FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 52)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My contribution to this thread is my discovery yesterday that "doula" comes from the words for "slave" in ancient Greek.

Use that information appropriately.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw - how fast was your mother's 2nd labor? I don't know how my first labor compared to my mother's, but I know her 2nd and my 2nd were both very fast (mine was less than 3 hours). I don't know if that is just coincidence or if there is anything hereditary about that.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I don't know.

The conference starts Thursday, and we're seeing the doctor on Wednesday afternoon. At this point I'm thinking that if I'm dialating at all I probably won't go. (And then won't go into labor for another 3 weeks. But if I do go I would go into labor that weekend, so I'll be kicking myself either way.)

I shared this elsewhere, but you all might get a kick out of it . . . one of John's favorite books right now is Baby on the Way. Last night he gave me his version of how this all works -- "Baby inside Mommy tummy. Squeeze and squeeze and squeeze and squeeze . . . baby outside!" [Big Grin]

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw, if only it were that easy! I, as usual, have no useful advice on whether to go or not. I can't leave Richmond until the baby is born.

I forgot how much I stink at being pregnant. I have just enough nausea for it to be annoying and I get dizzy if I stand up too quickly. I didn't have that with Aerin, so I'm theoretically happy about it. The reality is crummy. I also have OHSS again, so I have a lot of bloating and pain. I am also exhausted and fall asleep right after I put Aerin to bed.

The good news is that I'm past when I lost Baby C and my levels are doubling normally.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm glad you're doing well and sorry you're feeling crummy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
Mrs. M- that's great. I hope it continues working out! Sorry, you are miserable, though as my dr said whenever I complained- you're pregnant, that's just the way it is. [Smile]
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Mrs M! I'm glad things are going well so far!! I'm so sorry about the nausea and dizziness - I know how awful that is. I hope things will get better (or at least not worse)! [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mama Squirrel:
dkw - how fast was your mother's 2nd labor? I don't know how my first labor compared to my mother's, but I know her 2nd and my 2nd were both very fast (mine was less than 3 hours). I don't know if that is just coincidence or if there is anything hereditary about that.

I would agree with this. My first one was faster than most people's first; but my second one was the "ripping off the clothes before the baby pops out" fast! They were undressing me on the elevator because they were sure I wasn't going to make it up to the delivery room.

(and my mom said it was pretty much that way when she had me, as well -- I was her second)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bad girl today. I wanted to wait longer, but today is my first day home alone since the baby was born and I was taking a good look at myself in the mirror and feeling quite insecure about my post partum body. So, I got out the scale.

I only lost 13 lbs. That leaves me with almost 30 lbs to get to my pre-pregnancy weight and another 10 I'd just like to lose but maybe shouldn't think too much about right now.

The thought of waiting another 4 weeks to even get started dieting is driving me nuts. Or maybe I was already nuts. [Smile]

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, the day I came home I was only 8 lbs below my day-I-delivered weight. And I had a 7 1/2 lb. baby. So I had GAINED weight.

13 lbs. is a great start, and I know that that next few weeks is always a big time for weight loss for me. After that it slows down, but wait a few more and see what happens.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I came home from the hospital weighing exactly what I did before I got pregnant. And after a year of breastfeeding, at my 1 year postpartum checkup I had not lost another ounce. [Frown]

This pregnancy I've only gained 10 lbs (as of two weeks ago, anyway), so hopefully I can come through with a net loss. And maybe tandem nursing will give me a little extra loss as well.

---

I consulted with Mom on the 2nd labor question -- She had a 9 hour labor with me and 7-8 hours with ElJay. But she was induced with a previous pregnancy when the baby died in utero at 6 months, so technically I might count as the second delivery. And the first took much longer, but that was because it was a pre-term induction. So who knows? [Dont Know]

36 weeks today, doctor visit tomorrow.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I've given birth 6 times now.

I hate being overweight and diet and work out as soon as I can. However, it doesn't make a difference, except in making me dry up.

So, with my most recent baby (Moose), I waited until he was 3 months old and started working out 6/week and doing Atkins.

After 3 months of sweating, I got on a scale at a doctor's office and...I had GAINED 10 pounds.

*grrrrrrrr*

Also, my milk had started to dry up.

I weaned Moose a few months ago and now it's coming off.

But it takes a whole year for me to even start getting my body back--and since my kids are usually 18 months to 2 1/2 years apart, I have my body "back" for about 3 weeks before I get pregnant again. *eyeroll*

My husband Dragoon says that I lose weight and get cuter until I reach Critical Cuteness, which is when my chances of getting pregnant again begin to rise.

