FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The world is really a sick, sick place.

Author Topic: The world is really a sick, sick place.
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
Look here .

I'm, I'm... [Eek!]

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I just knew that story would be at the other end of the link...
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, humans can get a mite twisted.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
That's easier said than done, Bob.

Look here.

At the very least, a human would need a high-quality magnifier and very tiny tweezers. [Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
that was a baaaad pun.
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any other?
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
There are bad puns, and then there are baaaad puns.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
baaaad
Are you making a sheep pun Jon Boy? Considering the story, perhaps thats a little disrespectful of the farm animal community...
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just going to say that.

But not as nicely. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

This thought just occurred to me:

When Papa Moose gets back, will he really be relieved this thread isn't about onanism? [Dont Know]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

That's a good question.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
The sad thing is, I read an article somewhere justifying bestiality as a way to "show love" to animals.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Well, for awhile, Peter Singer got people distracted from talking about his proposals on infanticide and other stuff when he published a review and commentary on a book on bestiality.

I'll link to the review, but it deserves a foul language and general disgust alert for people who prefer not to read things that fall outside of acceptable terminology. Some of the language and most of the content will be unacceptably offensive to some people.

Does that qualify as "fair warning?" [Smile]

"Heavy Petting" by Peter Singer

To be fair to Singer, though, his thoughts on this are probably not to far afield from other secular bioethicists. About 2 years before this article came out, I was on a very quite email list devoted to medical ethics issues. Someone brought up this topic and the list dang near exploded. Many were making the same case Singer makes in this review article.

Doesn't make his views on this mainstream for bioethics, but I don't know if they're exactly extreme, either.

Annie
Member # 295

Mainstream or off-base or whatever, I still think the argument is totally bogus.

But that's just me.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Also, many of those examples he cites are being used in a way they weren't intended.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Annie - agreed.

KQ - Good points. And those types of maneuvers are not unusual for Singer.

And I don't agree with the article, either.

I just didn't want to necessarily single Singer out. Although he seems to revel at that aspect of reaction to his work at least as much as he objects to it.

In other words, he's not the epitome of evil, he's just the tip of the iceberg made visible. [Wink]

romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] Wow, my midwife and a good friend live in Enumclaw, and everyone knows everyone there. I bet they know him.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

*bites tongue and hits typing fingers - hard, to prevent the replies to romanylass's post that want to come out*
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on, say it.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Everyone knows all the animals there too, apparently.
sndrake
Member # 4941

So, romanylass...

Does your midwife assist when your pets are due for delivery?

Does your midwife double as a vet?

Does your midwife moonlight in animal husbandry?

Does your midwife make barn-calls?

*stops*

Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
bestiality is not illegal in Washington state
[Eek!] Wow. I just assumed it was illegal everywhere.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

[ROFL] [ROFL]

I was going to say, as long as she's been practicing there's a good chance she delivered this guy, but I figured someone would twist it.

I was also going to say my friend used to work as a waitress and probably served him, but......

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.