FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie should break in my new TV? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What movie should break in my new TV?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
As part of the new apartment celebration, I am purchasing a 30" widescreen (theater ratio) TV. The theory here is that I don't watch that much actual TV and watch more DVDs. I am a firm believer in initiating new objects into my life properly. I am currently entertaining suggestions as to what should be the first movie for my lovely new television. It'll also be the first movie for my new apartment. I have a few ideas, but will leave them out so as not to taint your suggestions.

Ideas?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Barney: Extended Edition
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest:

LOTR Extended Edition Marathon

or

What Dreams May Come (okay, not a great movie, but visually stunning and it'll make your screen happy).

or

The Cell (also not a great movie, but visually really cool)

You know, I never thought of this before, but there's really NOT a quintessential "play this first" movie for new video systems like there are priority plays for new audio systems.

Like, I've broken in EVERY new sound system by playing Steely Dan's Aja album first. But a movie...I'm not sure.

Oh well.

Good luck.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You shouldn't be buying a TV at all, they are evil. Get a membership in a gym, or if you already have one, get a bike.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I don't think they make Barney in widescreen, which kind of defeats the point. Brat.

I'd probably do the LOTR extendeds if I didn't have so much else to do this weekend. Oh, who am I kidding? I may do it, anyway.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
My suggestions:

Remember the Titans

Jurassic Park

Finding Nemo

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Princess Bride

The Iron Giant

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of a movie marathon.

The Money Pit.

Pacific Heights.

Single White Female.

Apartment Zero.

The Apartment Complex.

Joe's Apartment.

Apartment Story.

Jericho Mansions.

It's a theme. [Wink]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it depends on the type of movie you want to see first. Visually stunning? A damn good movie overall? Horror? Cult-classic? Drama?

Man, so much.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
While I'm pretty much disappointed with the new Star Wars films, the podrace sequence in The Phantom Menace is a great way to showcase a new home theater. Great visuals with lots of vibrant colors and excellent surround sound with lots of different harmonics for each of the pod's engines.

After that, I'm with Bob_Scopatz:

Extended Edition LotR marathon.

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I like your thinking, Kayla, though a few of those are better for a new house than an apartment.

One of the ones I've been considering is The Shining because the hallways in my new building remind me of it. I think it's the carpet that does that.

--Enigmatic

dkw
Member # 3264

quote:
After that, I'm with Bob_Scopatz
*Looks around quickly*

No you're not.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:

One of the ones I've been considering is The Shining because the hallways in my new building remind me of it. I think it's the carpet that does that.

*decides not to invite herself over for the show*
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The Iron Giant

The LOTR Trilogy

And, since I don't see it here yet:

The Matrix (the first one)

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
2001: A Space Odyssey
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You trying to put him to sleep? (I've never managed to make it through that movie, though I've tried several times.) Snore.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

[Eek!] Me too! It's not even that I'm bored by it, it's more like there's some subliminal hypnosis in the opening scene that puts me out like a light.
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
You've Got Mail.

That's what I would pick.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

Exactly!
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Blade Runner [Cool]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no film more soporific that "Koyaanisqatsi". I saw it in the cinema on a first date. It caused me not only to sleep with a guy on the first date, it caused me to sleep with a theater full of other people, too.

A chorus of snores rose from the audience. No kidding.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
2001: A Space ....zzzzzzz

I'm so conditioned by that movie that the opening bars of Also Sprach Zarathustra will send me into an 8 hour coma.

It's the movie equivalent of tryptophan.

I woke up once towards the end of that movie and realized I'd never actually seen that part, even though I'd watched the thing at least a dozen times.

I think anyone who would design a computer without an off switch gets what they deserve.

There's no way I'd go onto a ghost spaceship filled with human blood and tissue floating in zero G and then take off my space suit after a finite amount of time and air scrubbing. Bleccchh.

If I ever see an obelisk land on any planet of mine, I'll beat it to pulp with the nearest femur. Oook!

It's full of stars, my ass! The cast was "B" at best.

Space stewardesses should not wear soft sculpture bubble hats, even if they do have to walk upside down and wear velcro-soled booties!

The PanAm space plane was cool and I'm really sorry they went bankrupt before starting that service.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a firm supporter of the LOTR Trilogy marathon.

Other suggestions include-

Original Star Wars Trilogy marathon (they added surround sound in the DVD edition, and it's, as we all know, a lot better than the new movies)

And thats about it.

