FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Getting A Feast for Crows from jolly old England...

Author Topic: Getting A Feast for Crows from jolly old England...
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
As a lot of you on this site know, I am a huge A Song of Ice and Fire fan. I know some of you are as well.

I read the current three books about two years ago, so this is the first time I will be able to get a book in the series as it is released. Obviously I want to get it the day it comes out, but this isn't as simple as it was for you Harry Potter fans.

Cause in this case, the American release date is November 8th, while the UK release date is October 17th. So theoretically, I could get the book a full three weeks before I would if I waited. This is of course not going to happen, because some english chap will actually have to mail me the thing.

Looking at amazon.co.uk, it looks like I have a couple options. The first is to have it shipped "air mail" which takes 6-10 business days. So it would get to me somewhere between October 25th, and October 31st. So in reality, perhaps only a week before I would get it had I waited for the US version. This week would cost me around thirteen american dollars more for international shipping, with a total of 35 dollars. Worth considering.

Then there's "priority express", which takes 1-2 business days, so the 18th or the 19th of October. Sounds great right? Almost three whole weeks early. Looking at the price tag though, and it would take sixty-one american dollars! Yeesh, thats almost three times what the book goes for. I am probably just obsessed enough with this series to consider this.

How are you hatrack Martin fans going to get your copies?

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait for a paperback. Yeah, I know, I'm cheap! [Big Grin] What's more, I have to wait for the English paperback version to come to France... [Grumble]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm rather confused as to WHY it would be coming out first in England. I didn't think Martin was British.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I've been rereading the three books to in preparation of the release of A Feast for Crows. I was just going to wait for the paperback, but I'll probably buy the hardcover on the American release date.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Public library.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
I'm rather confused as to WHY it would be coming out first in England. I didn't think Martin was British.
He's not. Its simply a result of having a different publisher on either side of the pond. His publisher in England takes less time to publish. Perhaps because they don't need to print nearly as many books.

I wouldn't even be considering getting the english version if the American version had kept its damn cover scheme. I hate it when the publisher switches cover styles completely in the middle of a series. They must know how much it annoys us who care how the books look on the shelf.

The english version will clash with the first three covers just as much as the american version will, so its not even a consideration [Grumble]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I was ignoring it so that the release date would feel like it just, you know, happened when I wasn't looking.

Thanks for reminding me. [Mad]

I'm not sure. I guess I'll get the hardcover when it comes out here. Been waiting this long, three more weeks won't kill me.

Xav, did you remember customs and VAT?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:

Xav, did you remember customs and VAT?

Well I know what the first one is, but not the second [Wink] .

On a google search, it appears you are referring to "Value Added Tax", which I don't know much about. Looking at the order confirmation page on amazon.co.uk, it says the VAT is zero.

For the customs, are you saying that it will effect my price or the time it takes to get to me? The total price quoted by amazon seems to take any additional charges into account when it calculates shipping and handling, since those two prices are what they are billing me for.

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait for the American edition--if I've already waited this long for the book, what's another three weeks?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to wait for the American version as well. What *would* be funny is if I happened to get my hot little hands on a British copy. The baby is due October 16th, so I can just see myself ignoring labor pains and Mr. Opera's pleas to go to the hospital all because I just have to finish the next chapter first.

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I meant added time for Customs. I know whenever I've ordered fencing gear from the UK delivery has been held up because of customs.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably just buy it when it's released in the US. I don't see me needing to read it three weeks early, I'll just avoid any spoilers in the time period.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, that might be because they are weapons of a sort..
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

well, it was a jacket
OlavMah
Member # 756

- posted      Profile for OlavMah   Email OlavMah         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of books come out first in the UK because, while UK citizens buy a lot of books from the US market, the opposite rarely happens. So, US publishers often give their UK subsidiaries a head start. You'll also notice that sometimes the UK cover art is nicer and the binding better, but not always.

The third book in the series didn't come out in paperback for several years. Bantam is not using the usual "wait one year, then paperback" formula, because Martin's hardcovers sell very, very well and they'd just as soon make the extra money.

Posts: 700 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I have to wait for the American version as well. What *would* be funny is if I happened to get my hot little hands on a British copy. The baby is due October 16th, so I can just see myself ignoring labor pains and Mr. Opera's pleas to go to the hospital all because I just have to finish the next chapter first.
Of course, if the baby doesn't want to come, the shock of his doing in some fabulous character you'd grown attached to could be used to induce labor.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

You know, I wonder what it's like to be writing your magnum opus, and know while you're doing it that that's what you're doing? The stress of that would be enough to make your hair fall out, I suspect.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You might consider flying to England and buying a copy there. That's how I first got into Terry Pratchett, well before his books made it stateside.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
I've actualy had something shipped from amazon.co.uk and in the end it was ok but I'm waiting for the US release. *shrug* I certainly am too poor to spend all that money for a book. You could just reread the whole series until the 4th. [Smile]

Or we can try to come up with stuff to keep you occupied until then.

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
You could just reread the whole series until the 4th. [Smile]
You know Sarah, that's not a bad idea [Smile] . I've read them all three times each, but a forth time never hurt anyone...

I am, however, interested to hear what these ideas to keep me occupied are [Wink] .

Oh and I am nearing the last couple hundred pages of The Great Book of Amber. In my mind, I break it down into two separate books. Corwin's story, and Merlin's story. I'm finding myself nowhere near as interested in Merlin's arch as I was Corwin's [Frown] . In fact, if I hadn't been so entertained by Corwin's story, I probably would never have gotten this far into Merlin's.

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait for the American Release. This is going to be the first book that I have ever bought in hardback when it was released. Normally I wait for paperback, but geez, haven't I waited long enough for this one? I think so.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.