FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Favorite Latin Motto! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Latin Motto!
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
What was the quote in the Oracle's kitchen in the Matrix?

I think it was "know thy self"

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Tante! I hear PRN all the time, but no one ever knows what the initials stand for. [Cool]
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, that was one of the only two things you've been telling me since October. Poetry like Yoda you said that I write, and that the other one was.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he keeps telling you for a reason.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan Howard:
quote:
Sumus quod sumus.
Reminds me of a Professor Harvey Narrol song:

"We're here, because we're here, because we're here,
We're here, because we're here, because we're here;
We're here, because we're here, because we're here -
We're here, because we're here, because we're here!"

I thought that was Rush? [Wink]
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy - of course he keeps telling me for a reason. But he finds nothing else to say.

And Jim-Thee - I know that Professor Harvey Narrol sang it to me in person, I don't know the origin, though.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
I was joking... Rush's "Roll the Bones" features "Why are we here? Because we're here..." in the chorus.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is indeed supposed to be Canem. Mostly because I mstarted using it randomly after one of our classes watched Dead Poet's Society, and most of the class was on a spree of saying "Carpe Diem". I was hoping Carpe Canem would confuse some of them enough to make their heads explode.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

I still loved "semper in excreto, sed profundum variat", or something very similar.

What about "nunquam cogitas - ergo non es"? my own variant.

[ July 13, 2005, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: Jonathan Howard ]

King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Nemo me lacessit impune

Nobody better f*ck wit' me. Or in more formal language, "Nobody touches me with impunity."

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

of course he keeps telling me for a reason. But he finds nothing else to say

I find plenty to say to other people. It's just that this is all I apparently have to say to you. [Razz]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wordman
Member # 1307

- posted      Profile for wordman           Edit/Delete Post 
"Romanes eunt domus [People named Romanes, they go the house]," later corrected to "Romani ite domum [Romans go home]" in The Life of Brian.

The best Latin lesson ever, given by John Cleese.

[ July 14, 2005, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: wordman ]

Posts: 781 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
It's just that this is all I apparently have to say to you.
Because you think I'm monotonous. :-p
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.