FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 50)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a random question in regards to my neighbor and not me. (Just wanted to make that clear.)

Anyway. Did/do any of you find yourselves turning up the heat/wanting it really warm in your house or apartment at night?

You know, when most people want it a little cooler?

I ask because the heat controller thing controls heat for our apartment and theirs, and they constantly want me to turn it up, especially at night. So it's unbearably warm over here.

However, I am making myself not be resentful, because in two months, my neighbor will be having a baby.

But I have found myself wondering if this is a common thing.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! I was unbearably warm for my pregnancy so I was constantly turning the thermostat down (and fans on and less clothes, etc.). Being pregnant for the entirety of summer in Phoenix wasn't fun. I joked that I carried around my very own portable heater everywhere.

I'm surprised that she doesn't just wear warmer clothing (more blankets, etc.) rather than turning up the thermostat... You are an awesome neighbor though for doing it and not being resentful over it!

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I was constantly overheated the first time and am usually cold this time. Although right now that might have more to do with getting over the flu -- I'm stil having bouts of the shivers.

I think that pregnancy messes with your internal thermostat, but not in a predictable way.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd tell her to get a blanket - I cannot sleep if I'm too hot.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I get hot flashes sometimes when I'm pregnant so it's just the opposite. There are nights when I kick off all the covers and turn on the fan.
Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the hot flashes when I was pregnant, too. I really never got cold--especially at night.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. I was hot all the time, too. Usually I'm cold, so it was weird. I kept pushing my husband away from my side of the bed when normally I'm trying to glom onto his body heat.
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I get hot AND cold flashes the third trimester. And sometimes I get the shivers but CANNOT STAND blankets or constrictive clothing. It's so fun...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I bought some maternity bras today. (My regular ones are too uncomfortable already).

Properly fitted etc - the two that fit were a 34G and a 36F. [Angst] And it's only 7 weeks....

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by imogen:
Ok, I bought some maternity bras today. (My regular ones are too uncomfortable already).

Properly fitted etc - the two that fit were a 34G and a 36F. [Angst] And it's only 7 weeks....

A little bigger and you'll be the same size as me. [Smile] And they haven't shrunk!!!!! Two months without breastfeeding and there still the exact same size.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Takes at least 6-12 months without breastfeeding to shrink noticeably. If then. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

So, there is still hope! (My friends deflate like the day after they wean so I was expecting something like that).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

How long it takes depends upon a lot of things...how long you nursed, how suddenly you quit, and of course, there's the "every woman is different" wildcard. [Smile]

My breasts went back to pre-pregnancy shape and size while I was still nursing....somewhere between 9 and 12 months. I continued nursing until almost 17 months with normal size breasts (for me...mind start at D/E).

Also, with my first pregnancy all my sizing up (2 sizes) happened in the first trimester...I never got bigger in the 2nd, 34d, or even after the baby was born and my milk came in. So you just never know...

So far, this pregnancy is following much the same pattern.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, some women don't shrink at all. Ask Boon.

I am really looking forward to the end of this. I am in EXCRUTIATING pain in my hips at this point, especially when rolling over, moving, walking, or, you know, anything but sitting or lying still. I can't do anything without such pain that I'm trying not to do anything. Owwww. I did NOT have this with the last two.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I never shrunk at all. I'm still waiting. I also only got bigger in my first trimester - I didn't go up hardly at all when my milk came in.

So... I have 3 follicles. Last time I had 3 follicles, I got pregnant with triplets. I wouldn't say that I'm panicking exactly.

My fertility has improved - I am on 1/2 the doses I was on last time with the same results. I am in much better shape, which I didn't realize would make such a dramatic difference. I shudder to think how many follicles there'd be with the full dose. Dr. Rosenberg was thrown by my reaction. Usually, people are thrilled by 3 follicles and he could tell I was, um, unsettled.

In other news, I am on antibiotics for the strep-B colony in my womb. They leave a horrid taste in your mouth and it's driving me crazy, but the babies will implant in bacteria-free tissue. He measured my cervix and it's not as bad as we thought, which is good. I wept hysterically for about 30 minutes last night because I miss my nanny, whom I haven't allowed myself to think about since she passed away 10 years ago. Hormones are crummy.

So many follicles. Not going to freak out.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

(((Mrs. M)))

We had a perinatalogist appointment yesterday (just one, for a level II ultrasound and consult since I'm over 35) and there were hundreds of pictures of former patients, lots of them with multiples. I noticed at least two sets of quints and lots and lots of twins and triplets. I'm sure your doctors will be able to handle whatever happens. But I hope for your sake that you end up concieving just one healthy baby. (Unless you're actually hoping for multiples.)

