FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 44)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(I just looked at my ticker on another site and realized I'm under the 100 day mark! I have only 93 days left until my due date!)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was almost induced with my son, but that morning I started real labor. They actually put the IV on me but turned off the pitocin (sp?) drip after half an hour or so. So I'm probably not the best induction story.

Everything went good, though. I got the epi at the same time and enjoyed a leisurely day of chatting with my husband, playing cards, and reading Harry Potter.

I don't plan to try induction again this time. Last time, I think I pushed myself into it for all the wrong reasons. Unless there's a good reason, I'd rather wait until my baby is ready.

On the other hand, difficulties finding a baby-sitter may have to be that good reason, but that's a story for another time...

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
You probably don't want to hear my induction story, since things didn't work well (though I'd be happy to share it if you'd like). However the c-section would most likely have been necessary anyway, even if I'd gone into labor on my own. [Smile] You're already further along than when I was when they induced me, so hopefully things will get started on their own for you!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input/stories! I keep waffling back and forth about wanting to cancel my appointment and wanting to keep it.

ludosti - Yeah, I think at this point if I end up having to get a c-section it would happen either way. That's part of what made me decide to schedule the induction.

I'm also worried about my baby getting too huge to deliver vaginally. Anyone have any experience with that? My doctor has not told me anything about how big she thinks the baby is. This is probably due to the fact that my insurance only covers one ultrasound (at 20 wks), so she has no real way of knowing. I have no idea if my fears are founded or not. I tried to eat healthier than I normally do during my pregnancy, but I have not been very successful. I have a huge and insatiable sweet tooth. I didn't get gestational diabetes, but my test was right on the brink. And the longer he stays in there the bigger he gets!

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Jennie, since I know you frequent this thread, I'm gonna bug you -- do you happen to still have my firefly DVDs? I lent them to you over the summer but I moved to a different place since I last saw you. Congratulations on the upcoming baby! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

From what I've read, induction of labor because the baby is suspected to be large is not a good idea. I would do some research on this if you're really concerned, but this article on about.com:

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/f/inducebigbaby.htm

suggests that when labor is induced for this reason, the risk of c-section is higher.

It also indicates something I already knew -- that we suck at figuring out how big babies are even with an u/s. A friend of mine recently had a baby and was high risk so got many u/s -- they all said the baby would be 8 going on 9 lbs. She'd never had a baby over 7 lbs so she thought this was odd. Turned out, the baby was 6 lbs and change like her other three! She carries HUGE. I mean, HUGE. She looked like she was carrying triplet or something. But that doesn't mean the baby is big, either.

Just some things to think about!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My babies measure large, but more in length-- they're not tiny in weight, but Bridey was born more than 2 weeks before my due date and was 21.5 inches long. I wouldn't induce JUST because the baby was big (and I wouldn't have a c-section just for a big baby, either-- I have a friend who has delivered several 10+ lb. babies vaginally, and my husband and his sibs were all 9 or 10 lbs. and all born vaginally.) I induce because my body is ready but I already know I don't progress well until I get that epidural-- and I'd rather just get it over with once it starts.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Ashley! I'm such a jerk! Yes, I have your DVDs! We watched them (and LOVED them) over the summer, and I just keep forgetting to get in touch with you. I still check galacticcactus pretty regularly, so can you PM me your new address? I still have your phone number in my inbox there, so I'll try VERY hard to call you as soon as I can (hopefully tonight). I'm making dinner and then going visiting teaching now, but I'll tell Paul to remind me to call when I get home. I'm SO SO sorry!

Christine - Yeah, I've heard and read those same things. It's so hard not to think I'm carrying a giant in there! [Smile] The doctor recommended induction for me simply because the conditions are favorable for it. She hasn't ever said anything about the baby being big.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes, hansenj!! I can completely understand being torn about the decision to induce. Just keep kq's experiences in mind...like you said, positive stories help.

quote:
we suck at figuring out how big babies are even with an u/s
On the other hand...I had an u/s on 12/4/07 that said my baby was 5 lbs 1 oz., and at birth on 12/7, he was 5lbs 0 oz. So maybe it depends on the technician or the baby, who knows. I was impressed by how accurate it was.

Nathaniel is nursing like crrrrrrazy today. I just hope it helps him sleep tonight...

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
My doctor's prediction of baby weight was right on the money for #1 and #2, and WAYYYY off for #3. Same doctor, same ultrasound machine.

Some kids like to cultivate an air of mystery. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I was trying to remember last night, but I'm pretty sure they were a good pound off on my son on our last u/s (which I kept getting because my belly wasn't cooperating with the measuring tape...I carry small) and they said he'd be seven and a half pounds. He was only 6 lb 5 oz.

