FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 15)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday, I will have an Irish Wolfhound. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a huge sighthound fan in general. I would love to own greyhounds, afghans, whippets and the like, and I wouldn't mind a wolfhound either.

But all of those are wishes that must be put off until I'm in a house instead of a condo. I refuse to own a dog in a condo without even a patio. It's not fair to the animal or to me. So I will wait. Sigh.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know an Italian Greyhound that would much perfer no yard to what she has (which is about a 3 acre fenced yard that she's in when her owners aren't home), she has taken to going to the bathroom in the garage during snow.

I was raised with Airedale terriers, our current one is 90 pounds, and not over weight, but for my own dog, out of my parents house, in a condo or appartment, that I would be walking, I want a small, insane, terrier, so a Welsh was the first choice, though there are quite a few others that would work if I find one in a rescue or shelter situation faster (there was a welsh in my state, on petfinder this fall, I had to edit the parent controls on my computer so I wouldn't email them).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Being sick is no fun. Being pregnant is no fun.

Being this sick while pregnant is horrible. *grumps*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being this sick while pregnant is horrible.
*sympathy* *gentle hugs*

You and Brinestone should start a support group. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the good part is, I seem to be getting over it almost as quickly as Emma did. You know, they say your immune system is supposed to be better when you're pregnant. I've never had any personal experience of that.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned to my ob at my last appt that I had had a cold for more than a week. He said that viral stuff tends to last longer in pregnant women. [Dont Know]
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Being this sick while pregnant is horrible.
Amen. :grrr:

I had a broken tailbone, bladder infection, epidemic pleurodyna, including a couple days of debilitating fever and headache.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mama, having a cold for more than a week isn't normal? I get them all the time that last for, oh, two or three weeks.

bev, I need to talk to my dr. again, I suspect a bladder infection, too. It hurt when I had the ultrasound, and I've been having some pretty bladder-infection-ish symptoms. [Mad]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Colds lasting longer than normal is one thing. Being sick for five weeks is another thing entirely. [Mad]

The good news is that my ear has unplugged (most of the time). The bad news is that the racking cough and severe nasal congestion is back.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ick. [Frown] I'm sorry.
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I was really super healthy with my first. I mean, actually healthier than when I wasn't pregnant.

With my second I did tend to be congested quite a bit, and I was told that was pretty normal during pregnancy.

With my third I developed a cough that started before Christmas - I remember not being able to sing in the Christmas choir - and lasted until he was born, April 25. Dr said it was "bronchiolitis".

With my fourth, I developed the same cough, just a little later in the pregnancy, and it totally wore me down, until the day before she was born when the Dr finally said it was pneumonia.

They won't give you an epidural if you have pneumonia, you know. [Frown]

I think I'm done. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was told by my first doctor that about a third of his asthmatic patients get better, a third get worse, and a third stay the same during pregnancy. I'm in the third that have the asthma get worse. Lucky me. Perhaps that contributes to my immune system seeming more run-down during pregnancy?
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently hormones and estrogen can really affect asthma. Whether it can also affect the immune system, dunno. Apparently some women have fluctuations in asthma control that correlate to the monthly menstrual cycle as well.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

KQ, definitely get it checked out. Bladder infections during pregnancy can do odd things. They have been linked to preterm labor. (Kinda like gingivitis.) They can also be hard to get rid of.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Theaca, I was thinking that when I'm not pregnant and have had trouble with my lungs, I seem to have a weaker immune system. I don't know if there's a real correlation, but can your lungs not functioning right lower your immune response?

bev, that's scary; I'll definitely call if my symptoms don't get better in the next two days.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, call now. I had 4 UTIs when I was pregnant with Aerin. The last one was so bad, I thought my pelvis was separating. My OB described it as "raging" when she got the lab results. You might also want to ask them about GBS (a strep-B infection in the uterus). I had that twice with Aerin. Truly I was the Job of pregnancy.

BTW, Bridget is gorgeous. She takes after her momma and big sister. One of the coolest girls I ever knew was named Bridget, but everyone called her Jet. Niamh is pronounced differently than I thought - it's much prettier than what I was thinking.

