FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » All you believe to know and all you always wonder about Frenches

Author Topic: All you believe to know and all you always wonder about Frenches
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
In France, i already said you that Media desinform us about what you are and what you really think. For example, i recall you the thread about the movie "Les choristes" and the warning on it for parents who are transform into "censure" by french media.

But i know it is identically in USA about Frenches. I heard some news in Fox news totally wrong.

So I have the idea to correct information you have about french, and to answer to all questions you may have. I'll try to answer it objectivelly.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did the French really invent French kissing? If not, why is it called that? [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Silly KQ. The French invented Love. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But i know it is identically in USA about Frenches. I heard some news in Fox news totally wrong.
Foxnews is only slightly more reliable than the Drudge Report. Its really garbage a lot of the time.

So, what to ask a Frenchman...

Well I am always curious as to what kids in other countries learn in school. Can you tell me a little bit about how these topics were covered in your education?

1) World War II: Vichy France, French Liberation, that sort of thing. America's involvement?

2) American Revolution: Does your education cover it? The French involvement? The possible influence on the French Revolution?

3) The French Revolution: The Reign of Terror, Napoleon a hero?

That sort of thing interests me greatly [Smile] .

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
The real question: Is it true that French people don't eat corn on the cob?

I had a French professor tell us this was in fact true, however I was served corn on the cob in Switzerland-- but since that's not France...

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Do the French like peanut butter?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
What is up with the Metro in Paris? The German and Austrian subway systems are so organized and easy to understand... and the Metro is completely comfusing. (It might be partly because I speak fluent German and not a word of French [Wink] )
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to hear little kids from different non-English speaking countries imitating English speakers. What sounds do they hone in on as stereotypically English? Not that you can really answer this is a written format, but still.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Noemon, that's actually a fascinating question. *wonders, too*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a book I read that includes excerpts from foreign textbooks about the history of the US. INteresting stuff, except that it was as dry as many textbooks are.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Foxnews is only slightly more reliable than the Drudge Report. Its really garbage a lot of the time.

Please prove this.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. We want DNA and an alibi.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I read that book, dean, I didn't think it was all that dry. My two favorite parts were anything taken from North Korean textbooks and the incredible variation in reports of the spanish-american war.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
Please prove this.
Well obviously I can't prove this [Razz] . Its my opinion that Foxnews is a pretty bad place to get your news. Every single story has the best possible spin on it for the Bush administration. To the point of inaccuracy in some cases.

One instance off the top of my head were the headlines coming out of the initial Iraq invasion. They would have these "breaking news" blurbs which half the time were either misleading, or just plain false.

I didn't take screenshots or anything, but it would go something like...

"Chemical Weapons Found!" The whole story comes out, and no, there were no chemical weapons found. Just some old storage tanks which are now empty.

"Mobile Chemical/Biological Weapons Labs Discovered!" The story comes out, and they were those hydrogen/helium labs.

At the time I was checking Foxnews every day, I supported the Iraq war because I had been convinced of Saddam's WMD capabilities. Each false headline angered me, and I came to the conclusion that they were not, in fact, reliable. They were downright misleading and sensational.

And while they are "commentary" shows, and not "news", almost every time I flip to there, its:
Guy 1:"Bush is obviously right in this matter"
Guy 2: "I disagree, its the Democrats who are obviously wrong"
Guy 3: "You know, I can't believe there are even democrats left in the world"
Guy 4: "Come on now guys, Bush was only 90% right on this matter at best"
Guy 1,2,3: *shocked indignation*

I don't want to turn this into an argument, but the fact that they said something totally wrong about France (I will trust Choobak that they did) does not surprise me in the least, considering that France was the main country which opposed Bush's war.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Well, i go out some hours and now i've got a lot of work !

Firstly : Yes, we invented the French kiss and romantism (I cannot say no : it's our reputation [Big Grin] ).

