FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Icarus! You're scaring me! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Icarus! You're scaring me!
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Seriously, thugh,
[ROFL]

Seriously, who's thugh?

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Hardy har har, Scott, Hardy har har.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just a sucker for a crying man. I wanna give em hugs and make em feel better.
I'm usually possessed by a desire to destroy things.

Unless it's my dad. Then I just roll my eyes and ignore it. He cries so much it no longer affects me.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus is popular because he is authentic. His sincerity about asking questions, settling differences, saying what needs to be said, and showing support is, well, legendary.

I hope he's doing okay. I miss him, but I want him to take the time he needs to do what needs to be done.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, CT, now my eyes are all mythty.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

I love having CT around.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

(*shy)

[Smile]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

*bah-dum-bump*
Erik Slaine
Member # 5583

- posted      Profile for Erik Slaine           Edit/Delete Post 
Now CT [No No]
Posts: 1843 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

First of all, I'm just A-OK!

I was having a really bad day the other day. First the funeral and all, and then on my way home from the funeral I ran across a former student on the street . . . who flipped me a bird, told me I suck, and told me she had wanted to tell me this forever and now she finally could. So, um, I was pretty depressed.

But I feel bad for worrying you all, because I've been having fun! Cor and I are finally, after taking all sorts of classes and stuff, having a little bit of vacation before we go back to work in a couple of weeks. We are on a cruise, and so internet is expensive!
(And if any of you wanna talk about addiction, I point you to the fact that this didn't stop me from checking in, eventually.)

So um, you're all worrying about me and I'm justoff partying . . . I feel like a bad kid. :-\

But I'm also very touched, and feeling much better now. I love you all. [Group Hug]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Icky [Wave] Glad you're OK. I, too, went on a cruise, and stayed away for a few days. Hatrack is a bunch of mother hens, doncha think, to miss you so when you don't write?

Be well and take care.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Thanks Icky, you made my day!

Have fun!

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear from you, Joe. Enjoy your vacation. [Cool]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, gald to hear you are OK. I would have told that student "You were one of the most idiotic kids I ever had, and I can finally say that too." .

Then again, when pissed I am not a nice man. [Wink]

I will wait until you get back, then I will start a thread about the FL trip. I want to get together with you all if possible. My best friend is a manager at one of the area Applebys so maybe we can all meet there for dinner or something. I am up for anything, although time will be a little short I think.

Have fun!

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo! Glad you're having some well earned fun. Enjoy!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
. . . and then on my way home from the funeral I ran across a former student on the street . . . who flipped me a bird, told me I suck, and told me she had wanted to tell me this forever and now she finally could. So, um, I was pretty depressed.
You could have killed her, you know. Assuming "a jury of your peers" means it would be made up of teachers, you would totally get off.

That is just so NASTY! [Mad] I have had teachers I disliked, but I never felt the need to do/say anything after I was out of their class!

Have fun on your vacation! [Smile]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

First the funeral and all, and then on my way home from the funeral I ran across a former student on the street . . . who flipped me a bird, told me I suck, and told me she had wanted to tell me this forever and now she finally could. So, um, I was pretty depressed.

That really, really sucks.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad y'all are having a much-needed vacation.

In regards to that appalling girl, try not to be too bothered by it (easier said than done, I know). Someone who would act so ugly is not worth being upset over. One thing I've learned from being married to a professor is that when a student dislikes you, it usually has nothing to do with you and everything to do with them.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

[Smile] Glad you're doing okay.

And what Mrs. M said, natch.

FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I ran across a former student on the street . . .
Hmm... seems better in hindsight if that "across" could be changed to an "over".
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus, I'm relieved to hear that you are well and enjoying yourself. As to your ungrateful ex-student, I suspect that she falls into the category of person that really resents being educated. You know, some folks just can't stand to learn. Have a wonderful, stress-free vacation!
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky,

I'm glad that you and Cor were able to take some time off together. Sounds like you had lots of fun! *jealous*

I've always wanted to take a cruise. *grin*

As for the student you ran over...I mean across...someday she will be a Real Grown Up Person and will feel very guilty about saying such a horrible thing. Well, that's what I prefer to believe, anyway.

*hugs to Ic and Cor*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I was searching today for which thread I had told the story of the kid who flipped me off on the street in . . . and when I finally found it, I found this thread I had forgotten, too!

This is a months old thread, I know, and I already expressed my appreciation for your concern, but as I read it again I was touched all over again [/OOC] to see all the people who cared enough about me to be concerned--particularly people that I sometimes wasn't sure even liked me all that much. So finding this thread at this moment made me feel all loved, at a good time for it.

Now,

UPDATE:

Sunday, I was walking downtown with Mango when I heard my name called. It was that same student, driving by on the street. Turns out she's going to school in Miami. She apologized profusely for what she had done bak in July, on the verge of tears. She said it was her stupid immaturity, and she was showing off for some friends who were with her, and that she felt horrible about it, because I did not deserve what she had done to me. She also related that although she had thought at the time that I had been a mean teacher, and that I was too hard, that she had discovered in her math class this year that I had not been mean at all, that, if anything, I had been generous. ( :-/ Of course, it could be argued that I must have failed to prepare her, then, if she's finding that I was easy compared to her college class, but whatever. )

She didn't need to have apologized. She could have driven by, and I would never have known she was there.

I thanked her and wished her luck in the future.

-o-

Today (3/7, which actually feels like tomorrow to me as I type this) would have been my grandmother's 84th birthday. I really eed to figure out how to get Outlook to stop reminding me of this date.

Or maybe not.

:-\

-o-

I hope Scottneb is doing well. I seem to remember him posting his "Goodbye for now" on one of the forums. He's a thoughtful and generous guy, and I hope that he's getting what he needs out of life. (As I recall, he was on National Guard duty, but I could be mistaken.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Icarus, that is one cool story. SO glad to hear that girl had the courage to stop you and apologize.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
How cool, Icarus. [Smile] I'm glad that she caught you to tell you.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] That's great Icarus! And great for her that she saw you and was able to tell you that--sounds like it must have been weighing on her ever since it happened.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the interactive component of the 'rack personal log fun?!

*hugs Icarus*

I'm glad she apologized to you -- and I'm sending you "happy memory" thoughts on this special day -- your grandma's still with you.

*smile*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful, Icarus. Wonderful.

And "happy memory" thoughts from me, too.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a great story. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool story. [Cool]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
That's great, Icarus! [Smile]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I like Icarus. I like Hatrack.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Smile]
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's really amazing!
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool, Icky. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not at all surprised, but I am very glad for you.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice update, Icky! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.