FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 5)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! I was a bit perplexed by some of the posts regarding morning sickness, including some of the drug recommendations for it. I just realized that Diclectin ISN'T available in the US.

Diclectin is listed by the FDA as a class A drug for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. As far as I know all the other drugs mentioned are class C... and yet it isn't available to women in the US. [Dont Know] Without this drug I'd spend my entire pregnancy in and out of hospital being rehydrated. You all have my sympathies! Hopefully I'm the only hatrack mom to be with severe hyperemesis.

If I were pregnant in the US with morning sickness and was anywhere near the Canadian border, I'd be hopping over to go to the nearest pharmacy!

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
FG, I tried that because I get nauseated when I drink anything with my food, but I get nauseated when I take the vitamins without food.

I woke up at 1:30 and threw up until 3.

quote:
How do you do with phenergan for nausea? I know you don't have a doctor yet but your dad could order some or you could substitute benadryl for it. I also just put someone on reglan last month because phenergan wasn't helping and she thinks reglan works great.
Phenergan was a lifesaver last pregnancy-- although I ended up cutting the pills in half because half a dose was enough to kill the nausea and vomiting, but a whole pill knocked me out for the rest of the day. However, I don't think I'm to the point where I want to try medication quite yet-- I took it last time because I was throwing up so often that I ended up in the emergency room because I had burst a blood vessel in my throat and threw up blood. (They had to flush my stomach to make sure it wasn't an ulcer. I NEVER want to do that again!) If I get to the point where it's bad enough that I need medication, I will definitely ask for phenergan, which works wonderfully for me!

quote:
According to my midwives, prenatal vitamins aren't essential for women who eat a healthy diet, especially during the first trimester. Folic acid IS essential but can be taken by itself which is both cheaper and easier to swallow.

Yes, but my morning sickness is so bad that I can't get a healthy diet-- AND I'm still nursing my 18-month-old twice a day. My mom and I agree it's important to take a supplement right now. She managed to get a hold of some coated ones that taste like nothing going down for me (thanks for the suggestion, Rivka, but if pills taste like ANYTHING, even anything good, I throw up immediately.) (That also rules out splitting it-- it would taste like B vitamins and I wouldn't get near it without puking.)

I'm considering maybe taking it after my dinner has settled a little but before my stomach is completely empty, with two saltines tonight. Hopefully that will work. *crosses fingers*

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
New problem: I'm incredibly thirsty but I can't drink without throwing up.

Sheesh.

I'm going to have to pretend I'm sick and take a small sip of Sprite every 15 minutes if I don't want to totally dehydrate.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet you're not ready yet for phenergan the wonder pill. Hmmm. *raises brow*

(I'm just teasing. You can make that decision)

Aren't breast fed babies supposed to get turned off by breast milk when another pregnancy occurs?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, don't you just wish you could hook yourself up to an I.V. and be done with it?

Nausea sucks. [Frown]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
Aren't breast fed babies supposed to get turned off by breast milk when another pregnancy occurs?

Some babies are more determined (or uncaring about the change in taste) than others. A significant number of mothers tandem nurse a toddler and an infant.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, Ems has cut back a bit, but still gets very upset if she doesn't get her "na-nas" at night and in the morning, at least for a few minutes. I think it's much more of a comfort thing for her than a nutrition thing.

quote:
And yet you're not ready yet for phenergan the wonder pill. Hmmm. *raises brow*

Acutally, I'm just not ready to start taking it before I'm under the care of the doctor I'm going to be seeing for my pregnancy yet. (Medi-Cal papers should come in a few days, but until then I'm still playing it safe.) [Razz]

And I haven't told anyone in my family except my mom that I'm pregnant yet-- and I'm not going to until I've figured out this whole due date thing, because that's the first thing they'll all ask.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
KQ, don't you just wish you could hook yourself up to an I.V. and be done with it?
*giggle* It sure would make things easier, wouldn't it!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I swear that this baby held back until I started to get excited about having it... and then unleashed its full powers to make me uncomfortable and sick. >_<
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My husband brought home Sprite and it's going down just fine! [Party]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, sounds like you got the vitamin nausea under control, but I had a success with a prenatal vitamin with reduced iron. Didn't someone here recommend one for me? I seem to remember posting the very same thing. [Smile] Hang in there with the nausea. Its no fun.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggle*
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, you are very restrained.

