FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 12)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually gaining weight just about right on track this time around (I think those Christmas cookies are helping. [Wink] )

My doctor was very peeved at the lab, though, that or one of his office staff-- my AFP results weren't in my chart, and it had been a month since I was in last. *raises eyebrow*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool, Mama! I was in yesterday as well with all of my kids. I am 32 weeks. I asked the midwife to try and discern the baby's position. My kids were very concerned about whether or not she was hurting me. [Smile]

My son said that the heartbeat sounded like wind. [Smile] [Smile]

KQ, I have already passed my weight goal. -_- I passed it awhile ago. -_- The Christmas cookies are definitely helping. -_- -_-

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...And still no call about the AFP. I'm thinking I should call tomorrow and see if they forgot or if they haven't got them back yet.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
*inches into third trimester*
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congrats and commiserations on the third trimester, Brinestone.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The recent plane travel made my tissues go poof. I am now wearing support stockings every day, and feel like an old lady. [Mad]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Also, I'm HUNGRY! [Cry]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Some pictures of Geoff & Heather's daughter Zoe Lyanna Card (made available with permission, captions by grandpa).

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Soooo cute. [Big Grin]
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard from Miriya?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my GOODNESS, what an adorable baby!

(Not sucking up, really I'm not, it's just that mine are getting so old now.... *sniff*)

Thanks for the pictures, Papa.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I've been having contractions since yesterday. Yesterday they were mild. Today they have been stronger, but extremely erratic. I have no idea what my body is doing, and I have somewhere between 5-6 weeks till due date (depending on which one you use.)

Thankfully, I have an appointment tomorrow morning.

<---frustrated

Edit: Dang, that *is* a cute baby!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

bev, I've been having strong-enough-to-hurt Braxton-Hicks, two to three an hour, for the past 5 1/2 or so weeks. I sympathize.
beverly
Member # 6246

Wow! You aren't too far a long yet, are you KQ?

This evening a lot of the contractions were 3-5 minutes apart. But that is pretty normal for me. They have slowed down now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm at about 23 weeks. Quoth my doctor, "Wow, that is a lot this early. Definitely tell us if they get harder or any more frequent." [Roll Eyes]

My mother had this with two of the four of us. With my brother it was actually bad enough that they had to put her on muscle relaxants-- which meant that she had to have pitocin after he was born. And her doctor only authorized one Tylenol with Codeine while she had the pitocin.

She made them call him up in the middle of the night and authorize more.

beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
And her doctor only authorized one Tylenol with Codeine while she had the pitocin.
[Eek!]

I have never felt the effects of pitocin without an epidural. I have heard such horror stories about the evil stuff.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute cute captions.

Oh, and cute baby too.

[Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I have never felt the effects of pitocin without an epidural. I have heard such horror stories about the evil stuff.
Yeah, it's evil. My doctor didn't believe in epidurals until you progressed past a certain point. Evil, evil, evil.

He gave me the medicine when I had progressed past the throwing up and screaming to dangerously low blood pressure and "I can't do this, I quit." And told them that my pain was at 9 1/2 out of 10, 10 being "the worst pain imaginable, ever."

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, hi to everyone. I get to jump on the baby bandwagon now!

Some of you may have seen me post a little before but I'm not really active on this side of the forums. I've been more active on the OSC side and the Writer's Workshop side. And I wrote "Respite" for the first issue of OSCIMS.

Anyway, I've just found out that I'm pregnant with my second baby.

EDIT: Well, even after using the URL button it didn't work, plus the site is password protected, so I'll have to find another way to link to Claire's 'tree frog' picture.

I have my first Dr. appt. on Monday, which I can hardly wait for because my cycle is so irregular that I could have conceived anytime since mid October. I think it was possibly late November though, cause I bet I'd have more symptoms by now if it wasn't.

The fatigue and breast tenderness have kicked in with a vengeance, as have the frequent potty stops. So far no nausea, which I'm thanking my lucky stars for because my first pregnancy I had it all eight months.

And I got preeclampsia and was on bed rest, then induced a month early because my placenta was calcifying. I had really wanted a home underwater birth but that went out the window with the complications. I'm really glad I ended up at the hospital though because we both would have died if I'd stayed home. I was on the verge of seizures and full blown eclampsia, and Claire was born with an Apgar of 1. Luckily she improved quickly (they think gestationally she would have actually taken another six weeks, not the originally estimated four) was only in the Nicu for two days. In fact she was ready to leave the hospital before Mommy, cause my blood pressure refused to stabilize.

