FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 37)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Would Tums be ok? It's just Calcium.
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tums has no effect either way.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I'm not worried about taking the Zantac, btw, now that I know it is class B. I talked to my doctor about whether I should be avoiding OTC drugs, and while he said it is of course important to be healthy and be careful about what I put in my body, he trusts my judgement and is okay with me taking any class B OTC medication without checking with him if I feel I need it. He does want me to check before I take any OTC drug or herbal supplement that I can't find out what class it is or it says "not recommended for pregnant women" in the medical literature or anything like that. But he trusts my judgement, which I think is the way it should be. And I feel fine about Zantac-- and in fact took it before I knew I was pregnant with Bridey and she was fine. So I'm taking it.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I had a fun appointment today. Baby is perfectly fine, vertex, ROA, good HB, etc. My numbers are perfect, no sugars, ketones, or protein, and my BP is right where it should be (taken with the correct cuff, thankyouverymuch). Talked to the doctor about the GTT that he wants at my next appointment.

My previous doctor made me take it after an overnight fast. Is it really any wonder that a sugar rush on an empty stomach would make me feel like crap?

This one says I can eat a normal breakfast, chicken and broccoli for lunch, and come in immediately afterward to take the test. I feel MUCH better about that, so I've agreed to take the one hour.

We also discussed what would happen if I fail it. He first said I'd have to take the 3 hour GCT. That one is a fasting test, no way around it. He said I probably wouldn't fail the first one this time, since I'd have some protein and fiber to help counter the sugar, but if I do, we can skip the GCT and go straight to management.

I'm okay with this. If he'd insisted that the GTT be a fasting test, I would have completely refused it and told him to send me for management or leave me alone about it, but I think we've reached a good compromise.

Oh, yeah...and, even after a lengthy discussion he had with his nurse while we were in the exam room about the August ultrasound and when my due date was moved and which way, he still says my due date is February 27th. :giggle:

This was my 25 5/7 (but really 29 3/7) week appointment. Fundal height: 29cm, even with all my "fluff." [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the good doctor's appt!
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
The other night I was lying in bed watching TV with my husband, and suddenly my heart started racing. I could feel it in my chest. I'm not convinced that it was completely regular at first, either.

And often in the mornings I'm downstairs doing my thing getting ready for work and about 5 minutes before I get picked up, I'll go upstairs to brush my teeth and grab anything else that I need. The trip up the stairs so takes it out of me that I feel like I need to sit down and it's torture to make myself stand there and finish brushing. This morning, I gave in and sat down for a couple of minutes until I couldn't hear my heart in my head anymore.

I think the morning thing is because I'm going too fast up the stairs for my big body to easily be able to adjust. A slow buildup to exercise doesn't do that to me.

But I still can't explain why my heart was racing while I was laying down. It was weird.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that happening late in pregnancy. I think it's because your organs are so squished that you're having trouble getting oxygen or something. *shrug*
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have heart racing episodes like that (palpitations, I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) all the time while pregnant. They don't usually mean anything but your blood volume is higher while pregnant so you're more prone to weird stuff like that, if that makes sense.
Katarain
Member # 6659

Good to know it's probably nothing to worry about. [Smile]
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh-- I forgot to add that the Zantac is working on the heartburn! Woo-hoo!
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ludosti:
Since it's been 2 weeks since I took the 1 hour glucose test and they haven't called me in to do the 3 hour one, I'm assuming I'm not diabetic!! I'm really happy because I had been really worried about it (I have a lot of the risk factors and I know that getting gestational diabetes would pretty much guarantee getting adult onset diabetes later in life), so this is a great load off my mind! [Big Grin]

Please be aware that not having gestational diabetes is no guarantee of not ending up with type II diabetes later. I have lots of risk factors, and have passed 5 glucose tolerance tests (4 while pregnant, and one last month – you know, the glucola’s not quite as nasty when you’re not already slightly nauseous). But I am well aware that the odds of my ending up with type II diabetes are very high.

quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
[Frown] I have to go in for the 3-hour gestational diabetes screening. I am SO sad. Probably more than it warrants. It's one of those things that is enough lifestyle-related that I feel guilty about not having enough insulin, for crying out loud.