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

So, how many follicles are normal? How often do three follicles lead to three babies? (sorry, I am not that well informed on this stuff).
imogen
Member # 5485

(((Mrs M)))

It's good news about your fertility and cervix though. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, y'all. I'm feeling a bit calmer, but still wigged.

scholarette, from a fertility standpoint, 3 follicles (and these are big ones, too) is an optimim result. It's actually still pretty rare for a woman to conceive multiples, even with fertility treatments. I have a much higher chance because each of my pregnancies has been multiples. I have no idea how many follicles are normal for a healthy, adult woman. I think just one, but I definitely could be wrong.

I spoke to my OB today. She called to talk about the results of my strep test (the antibiotic I'm on is working). I told her about the follicles and her exact words were, "Don't do this to me." I said, "I know," and we both cracked up. It's nice to have a close relationship with your doctor.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

I need to find the reference again, but when I was reading up on fertility awareness I learned that 10% of the time, a woman drops two eggs in a cycle. (This is partly why if you are using the basal body temperature method to avoid conception, you need to wait to see 3 days of increased temperature.) Yet natural twinning only occurs about 1% of the time. I don't know if the second egg gets fertilized but doesn't thrive or if only one egg gets fertilized...but I thought it was interesting anyway.

Here we go...this is from the American Pregnancy Association:

"A woman cannot ovulate more than once during each cycle, therefore she cannot get pregnant more than once during a cycle. Multiple ovulation can occur and is when two or more eggs are released in a single cycle. Both eggs are released during one 24 hour period and are responsible for the birth of fraternal twins. It is believed that this may occur in as many as 5-10% of all cycles but does not result in that many twins due to a type of miscarriage referred to as the “vanishing twin phenomenon.”"

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/gettingpregnant/ovulationfaq.htm

dkw
Member # 3264

I think that multiple follicles develop during a normal menstrual cycle, but usually only the "ripest" one actualy releases an egg. That's one of the things that fertility drugs change, IIRC -- they encourage multiple follicles to release their eggs.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Owwwww.

It now hurts not only to walk, but to sit up, roll over, or any other kind of movement that involves the hips.

I am going to go get my EPO (started it last night, I'm officially full-term tomorrow, and at my appt. my doctor said we can probably schedule my induction! Good, 'cause I am in extreme, extreme pain, and having an end date might help!)

Christine
Member # 8594

I have to tell you, this late in the game (almost 24 weeks) the temptation to schedule and induction and get it over with is very tempting! Among other things, I could have my parents in town and not have to worry about last-minute calling down the list of 10 people who have volunteered to help if they can.

But I won't do it. I'd rather wait until the baby decides it's time to leave.

Poke...poke...ready yet?

scholarette
Member # 11540

If my first baby ended up being induced, (assuming I ever had a second), would they let me just schedule an induction or would they make me wait again?
Christine
Member # 8594

scholarette: I think every pregnancy is taken on a case by case basis. With a c-section, if you want a repeat c-section and don't want to try VBAC, you're very likely to be able to schedule a new c-section early on. Inductions are a milder intervention and usually just because one was medically indicated the first time, there's no reason to suppose it will be again.

I actually had an induction scheduled with my first (that turned out to be unnecessary as I went into real labor the very same day) but have not even broached the subject with my doctor this time. I think I jumped the gun the first time and don't plan to schedule with this one unless we swing by week 41 with no end in sight.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I had 2 weeks of contractions every 10 minutes before they agreed to induce me the first time. I told my new doctor about that, and when the same cx every 10 minutes started, I said, "I don't want to wait 2 weeks this time!" He agreed and let me be induced 2 days later. This time I just said, "I'm very comfortable with induction, I'd like to be induced at 39 weeks, please." He said, "Okay. We can schedule that about 37 weeks, probably."
scholarette
Member # 11540

My contractions were weird. They were more constant, like menstrual cramps. When I was induced and watched the timing, I started to feel the rise and flow, but in general, it just hurt non stop, for like a month. The idea of doing that again is terrifying.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Exactly.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Met the doctor (one of the two at this practice, my appt next month is with the other guy) today and all that fun stuff. He did the pelvic exam and told me I'd pretty much be good even with an 11 lb baby... (my family makes big babies, but i'm little compared to everyone. for example - mom's 5'11'' - i'm only 5'4''). The kid's in the right spot, so you guys were right. ; ) My worrying was just that - worry, of the needless variety no less...

Heart rate was good - I think he said 150. I was sort of transfixed by the screen at that point... Looks like a little sea horse! The doc also said I'm less far along than original thought - so right now I'm at 7 weeks... He pushed my due date to 11/25...

I think that's about it for now. Oh - he put me on folic acid because I've got a cousin with spina biphida. He said that it's more 'being more safe than sorry'... He just figured where I ended up being less far along and it might make a difference, it's certainly not going to hurt to take it.

That's about it until next month. Oh - except the whole 'sickness' thing. Sucks. AND it makes no sense. Totally random - and I can't figure one thing that makes it worse. I've been trying to do the whole eat a little all the time thing - so we'll see what happens. He told me not to sweat it, but if it gets really bad he'll call something in for nausea.