But all's well that ends well, and since I estimate that I'm anywhere between 5 and 9 weeks pregnant at this point with no nausea, I hope this pregnancy will go better.

A negative is that I've already noticed a tummy bulge. I never did toning after Claire was born, and I regret it now. Oh well.

It will be nice to have other women to commiserate and rejoice with this time around; my first pregnancy I was so sick the entire time that most of it is a blur and I think my brain just shut down to cope.

So, hello to all of you! I've read this entire thread, plus all the welcome baby ones, so I know you all better than you know me. But I look forward to actually interacting instead of lurking, if that's okay.

[ January 05, 2006, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: R. Ann Dryden ]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
If you post your reply in the Full Reply Form, you'll have a button that says URL. When you click on that, a dialogue box pops up, and you then put in the URL you want. Click OK, then another dialogue box pops up and you enter in the title of the URL. It's pretty intuitive once you click on the URL button.

And you can go back and edit your post and do it like that, too. [Smile]

Please. You broke my screen. [Razz]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

It won't let me onto myspace because I don't have an account. And I was looking forward to the tree frog pose!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, congratulations! I hope this one goes smoothly for you. How is your family taking the news?

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!

[Smile] My tummy bulged really quickly with my second one, too - a friend asked when I was due before I had told anyone.

And with the third one, one of my symptoms that let me know I was expecting was that my jeans didn't fit. *sigh*

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
My family is waiting to hear from the doctor before they even believe I'm pregnant. I told my mom that home pregnancy tests are over 99% accurate, and I've taken three different ones on three different days at different times of the day even, but she's still sceptical. Plus, I KNOW I'm pregnant, but I guess my mom doesn't trust my intuition.

My husband SAYS he believes me, but still won't talk about anything until we've seen the Dr.

So I don't really have anyone to talk to about it.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
The first time I went to the doctor, I absolutely could not pee in the cup, so I don't think they actually confirmed my pregnancy. But at eight weeks, I had an ultrasound for the study I'm in, so I actually saw the baby.

For half a second, I looked up at the monitor and thought, "Oh no! There's no baby there! I'm not pregnant after all!"

And then the technician showed me where the baby's head, torso, and little arm and leg stubs were, and I grinned from ear to ear.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have really irregular periods, too. Both times, they've done ultrasounds just to try to date the pregnancy. (Last time, I had 5 and got 5 slightly different dates. [Roll Eyes] And apparently, none of them was right. This time, only one so far, we'll see.)
beverly
Member # 6246

Congrats, R. Ann! It is *so* nice to be able to talk to people about it and share all the range of emotions you go through.

I went to the midwife for my regular checkup this morning. They made it clear that they will do all in their power to stop a birth for up to the next two weeks. They don't like that I am contracting so much.

I am supposed to keep contractions down between 10-12 per day! Does that sound ridiculous to anyone else? I think I have surpassed my quota for the day already. I have been instructed to take it easy, lay down when I can, and drink lots of water to try and keep them down. If I am not successful, they say they will order me on bedrest. [Frown] [Frown]

I do *not* want to have to have them medically stop the contractions. I have heard that the medication they use can be *very* unpleasant.

I just need to get through the next two weeks. After that, I'm not gonna hold back on being as active as I need/want to! ( [Razz] @ the medical community)

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Bev, I'm sorry. The medicine is not fun, from what I hear, and bedrest isn't any picnic, either. And telling you to keep it down to 10-12 a day-- I'm shocked at the nerve. [Razz] No, really, I understand how it is. Being told that you should only have a certain number and having no control over it, what exactly are you supposed to do? Give your uterus a stern talking-to? Doesn't work that way. *sigh*
beverly
Member # 6246

Well, supposedly I do have some control over it--taking rest and keeping hydrated. If the contractions keep "misbehaving", they will take more drastic measures.

I was hoping they would check for dialation today, but they won't do that now because it could stimulate contractions.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, but there's only so much resting and hydrating you can do-- I do all that and it does nothing for contractions, this pregnancy or the last. *sigh* Maybe it'll work better for you. *hopes*
KetchupPrinceConsort
Member # 8047

- posted      Profile for KetchupPrinceConsort   Email KetchupPrinceConsort         Edit/Delete Post 
On my way to L&D. I've had 10 in the last hour, they want me to come in. :| (This is Anne, btw.)
Posts: 137 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

[Smile]

It was almost a Tom/Christy post!

imogen
Member # 5485

Oh, and [Smile] about the post.