Gestational diabetes, like type II diabetes, is not caused by insufficient insulin. It is caused by insulin resistance – cells not reacting properly to the insulin in the bloodstream, and failing to take in the sugar.

quote:
Originally posted by divaesefani:
Around here, they send you home the appointment before the (1 hour) glucose test with the drink and instructions. Drink it an hour before you show up, and they draw your blood as soon as you get there.

That’s what my OB did too.

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
For instance, a study showing that substituting 18 jelly beans was just as effective for the one hour GTT as that strange hyper-sugar drink, and was tolerated without side effects by all women in the study, as opposed to the drink, which did produce side effects!

They're special jelly beans, made with glucose instead of sucrose, though.

But yeah, I saw that study a few years back, and have been praying the standard would change. Alas, it has not.

quote:
If you really want to remain mobile but do want something to cut the pain, I recommend IV drugs.

Some hospitals won’t let you out of bed on those, either. Ask beforehand.

quote:
Anyone else have rhinitis of pregnancy? (That means, stuffy nose from being pregnant.)

I did, every time. In addition to being one of those lucky people whose allergies get considerably worse while pregnant. (In my third trimester of one pregnancy, we tried several class C drugs, because we had already tried all the then-available class B’s.)

quote:
Like I said, neither my kids nor I liked the Snugli. It overheated the baby (and me) very quickly, hurt my back, and they didn't like the way their legs were forced apart.

I, OTOH, loved my Snugli and hated all the slings I tried. *shrug* YMMV, etc.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Home from the hospital. Katarina Alzbeta was born (after an ENTIRELY too long induction process) Saturday, November 24, at 14:35. We are both fine and healthy (though she can't be nearly as sore as me) and came home from the hospital yesterday. Woo, freedom! Goodbye for now, pregnancy thread!
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

CONGRATS!!! [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray! I'm glad you're both doing well. I really like her name. [Smile]

How early is too early to feel the baby move? I've had two moments recently where I was pretty sure that's what was happening, but I'm less than 14 weeks along.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

Brinestone- is this first baby or second? I hear second babies move a lot earlier then first. [Smile]
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
Please be aware that not having gestational diabetes is no guarantee of not ending up with type II diabetes later. I have lots of risk factors, and have passed 5 glucose tolerance tests (4 while pregnant, and one last month – you know, the glucola’s not quite as nasty when you’re not already slightly nauseous). But I am well aware that the odds of my ending up with type II diabetes are very high.

Oh certainly! I know that I am still at high risk for type II diabetes as I continue to age and that there are things I can be doing now to lessen that risk. I am just happy to have dodged that bullet (so to speak) for now. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
Home from the hospital. Katarina Alzbeta was born (after an ENTIRELY too long induction process) Saturday, November 24, at 14:35. We are both fine and healthy (though she can't be nearly as sore as me) and came home from the hospital yesterday. Woo, freedom! Goodbye for now, pregnancy thread!

Yay!!!! That is so exciting!! I'm so glad you're both healthy and home!!

I'm trying to finish getting things ready for our little girl. My last day of work was last week, so I'm adjusting to being home. I'm on day 2 without my anti-nausea meds and while I don't feel great, I haven't thrown up either, so that's a step in the right direction. I seem to have plateaued at my pre-pregnancy weight, which makes me laugh. My placenta has moved up to a good place and she's been head down for a few weeks. Now just to wait for her to drop so I can breathe again!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Second. Thing is, it doesn't feel like the "flutter" you're supposed to feel. It feels like a definite "push," whether by head or foot, and it feels slow and deliberate. Completely unlike gas or a cramp or anything else. I'm wondering if maybe the baby's sticking its head out.
Katarain
Member # 6659

My baby's movements have felt differently for about a week now. They're slightly less pronounced and seem to be in different areas. Last night, I could feel a flutter (quick movements) on my right side while I was laying on my left side. My husband could even feel it. It felt almost like a heartbeat. It was strange.