[ROFL] [Laugh]

I'm not. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Giggle indeed.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*snorts*

*laughs*

*tries not to laugh out loud and wake the baby*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*pokes her nose in*

I got some really cute maternity clothes with a Target gift card my aunt gave me. [Big Grin]

I think I get more judgemental when I'm pregnant. (That's not completely unconnected, I just don't think I'm going to share the in-between thought. [Wink] )

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on your pregnancy, kq!

I'm now 12 days (eek!) away from my EDD and finding it just about impossible to focus on anything but the coming baby. It's like the rest of the world has gone into soft focus. I have a horrible cold and a hacking cough right now, so I'm actually hoping that he decides to hold off on being born for a bit longer.

We were offered an induction with cervical gel this Friday. How tempting! The dr. offered it because there is concern on both ends about getting to the hospital in time (if Mr. Opera is at work it will take at least 80 minutes to get there; Operaetta's labor/delivery was less than 4 hours). However, we decided to decline for the time being. The plan is just to continue working on umm...natural...methods on weekends and to call Mr. Opera at the first contraction with pain if he's at work. I still can't believe I'm going to be a mother of 3 soon!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow. My mom had my second sister 12 minutes after she arrived at the hospital-- 2 minutes after she got to the delivery room. She didn't push. By the time she asked the doctor, "Can I push now?" my sister was already born.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Space Opera, I'm so glad you've made it so close to you EDD! Preterm labor is just the pits and the NICU isn't fun, either. I'm thrilled that you've dodged both.

kq, I had a lot less patience when I was pregnant. Frankly, I don't have that much patience for anything or anyone but Aerin right now, but hopefully that'll change once she's home.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes! See, I'm hoping to have a longer labor this time around. Operaetta came about 40 minutes after getting to the hospital, and it was very chaotic and kind of frightening. All the laboring plans I had flew out the window, and everything felt completely out of control. I get a lot of "Oh, weren't you lucky!" but I think a rapid labor has cons just like a slow one does.

Today I had to run into the kids' school for something and some lady I barely know says, "You still haven't had that baby yet?" I wanted to kick her, but instead said we had 11 more days till the due date. Mr. Opera said he hadn't realized till now how much questions like that can bug you! [Wink]

space opera

edit: Mrs. M., you snuck in there! *waves*

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

quote:
By the time she asked the doctor, "Can I push now?" my sister was already born.
Huh. Did she have any sort of anesthesia? If my child were born and I had full possession of my senses, I'd know. I'd know by the sudden, complete, and absolute absense of pain and pressure.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, she had been promised anesthesia but her labor progressed so fast that by the time she got there, she was in transition.

That's the thing-- she had the urge to push and all but they kept telling her to hold back, and Megan just came on her own. We have very wide hips and birth canals in my family, and she had delivered her first, a footling breech, only a few years before. She had me a full 9 1/2 years after Megan, and I was her longest labor-- a full 8 1/2 hours, almost an hour and a half of it at the hospital.

With my brother, she had contractions from 5 months until delivery (10 days before her due date.)

I pushed exactly 4 times with Ems. I've been told that's remarkable for a first child.

beverly
Member # 6246

Wow! That is such a crazy-wide variety in labors!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yup. The only common thread being that they progress fast-- at least compared to many women. Runs in the family-- at least, as far as I know. Her sister had the same thing, although her contractions weren't strong enough and the nurse literally got on top of her and pushed with her second. My cousin has three children and has never had more than 6 hours of labor.
Miriya
Member # 7822

Fast labour: that can be scary! I was at an appointment with one of my midwives when she was paged by another client.

Midwife: I got your page, _____ What's happening with you?
Woman: I think the baby is coming... hold on.
(pause)
Woman: Actually the baby is HERE!
Midwife: I'll be right there (running out the door)

Appearantly that lady put the phone down, caught her baby and then got back on the phone! [Eek!] Mind you that was a FIFTH baby.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Hang in there Space Opera. Those last couple weeks seem to last forever.

I'm getting impatient and I've got a longer way to go! (80 days and counting ... )

beverly
Member # 6246

Oh man, that would be fast. I would be so scared to birth all alone!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was doing so well. Three days with no vomit. And then...

