FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY (Page 2)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: HOCKEY HOCKEY HOCKEY
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care about Hockey, I just wanted to bump this to two pages. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we finally have some power in Hatcher. He played for one partial season, yeah that six games, and then last season there was no season.

I believe this upcoming season will be his first full season with the Wings.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! And did everyone see the new changes?

Ewww... I'm not likin this salary cap buisness without a luxury tax being allowed. $39 mil max per team? For the hardest working sports players in the US? That's like half of what the salary for the Wings was in the '03-'04 season.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would LOVE Y's jersey, he was playing back wehn I was a fan, in the laste 80's, when they couldn't get out of the semi-finals or QF of the Stanley Cup....lol...

I am old school. I even saw Gordie Howe play, although it was a celebrity game, not a Red Winds game. It WAS at JLA, if that counts. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, I hope you feel shame. Loads and loads of shame. The Pens, barring any sensationally stupid moves, are now going to pick up Crosby. Malkin, Fleury, Crosby, and Malone. Hahahaaaaaaa, I love hockey (not a pens fan btw, Avs all the way)
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I don't think it will really hurt the Wings that bad.

I approve of parring down the goalie pads. They are there to protect the goalie, not to help him block shots.

I'll have to see how shoot outs work before I really approve of those.

But as for the Wings roster, I thought I read that every NHL player will have their salary reduced by something like 40%. That right there will dramatically bring down the salary for the Wings. Losing Hull also removes a few million yearly. They will just have to be careful when the resign players and try to pick up new ones, especially with a rather large field of extremeley talented free agents out there.

I do hope this will spread out some of the talent in the NHL though. Part of the reason the sport is so dead is that only 10 out of 40 teams are really competitive, the rest just serve to be foils for the rest.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Xavier, I hope you feel shame. Loads and loads of shame. The Pens, barring any sensationally stupid moves, are now going to pick up Crosby. Malkin, Fleury, Crosby, and Malone. Hahahaaaaaaa, I love hockey (not a pens fan btw, Avs all the way)
I admit that I had (and still have) no idea why the salary cap (or another aspect of the deal) would be able to make the Penguins a better team. They were paying bottom of the barrel prices for bottom of the barrel players when I lost interest. Is pittsburg now not in danger of losing the team for good, and can loosen the purse strings a bit?

Anyway, I think I will follow this season pretty closely, at least at first. Perhaps I'll start reading some news stories to see how the league is changing this year. Then perhaps I will be informed enough to know what team to follow.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

I approve of parring down the goalie pads. They are there to protect the goalie, not to help him block shots.

I totally agree with that.

I'll have to see how shoot outs work before I really approve of those.

Im glad they're doing the way they are, with the 5 min 4 on 4, and then the shootout (thats what I had been hoping for). Because overtimes are still interesting, with an even cooler ending if no one scores (I like shootouts).

Yeah, all contracts are automaticly being reduced by 24%.

I do hope this will spread out some of the talent in the NHL though. Part of the reason the sport is so dead is that only 10 out of 40 teams are really competitive, the rest just serve to be foils for the rest.

Eh. I don't know. It will definatly spread the talent out. I'll have to wait and see how much more or less interesting the games will become. It's just weird to think about 1 or 2 or 3 good players a team. Like Shannahan, Selanne, and Madano as good players on one team, vs Kariya, Pronger, and Jagr on another. Also, theres only 32 teams [Smile] .

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Thank you for the corrections =)

My only trivial complaint about the shootout is that it will really mess up stats, and how will they do the point system?

Do they add an extra stat on for SOGs? Shoot Out Goals? SOS? Shoot Out Saves for goalies? I like that the winner of a shoot out will get 2 points and the loser 1, though, it does suck that an entire point comes down to the offensive strength of 3 shooters and one goalie.

akhockey
Member # 8394

There are 30 teams, last I checked. And Xavier, you're right that the new rules and CBA don't give the Pens an advantage at all. They just won the draft lottery to get the first pick, which means Sidney Crosby, which means Gretzky's Second Coming. It very well could be similar to Mario's resurrection of the franchise in the 80s.
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
There are 30 teams, last I checked. And Xavier, you're right that the new rules and CBA don't give the Pens an advantage at all. They just won the draft lottery to get the first pick, which means Sidney Crosby, which means Gretzky's Second Coming. It very well could be similar to Mario's resurrection of the franchise in the 80s
But can they actually afford to pay him? I think they had the lowest payroll in the NHL at 10 million last I heard. They traded Jagr and Kovalev away for inferior players, just to get rid of some expenses. It would be great to be interested in the Penguins again though [Smile] .
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is, can they afford not to pay him? If they let this oppoortunity go, I can't see that franchise surviving.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by akhockey:
There are 30 teams, last I checked.