I was wondering if she moved position in there, and that's why it feels different. It does bother me some, because I don't know if something is wrong or not. I don't like that the movements seem to be softer. Several times, they've been quick flutters, too, rather than more pronounced single kicks, which is the way they were since the first time I felt them at 20 weeks. These new quicker movements almost make me think of a mild seizure. These are not good thoughts.

Is this normal? I'm almost 27 weeks.

Katarain
Member # 6659

I called my doctor. I've pretty much realized that if something starts to bother me enough to post and ask about it, I should probably go ahead and call my doctor, too!
scholar
Member # 9232

I remember reading about baby shuddering being normal. I can't remember right now what it was, but I think it was on the ok list.
ludosti
Member # 1772

Hopefully your doctor's office will get back to you quickly and things are ok. [Smile]

I know as things have progressed, my baby's movements have definitely changed. As she's gotten bigger, there's less room for her to do a standard kick or punch, so she does a lot more wiggling/rolling and pushing. Sometimes her wiggling is very vigorous and fast. I know babies can sometimes get the hiccups, and I've felt what seems like her with hiccups a couple of times (she'll move very rhythmically every few seconds for several minutes).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone: I'm on my second, too. With my first, I was almost 20 weeks before I felt the movement. This time I'm 14 weeks and am definitely feeling movement from time to time. I first thought I was feeing movement at 10 weeks!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholar
Member # 9232

My baby used to get the hiccups all the time (atleast once a day). When bin was born, she started hiccuping and it was a weird feeling of familiarity.
Katarain
Member # 6659

It's interesting because I know I did not feel movement before 20 weeks. I was very consciously paying attention to my belly for any feeling that might be movement since week 16, and there simply wasn't any. The first time I felt it, I knew without a doubt what it was, and I knew that I hadn't felt it before.

That tells me that you're not just missing something when you don't feel something earlier with your first pregnancy. I wonder what it is about second and on pregnancies that make you feel the baby earlier.

I suppose it is possible that before 20 weeks, the movement was just so very slight that I would miss it.

Anyway... the nurse called me back. The doc said that it's normal for the feelings to change, but I should be feeling the baby 3-4 times a day. And if I don't feel her for a few hours, I should get something cold to drink, lay on my side, etc., and that should help.

I think I'm probably feeling her more like 2-3 times a day, but I'll pay closer attention now. I have an appointment next week, anyway, so I didn't make one sooner.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congrats, Lissande!

I felt Emma move at 13 weeks. I felt Bridey at 15. This one, I felt at 11 weeks.

I just have really active babies. And also a tilted uterus, which a few midwives have told me might be the reason I feel movement earlier.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Lissande!!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I was always puzzled by the 3-4 times a day estimate. I mean, once I started feeling Lego move, I never stopped. Sometimes he'd be still for an hour or so to sleep, but when he was awake, he was constantly moving. It got annoying, actually.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on the new baby, Lissande! [Smile]

I'm at 31 weeks now, and my little guy has started to get pretty cramped in there. He kept rolling over yesterday which was both extremely weird to see and feel. My husband thinks it's so creepy that he can actually see my belly move. It's funny. [Razz]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Lissande! And Katarina! And . . .um, whatever your husband's name is which I think I should know but can't remember!!
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Stop it! Ya'll are making me miss feeling a baby move in my tummy. [Smile]

Seriously, I think I felt the first two between 16 and 18 weeks. I didn't feel #3 until just after 20 weeks. Freaked me out, it did.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by Brinestone:
I was always puzzled by the 3-4 times a day estimate. I mean, once I started feeling Lego move, I never stopped. Sometimes he'd be still for an hour or so to sleep, but when he was awake, he was constantly moving. It got annoying, actually.