Irish Wolfhounds are extremely high maintenance dogs. They require a lot of intensive training. I once saw a video where one destroyed the interior of a car. She actually ripped up the seats themselves, not just the upholstery. Our dogs have been great with Aerin. Our Lhaso Apso totally ignores her, which is great, because he has a tendency to be aggressive towards children. Our Shih Tzu is very curious and has been jumping up on the couch to sniff her. He loves to watch her in her swing for some reason, but he's so stupid that he gets hit with it almost every time.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after the third ultrasound today it is definite that there is no living baby. The hormone levels are dropping as well.

I'm going in for a D&C tomorrow morning, super early. I have to be at the hospital at 5am.

I'm actually doing okay now; I did a fair amount of grieving this past week when the signs all pointed this way. Now that I know for sure I'm almost relieved. I hated being in limbo.

Well, we'll try again in a few months.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

I'm sorry.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry, too.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, that must be hard. Somebody should resurrect the miscarrage support thread. That was some really good stuff.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, R.Ann.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Rachel, I'm so sorry. *hugs*

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

*hug*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

(((Rachel)))

I just bumped this thread for you. Hang in there. [Frown]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((hugs))) I'm so sorry. I wish there was more I could say, but all I can say is, "I'm sorry." [Frown]

I've been at the hospital having IV fluids pumped in me the last couple of hours. They gave me some IV anti-nausea meds right before I left, so hopefully I'll be able to get some liquids down before I fall asleep. Hopefully I will be able to keep more down tomorrow, too.

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

KQ, I had the same thing a couple times in my last pregnancy. No fun. I hope you feel better really soon.

My doctor gave me a pill to soften the cervix tonight in preparation for the D & C. She said there 'may be some bleeding.'

Talk about understatement. I'm having the miscarriage right here at home, complete with labor pain type cramps, heavy bleeding and clots.

I agreed to the D & C specifically to AVOID this situation. And I can't sleep. Not that there's much point; I have to be in the shower by 4 am anyway, only an hour from now.

But because I am having surgury, I can't even drink anything, and I'm very thirsty. Plus I'd like to take a pain med, but I need water to swallow it, and I'm not supposed to eat anyway so I don't know if a pill is okay.

Sorry for venting. I'll just be very very glad when this is over.

Thanks you guys for your support.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry.

Venting here is definitely fine, but that was really only a little bit of a vent. If you want to do a proper job, you really need to get the whine up a few levels. [Frown]

But seriously, that all sucks. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oh my goodness. That was really not a vent given what you are going through.

*very, very, very gentle hugs*

Can your ring your doctor/hospital and check if an analgesic is ok?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Yeah, I would do that if I were you. I would also find a quiet corner and whimper to myself.
imogen
Member # 5485

Of course, I realise now looking at the timestamps you will probably be in hospital by now Rachel.

I hope you're ok, given all the circumstances.

R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

Well, since I did end up miscarrying at home, I didn't need the D & C after all. That's something at least. But that was a tense few hours, full of memories of things I'd rather forget. I still went to the hospital to check in, out of it enough to not even think of calling my doctor and letting her know what happened before leaving. Luckily the nurses at the hospital were thinking more clearly than me, and I called from there.

The doctor cancelled the D & C and sent me home, but I had only been sleeping for 2 hours when they woke me up to come in and be checked. After a 2 hour appointment it was decided that I'm mostly done, and another pill will take care of the rest. No surgery unless there are complications.

So I'm tired and in pain and still a bit emotionally strung tight, but I'm home.

I'm going to try to go back to sleep. Luckily my hubbie is home, so I don't have to be a mommy today for my toddler.

Yay for Vicodin! Goodnight.

beverly
Member # 6246

Rest well. Heal well. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((hugs))) I hope you feel better soon (physically at least.) We're here to listen to anything you need to say. And we love you.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the Vicodin helped you get some sleep and rest. I'm very sorry for what' you've been through and what you're going through now emotionally. (((Rachel)))
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
(((R. Ann))). I'm so sorry. You're in my thoughts. I'm glad your hubbie is able to be there for you.
Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
((hugs))
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

Gosh I love you guys. Anyone who doubts the power of words doesn't have any Internet friends. Maybe that's why writing is so important to me.