Hmm right you are, for some reason I thought with the additional expansion teams this decade, it pushed the total team number to 32.
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Thank you for the corrections =)

My only trivial complaint about the shootout is that it will really mess up stats, and how will they do the point system?

Do they add an extra stat on for SOGs? Shoot Out Goals? SOS? Shoot Out Saves for goalies? I like that the winner of a shoot out will get 2 points and the loser 1, though, it does suck that an entire point comes down to the offensive strength of 3 shooters and one goalie.

Grrr I read what they are doing about this somewhere, and now I can't find it [Frown] . If I happen to find it I'll post it here.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I saw on Detroit Fox Network today that the Wings might lose Hatcher, McCarty and Whitney, because of the salary cap.

I hope they can find a way to keep them. If not, it really sucks that there isn't a luxury tax that can be paid if you go over the cap.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
If they land between Park Place and Boardwalk they can pay it for the reasonable price of $75.
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akhockey
Member # 8394

Have no fear Xavier. Next year might not be the Pens best, but if you stick with them you should be happy for years to come.
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by Exploding Monkey:
If they land between Park Place and Boardwalk they can pay it for the reasonable price of $75.

Hehehe, I wish
Sean
Member # 689

- posted      Profile for Sean   Email Sean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But can they actually afford to pay him?
TSN
quote:
How much can Entry Level players make?

Entry Level players will be subject to a maximum annual salary (plus signing and games played bonuses) of $850,000 for 2005 and 2006 draftees; $875,000 for 2007 and 2008 draftees; $900,000 for 2009 and 2010; and $925,000 for 2011 draftees.

The maximum combined signing bonus will be limited to 10% of the player's maximum annual compensation in any year.

Entry Level players may negotiate for performance bonuses up to a maximum of $850,000 in individual "Schedule A" bonuses per year (maximum of $212,500 per bonus). A player may also be eligible to earn individual "B" bonuses for League-wide excellence, which will, as a general matter, be paid by the League. In addition, a player will be eligible to negotiate with his club "excess" individual "B" bonuses, subject to a maximum aggregate of $2 million in any year.

How long will a player be in the Entry Level system?

Players who sign their first contract at age 18-21 are required to sign three-year Entry Level contracts; players age 22-23 will be required to sign two-year deals; and players age 24 will be required to sign a one-year Entry Level contract.

So they get a bargain for three years. Hopefully that'll be enough of a cornerstone for them to be able to lay out some money on other players.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope the Penguins become a legitimate contender again. I hate to see teams fail for long periods of time. I think they can do it.
I didn't realise that entry level players could only be paid such a small amount of money. Thanks for the quote Sean.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

That surprises me too, even compared to the relatively small salaries of other NHL players, that's a bargain.
Hamson
Member # 7808

quote:
Originally posted by ProverbialSunrise:
I hope the Penguins become a legitimate contender again. I hate to see teams fail for long periods of time.

I hope so too. A lot of my family lives in the Pittsburgh area, and we've all been fans of the franchise since as long as I can remember. Mario is quite a guy. I was sorta disappointed about that French-Canadian goalie they drafted that was suppose to be amazing, but then got sent to the minors because he sucked. If he was talented, and then they got Crosby, along with the whole team being led under Lemieux for 2 years or so, Pittsburgh would be quite the contender.
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Flames!

[Big Grin]

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

quote:
I was sorta disappointed about that French-Canadian goalie they drafted that was suppose to be amazing, but then got sent to the minors because he sucked.
He kept them in lots of games until getting shelled every night because the Penguins were terrible took its toll. He'll be amazing again if they ever field an actual team in front of him.

(I still feel the need to stick up for goalies. Used to be one myself.)

Posts: 148 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Fleury sucked? Fleury was *great* considering the Pens had no D to speak of. One of their defenders was an impressive -48 on the season. The reason he got sent to the minors had nothing to do with him sucking (far from it) it had to do with 2 things. The minor reason being that they felt he could learn more in the minors on a competetive team than he could being shillaced nightly for the Pens. And, most importantly, he had an option for a millionish dollars if he played more than 20 games. After his 20th game he got sent to the minors.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

Oh right, I'd forgotten about the 20+ games bonus.

