FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 18)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the point. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
And I rather agree. Although I wouldn't have used just THAT analogy! [Eek!]

Part of the difference is that when you're induced, there is no walking around. You're stuck in bed from beginning to end. Which means a number of comfort measures (walking, hot shower) are out.

Then again, I hated being induced and fought it ever happening again. (I would have agreed to it if I was convinced it was necessary, of course.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You're stuck in bed from beginning to end. Which means a number of comfort measures (walking, hot shower) are out.

That, and if your water breaks/is broken and you have to pee, they make you have a catheter. At least, they did with me. >_<
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I know this makes me weird, but I never minded a catheter when I was in labor. It was one less thing to worry about.

I'm pretty sure I would have minded if I were not in labor, though.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Since they inserted it before I was really feeling contractions, it ticked me off big-time. Especially since the nurse missed the first time, and when it was removed it burned to go the first three or four times. [Angst]

(But yeah, once I was actively feeling contractions I could have cared less about the catheter. Until it was over.)

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
[Angst]

Ugh. The mere mention of a catheter brings back memories of pre-term labor, rolling over in bed, and praying that I wouldn't accidently pull on the tube.

Boy Opera thought the bag of pee was neat, though. [Razz]

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Goodness he's been active today. I wonder if it was something I ate. . . .
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
When are you due, Brinestone?

It must be soonish, right?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
April 2, so I have about seven weeks to go.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Oh - for some I reason I thought it was sooner.

Not that 7 weeks isn't quite soon! (Wow. In 2 months, all things being equal, you'll have a brand new baby son! [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*dumps can of cream-style corn in bowl and heats in microwave*

*stirs in cheese*

*looks at clock*

*shrugs*

*eats corn and cheese*

Late night cravings. Gotta love 'em.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
ewww.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wait, what's wrong with corn and cheese? I didn't even put ketchup in it!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I gotta agree. Even I would eat that. [Razz]

Although I'm really starting to crave mac 'n cheese. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I actually thought of mac and cheese. But it was too much work. This is much easier early in the morning/late at night.

Plus, less calories.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like tomorrow's going to be spent almost entirely at the in-laws, which means no cooking for me (yay!) and really good food (yay yay!!) but I'm still craving Kentucky Fried Chicken, poutine, and mac 'n cheese.

*sigh*

How's your pregnancy going these days?

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm... Poutine... We can't get that here, I have to use Emeril's recipe if I want it.

Obviously, I'm insomniacing. Of course, it's not so much "insomnia" as I sleep for 4-5 hours at a time, can't sleep for another 3-5, sleep about 2-4, and then can't sleep for 3-5 again. Lather, rinse, repeat. It makes for a very odd schedule, especially as during the day I can only sleep as much as Emma will let me unless Jeff is home. Contractions are holding fairly steady at 2 or 3 an hour, sometimes strong enough to rouse me when asleep, but not going hyper-crazy-mad again so far. My back was spasming today, but it's pretty much stopped now. Appetite is up, stomach size is down, so I'm constantly hungry. Swelling is staying down as long as I drink a LOT of water; we're having to replace the Brita filter more often because I'm refilling it 5 or 6 times in a day. I was well enough for church for the first time in almost 2 months last weekend, although I couldn't stay the whole three hours.

More than you wanted to know, I'm sure. [Wink]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Nope, it's fine.

So, not great, but not terrible either. Joy. Sounds like me, only I don't have pregnancy for an excuse.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm starting to count days. Let's see, 68 left until my approx. due date (the earliest I've been given); 23 until my cousin's wedding; 48 until Emma's birthday. *sigh* I'm so ready for this to be over... I guess I'll focus on the wedding first, then Em's birthday, and then I'll only have 20 days left to go. And maybe if things are going the way I expect they will be, I can convince my doctor to go ahead and do the induction a few days early (he said "any time the week of your due date", but I think he was thinking of counting the week starting with that day. Maybe I can convince him that it'll be fine to just go ahead and induce me a few days before.)
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone heard from Mama Squirrel? *sending good vibes*
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
We see doc this morning, and maybe Mama will be far enough along for an induction date to be set. I'd think so, since it's only two weeks until the due date, but I guess it depends. Last week's Thursday appointment only had her at 1cm, but she had a few hours of activity that night, so maybe she's "readier" now.

Anyway, we'll let you all know. Things are still all good, though.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Um, so if I called my new doctor and possibly told the receptionist that I'm 37 weeks pregnant (I'm 33, so I have 7 weeks left, which may have gotten mixed up), should I call back and make sure they know that 33 is the magic number?

I'm all paranoid I made them panic or something. But if I did tell them 33, I could very possibly look like an idiot. Well, looking like an idiot may be unavoidable now, come to think of it.

Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Call. I guess it's best to be sure.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Actually, I'd wait till your next appointment (assuming it's soon) and then just let your doctor know then.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

My next appointment is a week from tomorrow.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all that "activity" that Pop mentioned didn't do as much as we had hoped. I went from 1 cm to 1 1/2 cm dilated. Not much of a change. Last week the doc didn't say anything about effacement. This week I am 50% effaced. So at least that is good. He still wouldn't set the induction date. He says I have to be at least 2 cm before he will set a date. Officially two weeks to go. The doc doesn't think I will make it to my due date (of course, he didn't think I would last time and I went 5 days late), but he does think I will make it one more week. We will see him again next Thursday.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Brinestone, I'd call and let them know you may have made a mistake. Most likely only part of the office will know, and you can apologize and put it down to "pregnant brain". Don't worry about appearing dumb, it's better to let them know in advance what to expect. [Smile]

Mama, I sympathize. [Frown] (((hugs))) Hang in there!

