FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » IOC drop baseball and softball

Author Topic: IOC drop baseball and softball
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Idiots On Crack

This seems ridiculous to me. Why keep boring unpopular sports that few countries even participate in, and get rid popular sports that a majority of the countries in the IOC plays and gives high attendence to.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
The reasons that I remember being given were:

1. The stigma of steroid-use in professional baseball.

2. Lack of participation by any major US ball players.

3. Lack of true competition (softball).

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
4. Watching baseball is more boring then watching someone watch baseball.

5. Europeans are out to get at America... by getting rid of baseball... because baseball is only big in America... as has been said...

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for badminton. Any sport you can play with a cold beer in one hand and a racquet or ball in the other is OK by me.
What kills me is that it would be much easier to drink a beer while playing baseball than playing badminton.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lack of participation by any major US ball players.

that's ridiculous. So only if big-name Major Leaguers come and play is it a worthhile sport? I thought the Olympics were supposed to be about amateur competitions anyway.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well that doesn't make them GOOD reasons. There's just as much a stigma of steroid use by other sports, just like the author of that article said.

I don't think lack of competition really counts as a viable excuse. Plenty of sports are dominated by a few countries, no one complains about them. Besides, like the article states, there are more than a hundred other national softball teams.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point is that the best players in the world don't even bother to compete in the Olympics.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
that's ridiculous. So only if big-name Major Leaguers come and play is it a worthhile sport? I thought the Olympics were supposed to be about amateur competitions anyway
I was only repeating the reasons that I remember being given, not what I personally think. Put away the torches and pitchforks!!! [Razz]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
The amateur thing has been dead for over a decade, since the "Dream Teams" were allowed.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

What sports AREN'T amateur, so far as the United States goes. Only NBA players are allowed in to play basketball. Pro MLB players aren't, Pro NHL players play, but they are from such a diverse array of nations that it doesn't matter. Football isn't even a major sport, and the MLS isn't really big enough or powerful enough to make a difference.

And those are the pro teams. Everything else is either college men and women, or veterans.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh. That article, while long on rhetoric and a little short on support, made some sense until the end, when he implied (I think?) that the IOC should drop soccer instead of baseball, just because Americans don't like it as much as Europe? Soccer/football is the favorite sport of the world. Not just Europe. I mean, I guess I get where he was going with that, but it's not a very well-written closing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He wasn't saying that soccer should be dropped. He was saying that Europe should suck it up and stop using the IOC to take a swing at the US.

And that the US never said that the IOC should drop soccer cause they don't play, Europe shouldn't get the IOC to drop softball just because they don't play.

Zamphyr
Member # 6213

- posted      Profile for Zamphyr           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that guy didn't read the IOC press release did he ? Steroid scandal, get real.

It's all financial. What's Greece (or any other country that doesn't play) supposed to do with a baseball stadium after the Olympics ?

Posts: 349 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
This article is one of the worst editorials I have run across. The rhetoric is over the top.

The U.S., Cuba, and Japan are the only countries that play softball or baseball in any substantial way. Other countries may field teams for the Olympics, but those teams are similar to U.S. teams for cricket - they exist, but few people know or care about them. Baseball is the American pastime, but it really can't claim to be an international sport. There's only one nation that plays in the World Series.

Cricket, in comparison, has ongoing major games between 10 different nations, with 32 other countries playing minor games. And soccer is the international sport - South America, Europe, and much of Asia is crazy about the game.

I think it's pretty stupid that baseball and softball were ever included in the Olympics.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Please.

PING PONG is an Olympic sport? But not softball?

And give me a break, most of the softball games weren't played in stadiums at the Athens games, did you actually WATCH any of them? They were played on the equivilant of a high school baseball diamond.

Not building a baseball stadium for one sport is a worthy argument, but lack of teams to play the sport is not. Most of Latin America plays baseball in fairly substantial ways. Look at the last names of half the stars in the MLB.

Field Hockey had few if any participants from Africa, Oceania or Asia, but it's still in there, and requires a field to be played on. Same thing for Handball.

Equestrian is EXTREMELY expensive, and lacks real popularity or competition outside of Europe.

In 2000 and 2004 there was low overall worldwide participation in most water sports, especially synchronized swimming, water polo and diving.

There are far more niche sports that currently are IN the Olympics, and plenty more that want in as well (i.e Squash, Karate, Rugby and Golf). If those that are in, are still in, softball and baseball should be able to stay.

jebus202
Member # 2524

Hey Lyrhawn, everyone's out to get you.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Lyr, I got what he was trying to say. Although I think his logic is flawed. But he didn't say it well, and it ended up with him looking even more irrationally angry and rather stupid. He needs a good editor.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Hey jebus, you seldom say things of substance or value.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Oh well I'll certainly grant you that KQ. He went about making his point entirely the wrong way.

But I think his point, when you get through the layers of crap he shielded it with, is still a valid one. I'll join in the bashing of his article. It was funny, but other than comedic value it was poorly written.

When you remove the rhetoric from the point though, the point still stands.

jebus202
Member # 2524

Your paranoia is funny.

Better?

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Slightly.

It's more insulting, less creepy.

But at least mildly entertaining.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

jebus, may I stroke your neck? Nice kitty...

*laughs creepy cat lady laugh*

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Better phrased, just still lacking in substance...

as usual.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so you know, fencing was also on the chopping block of the IOC.

Meaning, the fencing community has been fairly concerned for quite awhile that our sport would be eliminated from the Olympics. Fencing!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
MLB has announced the 2006 World Baseball Classic. We will still be able to see International baseball, with professional players!
Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
Wow, that guy didn't read the IOC press release did he ? Steroid scandal, get real.

It's all financial. What's Greece (or any other country that doesn't play) supposed to do with a baseball stadium after the Olympics ?

I never claimed to read the IOC press release. The information that I remembered hearing came from (I believe) CNN or MSNBC. I'll try to find it just to make sure that I didn't inadvertently merge two articles in my mind. [Smile]
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Yeah!!! I wasn't imagining it.

Article mentioning steroids
quote:
The lack of the MLB players - I think people have looked and said, "Well, all right, if there's to be a change, that seems to be the logic of it," British IOC member Craig Reedie said.

Baseball's steroid problem in the United States was cited as another factor. While Major League Baseball has toughened its drug-testing programs, they still fall far short of Olympic standards.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.