FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Is Dagonee around?

Author Topic: Is Dagonee around?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dag..

If you're around I have a question...

In regards to a charge of loitering. On what basis do they arrest for loitering. In other words, what is the difference between innocent loitering and criminal loitering.

I have been reading a bit about it online, including this page about the City of Chicago vs. Morales.

I ask because I heard some parents talking at my church, and they were really upset that apparently their two boys (around 19 years old) had been together one evening, went into a convenience store to purchase drinks, went back out to the car, and "they say" a police officer came up and arrested them for 'criminal loitering' for no reason.

Me -- I think there has to be more to the story than that. Although I also know the boys and doubt they were actually doing anything with any kind of criminal intent. But I don't know what police look for before they arrest someone for "loitering" since there seem to be no good defintion of what loitering is, or why it is wrong.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
[bump for Dag]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I can't find much on Kansas loitering law. It doesn't seem to be a crime per se at the state level, but rather a form of trespassing if a property owner posts a "no loitering" sign.

In Witchita (I'm not sure of your jurisdiction), there is/was an ordinance that made it unlawful to " "loiter, loaf, wander, stand or remain idle either alone and/or in consort with others in a public place in such manner as to:

"(1) Obstruct any public street, public highway, public sidewalk or any other public place or building by hindering or impeding or tending to hinder or impede the free and uninterrupted passage of vehicles, traffic or pedestrians;

"(2) Commit in or upon any public street, public highway, public sidewalk or any other public place or building any act or thing which is an obstruction or interference to the free and uninterrupted use of property or with any business lawfully conducted by anyone in or upon or facing or fronting on any such public street, public highway, public sidewalk or any other public place or building, all of which prevents the free and uninterrupted ingress, egress, and regress therein, thereon and thereto."

But this could be wildly different for different locations, including individual towns within counties.

So, in short, I can't provide any info.

As to Morales, it's very hard to use as a precedent for anything. It was a very results-oriented decision. The two primary objections wouldn't seem to exist with the Witchita ordinance, for example, because of the additional elements of impeding, etc. (As an aside, if you ever want to see some interesting thoughts on police protection and crime prevention as a civil right, check out Thomas's dissent in Morales.)

Dagonee
P.S., even though I haven't actually told you anything, I have to give a disclaimer: none of this is advice or in anyway substitutes for advice from a licensed attorney.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
*groans at how Dag spelled Wichita*

Well, I wasn't really trying to use the Morales case as a precedent -- I was just trying to use it to understand what they consider "loitering" to be.

and there seems to be no good definition.

I wish the city put their own laws on their city website -- but I think they pretty much adopt a state universal code.

I think these guys are going to need video from the convenience store, if they really want to prove they weren't loitering. And if they were paying customers (they said they threw away the receipt), then it would show.

Not that the damage hasn't already been done -- their car was taken to impound and they had to spend $150 to get it out -- so even if they are cleared of all charges at court date, that won't get them the $150 back.

I guess I just won't get involved. I was just curious.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Not true...if they are found not guilty they can get the police to reinburse them for the illegal tow. I had it happen here in MA, although I had a good lawyer...and the charge wasn't loitering. [Big Grin] It was a case of mistaken identity, almost 14 years ago. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In Witchita
Where there is a huge Wiccan community
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, Yireshaloyim...
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, spelling aside [Smile] , they need to have a lawyer. If they do, and if they're telling the truth, they should be able to take care of this easily. If they mouthed off, or stayed around a long time and refused to leave when asked, they may have trouble.

It could be a case of mistaken identity on the part of the cops, too. They saw two kids, told them to leave, left, came back 15 minutes later and saw two similar looking kids and busted them. If so, the police reports should reflect this, and then they can try to make their case.

I kind of agree that something more is happening here, though.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.