FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 11)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother dreamt of frozen chickens throughout her pregnancies with me and my sister.

No frozen chicken dreams when she was pregnant with my brother though.

Weird.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! That has got to be one of the weirdest gender prediction methods I've ever heard of.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I was on the phone hearing about my mom's dream-- which she wasn't going to tell unless we asked about if she had a guess-- and KPC's response to her was, "Next time dream about a boy, okay?" (To which her response was, "What next time?!?" "You know, maybe in four years or so." "We hope..." said my mother.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Have you told her how many kids you want to ultimately have?

I'm kinda scared about when Tony and I do decide to start, because I know my mother will think I'm too young.

I suspect she'd still think I was too young if I was 60.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

She knows. But she also knows that we would prefer 3 years spacing to 2. Which is apparently what we're getting. And that this pregnancy was not in the plans right now. (As it turns out, my brother wasn't planned, either. But she never brought that up until I had an unplanned pregnancy and needed comfort.)
imogen
Member # 5485

I see. I read that comment as "You're having *more*?" - which it obviously wasn't. It would be something my Mother might say though. I'm projecting. [Smile]

Hopefully things will slow down now for a while. And then your two older girls can get a little brother to fawn over and play dress ups with. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, yes. I remember fondly dressing my brother up in all kinds of skirted costumes. [Big Grin]

I remember better because my mom took pictures. [Evil]

And yes, she meant that she hopes next time our BC will work better, so it can be completely happy when I'm pregnant again, and not me calling her crying and freaking out. And she seems to think we're good parents or something. And she enjoys spoiling grandchildren, apparently.

Also, she had four of her own, and that was even with an eight-year gap between her two husbands, so she's not really against large families per se. [Wink]

imogen
Member # 5485

I have photos of my little brother looking *beautiful* in a tutu.

We called him "Josephine" (his real name is Joseph) - he made a very pretty girl actually. Ridiculously long eyelashes.

I have a feeling the photos might make an appearance at his 21st.
[Evil]

imogen
Member # 5485

I should add - I think I'm portraying my Mum in a bad light here. It's not that she's against families, or babies. Hey, she had my sister at 42, after previoulsy deciding two was enough, because she wanted another baby!

I think the issue is she's against *her baby* (ie, me) having babies. At least any time in the next century. I'm sure she'll get over it as soon as I do actually start though. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that's what happened with my dad. I think.

At least, I hope he's over it.

He always takes a while to get used to changes and new developments, so it's hard to tell.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's so cool that you and my SIL are due the same time. I wish she'd hurry up and get her ultrasound done. Mid December, I think. I'm hoping for a girl, although I'm trying to suppress that hope.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, they did mine to determine fetal age, but he got a clear shot and we're far enough along that he went ahead and asked if we wanted to know. (I actually didn't, but we had discussed ahead of time that we're compromising, and knowing this time but I reserve the right to not know next time.)

I too think it's cool that we're due at the same time. [Big Grin] It's like having a pregnancy buddy!

And it's okay to hope for one or the other. Jeff was hoping for a boy, but since he's not going to love it any less as a girl, he's not disappointed, so it's okay. I know you won't love it any less as a boy, and you know, the excitement switches right away from, "Gee, I hope it's a boy this time!" to "It's a girl! Wow, we already have a name picked out!" pretty much instantaneously when you're wrong, so go ahead and hope, it's all part of the excitement. [Big Grin]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it common for mommies and daddies to be to have a strong feeling about the gender of the baby before it's born?

I only ask because both Jon Boy and I felt pretty strongly that we were having a boy before the ultrasound confirmed it.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think it might be. But I think that half the time mommies and daddies are wrong-- we really thought Emma was a boy, although I thought this one was a girl.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I started feeling kicking a little last night-- enough that Jeff could feel it very faintly.

Well, just now, this child kicked me hard! Three times in a row!

I think I'm being sent a message.

"Mom, I'm HUNGRY!!!" [Big Grin]

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think the issue is she's against *her baby* (ie, me) having babies. At least any time in the next century. I'm sure she'll get over it as soon as I do actually start though.
imogen, my mom was the same way and she ADORES being a grandma now. She not only thought I was too young, but she was too young to be a grandma. [Smile]
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
divaesefani
Member # 3763

- posted      Profile for divaesefani   Email divaesefani         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
Is it common for mommies and daddies to be to have a strong feeling about the gender of the baby before it's born?

I only ask because both Jon Boy and I felt pretty strongly that we were having a boy before the ultrasound confirmed it.

