FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 300 Posts Back (A Conversation) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 300 Posts Back (A Conversation)
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I meant "parenting" rather than "parentage." But it makes you think more that way, so I won't correct it.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Good Morning Hatrack!!!

For those that remember me: yes, I'm still alive, I just had to go away while my country needed me.

I remember a website that was posted here about a person that had made all sorts of contraptions out of simple engineering concepts. I remember one of the devices he cooked up was a vacuum that sucked up wasps while they came in to land in their nest. Most of the things he built were made out of wood. If you remember what the site was, please post it again so I can sleep tonight.

[OOC: I never did find that site.]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd been putting it off because once I watched the last one it was over.

Now I've done it and there are no more Wonderfalls.

Oh sure, I could pull down the DVDs and watch all 13 episodes again. Fall in love with Jaye and Eric being in love all over again. Grow to like Sharon. Empathize with Aaron's ungodly desire for meaning... I could do it all again, but I know it leads no where because the people at FOX gave it the Friday Night Death slot and killed it before anyone could ever figure out what a wonderful show it was.

I could compare it to Firefly (heck, the show even had Jewel Staite/Kaylee in it) but that would just get me mad about two shows.

I suppose I should just be thankful I have 13 episodes. At 45 minutes each that means it's like having 6 movies. How many franchises go 6 movies without turning to dreck?

Oh well... ~~Weeeee're boppin' along in a barrel...~~

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Abby, that is so exciting!! When do you leave?!

[ooc: Annie, you posted all through that thread and I think it's hilarious that now we're all excited about you going to Japan this fall. [Smile] ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it will either be really good or really stupid. I want to see it.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I never entertained a thought of my parents getting back together (separated when I was 3). It would be the worst thing that could happen to my family that hasn't already.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Or is it only me?
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<Coup hors des bougies>
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know what an "e-wedding" is?
Somebody just invited me to one and I have no clue what it is.

Somebody please tell me.

He said was it is just for fun...

Is it a pretend reception?

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Front Page.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're not a member, it's appropriate not to take the sacrament, but to just politely pass it on (or if you're the only one in your pew, just shake your head.)

Most hymns are sung sitting down. Some wards stand for a "rest" hymn between speakers, some sit for the rest hymn, some skip the rest hymn in favor of a musical number by the choir or an individual or small group. Just follow along. We do not clap after a performance in Sacrament meeting.

Prayers are said by one person, but everyone says "Amen", so prepare to hear "Amen" a lot. Also, we say "Amen" after people close their talks, since talks are ended in the name of Jesus Christ. Don't be surprised to see people, especially children, fold their arms across their chests during prayers instead of folding their hands, since that is often how Primary children are taught to sit reverently.

I'm sure you've heard of the Book of Mormon, but for your information, the Pearl of Great Price and Doctrine and Covenants are also scriptures we use. If you hear someone refer to the "D&C", they mean Doctrine and Covenants, not a gynecological procedure. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to see a the spinning one. I think that it would be very entertaining.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Not on the scale of Robert Novack's outing of a CIA operative actually under cover.

Still, seems a little careless.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, I am always so proud and awed to see a young man so thrilled to go on a mission. I'm probably going to miss you, even though I don't usually miss people who leave message boards I frequent, but I'll do my best to still be here when you get back. I will make an effort to write you, though I'm not the best about that kind of thing. E-mail is much better for me because things actually stay in my inbox until they're replied to, as opposed to being carried all over the apartment by little hands or shredded by a cat. Also, my life is going to be a bit hectic for the next few months, maybe more. But even if I don't write you much, know that I care about you, and that if there's anything you need and can't get (along the lines of spices or something), write me and ask, and I'll do my best to get it to you. (((hugs))) (You haven't been set apart yet, have you? Oops. Well, I think virtual hugs are okay, even if you have.) I'll be thinking of you and wishing you luck, and I'll pray for you now and then. [Smile] It's been an honor getting to know you. You're a good man.

Annie is very lucky. [Wink]

sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Ben.

The appearance of egg nog in the stores coincides with the end of the apple season - definitely helps me over the slump. [Smile]

*when a door closes, a window opens* [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hobbes, if I wasn't already in love with my wonderful husband, I might have a teeny bit of a crush on you. [Kiss]

[I seem to have been very into Hobbes just then...]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I be a dork and admit that I don't know how to find my 300 back post? (Even though I'm close enough to being able to identify it because it was part 1 of my landmark.... yikes, 300 posts in just over a month!!!)
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
My precocious child levelled out when he became the middle child. As far as I know. :shrug:

Seriously, though, I learned this week that he can read a couple of words. I mean, I knew he could read "OK" and "Exit" for about a year, but they are everywhere on the computer so I figured it was kind of like knowing a star is a star. I thought he might have learned his sister's names from their logins on the computer. But I have no idea how he learned to read "mom" (it was written on the side of a laundry bag). Maybe my brother has been teaching him on the sly when I'm at work.

And this after bemoaning that I haven't really cultivated him much. His sister had reading lessons and piano lessons at his age, but she was a laaaate talker so I was concerned that she be ready for kindergarten. Also, the early talker didn't potty train until well after 4. Just sayin'. Hope that doesn't happen to you.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can! [Razz]

Oh, and just start a search only filling up your member number and it will show you your last 300 posts. Just click on the last page of the search results and copy and paste the last post.

quote:

posted April 19, 2005 01:12PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I'm reading Dan Simmon's "Illium" right now, I find this utterly cool! [Cool]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
GS- you go to search and type your member number into the appropriate field and then hit search without changing any other variables. Then choose page 15 and go to the last one. If it's not clever, post a few times and find a different one. Or you can just pretend. I forgot to put the date on mine. It was from , like, may.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Olivia, you're not the only one.

