FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 16)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup - my 16-month-old neice is absolutely fascinated with SSB's carseat. It's adorable.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How's the infection, btw?
Virus is better; the fluids and rest seem to have worked. [Smile] I had severe heartburn for a couple of days after that, but it has pretty much cleared up by now. Bladder symptoms seem to be gone as well. So I'm much happier. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! Always glad to hear positive things.

Now, I know it was already mentioned a couple times on this thread but I don't remember where. How far along is everyone, due dates etc?

Sorry if this is tedious. I just thought it would be a good idea to repost, since it's been a little while.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How could you NOT KNOW?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my cousins didn't know.

She thought she had miscarried, but it turned out that there were twins, the baby was born healthy but a bit premature (she's 4 now).

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently some people don't - no missed periods, no (obvious) weight gain, no other symptoms.

That still freaks me out. Nowadays, the getting pregnant wouldn't be an issue. But I fear (irrationally - I'm on the pill and don't miss taking them) falling pregnant unknowingly and keeping drinking alcohol (which I do now - not to excess, but I would never drink if I were pregnant) / taking the pill / not eating right and harming the baby because of that.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard of a woman who didn't know she was pregnant finding out from her doctor 6 weeks prior to due date. She had been told firmly all her adult life that it was *impossible* for her to have a baby. She had adopted children already. She was also overweight, so the pregnancy growth was hidden.

I figure if you are positive you can't be preggers, you will rationalize all your symptoms away. Just as a man isn't going to assume that his weight-gain and rumbly tummy isn't due to a tiny human living in his abdomen. [Smile]

Still, I have reflected on her story many times. Those baby kicks... that's some serious gas-pains! [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R. Ann Dryden
Member # 8186

- posted      Profile for R. Ann Dryden   Email R. Ann Dryden         Edit/Delete Post 
I worked with a woman who drank and smoked heavily and was thick-waisted anyway. She found out she was pregnant after getting in a fist fight at a bar. They wouldn't serve her any more drinks because of the pregnancy. She thought they were making fun of her and punched the bartender. Later the hospital did a pregnancy test. She was 6 months along.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
I did have a friend who thought she was pregnant, went to the doctor on the Navy base who said she wasn't; she was told this on more than one occasion. Several months later (and bigger), she thought she had a huge tumor and was going to die. A friend finally took her to a "civilian" doctor, who told her she was 7 months pregnant.

How could the doctors miss this for 7 months?

And what tumor moves around like a baby? Mom must have been terrified.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
went to the doctor on the Navy base who said she wasn't; she was told this on more than one occasion.
Did they do a pregnancy test? [Confused]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Not a very accurate one, it would seem.

Seven months!!!

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I can't believe that they did a pregnancy test and missed it for seven months. They must have not done it.

Or the doctor was just temporarily insane and in denial because he didn't want to deliver a baby?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
There are such things as false-negatives, you know.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

For seven months? Several times? At that point you can usually see the baby moving under the skin now and then!
rivka
Member # 4859

Not all women have noticeable baby-movement (noticeable from the outside, I mean), particularly if they are considerably overweight.

I can easily see a scenario where a single pregnancy test was done (either too early, or false-negative for some other reason), and the doctor mentally wrote her off as "wants to be pregnant, but she's just fat." And continued to do so for several future visits.

I'm also slightly wary of hard-to-believe details from third-hand stories . . . (No insult intended, Jenna, just it's so easy to have "broken telephone," neh?)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend never, as in not once, ever felt her baby move, nor were baby movements ever visible without an ultrasound. The docs kept telling her, after using an ultrasound, that the baby was perfectly healthy and active. Baby still is, now at three months old.

Point being that some women never feel their baby move.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*nod* That's rarer, but she's not the only one I know of.

Heck, I once spoke with one woman (a nurse! although she only became a nurse afterwards) who only knew she was in labor because she was hooked up to monitors -- she didn't feel the contractions. (Could be she would have later, but they did a c-section.)