That constant feeling it usually seems to start around 18-20 weeks for me, but you're right-- once they're big enough to feel really well, I feel the movements constantly except during "rest" periods. My doctor has just told me to be aware of what is normal FOR ME AND MY BABY and if I feel a decrease that worries me, call. Which I think is much more reasonable. (Before 18-20 weeks I feel movement more at night when I lay down or when I've just eaten something sugary or spicy, things like that; the baby is small enough I only feel it during really active periods or when it's positioned a certain way in my uterus, I guess.)
dkw
Member # 3264

3-4 times a day? Everything I read said that when you do a "kick count" it should take less than 2 hours to feel 10 movements.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think maybe the 3-4 times a day means "groups or periods of movement 3-4 times a day, with times when you may feel little or nothing in between."
rivka
Member # 4859

With my second and third, I started feeling movement at 11-12 weeks. (We actually confirmed that I really was while doing an ultrasound.)
scholar
Member # 9232

mama squirrel- one of my friends didn't feel third baby until after 20 weeks. The doctor blamed the constant commotion of the two kids outside the womb.
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to Lissande! I'm looking forward to that being me...but not quite yet.

It's been a big 2 weeks for me.

Monday 11/18: I find out I passed the 3-hour glucose. Yay me!

Sunday 11/25: I'm visiting my in-laws, about ready to leave, and my bp is up. Too high. Not good. I don't want to end up in a hospital 10 hours away from home...I lie down, rest, & take it again...it's OK, back down where it has been. We drive home. When I take it again at home, it's up again. I consider calling the emergency line, but lying down once again takes care of the problem.

Monday 11/26: It's up again this morning, and lying down isn't helping much. I wonder if perhaps my monitor is acting up. I know it tends to run a little high compared to readings at the doctor's office. My team is supposed to take the kids on a field trip today. I decide to get the school nurse to take it. When she does, it's WAYYYyy up. Scary up, a LOT higher than it was at home. I call the doctor & go in right away (miss the field trip, obviously). It's not nearly as high there (out of scary range), but still higher than it ever has been on an office visit. He gives me a prescription for BP meds and tells me Friday is my last day of work. This is very frustrating and stressful. (I had been planning to at least finish December, and try to go back for the first week or 2 in January. Baby is due 1/17). I head back to work, tell my principal, call personnel, work on long-term plans.

Tuesday, 11/27: I go in for a scheduled sonogram. Everything is super fine hunky dory with baby, but the sonogram doctor is very distressed by what I told him about my bp, takes it--it's up again in semi-scary land, thanks to his not-calm mannerisms, in my opinion--and sends me to the hospital for lab work and to talk to my regular OB/GYN. I am not best pleased with the sonogram doctor at this point. I get there, they admit me, strap on a fetal monitor, put me on an every 10-min BP monitor, take lots of blood, and start me on a 24-hour urine collection. My bp starts off high (shocker...I'm a teensy bit agitated about being in the hospital), but goes down to normal levels as I'm lying there. They take off the fetal monitor pretty quickly (maybe after an hour), because it is once again clear that baby is completely fine and happy.

I wait a LONG time for the doctor to find out if I can be discharged or not. I got there at 3:45 and finally got discharged at 11:25. My doctor seems to understand pretty clearly that my BP goes up in response to stress. He's not loving the high numbers, but he's not really worried, either. I have no other signs of preeclampsia...my labs have come back great. he said the baby may still go to term, or not...depends on how I do. In the meantime, they're monitoring me like crazy, I'm monitoring myself, and he went ahead and gave me steroid shots to develop the baby's lungs in case we have to deliver soon. The baby was 4 lbs. 4 oz. at my last sonogram almost 3 weeks ago, and I'm 33 weeks right now. So a delivery now would be less than ideal, but not terrible, either. I'm getting the impression that the doctor is hoping I'll go to 36 or 37 weeks.

Update for me: I'm now done with work as of now, and I'm on "light bed rest." (Yay for laptops! Although typing on my side is awfully slow. Still, what else do I have to do besides type a long and laborious update for Hatrack?) I was allowed to go in Wednesday AM for an hour to get things organized, and what a relief that was. It actually saved me a ton of stress.