So....it could be worse. You could have not lost any weight at ALL. Or be gaining it.

All the same...I know how crazy-making it can be. I would love to know what it's like to mother a newborn while getting to fit into my jeans.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
James is four months old, and I still can't fit any of my pre-pregnancy pants. [Frown] I plateaued at 15 pounds heavier than when I got pregnant. I'm really going to have to work hard to lose the last 15 pounds.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

As I've read in several places -- it took you nine months to gain it, you should think along those lines for losing it.
scholarette
Member # 11540

I couldn't diet while nursing. I got grumpy and mean and super emotional. So, I ate and mantained the weight I was until I stopped nursing. Then I came up with other excuses for 3 months and now I am dieting again. After the baby was born, I lost like 20 pounds and since I started dieting, I lost another 10. One of my requirements before I have another baby is I lose the weight from this one. Kinda depressing that my baby is 17 months and I still have another 15 pounds to go (I gained more then I should have).
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I wouldn't even try to diet while nursing. Try to eat healthier, yes, but not an intentional reducing diet. It's way more important to me that my kids are able to nurse for the first few years than that I lose weight faster.

I didn't intentionally "diet" during this pregnancy either -- but cutting out caffineated soda and coming home for lunch rather than eating out (plus nursing a toddler while pregnant) has kept my weight gain at the lower amount reccomended for women who start pregnancy 40 lbs or more overweight. Which I'm happy about. [Smile]

Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I lost about 30 lbs. almost immediately--within the first 3 weeks ppstpartum. Apparently I was pretty swollen. I've since put about 5 lbs back on (I was So. Hungry. All the time!), which puts me at 15 lbs above my pre-pregnancy weight. (It would only be 5 but I lost 10 lbs right before getting pregnant.) I can wear the clothes I was wearing last summer when I was a little bit pregnant, and can almost but not quite get into the jeans I was wearing before I lost the weight before I got pregnant.

I've just started working out again, which should help my clothes start to fit better. As for food...well, the other day I ate a very healthy lunch of a BIG salad with leftover lean steak, some raw baby turnips, and lots of water. And I was so hungry by 3:30 I needed to eat lunch again--this time turkey potpie. [Big Grin]

So I think I'll be concentrating my efforts on exercise for now. I'd like to be able to get into some of my work clothes again by August.

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Liz B:
(I was So. Hungry. All the time!)

That's what nursing was like for me too. I had a net weight loss with each of my pregnancies (losing weight for the first 15-20 weeks will do that) -- comparing before-pregnant weight to day-after-delivery weight -- and then gained it all back (plus some) while nursing.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

Yeah, that's why I'm concentrating on exercise for now. Being hungry makes me much grumpier than not being able to wear my old clothes. A few years ago I lost a lot of weight very sensibly, so I know what dieting hunger should feel like and how to make it go away without sabotaging myself. The nursing hunger is entirely different. I also obviously don't want to compromise my supply, and I figure listening to my body's signals is a good way to make sure I don't. (I think Nathaniel is in a growth spurt right now because he's waking up again at night...but also because of how THIRSTY I am.)
Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
The nursing hunger is entirely different.

Totally. The only time I ever asked someone at a wedding if they were going to finish their meal was when I was nursing. [Blushing]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

Totally. The only time I ever asked someone at a wedding if they were going to finish their meal was when I was nursing. [Blushing]
[ROFL]

That's awesome.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

I'm so glad to hear that there's such a thing as nursing hunger. I'm always *starving* in the afternoon and had thought something was wrong with me.

I lost my pregnancy weight very quickly (because of all the nausea/vomiting I had, I ended my pregnancy the same weight as I started it, so I wasn't sure how things would work out). At one week post-partum, I'd lost 15 lbs and by 6 weeks post-partum I'd lost a total of 30 lbs. I seem to have stayed that same weight (which is fine with me), but I do hope to lose a little more next year after Beanie is weaned (and get closer to my ideal weight).

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooooh, yeah. 'Cept I'm hungriest at night. Possibly 'cause that's when mine tends to cluster nurse right now.
scholar
Member # 9232

- posted      Profile for scholar   Email scholar         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was packing on the food while nursing, whenever anyone looked at me funny, I'd say, hey, I'm still eating for two- and she is a whole lot bigger now then when she was in my tummy.
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

[ROFL] So very true!!

