surrounded by all the graffiti was so darn good and then it got wasted because they couldn't come up with something better.)

My favorite episode has got to be the 2-parter with the really creepy kid in the gas mask and the introduction of the kinda Tom Cruisey bi-sexual guy (I thought it was great how they turned the playboy thing around with the bi (or quite possibly more) sexuality) but didn't try to make a big deal out it). Maybe not the best resolution. ("I'm your Mom." -> *poof* everyone's all better) buth the whole set up was great and the end speech "Nobody dies today!" was just amazing.

Cristopher Eccleston did a great job as The Doctor. He hit all the complex emotions they were going for and his "Oh wait, everything's going to be all great. Nothing to worry about." con when he super-fast realizes there's a huge problem were fantastic.

I like dRose. She was not one of the annoying Dr. Who companions and, as her relationship with The Doctor was the central focus of the show, that was really important. I also really liked the relationship she had with Mickey.

Captain Jack was great too. I like the really competent companion thing. Except for Susan, Romana, and to a lesser extent Adrick, you never really got this. Plus he's brimming over with personality and, as I mentioned, the bi-sexual thing was really well done, pitch perfect.

I never really found the Daleks to be all that overwhelming a force, so some of the episodes were a little flat. Were I going to choose an ultimate enemy to fight, the Daleks would be pretty high on my list - the Borg would take them out without blinking. They just don't have that much going for them. I sort of wish they had made up a new ultimate enemy to be on the other side in the time war, but I can understand the need to tie in which the older stuff, where having a really scary voice and an imperviousness to late 20th century small arms fire was enough to make them really formidable, even if they couldn't make it up or down stairs or steep inclines.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a Doctor Who episode in any incarnation, but I am wildly interested in seeing the new ones, mostly because John Barrowman's in it (as Captain Jack) - he's one of my favorite stage actors, plus he's HOT. [Smile] And also because Billie Piper's in it (as Rose), and I've been quite curious to see what she's been up to since she stopped recording.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.