FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Joss Whedon ( Firefly creator ) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Joss Whedon ( Firefly creator )
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. He complains that he was forced to make Mal more lighthearted than he wanted, but I wouldn't have enjoyed Firefly with a different Mal. I think he's a great guy, with a great mind who just needs to be tempered a bit.
I agree. I think Mal improved once he was forced to make him a little lighthearted.

Although I still get shivers every time Mal tells Jane "Walk away from this table right now." in Serenity. [Angst]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I don't think it was just fox that intervened and toned him down... I think it was Nathan Fillion too. In fact all the actors kinda took Whedon's characters and made em a little more lighthearted and Whedon kinda eventually just went with the flow. Least that was the impression I got from listening to the commentary.
Whedon really doesn't seem like a guy who goes with the flow, he seems like a perfectionist.

I didn't like the way Mal and Jayne became silly. I think Wash gives us all the silly we need (too much, actually).

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Different strokes, then.

<-- loves the silly

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Impression I got was that FOX forced the change on Mal. THe other actors had their moments (like Wash getting wilder in his flight reactions when Whedon wasn't directing) but for the part they stayed true to his vision.

In Serenity (the movie), while there is humor all over the place, Mal is probably closer to what Whedon originally intended. With reason, he doesn't suddenly get moody or anything.

[ July 11, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Chris Bridges ]

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
About Wesley's change in Angel:

It's been a while since I've watched some of the older episodes of Angel. To be truthful I haven't had the chance to watch it from beginning to end like I've been doing with Buffy (currently on 7th season) but I was pretty into it back when it was on WB.

As far as I can recall I didn't find Wesley's evolution to be half bad. I can't really vouch for his fighting skills or anything but as I understand it watchers are trained to be able to defend themselves. I don't know, I simply didn't think his changes were too sudden.

I really liked what they did with him and the prophecy though, I thought his transition from cheery to moody was done very well.

I have to agree though, some of the best episodes are in the 5th season when Spike joined in. However there's a fair share of good episodes in the other seasons as well.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
RICO! [Big Grin] A question came up in another thread as to when Spike decided that since he didn't have a soul, he wasn't responsible for his actions while an evil vampire. Did this occur on Buffy or was it not brought up until Angel? I've only seen snippets of Angel 5th season, and since I watched those while you were around, I thought you might have a better idea. Do you?
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

Actually, Giles went through the exact same transformation. He was the bumbling fool (physically) until Wesley showed up, and then all of a sudden he was impressive and Wesley was the incompetent one.
Amanecer
Member # 4068

I remember Giles being significantly competent long before Wesley entered the picture. He helped Buffy slay vampires in the first season. He certainly became more competent as the series progressed, but that makes sense. He gained a lot more experience and skill.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I haven't seen much Buffy, but I have been giving it a try by watching a couple of reruns. Currently they're doing the episodes when Wesley arrives and in the one I saw he managed to make Giles look like a fool pretty often. ::shrugs::

Buffy still doesn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just dead inside or something but I HATE Willow.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

Hey Amanecer! [Wave]

I haven't finished watching the last season of Buffy so it possible that he may say that during Buffy. I don't think it was brought up until he was in Angel though. He's really more "together" when he's in Angel and more as if he's come to terms with having a soul.

Having said that, I think that after I finish watching Buffy I'm going to try to pick up Angel and watch it all the way through. I really enjoy both shows.

I should watch Firefly someday too... If Buffy and Angel are any indication the show and the movie are going to be amazing! [Big Grin]

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Maybe I'm just dead inside or something but I HATE Willow.
*GASPS* Hate Willow? [Cry] That's a first. Yes, you must be dead inside. No other explanation.

quote:
I should watch Firefly someday too...
If somebody were to say... I dunno, buy it for my birthday which just happens to be in a couple of days, you might be able to do just that. [Razz] Hey, get on AIM.
Rico
Member # 7533

Anyone who hates Willow will incur her flaying wrath!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Hating Willow is like hating sunshine and puppies. It's like saying Chocolate is nasty and flowers are ugly.