I'd never made the connection between cluster nursing and my afternoon hunger, but that makes perfect sense!

dkw
Member # 3264

So, the doctor thinks it would be fine to go. But the more I think about it the more I don't really want to go. I've already lined up people to take my official responsibilites and it really is a gruelling weekend, and even the thought of it is making me tired. I'm supposed to get up and move around every hour, so sitting in a crappy folding chair for 4 days straight is not particularly appealing. Actually, I'm really not sure my hips and back could stand it.

I think I've talked myself out of going.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think that's probably a good thing.

Though you'll probably always fantasize about "What if I had gone and gone into labor."

ludosti
Member # 1772

It sounds like going would be a major ordeal. I'm glad you were able to talk yourself out of it and I hope you'll be happy with your decision. [Big Grin]
Liz B
Member # 8238

quote:
The only time I ever asked someone at a wedding if they were going to finish their meal was when I was nursing.
[ROFL]

I'm always eyeing my husband's meals. Not asking. Just--looking.
quote:
sitting in a crappy folding chair for 4 days straight is not particularly appealing
Yikes! That's enough reason not to go right there, even if it were being held in your house.
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by hansenj:
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:

[ROFL]

That's awesome.

I should point out that she had already set her plate aside (IOW, I was pretty sure the answer was "no") and she's someone I know fairly well.

. . . and after I finished the second half of her prime rib (in addition to my chicken), I was full. [Wink]

quote:
Originally posted by scholar:
When I was packing on the food while nursing, whenever anyone looked at me funny, I'd say, hey, I'm still eating for two- and she is a whole lot bigger now then when she was in my tummy.

The estimate is that you need an extra 300 calories per day when pregnant -- and 500 extra when nursing.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

This is my most nauseous day so far. The baby doesn't even know how to tell time - I woke up last night at 2 AM and just felt wretched. I'm at the point where the thought of food makes me feel sick. I'm forcing myself to eat. The baby is apparently a health nut, because all I can tolerate is green vegetables and fruit. I also have a craving for eggplant.

Also, the baby really hates Chinese food. So much so that I don't know if I'll be able to eat it even after he's born. What kind of Jewish baby doesn't like Chinese food?

My first ultrasound is this Friday. I really hope it's just one baby.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good luck!
dkw
Member # 3264

Good luck Mrs. M.

I couldn't handle Chinese food this time either. And with both pregnancies I craved insane amounts of fruit in the last month or so. But that might have been because it was summer and so ridiculously hot. Also because I have a hard time drinking as much water as I'm supposed to, so fruit helps with the hydration.

I actually ate a half a watermelon a day for a couple weeks last pregnancy. I think I could do that this time too, but I've been getting more variety instead -- peaches, plums, cherries, apricots, grapes, other melon. And watermelon too, of course.

scholarette
Member # 11540

I craved fruit all the time while pregnant. Now that monster is out and eating, she LOVES fruit. Her third word (after uhoh! and doggy) was strawberry. She sits by the refrigerator shouting it until we open and then she'll grab whatever fruit we have and run.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I looooove fruit while pregnant. Veggies too-- lots of salads-- but especially fruit.

I had a thing for olives this last time, I don't usually like olives much but I loved olive oil on anything, on bread or I would stick my finger in a bowl of leftover and lick it! I also ate black olives and canned peaches-- together. Mmmmm.

I don't give strawberries to my kids until they're one, of course, but the two that are old enough do adore them. And my first sentence was "Mas fwesa pweese" (I spoke English and Spanish at the same time and would use whatever word was easiest for me to say.) We are definitely strawberry lovers in this family.

Sachiko
Member # 6139

Asian stuff is exactly what I crave when I've got MS.

Hot sour soup is tops. I also need a lot of green tea with fresh ginger. And it must be super hot, or super cold.

Though I craved chocolate with Cherry Blossom...she's the chocoholic.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I wanted tea this last pregnancy, but I gave it up when I converted. So I ameliorated the craving with Mandarin Orange Spice herbal tea. That was all I could drink for about 2 months. (And boy was I mad when my cat knocked it in the sink and my daughter ran water on it... I sent my husband to three stores until he found another box.)
Sachiko
Member # 6139

I have been getting the back-and-forth on the green tea thing.

On the one hand, it is a Hot Drink. (though I prefer it iced)

OTOH, it has only a third the caffiene of cola drinks, and I use it medicinally.