I knew for sure that Tyler was a girl before the ultrasound clearly showed he was a boy. It took me a week to get used to the idea! I ended up being so happy it was a boy.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, I have noticed that our baby tends to be much more active when I'm hungry. I wondered if it was just coincidence or if he was trying to send me a message. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think it's a kind of restlessness/mild distress. "Why do I not have as much sugar coming to me? I don't care how you feel, my blood sugar is low! FEED ME!" [Wink]

You know, akin to when Emma grabs my hand and resolutely leads me to the refrigerator and points and says, "Door." And if I don't open it, she repeats the process and says, "Door DOOR! Do door!" Or like a 5-year-old in the car. "I'm hungry, Mommy." "We'll be home soon." A minute later: "I'm HUNGRY, Mommy!" "You need to wait, we'll be home soon."
"I'm hungry NOW!!!"

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, kq! Another sweet baby girl to love. Is Emma happy about having a baby sister?

My mother and mother-in-law are already campaigning for a little sister for Aerin (adopted).

Andrew had a feeling that Aerin was a girl, but I knew that she was a boy. Whoops. I was shocked when the ultrasound tech said she was a girl. I walked around in a daze for the rest of the day. Thank goodness she was a girl - girl preemies do better than boys (black girls actually do the best).

Brinestone, how exciting about your little guy!

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Is Emma happy about having a baby sister?
Well. I don't think she fully understands yet; we've read books and she says yes if you ask her if there's a baby in Mommy's tummy, but I don't really know that she gets that some time not too far away that baby is going to come out of Mommy's tummy and eventually share a room with her. And she agrees that "our" baby is going to be pretty like Aerin, but is reserving her opinion on whether she's going to love it. [ROFL] And then there's the whole boy/girl issue; I'm not sure how much she understands of that. Or the "sister" concept, for that matter.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oh, and tonight KPC finally gave in on the middle name I want! Yay! Apparently "it grew on him." [Big Grin] )
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*sigh* I was so hoping for a more mellow, calmer child this time.

I'm being kicked constantly. In fact, I have been for a few days now. The child seems to be turning flips. Emma did the same thing, and she is one of the most hyper children our family has yet seen. *sigh* I was just really hoping the next one wouldn't be quite so hyper...

Brinestone
Member # 5755

Holy cow! I'm getting huge really, really fast.

Tuesday night I tried on a pair of jeans, wondering if they still fit me. I wanted to bring them on our trip to Denver for Thanksgiving. They were a little snug, but I could definitely still get them on.

Friday morning, I'm getting dressed. I pull out the jeans, and I can't get them within an inch of buttoning up. In three days, I have completely grown out of a pair of pants! And I don't think it's just because of Thanksgiving dinner. [Wink]

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thank goodness she was a girl - girl preemies do better than boys (black girls actually do the best).

That's fascinating. Do they know why?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*wants to know too*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and Brinestone, I remember that. I went through periods where I would outgrow 5 outfits in a day or two. Then nothing. Then 10 more next week!
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
The worst stage for me was the in between maternity clothes and normal clothes. I hated that.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, me too! And it got earlier and earlier with each pregnancy ... by the last one I was starting to show before I knew I was pregnant!

I also hated the time at the END when I was growing out of my maternity clothes....

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, seriously, I need to see Pregnant Ruth. You are probably the cutest pregnant lady ever! I think we should have a get together at the beginning of next semester!
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My other least favorite time is after the baby is born and nothing fits. I'm to small for the maternity clothes and to big for my normal clothes.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's when I LOOOOVE my stretchy pants from Target.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I can't sleep. [Frown]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

HIPS!

Early in my second trimester, I started getting aches in my pelvis for days. I asked my doctor about it, but I don't remember what she said.

Lately I've realized that I'm waddling more because my legs are farther apart than they've ever been before. I've also gotten some stretch marks on my hips.

I've always been slender, and my hips were so narrow that I hardly looked female. Now there's no mistaking me. I'm glad my body has been sending messages to widen my hips, though, because I'm not sure how a baby would have made it out of me the way I was before.

Still, the most painful part of this pregnancy so far has been the lower back pain I've had as a result of the rapid expansion of my hips.

Do all women's hips expand in pregnancy, or did I just get lucky because I was so little beforehand?

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine did ... horribly. The only place I got stretch marks was on my hips. And the most pain was from my lower back getting out of bed in the morning. Turning over in bed almost made me cry out every time, as I could feel the two halves of my pelvic bones rub against each other. (Hard to describe.)

The only thing that helped was when we got a new mattress. Suddenly I could sleep again, and walk in the mornings. I had no idea it was exacerbated by my lousy mattress. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Loosening ligaments! I have been suffering from that lately. Of course, it was expected. You have to take some care as you move about not to injure yourself. Pinched nerves and strained ligaments are no fun.

