FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread (Page 7)

This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  63  64  65   
Author Topic: I'm just the right size - or, the pregnancy thread
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We chose Owen because we like the way it sounds, we like the meaning, and it's a Star Wars name but no one will notice that on first glance! James is for my husband's late father, so that one's not really negotiable; "dead father's name" for the first boy trumps "had it picked out since I was 16." Funny thing, though, a friend of Jeff's who lives in Canada had a baby boy last Spring and named him Owen James! We're still going to use it, though.

I really want Niamh for a middle name with Bridget, but Jeff is afraid he won't be able to spell/pronounce it. But I told him he has months to get used to it, and besides, it's a middle name! How often is he going to have to use it? As long as he gets it right when he blesses her, we'll be fine. [Wink] And he got used to Ciaran for a boy's name, and now he even likes it. (That's our second boy's name-- Ciaran Michael.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Owen because it's my last name.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's another reason for it to be special, then. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Jeff is stopping at TJ's to get some craving items for me because, um, I kind of haven't eaten today because nothing looked good. [Blushing]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, Boursin and Kashi TLC. That hits the spot just right.

Now I can go cook dinner.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some two year old twins named Elliot and Owen, they're so sweet, the cousin's names are Jackson, Lily, Ben, and Meg.

I love baby names so much! I've had my boy and girl names picked out for a while now, and have no intentions of having a baby for at least 4 years. Elisabeth Kathryn (Ellie) and John Edgar.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Our third (or is it fourth? I'd have to think hard to remember) girl will be Jennifer Katherine (to be called Jenny.)

Yes, I have nicknames picked out, too. Jeff doesn't like Bridey for Bridget, but it's... traditional. And I think it's sweet.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Brinestone, many congrats on your baby boy! You must be so excited!

Well, I'm now 2 days post-date and feeling pretty uncomfortable. Mostly I've been doing lots of resting and enjoying being babied by Mr. Opera. Miriya, I cannot imagine going 11 days over! I guess it's always a possibility, though. [Wink]

We've had lots and lots of calls from family wondering where Baby is (as though my EDD was his expiration date...lol) but I'm reminding myself that all of it is evidence of how much we're loved and how excited everyone is to meet our son. I actually feel *more* patient about waiting for bith than I did last week. Now that I'm over the hump of my due date it literally cannot be much longer, so I feel much more peaceful than I'd expected.

space opera

edit: breyerchic, Ellie is my daughter's nickname, which I love...it's so adorable for a little girl. Her given name is Elisa.

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Ruth! Cool to know.

Hang in there, SO. I'm so glad you are feeling peaceful about it!

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Ellie too, my mom is Ellen, so I found it appropriate but cuter.

SO, did you get my email, I sent it to the email in your profile

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Our third (or is it fourth? I'd have to think hard to remember) girl will be Jennifer Katherine (to be called Jenny.)

What if you only get boys from this point on?

[Wink]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't think that will happen; the more you have, the more likely you are to have a fairly even split. Now, statistically, the most likely out of 4 is a 3/1 split. But after that, things even out. Since we're going for 6 or 7 (or 8), it's very likely we'll have at least a few of each.

But we've got some really good boy names picked out, too. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(BTW, I think I hate dry-heaving until I bring up bile even more than just throwing up.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

If I throw up one more time this morning, I swear I am going to rip out my stomach and throw it out the window. :|
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've been playing the Monkey's Paw game a little too much...
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
That may not be a good commitment to make . . .
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, since it's no longer morning, I guess I'm safe.

But I'm seriously mad at my stomach.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I don't think that will happen; the more you have, the more likely you are to have a fairly even split. Now, statistically, the most likely out of 4 is a 3/1 split. But after that, things even out. Since we're going for 6 or 7 (or 8), it's very likely we'll have at least a few of each.

So I shouldn't mention my friend, who has 7 girls and one boy? Or my other friend, who has five boys and no girls?

You are assuming 50:50 odds. And that just isn't the case; not in general, and certainly not with any specific couple.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
We certainly have a family pattern of 3/1, so we won't be surprised to fulfill that one.

We also have a friend whose husband's family has for the last couple of generations only had boys. They didn't find out the sex before birth, but were assuming boy. Imagine their surprise when they actually had a girl. They are expecting their second and final child and are again waiting until birth to find out the sex. This pregnancy has been very different so maybe she will have a boy this time.

Our pastor and his wife had 4 boys, then 4 girls, then another boy (I don't know that they are done yet).

Another couple at church finally had a boy after 7 girls.

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
You are assuming 50:50 odds. And that just isn't the case; not in general, and certainly not with any specific couple.
Well, in Jeff's family, it's pretty evenly split. And in my family, boys run on my dad's side and girls on my mom's. But even my mom had 3 girls and one boy. So I'm assuming fairly even odds with maybe a slight skew towards girls.
imogen
Member # 5485

Any news SO?
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
None at all, imogen - but thanks for asking! [Smile] I'm now 4 days post-date.

My father-in-law called today and said, "Are we just so annoying and obnoxious that you've had the baby but didn't tell us yet?" lol

I have a dr. appointment tomorrow, so I'm pretty interested to see what she'll have to say. My guess is another non-stress test this weekend and maybe a talk about an induction date late next week - which I hope will not happen. As long as Baby is doing okay there's no reason to induce before 42 weeks.