So here I am now, at home, and hopefully for a long, long time before baby is born. I had a doctor's appt. today to check protein and bp, and both looked great. So I'm hoping that the meds and the rest at home will do the trick. As I've mentioned here before, when I was on the pill, the estrogen made my bp go up, so I'm hoping hoping hoping that that is all that's going on here...that my body's sensitivity to that hormone is sending my bp up, and that I won't ever develop any of the other symptoms of preeclampsia.

Oh, and they have me doing kick counts, which really is a joke for my baby. He has occasional quiet times, but other than that, he's constantly moving. I count four times a day, looking for 4 movements in 20 minutes. I'm usually done with 4 within 2 minutes. [Smile] He's keeping me reassured that everything is OK. [Smile]

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, sucky as bed rest is, hopefully it will keep BP down and baby in! Good luck!
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, good luck. Please stay in contact with your sub. My mom agreed to do a longterm sub job in the fall of 03 for January-March 04. The teacher went into labor in late October and the baby was born at the first of November. My mom had absolutely no sub plans at all, no sylabus. And the teacher was too worried (rightfully) about herself and baby to give any ideas. So if it's possible now while you're ok and in bed with internet, do it.

(sorry to be self centered, that was a very rough school year)

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Liz - I'm sorry your bp has been up in scary land and you have to go on light bedrest. [Frown] I'm so glad you and the baby are doing well otherwise! Hopefully he'll stay in there a bit longer!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Are you allowed to be sitting up? If so, I find that one of those lounge pillows with the arms, with a pillow near the bottom to support my lower back, and one near the top for neck support, is very comfy for lounging in bed. And allows for better laptop use. [Wink]
Katarain
Member # 6659

I had my GD test, and I passed. Yay! [Smile] The finger prick hurt a lot, probably because she pricked me on the side of my fingertip. I don't think the top would have hurt. Oh well. It's over now.

Everything else is good. The baby's heartrate is good, my blood sugar is good, my blood pressure is good, I'm not anemic, and I don't feel nearly as congested as I did.

So, me and baby are good. [Smile]

And now I have to start going every 2 weeks. That's a bummer. I really need my own car.

ludosti
Member # 1772

Just wait till you have to go every week! [Razz]

I'm trying to convince my little ninja that she wants to drop this week. I'm getting pretty uncomfortable and could use the breathing room. I'm still hoping we're on target for the 18th (though that'll depend on when she drops and when my cervix starts ripening - it's still Fort Knox). This week my goals are to get the carseat installed (and inspected) and get all the clothes washed and sorted. Oh yeah - and pack the bag for the hospital (I have a list of things to pack already, I just haven't packed them yet). I was all productive and dropped off my pre-registration at the hospital today (so that's one less thing to worry about). [Smile]

[ December 03, 2007, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It has been a week of bizzare cravings. Even moreso today.

*GAG ALERT GAG ALERT GAG ALERT*

Earlier I had canned peaches and black olives (like, together. In the same bite.)

I just made myself a little snack of peanut butter with Reeses Pieces cookies, hot from the oven, spread with low-fat cream cheese, sweet pickle relish on top, and stuck together like a little sandwich.

And it's goooood.

I'm eating it here in the living room so KPC doesn't have to see me.

*END GAG ALERT*

Katarain
Member # 6659

I don't have real cravings. I have "suggestion cravings." I read someone on a forum talking about Chinese food, and suddenly I wanted Chinese food. (Didn't have any--yet.) I saw an empty box of chocolates at home and suddenly I really really wanted chocolates. I settled for Heavenly Hash ice cream. It was really good.

I feel like a freak of nature. I want cravings, too, ya know? I'm missing out on this stereotypical pregnancy thing. [Smile]

Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I never had any cravings either, and I was totally disappointed. I feel like I missed out on so many opportunities to make my husband prove his love for me by getting me strawberries and pickles at 3 am. [Frown]
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the positive thoughts, everyone. I have now been officially diagnosed with preeclampsia--a test I did on Monday was just over the threshold for diagnosis. So right now it's still mild, and I'm still at home, as opposed to being in the hospital. Other good things: I'm 33wks 6 days, the baby is 5 lbs 1 oz as of yesterday, and I've already had betamethazone shots in case my condition worsens & I have to have the baby NOW. Yesterday's biophysical profile for the baby looked great.