They're in great position for the cap, considering their big names (Malkin, Crosby, Lemieux and Fleury) are all pretty cheap. It sounds like that's going to give them room to sign a top winger... add that onto all the promising young players they have (who've had lots of playing time since they started ditching all their veterans) and their going to be a *fun* team to watch.

I'm going to look into getting tickets, but I suspect half of Toronto is having similar thoughts. It might be easier to travel to Pittsburgh.

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sean, if the Pens play in Buffalo that might be an easier trip to make. [Wink]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sean
Member # 689

That's worth a look. Although, unfortunately, I believe all the games in Buffalo involve the Sabres in some way. [Taunt]

Edit: In retrospect, someone from Winnipeg (undefeated since 1996!) really shouldn't make fun of other city's teams.

TheTick
Member # 2883

Heh. They are also going to be amongst the least expensive this year. [Wink]

Of course, the Sabres might lose both Satan and Zhitnik...hopefully they can get some talent being culled from other teams.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Dammit! Foiled again! Your all right. I making some pretty rash comments, and I keep forgeting things. Hopefully this will all blow over once the season starts and my mind is refreshed.

And if anyone could hit me up with a link to the season scheduales for the Penguins or the Wings, that would be great. Thanks.

Sean
Member # 689

It looks like the schedules haven't been made yet. I can't even find the date it's going to be released - Ticketmaster is still listing the onsale dates for the 2003 season. I guess they're still scrambling to get stuff sorted out.
TheTick
Member # 2883

I'm sure they waited on the schedules to make sure that no teams were lost or the schedule shortened.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

The Wings officially bought out McCarty, Whitney and Hatcher today.

Legace and others are still possible names to be on the chopping block.

The NHL sucks now. =(

Xavier
Member # 405

Oh come on now. A Red Wings Stanley Cup will mean so much more, now that nobody can claim they bought it.

Personally, that is what I think of, when I think of the Red Wings. I pretty much consider them the Yankees of hockey. I won't be able to after this. I won't be able to say it about the Avalanche either.

I'm starting to think that the Salary Cap was the best thing to happen to hockey in a long time [Smile] .

[ July 25, 2005, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Xavier ]

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you, Xav. And, really, it's not like the Wings lost anyone important there.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

McCarty is sentimental to Detroit, although I'm not a fan of his hockey skills, I appreciate him as a good person. And I would've liked to see Hatcher play... like at all.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Easily half of the talent on the Wings the last few years has been in its younger and lesser paid players, so I don't buy the "they bought a Cup" theory. At the very least, not for the 2002 victory.

And I don't care as much about Hatcher or Whitney, they were newer Wings. But I will miss McCarty. He was Detroit through and through.

The thing I don't like about this, is that crappy teams are going to pick up good players for a song, while many of the better and more financially able teams are either stuck with higher contracts, or they must pay a great deal of money to buy them out and go elsewhere. I don't mind the sport equaling out, but this is a huge blow to the bigger teams over the last couple years.

And anyone who thinks the Wings haven't earned what they have, must not have been to Detroit very recently during a Hockey season. The fans here are rabid, and they power the team, and have powered it, through the good times and the bad times. Unlike other cities whose fans wilt and leave them during a bad season. The core of the Wings team has been together for a very, very long time. Now they will have to learn to play with whoever they get.

But if it's that, or no hockey, I'll gladly take it the way it is. The Wings will still rule this year.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
The fans here are rabid, and they power the team, and have powered it, through the good times and the bad times. Unlike other cities whose fans wilt and leave them during a bad season.

I'm really not trying to start an argument here, but doesn't every team's fans say that?

Personally, I'm glad to see the cap - though I don't think it will change the NHL a whole lot (which isn't a bad thing).

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Depends on the sport, and the city. Detroit is HOCKEYTOWN.

The commissioner of the NHL said it himself in 2002.

Look at every bad team in the NHL right now though, and look at the cities with hockey teams during the lockout. How many cities were saying "wait, there's no hockey this year? who cares?" because they didn't really care about it or know about it to begin with. Certainly there are other teams who can say the same thing. I'm guessing most Canadian teams, certainly the Avs fans. But not every team.

And it already IS changing the NHL. We just won't know how much until the season is underway.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

Well, my point was that it doesn't depend on the city. Most fans will talk about how great their city was to the team during the good and the bad.

