FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 56)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I am always so happy to hear that everyone's babies are growing well and mommies are surviving.
Hope it all keeps going well!!! [Party]

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Cmc - yes, the low ones are the worst. Plus they often seem to increase pressure on my bladder. And that does *not* need any help at this stage!

I haven't seen any movements yet, but I'm sure it will happen.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Y'all, the groin kicking is the worst. That was Aerin's favorite place to kick me. I'm not looking forward to a double dose, though I'm hoping there won't be enough room for them to double-team me. It gets so uncomfortable that you feel like you're going nuts and you start saying things to the baby like, "Cut that out! I know you can hear me!"

imogen, is a cot the same thing as a crib here in the States? I love handmade baby quilts, but I ended up having to buy mine at Pottery Barn. No quilters in my family.

cmc, how exciting that you can see the movement from the outside! Try shining a flashlight on your belly. They go nuts - it's so funny.

I actually had my ultrasound today. Good thing I checked my calender last night. Stupid pregnant brain. The babies are great. A is 3 ounces and hanging out directly above my cervix. B is 4 ounces and is to the left and on top of A. They were both moving, but A is definitely the hyper one. Their sacs are so big - no wonder I'm popping out. To my huge surprise, my cervix did not funnel. At all! I was sure it had. Dr. Christmas said that he's even happier with the cerclage than he was at the surgery. My next u/s is in 2 weeks and I'm hoping we can find out the sexes then.

kq, I got the Graco Quattro Tour. Since we're using the Graco car seats/carriers, it's the easiest for now. Aerin's first stroller was so heavy that I'm pretty much used to it. We're definitely going to switch to a lightweight side-by-side when they outgrow the car seats. Everyone I know who has a Maclaren loves it, but I haven't been able to find a snack tray that will attatch. I need a snack tray.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear people with big cars like the QTD. I adore adore adore my Maclaren, but if you prefer a sbs with trays, you might consider the Peg Perego Aria 60/40. It not only has trays, it accepts carseats! In fact, it accepts all car seats, because it has a strap to securely hold seats that aren't the brand of the stroller.

Now, um, I don't want to rain on your parade-- but are you aware that SnugRides don't usually fit smaller babies very safely? If you'd like I'd be happy to provide a list of infant seats in a wide range of prices that are rated for smaller babies and have special features to fit preemies and low-birthweight babies better and more safely.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

The Graco fit into our Forester and we're trading it in for a Volvo wagon, so trunk space hopefully won't be an issue. I'm actually bringing both the Graco and Aerin's Peg to the dealership, plus all 3 car seats to make sure everything fits. They'll love me.

The Aria is kind of low to the ground and I've heard they don't hold up to the rigors of 2 kids. I'm going to hold out hope that Maclaren realizes that a lot of moms need snack trays. Or that some company realizes that there's a market for a snack tray that fits Maclarens.

The SnugRide was approved by my NICU doctors, nurses, and the physical therapist there (not hyperbole - they actually all inspected it). The firemen who installed it said it was okay, too. Anyhow, we're getting either the SafeSeat or car beds, depending on how the babies do.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Maclaren, from what I've heard, has no plans for trays any time soon... There are other brands that have bars as well that get good reviews. (I think Chicco has one? Not sure...)

The SafeSeat is definitely not great for preemies. Not that it wouldn't be SAFE if the babies pass the challenge, the straps are at or below their shoulders, and they weigh at least 5 lbs. at discharge (the minimum weight it's approved to.) But that there are others that would be safER. Just a thought. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, checked a thread that had recs for a similar situation for sbs that would accept carseats. The Zooper Tango Duo is one that was rec'd, as well as the Peg I mentioned (apparently the new 60/40 is getting MUCH better reviews than the old Pegs.) The other rec was not to bother with anything but a Maclaren and a Snap 'N Go (they come in double) for while the kids are still too small for the Mac.
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

kq - I just realized that the issue is moot. Our NICU doesn't discharge babies until they're above what would be considered low birth weight. Especially since they don't allow anything that doesn't come attatched to the car seat (rolled blankets, etc.). I couldn't wrap my mind around why all the docs and nurses and therapists would let me put Aerin in an unsafe carseat. All the blood in my brain is clearly draining to the babies.

Also, I'm leaking colostrum already.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

oooh, I hated that! My t-shirts all got stained.

And that makes sense. One thing with the SS1s, though, is that they have higher top slots than some. So you might want to look into that before buying... Also, many babies are much happier once they hit 8 or 9 months (in your case, adjusted) in a convertible sitting more upright so they can see out better; the SS1 can't adjust at all. Just something to think about. [Smile]

The rolled blankets aren't usually considered a hazard, actually, it's the head supports that are made by a different brand that are more of a hazard!

imogen
Member # 5485

Mrs M - me too! I started at about 14 or 15 weeks as well. Still going strong.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liz B
Member # 8238

- posted      Profile for Liz B   Email Liz B         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm back from a long vacation and so happy to hear that everyone's pregnancies are going well. Heartburn and all. [Smile]

FWIW, the NICU approved the SnugRide for my preemie (released at 5 lbs 1 oz).

