FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ripping music from games

Author Topic: Ripping music from games
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who ripped all the music from the games that he played into mp3's. He left town and I don't have contact with him anymore, but I've been trying to figure out how he did it (In other words, what software he used to do so). Anyone here have any idea how to do this?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a free program called Audacity that can record any sound that your computer is playing.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Or you could try looking in the game directory on your computer (assuming you are talking about computer games). Often they will have a sound/music folder where you can just grab the music right there without any hassle at all.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Often times, you can download them somewhere. Homeworld and CNC Generals are good examples.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Audacity is WONDERFUL, and not just for that. I used it a lot for the Reading Out Loud Club, and JenniK uses it to practice singing for her audition at Disney next month.

It is free, and here is a link to download it. Do a google search for it and you will find a lot of guides for different uses too.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ailurophobic
Member # 8343

- posted      Profile for ailurophobic   Email ailurophobic         Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of game is it? I know where to get some RPG music (and basic tutorials on ripping the songs), but otherwise..
Posts: 71 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Goldwave is a program that I've really liked as well. I actually hooked up my Playstation to my computer and made a soundtrack to Final Fantasy X-2 using that program, along with turning a great many records, tapes and streaming audio into CDs with it. It's not free, but it has an unrestricted demo that, unless you're using it professionally, will never run out. I've used it for many years quite regularly, and I've never come close to using up the demo period between hard-drive reformats. It has loads of incredibly useful features, and it's very easy to use.

I'll have to check out Audacity, but if it's better than Goldwave, I'll be shocked.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Audacity is teh awesome.

Only thing: make sure you download LAME too, to be able to convert the .wav files to mp3 format when you're done.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, LAME is free as well, and that is how Audacity converts it's files to other, more universal formats like mp3 and .wav files.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
And then you could also look around to see if the game's soundtrack is available to purchase, or to download from the official site. You might be surprised how often this is the case.

This is a pretty good source; they even have sheet music.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered a couple things from gamemusic.com, before I realized that they cost about half as much if you buy them through ebay, or some similar source.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.