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, having Aerin really skewed my view of pregnancy. I was 3 cm at 22 weeks (which they stopped) and I was about 5 when Aerin was born at 26 weeks. Anything past 32 weeks seems like term to me.

Brinestone, you won't look like an idiot at all. When I moved back to Richmond and made an appt. with my old OB, I forgot to tell them I was pregnant and I had to call back. They were very understanding and didn't even laugh at me (within my hearing at least).

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

*laughs*

So I called and got the same receptionist I spoke with two days ago. She thinks I did say 37 weeks because she remembered the call and remembered being shocked to think I was only three weeks away from delivery. She said it was very considerate of me to call and let them know.

Phew.

imogen
Member # 5485

[Smile]

Probably the best idea. I was thinking if your appointment was in a day or so it wouldn't matter - but for a week, best to let them know.

And I'm trying not to laugh at Mrs M's story.

Actually, the sad thing is that's the sort of thing I do - and I don't even have the pregnant brain excuse!

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm sort of surprised that some of y'all WANT to be induced.

I hated induction, and would do almost anything (except put myself or any child of mine in danger) to avoid ever experiencing it again.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, my doctor and I are pretty sure that I'm going to have to be induced again no matter what. So I'd rather get the pregnancy over with as soon as possible instead of waiting another week. (And my experience wasn't that bad once I got the medication. Since I've been promised the medication as soon as I want it this time, I am pretty sure it'll be an even better experience. [Smile] )
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I was induced with my first, not with my second. They were both painful.

As to being induced again, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
My induction wasn't a bad experience either, but then again, I didn't need pitocin.

Hang in there, Mama and KQ.

Brinestone, pregnancy brain only turns into mama brain. *giggle* I've had many of those moments!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Christy:
My induction wasn't a bad experience either, but then again, I didn't need pitocin.

That doesn't count. [Wink]
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
I was induced with two of my three and would definately do it again (loved it, well loved the epidural most).

My SIL hated it her first time around and has since done the rest au naturel. I think it must depend upon the person.

*edit to say that I was induced with two because I had hellps syndrome with my first [Eek!] How I forgot that I don't know!

[ February 17, 2006, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: sweetbaboo ]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
I am more scared of the unplanned home or car birth than I am of the induction. I figure I will at least be able to get an epidural with the induction. I was not prepared for the undrugged birth last time.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that the hospital is only six blocks from my home and place of employment is a very encouraging thought.

I could probably walk. Well, maybe not. [Wink]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Aaannnd . . . dkw makes her first appearance!
dkw
Member # 3264

I feel like I should start a "Prenancy thread: The next Generation." Most of you guys are nearing term or already delivered, no? I am rather tardy to fit in with this group.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, did I miss a formal announcement to Hatrack that you're expecting, or are you just doing it all sneaky-like here?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

You must have missed it. (I bumped a thread from before the wedding where Dan was taking bets on birthdates. Might have been too subtle.)

Also the pregnancy pun smackdown, but I guess Bob never specifically identified that one as an announcement thread either.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, you were being waaay too subtle for women with pregnant brain! Congratulations!
pepperuda
Member # 1573

- posted      Profile for pepperuda   Email pepperuda         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations,dkw. I'm not due until June, so there is still a good four months to go here.

But, I have bad pregnant brain. My mom says I've always been a bit spacey, so this poses a problem. I smeared make-up all over the front of a dress the other day because I forgot I had it in my hand and started rubbing my tummy. Sigh.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Squirrel:
I am more scared of the unplanned home or car birth than I am of the induction. I figure I will at least be able to get an epidural with the induction. I was not prepared for the undrugged birth last time.

That makes sense. I've never had that issue -- my short labor still took 3 hours from arrival at the hospital.

And I prefer to be undrugged, when I could manage it (which was that same labor).

*shrug* Diff'rent strokes and all that. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My mom's shortest labor took 18 minutes from her arrival at the hospital...

They handed my oldest sister, 3 at the time, to the neighbor from across the street through the car window. Otherwise, either she would have come with them or they wouldn't have made it.

My sisters' dad's car also got towed because they rushed in so fast he forgot to move it from the no parking zone.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

quote:
My sisters' dad's car also got towed because they rushed in so fast he forgot to move it from the no parking zone.
I can totally see this happening to us if I go into labor naturally before the induction happens.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It makes for a funny story now. They did not appreciate the $185 (in 1973 dollars) fine at the time.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm getting all cry-y. Well, cry-ier. Today Emma brought me a bowl and said, "Emma hungry." She then did her routine where she leads me to the refrigerator, says "No" to everything in it, and then says "Yeah" to four things the second time around, but doesn't really want any of them, and says no to my other suggestions as well. Finally, I shut the fridge and walked out of the kitchen, saying, "Tell me when you decide what you want." My back hurt, and I wasn't going to stand there wasting electricity all day because she wanted her father to come home and feed her or something. She threw down her bowl, started wailing, and yelled, "Mama bad! Mama bad bad!"

Normally, that would not faze me. I broke down and cried. Stupid hormones. [Frown]

But later she brought me a box of cereal and kissed me and said, "Pleh?" ("Please?") She also insisted on feeding me some when I gave it to her. And later still she wanted to see the baby (indicated by patting my tummy and tugging at my shirt and saying, "Baby?") and kissed my tummy several times. Then she tried to play peek-a-boo with my tummy. [Big Grin]

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats dkw! [Smile] So very exciting!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.