Are you part of the Addams family perchance?

Pix

Willow is my hero.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I think that Willow started turning evil back when she started getting into witchcraft.

Time after time, she decides that since she is able to do something, she has the right to do it.

(Of course, Buffy does pretty much the same thing, but that's no excuse.)

Willow turned evil long before she got the black hair.

I really miss nerdly Willow. I liked her.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

One of my favorite quotes of the whole series:

quote:
"What's this? Sitting around watching the telly while there's evil still afoot?"
"That's not very industrious of you. I say we go out there and kick a little demon ass!"
"What, can't go without your Buffy, is that it? Too chicken? Let's find her! She is the Chosen One after all."
"Come on!"
"Vampires! Grrr! Nasty! Let's annihilate them. For justice...and...for...the safety of puppies...and Christmas, right? Let's fight that evil! Let's kill something!"
"Oh, come on!"

ailurophobic
Member # 8343

- posted      Profile for ailurophobic   Email ailurophobic         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap, I loved that one.

I wasn't much a fan of Spike when he was going through that whole "omg lovesick" thing, though. It just made him seem so.. wimpy. Then again, I guess he is William the Bloody at heart.

I miss Oz.

Posts: 71 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

Nerdy Willow was the best.
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I tended to like Willow's significant others more than Willow herself. Although, now that I think of it, I don't particularly like any of the three main characters (Buffy, Willow, Xander) but I still love the show.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I like Xander and nerdy Willow. I never cared for Buffy.

But I have a serious crush on Tara.

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I adore Tara! Heck, if Tara wanted to date me, I'd go gay, too!

<--- Listening to "Under Your Spell" right now.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Tara rocks! Her character is truly beautiful. She reminds me of my older, non-gay, sister.

However, I hated the "Under Your Spell" song. It's so self depreciating and the oral sex didn't help either.

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
When wasn't Tara self-deprecating? Ever?
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

Very true. I didn't care for her in the 4th season because of it. Then in 5th and 6th they made her wonderful and part of that was due to her increased confidence. Just because she is self-depreciating, doesn't mean I enjoy hearing a whole song about how she's not worth anything without Willow.
Rico
Member # 7533

Yeah Tara... I actually didn't like her at the very beginning but she sort of grew on me as the show went on.

Yes I know Amanecer... You told me that would happen... blah blah blah you were right, I don't wanna hear it! [Big Grin]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

I think that the point of the song was that Willow was the catalyst that made Tara strong. I admit that taken on it's own it's very self-deprecating, but when you take it in context and realize that in the next episode Tara leaves Willow, it's a lot more complex than that.

Oh, and I love the dirtiness, but that's me.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't like Xander? He was always the most interesting to me. How does he survive? He's *nothing* compared to the people he hangs out with and he's completely and utterly powerless to help with all the insanity that wanders in and out of his life. And yet, he's successful and sane?

"Seven years, Dawn."

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

quote:
Yes I know Amanecer... You told me that would happen... blah blah blah you were right, I don't wanna hear it!
Haven't said a word and wasn't planning to. [Smile]

quote:
I think that the point of the song was that Willow was the catalyst that made Tara strong. I admit that taken on it's own it's very self-deprecating, but when you take it in context and realize that in the next episode Tara leaves Willow, it's a lot more complex than that.
I can understand are respect that view. [Smile] But I still don't like the song. [Razz]
blacwolve
Member # 2972

I like him more in the seventh season. It's not that I really dislike any of them, I just don't adore them the way I adore Tara and Oz and Dawn and Spike. Well, I really don't adore any of them the way I adore Spike, but that's not really the issue. [Wink]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I don't care for that song either, but she has a beautiful voice.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually just about to finish Season 3 for the first time, and then I'll head into watching Season 4 parallel with Angel 1.

Wonderful. Simply wonderful.

I will say that Buffy Season 2 had some of the best hours of television I've ever seen.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

We tried doing the Angel and Buffy parallel, but season 3 of Angle just couldn't compete with season 6 of Buffy, so we left angel by the wayside.

We need to go back now and finish Angel.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.