FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » age and religion, please (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: age and religion, please
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, only we can make those jokes about us!

I'm sort of kidding, but would you spout calumnies about Jews with equal levity? O_o

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, now I'll have to convert!
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

But, yes, I would.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslaine
Member # 5433

- posted      Profile for eslaine           Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOO!

[edit]Darn your lightning fast connection![/edit]

Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Well, let me qualify that. Only if they were as ridiculous as the non-christian/baby-eating thing.
Heffaji
Member # 3669

- posted      Profile for Heffaji   Email Heffaji         Edit/Delete Post 
21/Atheist Jew
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
Yeah, I do. But the question was what percentage of hatrack do young mormons make up, and I didn't have room on the chart to write "Catholic, methodist, taoist, SDA, Jehovah's witness, Jewish, non denominational christian, congregationalist, mennonite, baptist, church of final atonement, and jedi".

A bigger complaint, especially from you, Rivka, is that I group the Jewish people under Christian (which, of course, you're most emphatically not).

No, it was "Christian/Other." (I did roll my eyes, I confess. [Wink] ) How about "Other Christians/Other Religious"? Or simply "Other Religious"?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Or simplify things even further and have two categories:

-Mormons
-Gentiles

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Mormons and non-members?
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Verily the Younger:
Or simplify things even further and have two categories:

-Mormons
-Gentiles

Considering that Mormons and Jews have two different, mutually exclusive, definitions of gentiles . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't Mormons gentiles? I mean, y'all aren't Jewish. Ya dine on swine, but it's nope to Coke and smoke. (Yes, yes, I know. Just making a point.)
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but if we're just trying to determine who is a Mormon and who isn't, then it's the Mormon definition that is immediately relatable to the search. Right?
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
20/LDS.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
36/Atheist. Former United Methodist.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

It would be, if anyone but Mormons (and those closely associated with them) thought that gentile meant non-Mormon. In our culture, when you say gentile, you mean non-jew.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Yes, but in a search for Mormons, then the use of the word "Gentile" implies non-Mormons. No one who understands that the word has a usage in Mormon terminology would be confused by what was meant. "Why do they only have slots for Mormons and non-Jews?" It's the explicit use of "Mormon" in the search itself that lends the context that would lead us to infer that by "Gentile" is meant, in this case, "non-Mormon". Right?

. . .

Right?

Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Give up.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

*gives up*
eslaine
Member # 5433

Quitter.
Posts: 2506 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Nope, but it's cute when you Mormons are unintentionally disrespectful.
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

"You Mormons"?

Apparently I've been baptized without my knowledge. This will be an interesting experience. I've never been a Christian before. . . .

eslaine
Member # 5433

Pagan.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
25/LDS

Yeah, I'm slow. Go away.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

Those are the choices now? One is either Christian or Pagan? I know a Jew or two who might take exception to that.
eslaine
Member # 5433

Slug. (Ah, forget it, I'm going to bed.)
rivka
Member # 4859

*thwaps eslaine*
eslaine
Member # 5433

Ouch!
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
My, I do feel young.

15/ (I like it too) Nothing you could put a name to.

I'm trying to come up with a witty comeback on the 15 being in diapers.

All I've gotten is that while you might say I am now, you guys might be soon. ^_^ (Meant to be in good fun.)

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm disappointed to find that I'm the only non-onanist. They promised me when I joined that there would always be somebody there for me...
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by eslaine:
Ouch!

I was just following directions!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard a Jewish person called a "Gentile" by a Mormon once. [ROFL]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I did the opposite, many many years ago. And was very confused by the denial.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought it was hilarious, because they had absolutely no idea what they were saying. (BTW, Mormons distinguish between "Jews" and "Gentiles" when discussing non-members as groups. At least, we should, according to our theology.)

[ July 15, 2005, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
NA/Undecided

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
48/started out in United Methodist Sunday School, then attended First Baptist Sunday School, batpized LDS, attended Mennonite Brethren university, currently not practicing any religion. Oh, and my great-grandfather was a Southern Baptist minister. My relationship with religion and spirituality is very complicated.

EDIT: "batpized" [Eek!] It was really late when I wrote this last night. You all know what I meant. [Razz]

[ July 15, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: littlemissattitude ]

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
21/ baptized Christian, raised Catholic, now pretty much agnostic. Never was a fan of organized religion. But I have an ever increasing interest in some sort of spirituality.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
47/LDS
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*avoids temptation to quote The Muppet Movie*

*with much difficulty*

Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
If I believe in Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Ares, Aphrodite and the rest of those clan, how would I be called? (Hypothetically speaking.)
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Probably pagan. Or if you prefer, a polytheist or pantheist.
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
But no specific name for the Grecko-Roman religion?
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by skillery:
I'm disappointed to find that I'm the only non-onanist. They promised me when I joined that there would always be somebody there for me...

When you're an onanist, there always *is* somebody there for you...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

quote:
I'm disappointed to find that I'm the only non-onanist.
I'm sure there are othe... othe... OTHE... AH! AH! AH! AAAHHH! *Orgasm* - sorry, I'm sure there are other people here who don't masturbate.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
Man, from the pie chart, it looks like not only do people become Republicans as they age, they also become Christian/other! [Angst]

::runs away very very fast::
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
For all y'all's edification.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*beams proudly at Jon Boy*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
25. Climbing back up the Mormon tree. Not that I really fell from it, but still.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, for the edification of those who don't have a subscription, try here.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Katie: What, because I said "all y'all's"?

Noemon: Oops. I forgot about that. I fixed the link.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Boy: Yep. Does my heart good, that does. I'm right proud of you, li'l brother. </Texan>

Noemon: No way! It's in the dictionary! I'll stop thinking it's weird now.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.