FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Screw Half-Blood Prince. I got my Magic Street.

Author Topic: Screw Half-Blood Prince. I got my Magic Street.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. I like harry Potter and whatnot, but I am much more excited about Magic Street than finding out how Moldimort gets his wand of power back and stuff. Who's with me?!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's probably plenty of time to read both. Personally, Dan Simmon's Olympos is the new release I'm most excited about, but I'm making myself finish the latest Harry Potter book before I buy Simmons' book.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant is that Harry Potter is getting too much publicity and stuff and I think its overrated while its OSC books that should get all the cool reviews and movies and stuff.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I am often amazed at the Harry Potter frenzy.

Maybe I'd understand it if I would just read the books... but at this point, it feels like I'd be drinking the Kool-Aid just to be like all the other cool kids.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Exactly. I want to read the book whenever I feel like it, not when the media tells me to.
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I refused to read HP because I thought it was a kids' book. My dad tried to convince me (though he hadn't read them either) because my friend's little brother liked them. Didn't work. But my mom got the first three for me for christmas (only three were out at that point) because they were on sale at Sam's Club. She figured I would refuse to read them and she would have three new books. [Big Grin] I figured as long as I had them I might as well read them. They're amazing! I would recommend them, even if you have them shipped to you under a false name and sit in the closet reading them by flashlight. (You know, so people don't think you're just jumping on the bandwagon or anything! [Wink] ) Seriously, my favorite thing about the series is trying to figure out where she's going with the plot and letting the ideas stew for a couple years while the theories stew (okay, so I'd probably rather not wait). Chatting with a whole bunch of people as we try to figure out what's going to happen even though we're all going to wrong is so much fun.

Okay, that was really long. I did love Magic Street, though. I read them for different reasons, but for me the frenzy is part of the fun of HP.

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Not reading Harry Potter because of the frenzy is exactly like reading Harry Potter because of the frenzy.

Read because Hatrack tells you to. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, what she said!
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I read HBP on Saturday because I want to know what happens. I have no such compunction with Magic Street, since I refrained from reading the online chapters. I will read it when I can take my time and enjoy it.

Now, when the Shadows/Speaker tie-in book comes out, I'll be fan-boying to the Borders that morning. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey... I only posted that because I was needing to use up the posts to my 1000 so I could post my stupid landmark finally. [Smile]

And here's 1001. It's all over!

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I put a hold on Magic Street at the library before it was even published. And it was a neighboring library that got it in, so they inter-library-loaned it to me as soon as it got to them. Mwa ha ha! I am superseding the rights of library readers in a 500 mile radius!
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

ha ha. Well, its not like I've not read ANY of the Harry Potter books yet. I just haven't read hbp, thats it. I don't feel so attracted to all the drama and stuff that goes on in Hogwarts, its all mainstream stuff you know. I will read it, its not like I'm boycotting or anything, I will read it when I feel like it, thats it.
Phheesh. Because Hatrack tells me to?

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Rowling to be OSC's superior in writing- especially these days. However, her online community is so filled with 30-something spinster cows who want to watch Harry and Draco make out that I'd rather crawl through a steaming pile of 2 week-old diapers. So, I don't really want to hang out over there.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
Rowling superior than OSC in writing? Huh?

I mean, the Harry Potter books are fun and all, but the writing isn't anything spectacular. Atleast, I don't think it is.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
While she is getting better, I'd say OSC is still improving, too. So I won't even try to compare the two; they both just keep getting better. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
No way, Rowling may have really entertaining plots and her writing is good, but it's nothing compared to OSC's characters and his ability to really make you think. Rowling makes you think about what happens next, OSC makes you think about things that make you smarter [Big Grin]
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're Primal Curve, in which case you're already so smart that nothing anyone writes is going to do anything for you.

[Razz]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
By "characters" I assume you mean "placeholders for increasingly dull dialogue between unbelievably intelligent characters."
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Because Hatrack tells me to?"

In general, Hatrack's book recommendations are remarkably good. You could do a lot worse.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I read Magic Street this past weekend, and now I have HP6 in my hot little hands. It's not an either/or sort of thing! [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
I received my copy of Magic Street a week ago and put it aside. I know.... crazy right. But, I really wanted to take my time with it. I remember reading the short story, "Water Baby" and really loving it. So, knowing the HP6 was coming out, and that I wanted to take my time with Magic Street, I didn't want to spoil my reading pleasure by having to put it down half way through.