I was driving home from work and this car in the left lane kept speeding up and slowing down to match my speed. After ignoring the car for so long, I looked over. A man, of course, waved and grinned. I half-ass smiled back because I've got the curse of manners in strange situations. He honked. Against my better judgment I looked over at his car again, mainly because his pace matching was beginning to freak me out. With his left hand on the wheel, he pointed down towards his prize possession then went to town, so to speak. I was shocked. I missed the perfect opportunity to put a ridiculously proud man in his place. I turned away and put the petal to the metal. I smoked him. My heart was thumping.

If only I'd had the nerve to point, make a teeny weenie sign with my fingers and dramatically laugh.

Not that I'd want a do over in that situation.

Scary!

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I knew it would be something easy...

quote:
lime coke... yummy!!! especially with a bit of Cap'n Morgan!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

Transformers, but is this one a good guys (can't remember what they were called) or one of the desepticons(sp?)
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I whole-heartedly agree. I see no reason that I can't be publicly breast-fed! Just because I'm 28 years old, I'm always getting hassled! I don't arrest you for eating a burger at McDonalds, and I demand equality!
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
You are gonna look so dang uncool, ElJay.
Ridin' around on a Hawg while I cruise past ya on my Velociraptor.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted May 25, 2005 11:07 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
The couple started beating the crap out of each other. It was rather disturbing.

Whoa. I just had an actual ROFL moment.

--j_k

here
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I think because a time frame (for years) is assigned to it, it's easier to assume that Quirrell has had the job for years instead of Snape wanting the job for years. I agree with everyone that it's not very good English.

(ooc: pixie, I LOVE wonderfalls!!! I want them to make another season so much!)

[ August 20, 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: kojabu ]

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
(OOC: wish I had 300 post so I could join the fun.)

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what they're called, either. And last time I tried looking for them, I had a devil of a time finding them. In the end I bought some that were made for an ironing board. They're not exactly the right size, but they do the trick.

[edit] Oh, and I bought them at Target.

Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I kissed my first girlfriend on the hand at the end of our second date. She rather seemed to like it (at least, we went out for over a year after that).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
He's all bent up and the photo cut off part of his tail.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
*hasn't posted 300 times yet*
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
*is curious as to how Jim-me got invited to a thread for "Hatrack Ladies"*

*sneaks away quietly*

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
[OOC - It's odd. Mine only shows 219 posts when I search for my username (and yet I have over 600 posts here). Maybe some of the posts got deleted though, and that screwed it up. Heck if I know. I'm just going to post the last one the search gave me.]

I feel sort of jealous, Boris. I wish I had a girl to cuddle with, in any stance/form. Actually I wish I had some prospects. Oh well. That's life. Good to hear someone is having some success.

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Jaime, watch it. I'm serious. Or should I say:

Hi. My name is Cecily and I'm a freakish nutcase of a Firefly fan.

"Hi Cecily."

[Big Grin] Hatrack converted me. Let it convert you too.

Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
If you think THAT is bad, by the time I take it for my junior or senior year in high school, we will have to write ESSAYS for the SATs. So not cool, as I hate writing essays. *twitches*

[OOC: Interesting how this is actually relevant to a front page thread.]

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, that's brilliant Chris. We're not quite up to D&D; we're breaking ours in with Magic

My own dice story: (from my blog)
quote:
Yesterday Olivia was telling me she needed a twenty sided for the Star Wars game book she's reading. Now, she claims fairies aren't geeks, but I say any 6 year old who knows to ask for a twenty sided is a geek.

Then, while we were at a yard sale today a lady offered us a D&D shirt for half of what she was asking, becuase she could tell we were gamers. How? Do we really look that geeky?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, in CA, this has been the law for years.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
PSATS. Rather vital for my future. So naturally:

Q: Write out the numbers 1-25 on slips of paper and put them in a bag. What is the probability that you draw a prime number.

So I look at this question, thinking it must be a trick. Basically what you have to know is what a prime is and how to count. But I am nervous because I am sure there is a catch. Those test-writers are not known for kindness. So I very carefully write out all the prime numbers from 1-25 as follows:

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 23.

I am careful to not include 1 and 9 and 15 and 21. That might be the trick they wish to snare me with!!!

I never considered that it was to make me forget something rather neccesary, in fact rather the "prime" requirement in answering the question: 19

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
How's Ogame going?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

quote:
Chocolate is made from beans and beans are veggies... therefore chocolate is a perfectly acceptable side dish!

Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Me x 2 shirts, size: largest you can get.

Have to have one to wear while the other's in the wash, now don't I?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a total sucker for hazelnuts - especially if they're covered with chocolate. Mmmmm! [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Just read the whole archive. I found this one the funniest, because every Elder I've been around has been oh so easily amused. They laugh at anything and everything.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Amanecer and Tom on this one. What do I care what the town's named? I could see it mattering if you were in a small town with a long tradition behind the name, or a big city that people around the country know the name of. I'm in a suburb of Minneapolis. To someone out of state, I live in Minneapolis. To someone in the city, I live on the west side, or "by 394." Change the official name of my city to Dish, it makes no real difference.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
[OOC: I can only see my 50 most recent posts. How do you get back to 300?]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[There's a discussion of it further up the page. Go all the way to page 15 and find the earliest one.]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*snickers*
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
[You mean page 15 on this page? Cause I don't see it. Or am I looking at the wrong page?]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.