I just threw up a can of Sprite. SPRITE. Which I had sipped VERY SLOWLY. Some of it came out my NOSE. It burns and hurts and is absolutely disgusting.

I am starting to secretly hope that that April due date which I am so sure is wrong is actually right, just so this might be over sooner. I HATE THROWING UP!!!

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs KQ and SO*

*laughs hysterically at accidental Tom posting, especially since I'm fairly sure he'll never know*

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Frankly, I don't have that much patience for anything or anyone but Aerin right now, but hopefully that'll change once she's home.
I think the NICU counts as the rest of your pregnancy. You're allowed to be grumpy, touchy, emotional, and snap at everyone in sight while she's in there, just like if she was still in utero. [Wink]

And then be weepy and overwhelmed when she comes home.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

AGAIN.

That is IT. I'm going back to bed, I don't feel nearly as sick when I don't get up until 10:30 or so.

I only got up to put the corned beef and potatoes and carrots in the crockpot, anyway.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I had the guts to make a dobie of this thread on the front page. [Razz]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Slurpies don't hurt as much when they come back up. They tend to be cold and not burn.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ahh, the sappiness of late pregnancy...

Dear Baby,

I got to thinking yesterday that I was going to have to share you soon. We have just 8 days to go till you're due and you'll be here any time now.

I'll warn you - I'm not a pillar of ethics. I didn't like the thought of sharing you. For almost 40 weeks it's been just you and me. I was the first one to know you even existed, and the first one to feel your movements. I was the first to love you, though the others weren't far behind.

And they do love you, Baby. I guess that's what softens the blow that soon you'll be everyone else's and not just mine.

Your big brother tells me every day he can't wait till you get here. It's funny; he's ten years old and has steadfastly ignored all babies until now. But you, you're special. Your tiny socks and sleepers make him say, "awwww." He lists all of the things he wants to do with you and everything he wants to teach you. Pay attention to him once you get here. Out of all the things he longs to teach you, the most important thing you'll learn is the value of being yourself. Your brother is amazing, creative, funny, and intensely unique. I don't know if I've ever met someone so comfortable in their own skin.

Your big sister says she loves you but she's nervous about not being the "littlest one" anymore. I think we can grant her that, eh? She'll be the last one standing over your crib as you fall asleep, and the first one noticing that you've awoken. Believe me, her sweet face will be a beautiful sight to wake up to. Like your brother, she has something important to teach you. You see, it's easy to take your sissy at face value. She's silly and sometimes even a little crazy. But listen to her laugh, and listen carefully. Your sister was sick a lot when she was younger; now it almost seems another lifetime ago. She went through a lot of pain and a lot of time looking at doctors, and not once did she stop laughing. Within her lies a strength that few people realize.

Your daddy is...how can I even begin to tell you about him? I admire and respect him more than any other person on Earth. He is unfailingly honest and decent and completely in love with you already. You should have seen his face light up last week - your little foot was sticking out and he gently poked it. A second later you poked back, and your daddy's grin was one of the most lovely things I've ever seen. You'll learn kindness from him, Baby, just as your brother and sister have. I see it in the way they make sure each duck gets a piece of bread when we walk around the pond, and the way they stop to move a caterpiller out of the path of harm. Your daddy is the type of man who traps a spider in a cup and throws it outside rather than harm it; that should tell you what kind of man he is. I'm incredibly fortunate not only to be his wife, but also to be raising children with him.

And then you have me. In this remarkable family you're about to be born into I remain the unremarkable one. I'm smart but not too smart, funny but not too funny, pretty but not too pretty...you get the picture. Each day I look at the three amazing people I share my life with and can't believe my good fortune. I'm awed that I have the love of a man like your father and that somehow I've managed to produce the two spectacular people who are your siblings. I feel grateful every single day to whatever force allowed me to become part of their lives. Call it destiny, call it God, call it biology - whatever name you call it, it's wonderful. So I guess in the end I have something pretty important to teach you too. Always recognize love, Baby. Allow yourself to be humbled by what binds you to others, and never take it for granted. You're a pretty lucky person already, just like me. You get to come into a world where four people love you more than anything and will always be there for you. There's so much love waiting for you, and none of us have even seen your sweet face yet.