[ January 30, 2006, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: rivka ]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And what tumor moves around like a baby?
What, have you not seen Aliens?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

"I'm also slightly wary of hard-to-believe details from third-hand stories "

I don't blame you, rivka. I don't know all the details. I just know she thought she was pregnant, had been told by the doctor on more than one occasion that she wasn't, and was 7 months pregnant by the time another doctor confirmed the pregnancy. I remember asking her, "Didn't you feel the baby move?" She said, "Yeah, I was convinced I had a tumor and I was going to die."
quote:
What, have you not seen Aliens?
Yeah. That's really comforting ... "Oh, good. It's not a tumor, it's an alien." [Big Grin]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I get nightmares easily, right? [Eek!]

Luckily, I just saw War of the Worlds, and it's so unbelievable that I'm ready to hit the hay. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
My great-aunt was very heavy. 4'11" and 300+. She was also older, so she just thought that she was going through "the change of life". That was until she started having severe back pain. She went to the hospital and they told her that she was in labor. [Eek!] People really do rationalize symptoms.

On a happier note, I finally gained a pound and I felt my baby for the very first time today. I'm so thrilled I can hardly stand it. The kids were testing and I was sitting at a desk correcting papers, when...ping, ping, ping. Then, five minutes later...ping, ping, ping. Just the tiniest little ... tappies. I was inward grin from ear to ear.

By the way, I'm due June 26.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww! Enjoy the cute little pinging before it becomes painful bashing in the bladder when you're trying to go. [Wink]

I am at the RAVENOUS stage. I just finished an afternoon snack-- potato and cheese omelet flavored with rosemary, topped with ketchup and sour cream. [Blushing] Luckily, the rest of the family was hungry too, so I just made it for all of us and didn't feel as guilty about eating all the time. [Wink]

beverly
Member # 6246

My sister in Oregon gives birth tomorrow! She and I had similar due dates. She gives birth very quickly, and the hospital is a half-hour away. Thus, they are inducing her so that she doesn't give birth at home or on the roadside somewhere. Also, her baby is estimated to be pretty darn big (a plus for the induction, not a reason for it.)

I am excited for her!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
What is normal procedure for checkups in the third trimester? What should my doctor be doing? My mom seems worried that my doctor didn't listen to the heartbeat or measure my stomach at the last two visits, but then, the last baby she had was thirteen years ago. Things definitely may have changed since then, medical-practice-wise.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor (actually a nurse midwife) measured my belly at every visit. I'm pretty sure that she checked the heartbeat as well, but my memories of the last month are pretty hazy. I've only had one child, so I don't know how normal her practices were.

--Mel

[EDIT: This was only a little over a year ago.]

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

Seems normal to me, Mel - my midwife measured my belly at every visit, as soon as I started showing, and listened to the heartbeat every time too. (Actually by the time I got to about 8 1/2 months she stopped measuring my belly, but still listened to the heartbeat.) Even when I'd had a sonogram right before I saw the midwife, she still listened to the heartbeat. All 4 kids, 3 different midwives.

I wonder why yours isn't doing it, Brinestone? Perhaps if the baby's moving normally, your doctor feels it's obviously healthy? Still seems a little strange....

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

This doctor measures every time, and always listens to the heartbeat. My last doctor did. The doctor before that, whom I disliked intensely and transferred out of the practice of in my third trimester, did not.
rivka
Member # 4859

Brinestone, what does he do? Do you feel that your appointments are unreasonably short, and he's rushing on to the next patient?

Or is he just using other methods to assess your (plural [Wink] ) well-being?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Do you feel that your appointments are unreasonably short, and he's rushing on to the next patient?
That's how I felt-- he never spent more than 2 minutes with me. And he brushed off my questions.

When I figured out that I didn't want to go to my appointments any more and I DEFINITELY did not want him delivering my baby, I switched. And got lucky and found a good doctor who would take me in my third trimester.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, maybe. The last visit went like this:

1. I left a urine sample.
2. The nurse took my blood pressure.
3. The nurse gave me the RhoGAM shot.
4. The doctor came in and told my my iron levels were low again and advised me to start taking two iron pills a day instead of one.
5. She asked me if I was still feeling sick. I said I was. She said that this flu has taken many people six weeks to get over. I had had it for five weeks. She said to stick it out and try using a decongestant to unplug my ear. I told her that decongestants make me so sick that I cannot work during the day or sleep at night, so I'd rather have the plugged ear, thank you very much. She suggested taking it on Saturday where I could afford to feel sick all day.
6. She asked me if I'd signed up for childbirth classes yet. I said no. She said I should do so as soon as possible or they'd fill up.