Anyway, thanks to all. I feel a bit better and am actually going to a teacher meeting tonight. I've been looking forward to it for a month because I get my class lists for the upcoming semester and meet some neat people, and I'm not gonna let this miscarriage derail my life.

The worst is definitely over, and I feel like I can heal now. And I feel a sense of peace. Thanks all for your prayers and thoughts; you mean a lot to me.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
((Rachel))

I've been thinking of you, and I know everyone else here is too. Be gentle with yourself and do whatever you need to begin healing.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So*, Emma keeps climbing in the new car seat. We picked up a new one because the one we used for her had no LATCH on the base, no canopy, the base was non-adjustable, and was an older-style three-point harness instead of the five-point. Not unsafe, but not as secure. Plus, this was an unbeatable deal-- it was one of last year's patterns of a Graco SnugRide carrier seat (this pattern, to be exact), and since it's the end of January, we found it at Target marked down multiple times on clearance-- to $37.68, original price $149.99. We had a $20 gift card, so that made the total cost to us $17.68. At that price, we can actually possibly make money on it by selling the old one on Ebay! (It's not unsafe or anything, so we don't feel bad about doing that. And someone can get a really cheap carrier car seat. [Smile] ) But anyway, no matter where we put it (we will eventually install the base and put the carrier where the old carrier and base are living right now, but we have to find the thing to charge the batteries on the camera so we can take a picture of the old one to post on Ebay), Emma keeps pulling it down to the floor and climbing in it! She understands that it's for a baby to go in the car in; we buckled her doll Buddy in and talked about it, and later she put him in and sang "Let's Go Riding in the Car" to him in her own inimitable style ("Cah-cah, cah-cah, cah-cah, cah-cah, VWOOOOM!!!" *insane giggling* *repeat*) But she still keeps thinking it's fun to climb in and giggle about it. Once I asked her when she did it, "Are you a baby?" And she nodded and yelled, "Yeah!" very enthusiastically. Right now I'm going the "ignore it as long as it's not getting dangerous and plan to get it out of sight as soon as possible" route; does anyone have better ideas on how to discourage this?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell her that, when she gets married, you'll show her fiancee and his family and all of her friends pictures of her doing this?

In other words, no. No ideas. Not a single one.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL] That did give me a good laugh, though.
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

I think it's harmless. I honestly wouldn't worry about it, especially since it is a temporary thing. And by the way, congrats on the awesome deal. I like that color a lot, too.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I post merely for your amusement, ketchupqueen. [Smile]
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Daniel was 13 months old when Jennifer was born, and he did the same thing.

Daniel was 7 when Thomas was born, and he did it then, too.

Really, it is harmless. She'll play in it for a while, and then lose interest. I'd consider getting her her own "special" chair, like a mini moon chair or something.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

IKEA sells this chair that she loves. Not that we can afford it. Or that we have room. Or that she needs another chair-- she has a small plastic chair, a stool, and a rocking chair all of her own already.

But it is a cool chair-- it has a canopy shade you can pull down and everything. [Smile]

Maybe Grandpa and Grandma will get it for her for her birthday. [Smile]

But yeah, I figure I'll just have to put up with it until we can get it out of the way. I can at least make sure she doesn't eat in it and stain it, I guess-- it's brand new! I get so little brand new baby stuff, I just want to try to keep it nice, at least until the baby gets here. *sigh*

JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
All my kids did that (still do). Whenever there's a car seat in the house, they climb in it and practice with the buckles and whatnot. When they're in the car they know which seat is theirs. No big.

I remember having an infant car seat in the house at one point and my 2-year-old would lounge in it in front of the TV like it was a lay-back chair. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

JennaDean, that's pretty much what she's decided she likes to do-- lay back in it and sip from her sippy cup like she's poolside. [Laugh]
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
My 3 year old would take naps in the baby's car seat. She doesn't do that anymore, but she does put her doll in it and she climbs on it too.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I also wouldn't worry about it, kq. How's the infection, btw?
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.