Secondly : Xavier, I can said what i learned during my study in High school.
About Vichy, i was teach many details of the politically aspect and espessially the french role in the deportation. With all proces here (Barby, Papon, for said just them), we learned how it was terrible and the cowardise and badness of many Frenches. Another fact i learned and i was horrified is the hair shaving of women who are supposed to have sex with German. All the badness of humanity are in that !
About the involvement of USA We learn all the implication of USA to help us. That why i appreciate you. But we also learn the difficulty of De Gaulle to convince Roosevelt to trust in the resistance (exterior and then interior) and how USA want to acquire the gouvenance of France. But De Gaulle is someone stubborn. I think "fortunatelly", because he put up our image so tarnished by Vichy. (I can't judge Petain, because i really think he was honest when he take the power. But he was manipulated for me.)
To finish this question, We learned the sacrifice so many Americans, Canadians, Africans, Polishs, Russians, Englishes, and Frenches did for my country. We are all frenches affected by this war. I must said all European, and that why we realised the European Union in part. We know that.
About the Américan revolution we have a chapter. Because of the intervention of Lafayette you may know well. In reality It was a plan against England again, The Ennemy since the one hundred years War. But, so many ideas of freedom was born in this period ! But the influance in France revolution is not real. One hundred years before, some politicians think about a new system like Republic. But Louis XIV was coming and take the power so hardly, that this idea went asleep since Louis XVI who are a weak king.
Just for exemple of what i said, Cyrano de Bergerac(XVIth century), are one who defend these new ideas of freedom.
About the revolution, we look all aspect, the new ideas, the great things like hospital and school for everybody, and the worst as the terror and the despotism of Robespierre. For Napoleon, we learn about the two aspect : the genious and the strengh he occured to France and the terrible number of dead he make for his madness of territory. The debacle is an important passage of our history we look. So, Not a hero (but sometime...), someone who permit a great development for France. He founded the civil code, he helped some of our Grande école like Polytechnique, Ponts et chaussées or the mine, L'école des Arts et Métiers.
I hope answer well to your questions.

Thirdly : we eat corn on the cob. We produce many corn in fact.

Forthly : Frenches like peanuts butter, but prefer Nutella, just confiture (marmelade) or just real butter.

fifthly : The Metro is really good in Paris, but as it is old, it is not prepared for foreigners. But it is in renovation currently. The last ligne (the 14) is totally automatized and run very well !

sixthly : Waw ! I don't know exactly how respond to that ! When i was a child, i tried to speak sound like English singers. But i cannot describe that. We call that speak "yaourt".

Seventhly : Another hystory question. So, I follow a great part of the USA history during the cold war in highschool class (all young follow this lesson), The vietnam war (in the continuity of Indochine), the North korean and the south korean (about that i watched the movie frère d'arme or brother in arms (?) about this war : fabulously interesting !) the battle Kennedy vs krouchtchev, and Reagan vs Gorbadchev. But i must said, we don't really study the north vs South battle or the mexican war. Just the revolution.

So what's next ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Why do you think it is that the French have a reputation for being mean to tourists? Is it just exageration? Is it only Parisians? My experience in Paris was so pleasant, but I know people who had just horrible times there.

2) How come my baguettes never turn out like the ones in Paris? Even when they turn out very well, they aren't as good as Parisian ones.

3) Do French men secretly obsess about how they look in a Speedo, or do they just not care? And...as a followup: Are all French men issued a Speedo at birth and expected to just grow into (or rather out of) it?

[ July 19, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Bob - you have to get a baguette pan with little holes punched in the bottom. Really. That's the secret.

But alas, I am not an expert French baker yet. I can't make a croissant or pain au chocolat ot save my life. The butter always gets all over, making it hard to roll, and they taste yeasty when I'm done.

Here's my question for Choobak, which is really just a random thing I was wondering about today: cadres. I know that a certain class of workers are called cadres, and I also know that it means "frame," but I never understood exactly what about the workers qualify them to be called cadres. Is it something about the amount of money they make, or their function in the company? Why do they have the name "frames?"