Of course, Nathaniel had outgrown it in length before 8 months, well before he would've outgrown it in weight. (Something I didn't consider when shopping.) So now he's in the big boy carseat.

Even though we didn't get a full year out of the SnugRide, I think it was worth it to have the carseat/infant carrier for the first few months (as opposed to going straight to the convertible we have now).

Posts: 834 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

For a baby who was barely 5 lbs. when released, yeah, I'd not recommend a convertible from the start! For sure!

For my long-torsoed girl, it's been great (she's now on the third slots of her Radian-- at 3 months. Her torso is as long as many two year olds'.)

I strongly suggest that everyone gets your carseat approved by a CPST as well as hospital staff. The hospital staff usually only have basic training and may not be up to speed on correct fit in every case, even NICU staff (oh, the horror stories I've heard...)

There are, of course, exceptions. My hospital keeps 3 actual CPSTs on staff to check carseats going home (not the short course given to nurses, etc., but the full week-long CPST course certification.)

imogen
Member # 5485

We've organised to hire a capsule for the first 6 months and then we'll buy a convertible car seat.

I think it will be good for safety, but I've also been told it's great for being able to take it out when the baby is asleep and not having to wake the baby.

imogen
Member # 5485

Oh, and I took pictures of my bump . I'm really happy now it is a "Yes, I'm obviously pregnant" size.
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait - you mean we have to strap the kid in?? ; )

What's the capsule?

Lookin' good, imogen! Here's Laurie and me - she's about two weeks ahead of me and she's got twins... I'm on the right... ; )

picture

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

It's a safe and sound capsule - this one . One of the biggest and most popular brands here.

Love the bellies. I'm waiting for when my belly button turns inside out.... It's always been a really deep innie, and it still is in, but is much more shallow.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Safe and Sound is Britax in America, the UK, and France (Roemer in Germany and Britax/Roemer in Scandinavia.) Capsule is carrier carseat or "bucket carseat" (depending on where in the country you live.) [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and my belly button didn't "pop" until my third pregnancy. It got shallower but never turned with my first two. It had to do with the way the baby was lying, I think.
cmc
Member # 9549

My belly button doesn't really seem close to popping out - but it's definitely 'popped out', if that makes any sense at all. I've got a serious innie so I sort of wonder if it'll actually ever really come all the way out, but it's definitely farther than it was. How do I know this? Because I had my belly button pierced and now it looks like I got a little brand tattoo of TWO dots above my belly button... Oh Well... ; )

Laurie's, on the other hand, had already popped out in mid-March the last time I saw her. She's also a really thin person, not sure if that plays into it at all...

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine never popped out with either pregnancy, but it did get stretched the second time. It was wider than usual and the skin inside was raw and oozing for a week or so. And it ITCHED. Oh, did it itch. Also felt like someone was stabbing me in the belly button with an ice pick for a few days.

kq, thanks for recommending the radians. We bought one for John just after Charles was born since it was a little crowded in the backseat with the Graco Stage 1 and 2 SafeSeats both there. We love it! The straps are so much easier to tighten, it has the slidy-things to keep them from scratching his neck, and the profile is so low and small it's like there isn't even a carseat there. We took it on the airplane on our Florida trip and it was easy to install & uninstall in the plane and the rental car. We'll definitely be buying the same for Charles when he gets too heavy to carry in the infant carrier seat.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

So glad you like them! They rear-face to a full 35 lbs. with the new manufacture date, so you will even get a few extra months RF for Charles. [Smile]
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I love all the belly pictures! [Smile]

My belly button didn't pop out either. It did stretch wider and got shallower, though I didn't have the ickiness that dkw did.

I'm excited for my radian too! I figure Beanie will be too tall for her Snugride sometime in the next month or two, so I ordered a radian. I can't wait to get it and see how cool it is. I'm glad to hear it has slidy things to protect her neck - I hate how the current one makes red marks on the sides of her neck.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Dude, Sunshine Kids should give me kickbacks. [Wink] Or at least a discount on the next one I buy (I'm sure there will be more! [Razz] )
ludosti
Member # 1772

Yeah they should!! Or make you their spokeswoman or something! [Big Grin]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend had a baby not two weeks ago, and I know they are going to be flying while little Andrew is still tiny. Does anyone have any recommendations about airplanes and small babies? I seem to remember ketchupqueen or rivka (or dkw?) mentioning a harness for the plane. Does anyone remember?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

I don't think the harness would work for a baby that can't sit up yet. We flew to Florida when Charles was 4 weeks old, and the best place I found for him was on my armrest. I had the window seat and I put him against the wall of the plane with his feet to the rear. I rested my foot on my carryon bag under the seat in front of me to raise my knee and folded my mayawrap sling to make a pillow for him. He was about halfway between on his back and facing me, it was really easy to nurse him in that position and when he fell asleep I just slip my foot out a little to lower his head and left him there. Hands free, secure baby.