But I'd have to go with LOTR, seeing how it's the perfect set of movies to exhibit for a quality audio-video system. Well with all the amazing visuals and intresting sounds.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Metropolis (directed by Fritz Lang)?
Hunchback of Notre Dame (the one with Charles Laughton)?
Ruggles of Red Gap (Charles Laughton fan, I guess)?
The Gold Rush (Charlie Chaplin)?

I haven't seen a lot of movies lately. But I remember that those were pretty good. If you are looking for very high fidelity sound quality, you might want to stay away from Metropolis and The Gold Rush, however.

Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's no way I'd go onto a ghost spaceship filled with human blood and tissue floating in zero G and then take off my space suit after a finite amount of time and air scrubbing. Bleccchh.

Weren't those from 2010?

In any case, I love 2001 and Koyaanisqatsi. If I were in your position, those would be at the top of my list.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I still think The Iron Giant sounds like a good choice. Or maybe The Day the Earth Stood Still .
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Speed. Could be. I half remember them.

Too bad too. The books aren't bad, but the movie!!!

I felt like I was hit upside the head with a Kubrick.

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
I felt like I was hit upside the head with a Kubrick.
[ROFL]

Edit: I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to watch the Iron giant , which is how it is written on the movie case, right now.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Joe's Apartment. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Pixiest:
I second Joe's Apartment. [Roll Eyes]

The only part of that film that was worth anything was when he gets mugged like four times in 60 seconds. [ROFL]

The rest was pure...um...I can't say without violating forum rules. [Monkeys]

Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:

[ROFL]
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got home theatre audio to go along with your tv, and wanna invite a few folks to make the video premier into a housewarming, try burning down the house with Stop Making Sense.

Guaranteed you'll be dancing.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Raiders of the lost ark

Spielberg, Lucas, Ford at their best.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
All movies should break in your TV. There's just not room for them whole.

If movies are breaking in your TV, you should try putting them into the VCR or DVD player.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Army of Darkness

The Bruce is all.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Cube". most pointless but also incredibly creative movie ever
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
"The Cube". most pointless but also incredibly creative movie ever
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! Ahh! Ahhh!

The glory that is Night Train to Venice.

Err, maybe not.

Edit: Well, this way you could guarantee that you'll never, ever see a worse movie on it. 'Twould only go up from there.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Edit: Well, this way you could guarantee that you'll never, ever see a worse movie on it. 'Twould only go up from there.
Bah, if I was going to do THAT, I already own a copy of Ed Wood's Orgy of the Dead. Unfortunately (or maybe not) it isn't widescreen, so that's no good for these purposes. No good for any other purposes, really, except inflicting upon unsuspecting, and soon to be former-, friends.

--Enigmatic
(First post from new apartment! I have teh intarnets!)

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

The only part of that film that was worth anything was when he gets mugged like four times in 60 seconds.

The singing cockroaches crack me up, but it was really much better as a 5 minute short than a movie. The movie was really... really... bad.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Lawrence of Arabia
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Jingle All the Way

The fully saturated colors and fine film grain make this an eye-popping experience.

Finding Nemo would be a good second choice for a TV workout.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

In case anyone cares, the actual first movie for the new tv was Labyrinth. I, uh... have my reasons.

--Enigmatic

Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
*is curious*

Labyrinth is delightful. Good choice!!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

So, you decided to shy away from the visual grandeur and special effects that is Fritz Lang's "Metropolis". Well, no accounting for taste. [Razz]
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

My copy of Metropolis is not widescreen aspect ratio, defeating the purpose for this exercise. Now that I think about it, I don't think my copy of the original Nosferatu is, either. Was the wide ratio introduced later? Any movie history folks know this?

Narnia, a careful search of Hatrack for things related to Labyrinth should reveal my reasons. Sure, I could just tell you, but then I wouldn't be

--Enigmatic

theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
[guess]Because you like watching David Bowie wear tight leather pants?[/guess]
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
What no firefly?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
If your reason has anything to do with the budding starlet Labyrinth features, then you have my full blessing. Excellent selection.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, would have been Firefly for me.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Firefly's a TV show. = Not wide screen = defeating the purpose when he wants to break in his new widescreen TV.

I know why he chose Labyrinth. But I'm guessing I'm not allowed to play. [Smile]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.