But...I'm so not ready to have this baby yet! Naturally I'm worried that he'll have to spend time in the NICU, although I'm trying to stay positive and think of all the details that show his stay there might be short.

I'm also just NOT READY. Like we don't have a car seat, the bassinet is still in the box, I haven't packed my bags, I don't have nursing bras, none of the baby clothes have been washed...yargh. And it's hard to coordinate finishing these last details from the couch!

OK, enough anxiety. [Razz]

My big craving was in the 1st trimester, for tomato sauce, which gave my husband a chance to prove his love by eating spaghetti most nights of the week [Smile] . I still enjoy it, but the craving subsided right at around 13 weeks. Now I just enjoy food. Mmmmmmm fooooood. (Although I've actually lost about 5 lbs since I've been on bed rest. I'm sure some of that is loss of muscle, but I've also been drinking a LOT of water, and being very conscientious about stopping eating when I'm not hungry.)

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Crab Rangoon....I can't eat enough of it. I've had Chinese food 4 times in the last week. I'm driving my husband nuts!
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Liz - I'm so glad you're still at home, but I'm really sorry you have to deal with preeclampsia. [Frown] I hope you will have enough time to get everything done without feeling too rushed! That's so wonderful that that the baby seems to be doing well!!

I haven't really had any cravings. If anything sometimes particular things will just sound really good (but it's not like I need to eat it). I think I probably have eaten more hamburgers in the last 3 months than I have in the last 3 years. [Smile] I tease my husband that he's gotten off easy.

I haven't had the crazy hormonal mood swings either. I can count on one hand the number of times I've acted like the stereotypical pregnant lady. I've actually been really thrilled with the lack of mood swings. I had been really concerned about how I would do during this pregnancy without the antidepressants I had been on, but I have been really pleased with how even my temperament has been. It's been a great blessing, I think.

dkw
Member # 3264

I have "suggestion" cravings all the time, pregnant or not. My friends say that I am the type of person subliminal advertising was designed for. (And it doesn't even have to be all that subliminal.) Right now I want peanut butter cookies with cream cheese and pickle relish, crab rangoon, cheeseburgers, and spaghetti.

Sorry to hear about the pre-eclampsia, Liz. I kept talking about needing to pack the hospital bags, but didn't do it until I was actually in labor. And my parents brought the car seat to the hospital after John was born and Dad & Bob installed it in the parking lot. And as long as you get one load of baby clothes washed with your "coming home" outfit and a few onsies and sleepers you'll be fine.

Of course, I might just be weird -- I never did get to the "nesting" phase I kept hearing about.

Added -- I bought my nursing bras after the birth too. No wait, maybe I already had one. I didn't like it, though, and went out and bought a different kind afterward.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm sorry to hear about the pre-eclampsia, Liz! My sister-in-law had it (diagnosed at 33 weeks) with her first and made it to 37.5 weeks before they induced (didn't work, she had a c-section, but it was okay.) And the baby was about 10 lbs. And spent no time in the NICU. So you may get to go all the way to term, you never know.

I've had "normal" cravings my previous pregnancies-- you know, things I already like but we didn't (or did) have and I just HAD to eat. Had those this time, too. But just the past week or so the really, really weird ones have started. Jeff is hoping this means it's a boy because I never had this with the girls. [Wink]

quote:
Right now I want peanut butter cookies with cream cheese and pickle relish, crab rangoon, cheeseburgers, and spaghetti.

ROFL!

I bought my nursing bras each time toward the end of each pregnancy-- instead of buying regular bras when I got too big I just bought nursing ones (usually with a little extra room, or bought one extra-big for the engorgement period) and was able to use them afterward.

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.