When I got my 20-week u/s this time, the technician was just going on and on about how the computer was telling her my due date was June 1st instead of May 25th like I told her when I came in. I'm sitting there trying to look as bored as possible by the information (which I assure you I was) but she kept trying to freak me out. She went on about it for 10 minutes. I think she was nuts.

Different technicians really do make a difference with u/s I think.

Liz B
Member # 8238

*counts on fingers*

So a big one-week difference, huh? [Roll Eyes] I'm surprised you weren't freaked...

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Freaked doesn't even begin to describe how I felt. [Smile]
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I totally understand the pregnancy waddle now. I had seen many women do it, but I didn't really understand WHY.

It's the leg/joint/pelvic/ligament/etc. pain! The pain!!

My husband has compared me to a penguin. [Smile]

An adorable penguin, I'm sure.

In related news, the chiropractor seems to be helping somewhat, but no miracles yet. I seem to be doing better, or at least coping better.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Thinking of hansenj today...
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Katarain:
In related news, the chiropractor seems to be helping somewhat, but no miracles yet. I seem to be doing better, or at least coping better.

Miracles are probably too much to ask until you evict the tenant. [Wink] But I'm glad it's helping!

And many women who manage to avoid significant pregnancy pain still waddle. It's the relaxin effect.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's more the cantaloupe-in-the-crotch effect. [Wink]

Still here, still pregnant. I actually called the midwife last night though.

Here's your TMI warning for the rest of this post.

Friday afternoon the "vaginal snot" took on a pinkish tinge. That evening I had explosive baby-poo yellow-brown-green diarrhea and contractions that were no different than they had been for two weeks.

Yesterday evening I was on the phone with KQ when the contractions started getting more and more crampy down low, and I couldn't keep up the conversation during them. I hung up with her after promising to call the midwife. Went to the bathroom, where I lost a nickel sized wad of plug. Climbed into the bathtub, thinking that would probably fizzle them back out. No dice, still 2 1/2 to 6 minutes apart.

Called husband, called midwife. She sent the doula/midwife-in-training over to check me out. She actually stayed a while and checked me twice about 2 hours apart, and my cervix never changed from about 2cm, 50% and very soft...

So, maybe it'll be very soon, and maybe it won't. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leafygreen
Member # 11015

- posted      Profile for Leafygreen           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I love this thread. Vaginal snot, muccus plugs...just wow. I told my husband I was thinking about eating my placenta and he about threw up.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Eeeeeew, placenta eating is icky. (The rest of it doesn't bother me a bit. [Big Grin] )
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Boon:
I think it's more the cantaloupe-in-the-crotch effect. [Wink]

[Big Grin] That too -- but many women have a distinctive waddle much earlier than that.

I'm amazed with all those symptoms that you're not in hard labor (at more than 12 hours later!) -- although I suppose you could be now.

In the past week, I have gained a new (sort of) nephew and a new niece. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
although I suppose you could be now.
She better not be, she promised to call and let me know when she is. [Razz]
Boon
unregistered

LOL, my midwife is amazed, too. She actually called me a little while ago and didn't even say "hi" when I answered. She said, "Seriously!?!" Hahaha!

I actually had someone call me "bizarre" the other day, to which I laughed and said thank you, but it's true. I'm odd. I'm weird. And I like it that way (even though this pattern I seem to be in is getting tiresome). [Smile]

Boon
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
although I suppose you could be now.
She better not be, she promised to call and let me know when she is. [Razz]
And I will. Just as soon as I am. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you get any rest last night?
Boon
unregistered

I think I'm gonna go soak in the tub.

I had a dream the other day that I was soaking and then had the overwhelming urge to go #2, got out, dried off, sat down, and the baby's head came out. No contractions or anything. [Evil Laugh] That'd be awesome!

Boon
unregistered

Yeah, I slept last night from about 4am until about 11am, with only about 5 potty breaks. [Smile]

Well, so much for a relaxing evening. I still haven't made it to the tub. The newest development: my MIL will be here Wednesday. Her plane will be landing DURING my midwife appointment, unless I have the baby before then. Pray for me to have the baby by then, y'all. Seriously.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, good grief.

She's not staying with you, is she?

Boon
unregistered

Yeah, for 2 weeks. [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

O_O
Boon
unregistered

I know, I've been on the verge of tears all evening. Not only did she basically invite herself, she didn't even wait until hubby called her back this evening to set a date, she just booked the (non-refundable) tickets. So not only will I have to deal with her (even while he's at work and meetings), I now get to spend the next 2 days frantically trying to deep-clean the house instead of peacefully gestating. [Frown] [Frown] [Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

*sigh* I'm sure she thinks she's being helpful . . .
Boon
unregistered

In her defense, she's lonely. She just lost her husband of 33 years last month, and wants to visit her only child and grandkids. I don't really mind that, so much.

