FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Jim-Me (or any other Chesterton Fan)

Author Topic: Hey Jim-Me (or any other Chesterton Fan)
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have an appalling hole in my literary experience. The only Chesterton I've ever read is The Man who was Thursday and assorted excerpts from his non-fiction writings. What's a good place to start? I'd like to check out both fiction and non-fiction. Is there a good anthology that would let me sample?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading The Complete Father Brown Mysteries.

I'm going to start alternating with something else though, because the stories are a little monotonous one right after the other.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with G. K. Chesterton's short biography of Aguinas, and moved on to read Orthodoxy and The Everlasting Man. If you don't like theology (and there are such folks, but Chesterton is so stimulating you might change your mind), you should try The Man Who Was Thursday.

I love his wit, his passion, and his keen ability to cut through established pieties. Enjoy!

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm very interested in both the fiction and his theological writing.

I'll look up the Fr. Brown mysteries for fiction, and start with Aquinas (always a good place to start with theology, anyway. [Smile] )

But I'll start this after Harry Potter and Magic Street.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag,

Definitely start with a Fr. Brown anthology of sorts for fiction...

For non fiction, I'd start with Orthodoxy. It's a very fast read and has some of his most amazing prose ever. Then St. Thomas Aquinas:The Dumb Ox and then, when you have a little time, The Everlasting Man because it's longer and more scholarly, but also because there are moments where you'll just want to put down the book and think about what he just said.

Heretics is fun because one of the first things he does (in Ch. 3, IIRC) is accuse Kipling of not being properly patriotic, which I thought was a hoot. He similarly hoists Shaw, Wells, and a host of other of his contemporaries on their own petards with his usual alacrity and wit.

But Thursday, Orthodoxy, Aquinas, and The Everlasting Man are the must reads.

Sorry I saw this so late.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Oh... for collections, you might check with the American Chesterton Society, which, I am pretty sure, catalogs and sells a multivolume collected works.

Also, The Napoleon of Notting Hill inspired the real life Michael Collins, but I have not yet read it myself, so I can't speak to how good it is.

[ July 14, 2005, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Jim-Me ]

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

*bump* to make sure Dag got to see my input because I *know* he will be lost without it... [Smile]
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I saw it. And I'll be using it, too. (Edit: Oh, yeah, thanks!)

I'll post when I finish the first one and share my thoughts.

quote:
Also, The Napoleon of Notting Hill inspired the real life Michael Collins, but I have not yet read it myself, so I can't speak to how good it is.
I'll recommend this to my Dad - he's a big Michael Collins buff.

[ July 13, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Chesterton must be getting hot. This is the second place I've heard about him.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Chesterton is the man...

Check out some quotes

Including my favorite and most appropriate to hatrack:
quote:
Reason is always a kind of brute force; those who appeal to the head rather than the heart, however pallid and polite, are necessarily men of violence. We speak of 'touching' a man's heart, but we can do nothing to his head but hit it.

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like Thursday; it didn't grip me at all. I liked his essays. I often thought they were completely wrong, but they were funny, and they put a new perspective on everything.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Thursday is actually my favorite... how odd that people would have different tastes! [Wink]

It's a very Romantic (in the sense of adventurous and, perhaps, naively imaginative) book and between the changes in meaning, police organizations, and technology since then, it probably lacks a good bit on the surface to a modern reader (for whom the word "Anarchist" conjures up images of Rage Against the Machine)... still, I was captive by the end of the first few pages and I imagine anyone would either be totally rapt or totally bored by the end of the first chapter.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I got Orthodoxy, The Complete Father Brown Mysteries, and The Everlasting Man from my sister for Christmas. I've started with Orthodoxy, and I'm loving it.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee, I have a "complete Chesterton" paperback with many essays by him. I'm trying to winnow down my stuff so I don't have to pack as much when I move -- email me your address, and it's yours.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother asked me if I wanted Thursday Sunday, and I eagerly took it, because I've never read any Chesterton, and because Martin Gardner recommended it in a philosophy book.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.