That's all I got... : )

Mrs.M - Congrats on everything working (maybe too well for your liking ; ) ) out as it is so far! : ) So - are you doing IVF? Tell me to buzz off if I'm being nosy. I thought I read that you were doing Clomid - that makes more eggs drop, right? So - do you do that and then they harvest eggs to implant a few days later?

ketchupqueen - Yuck. All you guys just get me so excited for what's comin' up... ; )

imogen - I'm going to have to go, too. The ones I'm wearing now aren't going to cut it for much longer at all... I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you - I'm a D or DD to start. Greeeeeat... ; )

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

Went to the doctor today and -- surprise! -- we did an ultrasound. I wasn't actually expecting another one but they just wanted to make sure everything was still on track, head down, placenta behaving, etc. All looked good!

I hope my contractions don't do a repeat of last time. Starting at around 36 weeks, I was having regular contractions every 10 minutes or so. I guess it could be worse if I had to endure a constant contractions!

imogen
Member # 5485

Wow, cmc, that means I've overtaken you! (Due 23/11, 8 weeks this Sunday.)

We could have our babies on the same day. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Just so all y'all know, my induction is scheduled for the 24th. [Big Grin]
scholarette
Member # 11540

Since it's not me that is pregnant, I can say this- wow, kq, it doesn't seem that long ago that you first announced you were pregnant. [Smile] Good luck.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'M NOT READY!!! [Angst]
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure ya are... ; ) You're like a pro at this or something... ; )

Good birthday, too. My best buddy from college will turn 30 tomorrow...

I'll be thinking of you and your family all day (admittedly not consecutively all day... ; ) ) tomorrow.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm ready to HAVE the baby.

I am not ready to bring her HOME.

My place is still a mess.

KPC is going to be doing a loooot of cleaning Fri.

Thankfully, he has until the 6th to be home with us and help get things in shape (thank you Paid Family Leave!)

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been nesting all winter, so I could technically go into labor today, and the only things I'd have to worry about would be getting the baby's carseat into the car and packing my hospital bag.

Too bad I have five more weeks until my due date. How is it possible it's still that long?!

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Our house is on the market, so it's as clean as it's ever been since we moved in. So technically we could bring a baby home any time. Except that that would make it very hard to keep the house in condition to show to prospective buyers. It's hard enough with a toddler -- toddler and new baby? Forget it.

Ten more weeks. Please, please, please let it be sold by then.

imogen
Member # 5485

Good luck KQ - Have fun! [Smile]

Brinestone, wanna come nest at my place? It could really use some organisation... I'm sure the round trip to Australia would make 5 weeks fly by.

scholarette
Member # 11540

Ok, a friend (who is very much not me) had an ER trip on April 6th and they said, oh, it looks like you are just barely pregnant based on blood tests. The results were about as low as detectable. So yesterday she had an ultrasound and they couldn't see an eggsac (though they also didn't see anything in the tubes). I wasn't sure what to tell her. I thought it was potentially early enough that it wasn't detectable. Her next appt isn't until next week, so I am not sure what to do to help her not stress.
rivka
Member # 4859

HCG is detectable in the blood as early as 7-8 days after ovulation; the egg sac (IIRC) often cannot be seen on an ultrasound until ~5 weeks post-period (so as much as two weeks after HCG levels are detectable). A low-resolution ultrasound machine would probably add a week or two, as would an unlucky or unskilled technician.

Did they measure her HCG levels again? What did her doctor say?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

The dr did more blood workup but won't have the results until Monday (or won't tell her the results). He said they would talk then when more is apparent.

edit to add- looking online, some people mention that tilted uteruses can be more difficult to do ultrasounds on. That might matter.

rivka
Member # 4859

Timing on results almost certainly depends on the lab (and transport time and related delays), rather than the doctor.

I can understand the doctor not wanting to say anything definite when it's both so early and the results are not in. Hey, it's not so long ago that women couldn't be sure they were pregnant for 2-3 months! [Wink]

scholarette
Member # 11540

My mom says she liked it better that way- none of the early agonizing.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I dunno, it was quite a shock to find out I was pregnant with Bridget (when I was almost 3 months along...) I think I like knowing better... But then, there were other circumstances in play, too.

And my bag is just about packed... And my mom's getting ready to come over... We're going to put Bridget down and then she's coming and then we're going to have Emma sleep in our bed with Jeff while my mom sleeps and I stay up and probably watch tv so we leave on time. 'Cause I doubt I would sleep anyway...

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, KQ, I'm so excited for you!!! ((KQ))
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

Good luck. Have fun. [Smile]

(Retroactively, since by the time you read this Maggie will already be here.)

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
((kq)) I'll be thinking about you today!!! I hope things go well!

Yay Maggie!! [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

So, is little Maggie here yet?
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.