I'm feeling pretty icky physically but really happy and peaceful emotionally. Hope all of the other big belly mommas are feeling good!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((SO))) I hope that baby decides to give you a break and come soon!
Brinestone
Member # 5755

Holy cow! I had a tummy growth spurt about three or four weeks ago, where I suddenly grew out of all my normal-size pants. I then stayed at roughly that size for a few weeks. Suddenly, this week, I seem to have grown a ton overnight. I need to go shopping NOW!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, that drives me crazy when that happens. I of course hadn't even gotten around to really packing away my maternity clothes, but looking at them and the way I seem to be bigger earlier this time around, I'm hoping I'm not going to have to shop for bigger ones this coming Spring...

I love my Liz Lange all-over stretch pants from Target, though, and my much-less dressy but ever-so comfy drawstring sweats from Motherhood Maternity. (I also got all my nursing bras from Motherhood-- although it looks like I'm going to outgrow them at least temporarily, too! [Wall Bash] ) Those were the two items of maternity clothing that fit me all the way through the last pregnancy and look like they probably will this time, too.

Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
Much patience to you Space Opera. Being over due is no fun but then... my daughter (who was 11 days late) was exactly 7 lbs at birth. She was quite tiny. I suspect the extra weight she gained in those 11 days was helpful to her. When the time is right Baby will know.

I got bigger earlier in my later pregnancies than in the first one but the end stage hugeness wasn't affected. I didn't need bigger clothes in the long run. I LIVE in my thyme overalls right now. Very comfy.

kq: I'd make sure to keep those old nursing bras around. I.. ahem... expand dramatically during pregnancy and immediate post partum. (like 6 cup sizes!) But with every pregnancy, once breastfeeding is established, I return to the same reasonable size. So I've used the same nursing bras each time with one bigger version for the first 1-2 months. You might be able to use your old ones too by then.

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

These nursing bras fit me when I was pregnant, and when I was first nursing-- and never stopped fitting me.

I didn't go back down to my original size, and now I'm expanding again! By the end of the pregnancy, I'm going to have to get larger ones, although like you said, I'm holding onto these because I'll probably go back down to this size, I think I'll get rid of the tiny ones that I'm afraid are never going to fit again from before I was married. *sigh*

rivka
Member # 4859

IME kq, while some (temporary) expansion occurs with each pregnancy, it's never as much or as permanent as with the first one.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Good, because I have backaches already. [Razz]
Miriya
Member # 7822

I found that my expansion was most dramatic with the first pregnancy. I also found that I didn't return to my pre-pregnancy size between children 1, 2 and 3. I realize now that this was mostly because I got pregnant each time while still nursing. I don't think that's uncommon. After baby 3 I DID return to my initial a cup size.

I am finding this time around (got pregnant, wasn't nursing, started at A cup) that the expansion is more significant than in pregnancies 2 and 3. I will have to wait and see if I actually reach the huge proportions of my first time. (I hope not but I hung on to my H bra just in case)

Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

A to H? Wow, ouch!

I just went from a D to a DD/E and gained a few inches.

Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I wouldn't want to get that big, but some expansion would be nice. If I expanded at all, it still wasn't necessary to go up in size. Yet, somehow, I still got stretch marks on them.
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriya
Member # 7822

Yeah. I started out as a 32A so I was looking forward to a bit of expansion but the H was a little too much. I have a clear recollection of having my first shower at home after coming home from the hospital and looking the mirror. [Eek!] I looked like an exotic dancer.

Such a huge jump in size is uncommon for sure, although I didn't gain any inches in the band (I have weight gain issues - see above). Stretch marks... [Grumble]

Brinestone
Member # 5755

Miriya, were you the one who suggested biggerbras.com?

If not, where did you find bras bigger than C cup for a 32 band?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Motherwear carries bras through size J, and in almost every band size. Maternity/nursing bras, but still...
rivka
Member # 4859

Breakout Bras carries those sizes. And I have been very happy -- for several years now -- with both their prices and their customer service.

Not to mention free shipping and the fact that every order after your first gets 10% off.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Those are expensive compared to the ones I can afford. And most of them have underwires. Blech. But I can see they do indeed have a large selection and more-decent prices than some.
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, one of the things I like is that they carry large cups sizes in non-underwires.
Miriya
Member # 7822

There is also a company called Bravado that specializes in nursing/maternity bras for slim women with very large cup sizes. They were the only maker of bras I could find to fit my when my first son was born.

It's quite difficult to find 32 bras in any cup size without special ordering. sigh.

Edit: biggerbras.com has lots of 32 stuff. I'll have to keep that URL for reference. Thanks!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

I'm terrified what would happen if I ever get pregnant, starting at a 36DD
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Actually, one of the things I like is that they carry large cups sizes in non-underwires.
The Bravado was the only one they had in my size. *shrug*
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I'm terrified what would happen if I ever get pregnant, starting at a 36DD

I feel your pain. No, literally. [Wink]
imogen
Member # 5485

Me too, breyerchic.

Am scared that is - starting at a 36DD-E, they don't need to get any bigger.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, exactly, no bigger, they're too big.
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy #1: C to D
Pregnancy #2: D to DD
Pregnancy #3: DD to G!

No, they never got smaller afterward, either.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, Boon has huge honkers. That's the first thing you notice when you meet her. [Razz]

*runs*

Boon
unregistered

*cries*
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*peeks back in and sees Boon crying*

Sweetie! I meant it as a good thing! [Kiss] I was objectifying you like I do Frisco! Please take it as a compliment!

Love you! (((hugs)))

Boon
unregistered

*was a-cryin' 'cause my back hurts*

*notices kq objectifying her*

*laughs*

I figured you had an ulterior motive for the harem house!

Sheesh! Does Jeff know about your proclivities? [Wink]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

*cries because if I have three kids I'll probably end up some letter that I try to forget exists*
  This topic comprises 65 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  63  64  65   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.