And, of course, the everyone-else-is-doing-it argument: My obachan, who's been a temple worker for years upon years, introduced me to it when I had morning sickness at her house.

I've asked bishops; nobody's given me a clear Yes or No. They were okay on the medicinal use.

But I still worry, so I try to drink CS's Peach Apricot Honeybush tea. I LOVE that stuff. And, of course, I can't find it for love or money anymore. Whereas green tea has now become ubiquitous.

ludosti
Member # 1772

*shrug* When I was a missionary (almost 10 years ago - yikes!) we taught that "tea" refers to both black and green teas (they're made from the same plant). I would imagine that the issue would be a big one in Japan. Green tea is ubiquitous and has shown some interesting health benefits, so I've been interested in the medicinal ramifications of it. [Smile]
Sachiko
Member # 6139

When I got my wisdom teeth out, my (LDS) dentist/endodontist/torturer told me to pack the sockets with Lipton tea bags.

Which helped a LOT with the healing, and also meant for a week I was a black tea percolator, with a continous dribble of the stuff in my mouth.

I've used tea bags for breastfeeding issues, too.

So I figured green tea falls into the "medicinal" category. If black tea can be used to heal, then why not green? It being the same plant and all.

Here's a question: if it is bad to drink green tea for morning sickness, is it bad to take green tea capsules?

Or is it that we are not to ingest tea plants at all, no matter how they are processed or whatever?

Was it wrong for me to use tea bags when I had my wisdom teeth out?

ETA: Not trying to troll.Really asking here.

I know that some parts of the Word of Wisdom are pretty set-in-stone, and some are left more to personal interpretation; I am interested what people think is left to personal revelation, and what isn't.

For instance, my green tea use shocks my LDS mother, who objects to it, once as she was pouring herself her fifth Diet Coke that day. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

[ June 12, 2008, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Sachiko ]

scholarette
Member # 11540

I tend to interpret rules much more loosely then others, but I think that is fine. Of course, the once a year I am with my in laws, my husband and I drink tea with them. We figure it is infrequent use, not an addiction and any negative health benefits are more then made up for by not dealing with the stress of refusing and the family trauma that is sure to follow.
ludosti
Member # 1772

I think when talking about the Word of Wisdom, it's important that the focus be on respecting and caring for our bodies (the things that we eat/drink are certainly a part of that). I, personally, would treat black/green teas like I would other medications.

I certainly did not mean to come across as judgmental about the green tea issue. I guess I was just surprised that there was ambiguity about it. [Smile] I'm a big fan of personal interpretation and in my opinion you've not done anything wrong (though I also think that what I think shouldn't matter).

Sachiko
Member # 6139

I also think that what others think shouldn't matter, but I think I only think I think that, when REALLY I think that I do care what others think.

And, since I post here, I also care about what others think about what I think.

("I like less than half of you less than half as well as you deserve" etc. [Smile] )

I agree about the focus of the W of W.

I haven't been a missionary, though I have spent some years abroad as a Jack Mormon.

I don't think you're judgemental. Not that I think you care about what I think about what you think.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I would put the tea bags on the sockets if I had to (and will-- got 2 pulled today!) That's medicinal use.

But to me, green tea is from the tea plant. Therefore I do not drink it. I believe the majority consensus I have come across is that green tea is not to be drunk unless it is medicinal and prescribed by a reputable medical-type person. That is certainly what is taught in Japan (per several friends who served missions there.) But I concede that the minority on this issue is rather large. So I just don't get into it. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and I do drink caffienated soda, though most definitely in moderation-- never more than 2 a day and usually that would be refills of a fountain drink, and I think even when I'm not nursing a baby it's less than twice a month on average.

I limit it for two reasons-- one is to not become caffeine-dependent, and the other is to maintain its medicinal effect on me (I have low blood pressure episodes, especially when pregnant, and get migraines.)

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Twins. Freaking out.

They are each measuring about the same - B is .1 of a centimeter bigger than A. Their heartrates are 128 bpm. Everything looks good so far, but I'm terrified.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh!! How exciting!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Twins! I know you were hoping for only one, but I'm very excited for you. [Big Grin] I'm glad they both look like they're doing well!
ludosti
Member # 1772

Twins!! I can certainly imagine how freaked out you would be by the prospect of twins, but it's so great that they're looking good! [Smile]
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] ((Mrs.M))

[Cool] I am glad everything looks good.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  49  50  51  52  53  54  55  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.