FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Charlie and the Cocolate Factory **spoilers** (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Charlie and the Cocolate Factory **spoilers**
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
That is too funny! I see Carol now!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
What was the actual book ending?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers quoted...

quote:
Charlie takes Wonka to be reunited with his father, whom he has not seen since he ran away from home as a boy, to pursue a life in candy. Wonka learns from Charlie's idealism about the true meaning of family and why family bonds are stronger than all else.

Arrrrrgh!!!!!!

Ohhhh, I was so wanting to see this movie. I guess I still will.

But. *gack*

Nooooooo! [/anakin]

The original ending was that Willy Wonka left the factory to Charlie. In the sequel, they go off in a great glass elevator to tell his family - but go off into space by mistake and get attacked by giant slugs. No I am not joking - check out Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:

For me, it was the precise, toothy drawl (like a semi-Southerner wearing a huge set of false teeth and talking through honey), the head tilt, and the rhythm of speech. Heellllo, Dolly. [Smile]

Dag, I think Charlie was invied to become Wonka's successor, but there was no dentist-father backstory.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:

For me, it was the precise, toothy drawl (like a semi-Southerner wearing a huge set of false teeth and talking through honey), the head tilt, and the rhythm of speech. Heellllo, Dolly. [Smile]

Dag, I think Charlie was invied to become Wonka's successor, but there was no dentist-father backstory.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I am trying to remember, but they bust out of the factory in the glass elevator, and say that Charlie's family is taken care of and that he becomes the succesor. Nothing at all about Wonka's childhood that I recall.

Hey CT, maybe Michael Jackson was imitating Carol Channing all along.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Hey, crazy timestamps! [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
(SPOILERS!!!)

I was shocked when Wonka said that of course his family couldn't come with him. That wasn't the ending of the book, right? His family was allowed to come too right from the start.

(END SPOILERS!!!)

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Grandpa Joe was allowed to come from the start in the book, but no-one else.

At the end, they went off to tell the rest of the family, but then the sequel happened - slugs, elevators and the works.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen the sequel. (Is it a book, as well?)
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

It's only a book - "Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator".
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I could've sworn it was a movie. I remember a kid in my class bringing it to school in fourth grade, but we ended up watching another movie instead. (It was like the day before a vacation or something.) Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though. But I remember the title and that I wanted to see it. [Confused]
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
The slugs are the infamous "Vermicious Knids"
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyone was wondering, you are supposed to pronounce the "k," so it's pronounced "vermicious k-nids"

[/nerd]

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I own Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, but not Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Go figure - I have no idea why.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... same here, Kat... too weird.
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
same here, Jim and Kat . . . even weirder.

Movie SPOILERS below:
I am kinda disappointed that the way the ending of the new Charlie movie is written kinda precludes the idea of a glass elevator sequel. I always thought the Great Glass Elevator had much more potential to be an entertaining movie, and really was hoping they would make it this time around. Of course, being Hollywood, the producers COULD devise a completely stupid random reason to get Wonka, Charlie, and his entire family, plus a bed, into space and take the story from there, but I don't see it happening.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.