FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Serenity - NEW international trailer!

Author Topic: Serenity - NEW international trailer!
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
The long-delayed international trailer for Serenity was just released for download over at the UK Can't Stop the Signal site, and it's a doozy. I think it's MUCH better than the first trailer (which was pretty damn good to start with): it shows off the combination of humor and action that was Firefly's hallmark, rather than playing it as a straight sci-fi action flick.

Be warned that the trailer does contain a lot of new footage, so if you're avoiding spoilers at all costs, better skip this one. That said, this thread is still NON-SPOILER (except for the stuff in the trailers), for those of us who didn't manage to get into a preview screening. Thanks. [Smile]

[ July 20, 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
So...if I were to worship you as a mid-level diety, would that be cool?
Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Well...I should NOT have watched that, as I am only on the third show...

You should put spoiler warnings up, that showed a LOT more than I thought it would.

Oh well... [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Kwea: There was a spoiler warning in my original post, but I made it bold now, for greater emphasis. Sorry I wasn't clear to start with! [Frown]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Well... oh my. That trailer gets the blood running, dunnit?
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Drat. I'm at work and can't watch. [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Tarrsk, that trailer is much better than the first one--much more of the personality of Firefly comes through in this one.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chreese Sroup
Member # 8248

- posted      Profile for Chreese Sroup           Edit/Delete Post 
If you've read the comic it doesn't look like it spoils that much. (I haven't watched it all yet.)
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
You're right Tarrsk, that trailer is much better than the first one--much more of the personality of Firefly comes through in this one.

But does the personality of Firefly come through in the movie?

(Not watching the trailer. Don't want spoilers.)

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
[SPOILER WARNING]
Yes.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Heh--I was going to say "No".
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Yes.
quote:
No.
This is why I asked Noemon. [Wink]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The trailer's getting better. I think it started well, then drifted a bit... but we're getting there.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

twinky, are you asking Noemon because you're set on being pessimistic about the movie? Cause you don't believe Chris? If you're spoiler free, what makes you think that Chris is wrong? *nudge nudge*
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Just saw your article (as posted on Whedonesque.com), Chris. Great job, it really nails what makes Firefly special. [Smile]
twinky
Member # 693

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
twinky, are you asking Noemon because you're set on being pessimistic about the movie? Cause you don't believe Chris? If you're spoiler free, what makes you think that Chris is wrong? *nudge nudge*

Noemon's assessment of the movie and my assessment of the trailer are roughly analogous, which makes me less excited about the movie than I was before he posted his review of it.

I watched Firefly when it was on the air the first time, and I loved it then. I bought the first copy of the DVD box set that I saw in a store. I have introduced more than ten people to the series -- in most cases by watching the DVDs with them, but in some cases (Teshi's, for instance) by lending out my own copy of the box set. I love Firefly; it is the only TV show or movie I have ever really evangelized. [Smile] I want to love Serenity as much as I love the episodes, and until recently I was very excited about the movie.

Reading Nomeon's opinion made me realize it might not blow me away as I was hoping, but he also noted that everyone else he knows who has seen it was blown away, so I was still hopeful. When I saw the trailer, I felt more or less the same way about it as he did about the movie. I'm sure I'll still enjoy it, but if the first trailer is representative of the movie, I'm not going to be blown away like I was hoping. If that makes me a "pessimist" then we must have wildly different definitions of the word. [Razz]

Narnia
Member # 1071

[Razz] right back atchya.

'Pessimist' is probably the wrong word, but your attitude toward the movie has seemed rather....doleful? mournful? But that's just from my point of view. [Wink]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a very optimistic person but I too am wary of a movie I was very excited about.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The second trailer is much more representative of the movie (although it's edited better [Smile] ).
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

The other thing is that I tend to trust someone who writes reasoned prose over someone who gushes over something. [Wink]

I fully expect that even if I'm not blown away I'll enjoy it as much as I enjoyed most of the episodes. What I was hoping for, though, was something equivalent to watching the last three episodes in rapid succession, which has come close to reducing me to tears in the past. [Smile]

Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very careful to reserve my judgement and curb my excitment ahead of the HHTTG movie, precisely so that I wouldn't be overly disappointed if it didn't meet my expectations. Then, despite my best intentions, it didn't, and I felt overly disappointed anyway, but without having had the enjoyment of anticipation that can make (What should be) a landmark movie so special.

So I've decided that with Serenity, I'm just going to be excited, anyway. And if it doesn't live up to it, well...in Joss we trust...

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like twinky and I are actually of the same mind on this. Mind you, at least I'm consistent. I never like any movies I see [Razz]

Edit: That's now 2 trailers without Book [Frown]

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I guess I'm missing the boat on this Firefly thing. I'm fine with that.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Ah, but I'm a columnist. I'm supposed to gush and go all hyperbolic.

I can find problems with the movie if I look for them. I can find problems with the show as well. There are times when the pacing is too slow, when it's clear that either something was cut that shouldn't been or else the actors/directors were still feeling their way along. I think a full half-hour could have been cut from the first episode, for example, and the ending of The Message was pretty contrived (that's the only time in the series a tragedy could have been avoided had someone spoke up but didn't). But War Stories is brilliant, The Hero of Canton is one of the best shows I've seen, and Our Mrs Reynolds cracks me up even though I'm saying the words right along with them.

[NOT SPOILERS SO MUCH AS VAGUE (BUT REASONED) IMPRESSIONS]

In the movie, there are some minor plot points that bothered me initially. There are things in it that will really bother some people. And there simply isn't time to give everyone the screen time they deserve. Specific complaints will have to wait until you see the movie.

But it doesn't have the feel of just a big episode. It's epic, as it should be, and many (but not all) questions are answered, even a few you wouldn't have thought to ask.

If you like Whedon's work, I think you'll find this is the finest thing he's ever done. And that's not gushing. All his skills at character development, dialogue, playing on cliches, and giving you humor when you need it most are in full form.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Yeah, what's with the absence of Book? Is he on the cast list?
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ooooh. Finally got to watch. I have predictions (which I won't air here in present company [Wink] ) but I'm sure that you all have come to the same conclusion I have. About River. [Big Grin]

I feel like this is where the series would have eventually gone had it not been cancelled. [Frown] It does feel kind of 'fast forwarded' into the meat of "WHY?" things are the way they are. I would have much preferred a slow, 5 season journey myself.

But alas. The movie looks like it'll be awesome.

Tarrsk
Member # 332

I haven't seen the movie yet (darn screenings sold out too fast), but Book is definitely in the movie. The official Serenity site has a few stills with Book in them.
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
733l
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

From what I've read, this is the story that would have been the story arc of the second season.

And yes, Book is in the movie. All the original cast is there.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Chris, do you have any links to what you've read about that? Are the things you've read interviews with Joss? Whatever they are, I'd love to read them.
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That's from the transcript of the Serenity panel at the San Diego ComiCon last weekend.

"Whedon answered the next question about the differences in the work based on medium by saying that the film offered a more 'epic scale to do lots we couldn't do on the TV show. There were many character threads that I wanted to pursue, that now I can't. Yet. If we're all very good, and they let us do another one, I'll do that. I took the overarching idea I had, that was going to be the first two years of the series, and made that the plot for the movie.'"

While I regularly assault the movie site and FireflyFans.net for updates and general Browncoat love, and there are more fan sites than you could imagine, the easiest place I've found to get article and interview links is Whedonesque.

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I can't think of any major plot points that the trailer reveals that wasn't brought up in the first three episodes. I'd be interested to know what specifically you thought was spoilerish?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.