I've always had hips, so I dunno about that. [Smile] But I have been told again and again that hip width has *nothing* to do with space for the baby to come out. That is the bony ring in the pelvis and can accompany hips of any size. Though someone else may know more about this than me. The loosening ligaments help that bony ring to be more accommodating whatever your situation. I don't think that would cause your actual hip joints to widen, though.

I understand that pregnancy can widen one's ribcage though. It seems to have done that for me.

What is happening is probably this: You're gaining nutrition stores for your baby. Yeah, fat. Females have certain places they are programmed to store fat in, and those places vary from person to person.

:fights urge to complain about areas her own body is programmed to store fat:

It is a necessary thing, it is a *good* thing. Especially for someone so thin. You will still have those hips after he is born, and I have no idea whether that is something you are happy to hear or not. You can always lose the weight, and for you, I imagine it wouldn't be very hard. [Smile]

Stretch marks happen. They lighten considerably with time, but they do't go away entirely, whatever the cosmetic salespeople say.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Oh, I have no doubt that I have been building up fat stores, but I'm not sure they're in my hips. They still feel really bony. [Smile] I tend to store fat in my thighs.

And if pregnancy widened my ribcage, it would make buying bras a lot easier on me.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]

I can't describe how happy I am right now. With my first two pregnancies I had diet controlled gestational diabetes (Atkins w/ 1st and diabetic diet w/ 2nd). This time I don't even have to take the 3-hour glucose test. I passed the 1-hour test! Woohoo!!! I think going to the gym has definitely helped my metabolism. I am so excited not to have to be on the diabetic diet for Christmas. That was going to be the pits.

Now we start the every two week visits. Twelve more weeks to go.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Congrats, Mama! Though I've never been diagnosed with GD, having failed the 1 hour test the first two pregnancies, I tend to hold my breath. I was given a clean bill of health this time 'round too. [Smile]

Ruth, movin' on up in the world! Hopefully bra-shopping will be quite a bit easier on you after this.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Loosening ligaments! I have been suffering from that lately. Of course, it was expected. You have to take some care as you move about not to injure yourself. Pinched nerves and strained ligaments are no fun.

Oh, yeah. I thought it was bad the first time around-- my joints are prone to "popping out of joint" to begin with, and when they began to loosen up, I had about 5 twisted ankles in a row. This time, though, I can't move without making a popping sound in something. My hips, my back, my knees, my ankles, my elbows... it started well before the second trimester this time, too. [Frown] I'm not looking forward to the shooting pains down my legs from pinched nerves. >_<

But yay for no GD!!!

Brinestone
Member # 5755

If my left knee has been aching since dinner last night, might I be suffering from a pinched nerve? Or loosening ligaments?

It gets worse when I stand or walk on it, but I think that may be because I'm vertical more than because I'm putting weight on it. It hurts when I bend it more than 90 degrees.

My right knee did this a few weeks ago, and it finally went away.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that happens. [Frown]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Yeah, I figured it was a pregnancy thing because I didn't do a thing to it to make it mad at me. But I wasn't sure if it was a normal pregnancy thing or a you-should-probably-call-your-doctor pregnancy thing, and I couldn't find anything about it online.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's normal, at least for some of us. *sigh* Count yourself lucky it's not all your joints, on and off. *raises hand*
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope all of our mamas-in-waiting are doing okay. Things are *finally* settling down at our house more and we're getting to see more of Space Space Baby's personality and sweet little toothless grins.

If you haven't got one, or have never tried one, I highly suggest a baby sling. I've got a ring sling and a pouch and am getting ready to order another type. SSB LOVES being worn through the grocery and around the house.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

My last midwife appointment, I complained of ringing in my ears. The nurse said, "Oh yeah, I had that a lot my last pregnancy. Just another pregnancy thing." I expressed surprise, having never heard of that. Her response was priceless: "Anything and everything can be a symptom of pregnancy."

[Big Grin]

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

That is very true. With my fisrt pregnancy, I got the hiccups at least once a day for most of my pregnancy. I told my doctor and she laughed and said it can happen.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Nature sure has a sense of humor sometimes, doesn't it?

All our lives, our bodies scream at us to reproduce, and when we finally acquiesce, they turn on us with a vengeance.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think my body is getting back at me for depriving it of the chance to act out with PMS for more than a year at a time.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
3/4 of the way there. I am 30 weeks today. I had an appt yesterday. As usual the whole family was there for my appt. After I lay down on the table and uncovered my belly for the nurse practitioner to measure and listen, Mooselet looked up at me. Of course my big belly was sticking up. He says "Wow Mommy, you really are going to have a baby!" The NP just started laughing. She was still laughing about it as we were leaving the office.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.