What I mind is that she's now super-worried about my birth plans, is calling herself a "maternity nurse" even though she hasn't worked on a maternity floor in over 35 years, and was spewing TONS of misinformation on the phone to hubby tonight. When she heard my midwife is a CPM instead of a CNM, she came unglued. I'm afraid I'll have to kick her out of the house while I'm in labor. That wouldn't be fun. [Frown]

I just...I don't mind her visiting, if she'd have waited to book a flight until we'd talked to her and asked her to wait until at least the 14th.

rivka
Member # 4859

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Breathe deeply!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe a hurricane will cancel her flight?
Boon
unregistered

Sigh. You know how I feel about interventions and stuff. If I don't go into labor by then, and the baby is low enough tomorrow, I'm having my membranes stripped in the morning. [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well.

I know it's not what you want, hon. But you've been in an awful lot of pain and discomfort for an awful long time.

ludosti
Member # 1772

[Frown] I'm sorry you MIL is adding stress to your life. You really don't need that right now! I say don't worry about cleaning your house - hand her a duster and toilet brush when she arrives! [Evil] I really hope that your baby will get moving for you soon!

My in-laws are wonderful, but a couple times while they were here a week ago, I remember telling my MIL (in response to some questions about plans for the day/meals/etc.) - "I don't have plans anymore! My plan is to take care Jessica!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

I'm with ludosti: get your mother-in-law to clean.

Nathaniel came early...the day before I had scheduled some professional cleaners to come take care of my house before the relatives descended. Instead, my mother-in-law and (for me even worse) my mother cleaned my house. It gave them something important to do in a stressful situation where they basically felt helpless. It was hard at first for me to let them do that, but I eventually got over it.

(Link is to photos of Nathaniel at birth, in the NICU, and later at home.)

I finally got those cleaners to come this past Saturday, and oh my gosh did they do an AMAZING job. If anyone lives in the northern VA area and would like their information, I really, really, really recommend them. I didn't think ANYONE could get our house cleaner than our mothers, but they did.

I may never clean my own house again.
/wishful thinking

Oh, and I'm guessing from hansenj's absence that perhaps she had the baby? Anyone know??

Good luck, Boon!!!! Thinking of you!!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I had scheduled some professional cleaners to come take care of my house before the relatives descended.
Now that is an idea. I think we had actually discussed this. Hmmmm.
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, she's had her baby. I've been waiting to let her announce it, though. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[Big Grin] James Kazuo Peterson was born on Friday night at 5:30pm, 8 lbs 1 oz, 19.5 inches long. Family's still all around and things haven't quite settled yet, so I'll write a more involved birth story later. He's very healthy and quite well behaved. I'm doing ok...it was rough on me, so I have some recovery ahead (he was posterior with cord around the neck, so she cut me and used a vacuum to get him here more quickly), but we're very, very happy!

Here's a link to our photo album: James Kazuo

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Jen! [Big Grin]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Soooo cute! Congratulations!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Congratulations! Very cute! Bridey was posterior and had the cord around her neck, too, and it was definitely harder to push her out.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Liz, I'd love the cleaner's information, when you get a chance. We're in Arlington, if that's close enough...
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yay!! What a cutey!! I'm sorry things were rough, but I'm so glad everyone is doing well!
rivka
Member # 4859

Congrats, Jennie! He's very sweet. [Smile]
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
He looks much less red and wrinkly and much more plump than newborns often do. Very cute!
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

What beautiful, beautiful baby boys! Congrats, both of you!

Sadly, I'm still not in labor. The baby was still WAY too high to risk stripping. Had some more diarrhea last night, and been having the same contractions as before... gah!

And the house is still a wreck, although it's somewhat better than it was...

And hubby is gone for the evening. He's now, along with everything else, a reserve deputy for the county south of us, and "had" to go help the sheriff with some election stuff. [Frown] HIS mom is visiting, HE wants the house clean, but HE can't bother helping. [Cry]

On a positive note, my bathroom (where I'll probably be actually giving birth) is spotless. Nobody but me is allowed in there until I'm in active labor. [Big Grin]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
"Oh Mother-in-Law, I'm so glad you're here! What with the contractions and the other kids I just haven't been able to do any of the things around the house that need to get done. I'm so glad you could come to help!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  41  42  43  44  45  46  47  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.