I really have nothing against Detroit - I've loved watching them play. Scotty Bowman was one of my favourite coaches. I usually take what Gary Bettman says with a grain of salt - not that I don't think Detroit is a great hockey city, though.

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Hey, Lyr, if you need me I'll be out back. Clearly there's no more space on the cross [Wink]
Chungwa
Member # 6421

Did my posts really come off as that... mean?

I simply meant that I've heard, literally, fans from every team say their fans were the most loyal. Heck, I've said it dozens of times myself.

What I guess I was getting at is that, while I'm sure Detroit is a great hockey city, I can also understand someone looking at a team's roster and player salary details and end up being a little bitter - unless you're looking at the Rangers, of course.

Anyways, I don't think my posts really warranted that comment - I wasn't trying to nail Lyrhawn to anything. Though I do appologize if I came across that way.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I too apologize for being far more defensive than I should have been.

It's just...it's Hockey!! I have a hard time keeping my emotions in check when it comes to this sport that I love so much [Smile] .

Get me in a thread talking about football or baseball and I'll crumble and run away.

Chungwa
Member # 6421

I know what you mean.

I've been living in Springfield, IL for the past three years. Almost nobody even knew that last season had been cancelled.

My mum mailed me one of those team flags you put on your car windows.

People kept asking me what the flaming 'C' meant.

Hamson
Member # 7808

Wow. I just have to say, I think im gonna like this whole awesome players spread out thing. Kariya in Nashville? Khabibulin in Chicago? Philly with Forsburg and a ton of other amazing players? We'll have to see how things go this season. Looks like the Stanley Cup is going to be up for grabs, with nearly all 30 teams pressing lines with a few star players, it's gonna be crazy for the first time in a very long while.

And Osgood. Everyone here (in Detroit area) is 99% sure he's coming back to the Wings. And everyone thought I should've taken down my Osgood poster I got back in 98' when he was traded to the blues a couple years ago.

akhockey
Member # 8394

I'm so distraught about all these moves. Colorado is now like....going to be hurting to make the top 4, if not the playoffs this year. The team's are getting so much more even, it's insane. Should make for great games though. Colombus is going to be even more exciting to watch, Nashville (is Sulli still there?) should get a slight boost. I wonder how some of the quieter teams will fare (Buffalo, Phoenix, San Jose, St. Louis, Rangers....)?
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Certainly the teams that haven't made a lot of changes should have the early boost, what with all the experience playing together. So I expect teams like Ottawa to come out of the gate blazing. After the first month or so, it'll be anyone's game. Hopefully some of these smaller market teams that have been able to draw some bigger names will have people be curious and come out, only to get hooked on the game.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm really not trying to start an argument here, but doesn't every team's fans say that?
Neither am I, but to add to Lyr's comment....the Red Wings have been the largest franchise in the NHL for a while. They were as such even back in the 80's when they stunk. Albeit, Lyr's comment seemed to drift wrong when he ended it. I wouldn't use the word wilt, but would more or less say that Detroit has a much stronger fan base. Every hockey fan loves their hockey and their team. However, Detroit just has more of them.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

quote:
Originally posted by Stan the man:
Neither am I, but to add to Lyr's comment....the Red Wings have been the largest franchise in the NHL for a while. They were as such even back in the 80's when they stunk. Albeit, Lyr's comment seemed to drift wrong when he ended it. I wouldn't use the word wilt, but would more or less say that Detroit has a much stronger fan base. Every hockey fan loves their hockey and their team. However, Detroit just has more of them.

Yes, Detroit does have a lot of fans.

But I just don't think it's worthwile to have a discussion about who the best fans are. I know that it's common in sports communities to have this discussion - but it's always seemed annoying and pointless to me. The notion that more people liking a particular teams means that I am not just as good a fan to my team is silly - which is underneath every conversation about 'best fans'.

I really shouldn't have typed anything to begin with.

But, we ought to have more fun talk about hockey.

I'm looking forward to the shootouts. My dad thinks shootouts are a terrible idea, though. The tag-up offsides rule also sounds interesting - gives the offense a little boost (which, I think, is needed right now).

Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

Well, the tag-up offsides are nothing new, it was like that until a few years ago. Amusingly, the rule was changed to its current form in order to increase scoring. How increasing the number of whistles increases scoring is not something that many people have been able to figure out.

Shootouts are great. They're only in the regular season and they finally do away with this tie nonsense that everybody hates. Finally someone is going to get bragging rights every game! Huzzah!

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.