And that love is what makes it okay. I couldn't share you with people who didn't love you as much as I do. So soon it won't be just you and me anymore; it will be all of us. So while I might not be a pillar of ethics for not wanting to share at first, you have to admit - I've picked you a pretty nice family. [Smile]

Love,
Mommy

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww. How sweet.

I don't get sappy in late pregnancy. I get incredibly grumpy and really mean.

The sappiness hits after the baby is born.

imogen
Member # 5485

[Smile]

I'd venture to wager your family thinks you are pretty amazing as well Space Opera.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

That was beautiful, SO. [Smile]

[whine]

I'm feeling solidarity with ketchupqueen and anyone else suffering the ill effects of morning sickness. I have true hyperemisis. I've seen that defined in different medical books as excessive nausea and vomiting in pregnancy including a) vomiting more than 25 times per day or b) vomiting to the point of requiring IV rehydration. I fit either definition when I'm without my meds. With my meds I feel icky but I can live normally.

A couple days ago I went to get my refill of my meds (totally routine) and the pharmacy LOST THE MEDS! They had already billed my insurance and "couldn't bill it again" They wanted $100 to give me my drugs (which were paid for by my insurance already but that was the ones I never got which they lost!). I didn't have the money, was standing there with my three other little ones, and had already been cooling my heels while they tried to find my prescription for over an hour!

[Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash] [Wall Bash]

I had to leave that day but I did eventually go in there and, with threats to report them to the college of pharmacists for gross incompetence, now have my meds again. I went without for over two days sorting this out and while I just got them and took one this afternoon I feel AWFUL!!! [Mad]

Did I mention it's Thanksgiving weekend in Canada and I'm going to a family dinner tomorrow AND another on Monday? *sigh* I need a green sick looking graemlin.

[/whine] I'll feel better soon... I'll just keep saying that.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*prays that Miriya will wake up feeling better in the morning*
Miriya
Member # 7822

Thanks kq. I'm starting to feel a little better. I'm not sure if the meds are kicking in or it's the emergency "skinny chips" my husband got me that I've been munching. Either way it's progress. [Smile]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel for you Miriya. That's rediculous about your meds.

I had serious morning sickness and I was hosting Thanksgiving last year! Tom started first thing in the morning sauteeing onions and that was it for me for the rest of the day. He had to finish all the food and I managed to eat a few bites, but mostly sat on the floor in the hallway where I was just close enough to the company to be personable, but far enough away from the food and close enough to the bathroom.

SO, that made me cry! I'm feeling sappy today. *hugs* What a wonderful person you are and what a wonderful family you have!

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Throwing up is even less fun when in between heaves you have to keep saying, "It's all right. Mommy's okay" to your 18-month-old, who is looking very worried about what's going on and is trying to climb the baby gate to get to you. [Frown]
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in the green stages of pregnancy for Thanksgiving the year before Rainbow was born. It was made worse by the fact that we were visiting my father in law, who was in the final stages of terminal cancer. It was all I could do to keep from throwing up the entire time I was there, due to the smells and sounds involved with his illness. And then feeling like the worst person in the world for wishing myself far away, when we knew there was very little time left.

I kept reminding myself that this was going to be a very brief period of time in teh grand scheme of things, but it really didn't make any difference. I feel for you kq, Miriya.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*shakes*

I think my blood sugar is getting kinda low.

But nothing I eat will stay down today. [Frown]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

kq, is there anything your doctor can offer to help?
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
She has to get a doctor, first. [Wink]
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

[Frown] (kq)
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Take care of yourself, kq.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
She has to get a doctor, first.
Exactly. We don't have a birth certificate for Emma, and we've sent for one but it will take weeks. So I called and they're sending an affidavit for me to sign. But once that gets there, I should be able to get in to see a family practitioner (within walking distance so I don't have to work around when Jeff needs the car), who will then be able to (finally!) refer me to an OB (whom I will hopefully be able to get to. My mom has offered rides if I have early appointments, although we would have to take the bus back; I'm going to ask my grandma, who also lives nearby, if she can possibly watch Emma on the days I have appointments.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I kept down my dinner! 2 1/2 servings of it! And a glass of milk and a prenatal vitamin! [Party]
imogen
Member # 5485

[Big Grin]

Yay!

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.