That was it. Now I'm starting to feel concerned. . . . She really didn't do anything to assess the health of the baby the whole time.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

That's not quite true. I suspect she (and the nurse) did observe you. They checked your sample. And surely they weighed you? And it sounds like right now the main concern is getting you feeling better.

However, if you feel that she is not hands-on enough for your comfort level, that is certainly an issue. (And something you might consider discussing with her.) Combined with the difficulties you were having with getting them to call you back when you were sick . . . well, maybe it is time to consider changing doctors. But if that is something you are going to do, sooner is better.

*hug*

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what is normal and what is not.

But did the doctor touch you at all? Poke your belly? Use a stethoscope on you at all? He can get a lot of information quickly and without pulling out measuring tape or a baby heartsounds doppler. He may have a lot more info than you think he does.

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I'm not saying that I was worried she wasn't hands-on enough. I'm saying that my mom is worried about it. She asked me if my doctor said the baby was the right size for this point in my pregnancy, and I said I didn't know. My mom was like, "She didn't measure your belly?"

Since this is my first pregnancy, I don't know what's normal. I don't know what should be happening. I didn't personally feel uncomfortable with the last visit, but then, I don't know what a visit is supposed to feel like.

Theaca, she didn't touch me at all that I remember. She did ask if I was feeling the baby kick a lot, and I said yes. I assumed that she thought that if the baby was kicking frequently, he was probably doing all right. Also, she probably was thinking that if something wasn't all right, I'd know a lot sooner than she would.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Why don't you ask your doctor at the next visit how she is assessing the baby's size and health? Then you will know why she does or doesn't do stuff-- and if you're not satisfied, you can switch.
beverly
Member # 6246

It is routine (AFAIK) to check the heartbeat every visit, and to measure the uterus in the third trimester. But it might differ from doctor to doctor.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Today's visit: 4 weeks to go to due date. No dilation. No induction date set yet. We will have to play it by ear, week by week.

I had lots of contractions (10 in an hour) Sunday night. I was dehydrated after having the stomach flu. They finally went away after I drank about 4 large glasses of water.

I am pretty much done with the gym. I just can't keep getting up early to go before work. I need the sleep too much. Everything is packed and ready to go. The only thing we still need to do is install the car seat.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We just got the base for the new infant seat installed. LATCH is so wonderful. [Smile]
imogen
Member # 5485

Only 4 weeks!

You must be getting very excited. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm getting to the "I must mop the floor RIGHT NOW!!!" stage.

Which my husband vastly prefers to the "I'm too sick and tired and sore to move, much less clean" stage. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ouch. I got a blister on my left palm from over-vigorous mopping. [Blushing]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I think I must have missed that stage, but I did reorganize the second bedroom to make room for the baby last Saturday, and today we're putting the crib and changing table in there. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Last time it didn't happen until two nights before I started getting contractions.

To be fair, our floors really needed a mopping, which is why it might have started earlier? But also, my hormone levels may be wonky right now, because every time Emma cries, or another baby cries, or I get up in the morning, or I see a picture of a baby, I end up with sore, colostrum-filled breasts. [Roll Eyes]

imogen
Member # 5485

I was reading a book on pregnancy (not pregnant! just.. curious. [Smile] ) and it said that the whole burst of energy thing is very common just before women go into labour.
beverly
Member # 6246

KQ, how close are you to due date?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Um, very far. I'm at about 28 weeks. [Angst]

I also couldn't sleep until 3 last night, then woke up at 7 with an irresistable urge to make pancakes, of all things. I don't eat in the morning, generally. And I am not a huge pancake fan. After resisting for 45 minutes, I got up and made my husband breakfast in bed.

imogen
Member # 5485

You'll be ok.

*hugs*

Maybe it's just your body going "Wahey, I'm not sick anymore!".

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm hoping.

To be fair (and feel a little better), this pregnancy has been very different from the last one, symptom-wise. [Smile]

imogen
Member # 5485

Do you find that freaky?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No; every pregnancy has some things the same and some different, from what I've heard. My mom had four of us and had some symptoms stay the same each time but some only occured in one or varied widely each time, and all of us were born healthy, none of us more than 10 days before due, so I'm not too worried. [Smile]

I mean, as long as I don't go into labor in the next few days. [Wink]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Pregnancy is kind of a time of worry.)
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.