I finished HP6 on Saturday evening. (I would have finished sooner, but I fell asleep during chapter 20, and then I later on I had to eat. Necessary evils, right?) Now, I am in the middle (well more like a fourth of the way in) of Magic Street and loving every minute of it.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Rowling superior than the almighty-man-with-the-pen Orson Scott Card? Blasphemy!!!
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I really don't think it's possible to compare them. They're way too different.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. I have no immediate plans to read either book. I'll read at least the first Harry Potter book someday, but it's going to be a while given the size of my book queue. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Sure. When OSC wants to isolate his hero, the adults abandon him. When JKR wants to isolate her hero, the adults die in front of his eyes.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I can compare them too. Magic Street: less than 4 hours, reading at a leisurely pace. HP6: after about 3 hours, reading at breakneck speed, just over half-way through. Darn needing sleep!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

I meant that I can't just say, "This one is clearly the better author." To me, they're both great, but since they write things that, while sometimes in the same genre, are completely different in terms of style and subject matter, I can't compare in terms of who's better.
katharina
Member # 827

They are my two favorite living authors. OSC is OSC, part of my thinking and still my favorite. On the other hand, my brain likes JKR so much it invents dreams where we get to be friends. I see no reason to choose. I get such different things from each.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say OSC is better, at least for me, because he has this ability to get me so damn into the book even when I can't stand the religious overtones in some of the books (specifically the Homecoming series). I have yet to find another author who could do that.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. Who else is really loving Magic Street? I just began it last night, and have really enjoyed it so far. There's something very different in the tone of the characters, etc. that lends it a gritty/totally realistic feel. Ura Lee's internal description of her former husband had me laughing out loud (the golden key behind the zipper of his pants). I'm glad I waited and didn't read the first 5 chapters online; it would have been too hard to wait for the book!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, I'm glad you guys are loving it. I wasn't drawn in by the online chapters in a way that made me 'fan-girl' for the book. (I'm going to use that like a verb from now on because Dagonee did it.)

But, I trust all of your opinions and I'll definitely pick it up soon.

...but I JUST got my hands on HBP, so I'm afraid that one comes first. [Razz]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Card is without question a better writer and I enjoyed Magic Street very much.....but I liked HP6 more.

!!!!

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
I think there's probably plenty of time to read both. Personally, Dan Simmon's Olympos is the new release I'm most excited about, but I'm making myself finish the latest Harry Potter book before I buy Simmons' book.

Olympos is absolutely wonderful. I got it when I moved in here, as a sort of housewarming present to myself (a couple weeks before HP6).

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
However, her online community is so filled with 30-something spinster cows who want to watch Harry and Draco make out that I'd rather crawl through a steaming pile of 2 week-old diapers. So, I don't really want to hang out over there.

*snort* It is fairly hard to not notice, but entertaining in VERY small amounts. I support creativity, but not insanity.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never screwed a half-blood prince. Any good?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah. It turns them into a frog when you're only part of the way done.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
DANG IT! [Angst]
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
HP are the only books I'll buy upon release. I'm playing the college student card, but I really don't have the money to pay for a hardcover book I may not like. I like OSC, but not all his books are worth the cost.

I was once a Harry Potter hater. I mocked all the silly journalists and their damn daily stories when GoF came out, all of which I believed were wasting perfectly good news space. Then one day I was desperate for a read and asked for opinions from some online fans. The respone was overwhelmingly positive. I picked up the first book and was in love by the second page.

Btw, I resent the dig at H/D shippers. I had to have something to read between HP books and new seasons of Queer as Folk.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Space Opera:
Wow. Who else is really loving Magic Street? I just began it last night, and have really enjoyed it so far. There's something very different in the tone of the characters, etc. that lends it a gritty/totally realistic feel. Ura Lee's internal description of her former husband had me laughing out loud (the golden key behind the zipper of his pants). I'm glad I waited and didn't read the first 5 chapters online; it would have been too hard to wait for the book!

space opera

I loved it. When you're done, there's a spoiler thread for it on the other side. [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mwa ha ha! I am superseding the rights of library readers in a 500 mile radius!
Of course there are only 17 people who read Card in that 500 mile radius and 12 of them already ordered the book through amazon and the other 4 haven't heard about it yet.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.