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, you mean I have to acquire more baking pans. Oh darn!

[Party]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Or marry me.

<--- makes excellent baguettes

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

1) I think it is sometime right, sometime wrong. [Big Grin] Depend to who you meet. Personally, i like help tourists by piece of advices. But there are some people a little selfish. (sometime a lot).

2) Be french ! [Wink] We don't use OGM [Big Grin] What are your ingredients ? And how prepere your dough ?

3) what is a Speedo ?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Speedo is a brand of swimwear and other clothes and accessories. They are famous for very "brief" men's racing suits.
Choobak
Member # 7083

Annie, I am a Cadre. The best translation is manager, i think, Because we are people who lead team : Nous "encadrons des personnes dans leur travail". Are you understanding ?
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Nous "encadrons des personnes dans leur travail"
You do this to your workers? [Eek!]

[Wink] just kidding. I think I understand.

Oh, and OGM = GMO en anglais.

Choobak
Member # 7083

Ok ! So, Some guys be care of what they look in speedo, but not the major part. I'm not like this, fortunatelly,because i could depress with my little tummy (?) [Smile]
And no, we aren't born with one. [Big Grin]

*edit*
Right Annie. [Wink] And we lash them.

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Does Alizée have any credibility as an artist? Or is she just a tasty little French Britney Spears? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

quote:
I don't want to turn this into an argument
Trust me, neither did I. [Smile] I just want people to stop passing their opinion off as fact. It's been happening a lot lately.

Choobak, I love that when I read your posts, I read them with a French accent. Especially when you say "Frenches," I love that.

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Alizée... A cute little girl who use his pretty face to sell disk. So yes i think she is a french Britney. In better [Smile] .
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Is the Tour de France really a national event? I obsess about it here the entire time, and it really seems like all of France gets behind it. I was wondering what kind of coverage it actually gets in Frnace?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by scottneb:
quote:

Please prove this.
quote:
A study by the Project for Excellence in Journalism in 2005 found that, in covering the Iraq War in 2004, 73% of FOX News stories included editorial opinions, compared to 29% on MSNBC and 2% on CNN. The same report found FOX less likely than CNN to present multiple points of view.
quote:
A news article in October 2004 by Carl Cameron, chief political correspondent of FOX News, containing three fabricated quotes attributed to Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. The quotes included: "Women should like me! I do manicures," "Didn't my nails and cuticles look great?" and "I'm metrosexual [Bush's] a cowboy." FOX News retracted the story and apologized (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,134166,00.html), citing a "jest" that became published through "fatigue and bad judgement, not malice".
quote:
An opinion piece on the Hutton Inquiry decision, in which John Gibson said the BBC had "a frothing-at-the-mouth anti-Americanism that was obsessive, irrational and dishonest" and that the BBC reporter, Andrew Gilligan, "insisted on air that the Iraqi Army was heroically repulsing an incompetent American Military" [19] (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,109821,00.html). In reviewing viewer complaints, Ofcom (the United Kingdom's statutory broadcasting regulator) ruled that FOX News had breached the program code in three areas: "respect for truth", "opportunity to take part", and "personal view programmes opinions expressed must not rest upon false evidence". Fox News admitted that Gilligan had not actually said the words that John Gibson appeared to attribute to him; OfCom rejected the claim that it was intended to be a paraphrase. (see Ofcom complaint, response and ruling (http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/obb/prog_cb/pcb_11/upheld_cases)).

quote:
Frank O'Donnell, a former employee of WTTG (a FOX affiliate), says: "We were stunned, because up until that point, we were allowed to do legitimate news. Suddenly, we were ordered from the top to carry [...] Republican, right-wing propaganda,"
quote:
In a Wall Street Journal Europe op-ed published on May 20, 2005, London bureau chief Scott Norvell wrote: "Even we at Fox News manage to get some lefties on the air occasionally, and often let them finish their sentences before we club them to death and feed the scraps to Karl Rove and Bill O'Reilly."
quote:
Compared guests on FOX's Special Report with Brit Hume with those on CNN's Wolf Blitzer Reports:
white male Republican conservative
Hume (FOX) 93% 91% 89% 71%
Blitzer (CNN) 93% 86% 57% 32%

And as indirect evidence a recent study found that US residents who got their news primarily from FOX were more likely than the average citizen to believe common (pro-Bush) misconceptions about the Iraq war.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that the French will refuse to speak English with you even though they all studied it in school.