Also, she should be sure to check with her airline -- with Northwest at least diaper bags don't count toward your carryon bags and strollers and carseats don't count for carryon or checked. We gate checked Charles' carseat and stroller frame and on the way home we gate-checked those plus an extra stoller because it turned out to be cheaper to buy a new double stroller than to rent one at Disney for 10 days. And the Disney doubles aren't infant-compatible anyway.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The harness is ONLY for children 22 to 45 lbs. and forward-facing. And IMO, it's way too expensive, and it's only useful anyway if you have a carseat waiting at your destination. If you're bringing your carseat along, why bother spending $80 when you could just use your seat on the plane?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(It's called CARES if you want to google it.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Baby B'air is for infants, if you want to google that. But if they have an extra seat you should always put baby in his own carseat on the plane.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and we have got to the point where we just buy an extra seat for even under twos. They will give you half price for the baby's seat of whatever you paid-- even if that price is not available any more. You call them and they have to give you a 50% discount over what YOU paid for the baby's seat.
dkw
Member # 3264

Are you sure? I was told we had to pay full price for the kids to have their own seats. We got one for John anyway, since he's way too big to hold on a lap for 3 hours even though he's under two.

Edit: sure about the "have to" part, I mean. I'm not questioning whether or not you got that discount.

scholarette
Member # 11540

I know Southwest still give's a child's fare (though I don't know how much). Airlines lately have been eliminating every discount and "perk" that I would not be surprised if the other airlines cut the children's discounts.
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
He'll be about 5 months when he flies, and I'm sure his mom and dad will be looking into all sorts of options, but the Baby B'air is the one I was thinking of. For when he gets a bit older. They live far from their families, so they'll be travelling frequently on holidays and stuff.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was under the impression that it was a regulation or something.

Every airline I've checked lately still gives a "child's fare" for under twos. You do have to pay full price for two and above, but it's been that way for ages.

dkw
Member # 3264

Northwest is the one that told me otherwise. Full fare if they have a seat, no matter how young.

Of course the flights we took were packed full and had long standby lists, so they had no incentive to give any sort of discount.

And at the Orlando airport they don't pre-board families with young children. They said that since so many families with kids fly there they'd be pre-boarding half the plane. It would have been nice to still pre-board the families who were either installing car seats or gate checking strollers, though. There were only 2 or 3 on our flight and instead we had to be in everybody's way while we folded the stroller and installed the carseat.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
When I flew out of Orlando (northwest in 06) they did preload families with children.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I just flew through SLC, Sea-Tac and Spokane with Southwest and Delta last weekend. They pre-boarded families with children 4-0 or 5-0.

I have no idea on the cost of children's seats. We have five, so we figured even with discounts, flying with the full circus would negate Christmas/New Year's this year, so I went alone instead.

(My first time away from my kids, where I didn't bring home another kid. Felt very weird.)

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

When we flew Alaska last month (Phx and Sea-Tac), they had pre-boarding, a diaper bag/stroller/carseat didn't count towards your carryon/checked allotment, and did not offer discounted seats for infants.
scholarette
Member # 11540

Southwest in Houston and Phx boarded children in between the As and Bs. Which was very difficult because with all the As boarding and the Bs lined up, my toddler freaked out and tried to run away. I really would have appreciated not having to deal with the crowds (the way things used to be). I was also annoyed because in order to be an A, you have to print your boarding pass out from home, but if you have a lap child, you can't use the internet sign in. Well, technically you can, but you have to fill out a bunch of stuff about a month prior so a bit of a pain.
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I flew with James on Southwest in June, and I checked in online the night before to get the higher boarding priority. Then we stood in line at the airport to get the paperwork for James filled out. They printed me a new boarding pass, but kept my A boarding number.
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

That's what I've done as well, hansenj.
scholarette
Member # 11540

Thanks for that tip. I just read the online info and it didn't mention doing that. Next time I fly, I definetely will do that!
cmc
Member # 9549

At the latest Drs appt - everything is good! She's as big as she should be and still moves around a ton... Had the glucose test (the drink wasn't as horrible as i thought it was going to be) and I was an 89 - I guess you need to be below 130 so it's all good. I was pretty glad about that 'cause I def didn't want to have to be thinking TOO much about my food.

Hope everyone else is doing well, too!!! : )

imogen
Member # 5485

Yay! I have my glucose test tomorrow morning - not really looking forward to it. (It's been so long since I had to have a blood test - I've really enjoyed the break...)
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

I hope the glucose test goes (went?) well, imogen! Third trimester already! Hooray.

Yay for good results, cmc!

I have an ultrasound today and we'll hopefully find out what we've got in there.

scholarette
Member # 11540

Mrs. M- how exciting! Let us know what the little ones are!
hansenj
Member # 4034

*spoiler alert* [Wink]

Anyone who wants to know the gender of Mrs. M's babies and is her friend on facebook should check her status. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

But what about those of us who aren't on facebook??
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
*fidgets impatiently* rrrrgh, I wanna know but I'm not on Facebook!
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

I'm sorry! [Frown] I don't want to spoil her news! She updated her status on Facebook from a mobile phone. I'm sure she'll post here when she gets home.
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.