[Frown] about the contractions.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm fine. Back. As I suspected they would, they went away on their own-- the nurse had the sense to monitor me for an hour before giving medication, since the baby wasn't in distress, even though the doctor would have given it right away. (She was concerned about what the meds can do to people with asthma and wanted to make sure it was necessary if they gave it.) They calmed down enough that I was sent home with orders to rest and drink lots of water, and a prescription (which we filled on the way) for pills I can take to stop them if it happens again. Oh, and instructions to call my Dr. tomorrow and let him know it happened, since the on-call doctor was the one taking care of me. So, it's all good. [Smile]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

My butt is covered in pregnancy stretch marks.

From what I've read, stretch marks are common on the belly, thighs, and breasts during pregnancy. I don't have the slightest hint of one in any of these places, but my butt is covered. It's really creepifying to look at.

Also, it disturbs me to think that my butt has grown more or faster than my belly, considering how huge my belly is.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you have a small butt to begin with? [Wink]

If it's any comfort, they do fade. Eventually. I have very pale skin and inherited my mother's tendency toward awful stretch marks. As in, bright red that turn to dark, dark purple. Even they eventually fade to about the color of scar tissue, and are hardly noticeable. And my mom says after twenty years or so since her last child, you can hardly see them at all.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all will love this. I was in clinic today and just now a couple of the staff rushed up and said that they think a lady in the office was in labor, could I check? And I'm all, like, ME? [Eek!] I haven't had any kids and haven't done any labor stuff in 7 or 8 years.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

KQ: Yeah, it was pretty little. Frankly, it doesn't look a whole lot bigger now, but then, I do have a huge belly that makes it hard to tell.

Theaca: [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, no, Theaca!

Was she in labor?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, Brinestone, if it's any comfort, it will help you keep your maternity clothes on...
Theaca
Member # 8325

Well, she's 32 weeks, having regular, hard contractions every 8 minutes, and her first two kids were preemies younger than this. So her mom took her over to the hospital.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wait... She didn't know she was in labor and it was her third kid? Or she just happened to be there for some other reason? *puzzled*
Theaca
Member # 8325

I've been seeing her for fainting spells during her pregnancy and she failed her last two visits. Not sure why she made today's appointment, of all days. [Dont Know]

Also, her water broke the last two times, that's how she knew to go to the hospital. So this is kind of a first for her, she said.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh. Yeah, I guess that could be confusing if she's never had her water not break before, although you'd think she'd notice those contractions getting regular and wonder!

Maybe she was subconsciously prompting herself that she needed to make this visit because part of her knew she was in labor and should go in, but it wasn't registering with the conscious part.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
The medications for stopping contractions aren't that bad - I was on 3 of them. They're basically muscle relaxers (relaxants?) and are mostly used for high blood pressure. I had some yukky side effects b/c I have normal to low blood pressure, so mine kept dipping. Only the magnesium sulfate was really bad and I doubt you'll be on that, beverly. I found that deep breathing exercises did help to slow my contractions somewhat, but there's nothing that you can really do yourself to stop them. I can't believe they told you to limit them. No one told me that and I was in labor for a month.

kq, I'm so glad yours stopped on their own.

I hope y'all can get to term without bedrest or medication. I'll be praying.

Theaca, I can't believe a woman who had 2 preemies would have a third child. Thirty weeks isn't bad (from my perspective,as the mother of a 26-weeker), but it isn't good, either. I didn't feel any contractions until I went into labor at 25 weeks, but I sure felt them then and I felt them a week later when Aerin was born. That woman sounds like she has issues, I'm sorry to say.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mrs.M, I'm glad too. The medication I was prescribed has side effects of lightheadedness, etc., and I have low blood pressure on a good day. (Extremely low on a bad.) I also have asthma, which it apparently can interfere with. So, I will be trying to avoid taking it by resting and drinking-- which I was already doing. But maybe there's some relaxation or stress-reduction stuff I can do, who knows.

The woman sounds a bit clueless to me, too, although I don't judge her for having three preemies-- some people really feel called to have that many. And then, some are just clueless.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

From GC, it sounds like beverly's on bedrest. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, dear.

I hope it at least stops the contractions.

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

Oh, I hope Beverly doesn't go crazy on bedrest. When I was on bedrest last pregnancy, I made the couch my base so I still had the TV, and my hubbie jury-rigged the computer and bought a wireless mouse and keyboard so I could play games and stuff. It definitely helped keep me sane. Well, sort of sane. I was really loopy most of the time from the drugs and being so sick. But what little brain cells I had appreciated his efforts to help me out.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had an extra-long cord for the keyboard and the bed next to the computer when I was on bedrest. (This was before we had a tv.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I sent my friend Amy some See's when she was on bedrest. I wonder if bev needs See's?
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.