My experience in France suggests this is not true. We've met alot of friendly people who seem to go out of their way to communicate with us using hand gestures and the like but who don't seem to speak or understand any english.

Is it true that the French all spend at least 3 hours eating dinner or this just what happens in restaurants.

[ July 20, 2005, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Do the baguettes go in the front or in the back of the speedo?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

Mmmm...back-end baguettes... :drool:
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Normally, I wouldn't say anything but you have said before tha you are trying to improve your English so I just thought I'd offer this one little correction. In in English we don't say 'Frenches' for plural, we say "The French". Frenches is a brand of mustard.
scottneb
Member # 676

Man! I like it when he says that!

...and it's "French's" mustard.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I like it too, but he has said he was interested in improving his English so I thought it might be rude not to say something.

And regarding the mustard, you can't expect me to spell it correctly if I never buy it. I prefer Grey Poupon.

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I love French's mustard for use on corn dogs. It's perfect for that.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

"If it ain't yellow, it ain't mustard."

-Alton Brown

The Rabbit
Member # 671

I am shocked that anyone could use love and corn dogs in the same sentence.
scottneb
Member # 676

<--- Loves Pronto-Pup.

[ July 20, 2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Choobak
Member # 7083

hum !!! Thanks for the correction. You are nice.

To respond to the new questions :

Firstly : The tour de France is really a national event. Sometime, a stage go in neighbouring countries as Belgium, Germany or Italy. But the race make always the turn of France and finish at Paris. It covered a great part of my country.

Secondly : About speaking in english, many French (and me sometime) have difficulties. It's not the habitual sound. I already explain that languages have a band of frequency and French is in a lower band than English. So the apprehension of English is a hard for us. And I think you may have some difficulties to speak french, no ? But French who can speak in english don't hesitate to use it with tourists.
About eating, we spend i think 2 hours by day than three commonly. But in restaurant, we like take our time and for dîner we may spend two hours. Eating is something really important for us because it is a time to exchange idea and speak with friends. Uncommunication is the badness of our time. Don't forget this !

thirdly : Skillery, What do you say ? Speedo and baguettes what do you mean ? Explain your question !

Forthly : The only real mustard is the Dijon's mustard. For people who don't know Dijon is In Bourgogne on East of France.

skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Speedo and baguettes what do you mean?
It's a reference to a joke about men who aren't confident in tight swimming suits.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

[ROFL]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

quote:
The most famous of the great Dijon mustard firms was founded in 1777. Monsieur Grey, who had developed a secret recipe for a strong mustard made with white wine, formed a partnership with Monsieur Poupon, who supplied the financial backing to manufacture the product.
The extra scharf mustard I buy in germany is pretty tasty as well. It's got quite a kick.

Yellow Mustard is for pansies.

Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Uncommunication is the badness of our time. Don't forget this !

Never!

[Smile]

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Fox News sucks. I mean, for crying out loud!

They're not allowed to do that kind of stuff.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

Question : Must i say "badness" or "evil" ?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. "Evil" seems a little strong, but "badness" isn't really a word. I'd go with "bane."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

"Bane". Ok ! Thanks a lot !
scottneb
Member # 676

Choobak, "badness" is more of a slang word derived from the use of "bad" to mean "cool" or "awesome." Most of the time it's fit into a sentence to replace "Highness." For example, "Now intorducing, the coolest person in the world! His Badness, scottneb!" See, it's just a silly word.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.