FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm going to be in LA for Siggraph next weekend!

Author Topic: I'm going to be in LA for Siggraph next weekend!
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this was totally a last-minute decision, but I'm flying out to LA Saturday the 30th for the big 3D and animation conference. I'm thinking I'll be pretty busy, but I don't know for sure, and I know there are a lot of Hatrackers out there... anyone close to the convention center? Anyone have any advice for a small-town bumpkin who's afraid of LA? [Big Grin]

I'm so excited! I'll get to meet some of my classmates and instructors, and maybe get to see one of my bridesmaids for the first time in a year!

[Party]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dabbler
Member # 6443

- posted      Profile for dabbler   Email dabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome. I've only been to LA once.. Beware the traffic! [Smile]

Have fun! Tell us about those parties with l33t people and pretty girls [Wink]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky bastard. I will go to Siggraph one of these years!
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Woo, and I'm going to be helping out at my school's booth, too. Heh, they don't even know I have experience with trade shows, they just want an even gender distribution. [Wink]

I don't know if I'm going to any parties yet... I'm going to my school's Birds of a Feather meeting Monday, the Women in Animation meeting Tuesday, and the CG-Char meeting Wednesday, but evenings so far are free. But I've only known I'm going for a few hours now, so I'm sure I'll take care of the evenings soon enough. [Big Grin]

Wooo, Siggraph! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
It's in Boston next year! That'll make it slightly easier, assuming I'm still in New York.

Maybe I'll volunteer.

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember to lock your car doors. Don't take public transportation unless you have to (it's okay for natives who know where not to go, but it's an awful lot of stops if you get on the wrong bus and end up in a bad part of town.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Very, very, very, very cool! [Big Grin]

Have fun, take pics (to show us!)... and be nice to the locals!

[ July 21, 2005, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Wonder Dog ]

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe I'm the closest to downtown. How long will you be in town for, exactly? I'd love to get together while you're here, if you can spare the time. [Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, and I disagree with kq's advice on public transportation. Especially during the daytime, as long as you have know which bus/train you're supposed to take, and where to get on/off, you should be fine.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*bump*
Zeugma
Member # 6636

Rivka, I'd love to meet you! I'm getting in Saturday afternoon and staying until Thursday morning. So far it looks like Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday will be very busy, but Saturday/Sunday are hinging on whether or not my friend can make it down. I'll let you know when I find out! [Smile]
rivka
Member # 4859

Cool beans. [Smile]

Two things: I have the kids this weekend. So if you're not up to that, just say so. (I don't have them Tuesday night, but you said that's busy.) I am seeing if my sister is available to kidsquish Saturday night, but she's leaving town early next week, so she's likely to say no.

Also, I won't be able to drive anywhere (or be online, or answer the phone) Saturday until late (about 9pm). You are more than welcome to come here, but I'd need to get directions to you sometime today. Sunday is pretty open, though.

rivka
Member # 4859

No go on the babysitting tonight, and you don't have an email address visible in your profile.

Mine is rivka at uclalumni dot net.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Rivka! So I'm in LA now, staying with classmates in Venice. We saw Leonardo DiCaprio (and his goons!) at lunch yesterday. [Big Grin]

I'm pretty much at their mercy for transportation and stuff, and it sounds like they've got a lot in mind for today, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to meet up with you... Unless you feel like touring the conference some time in the next three days! They have neat toys, like 3D printers and smart floors and crazy holographic stuff... or so I'm told. [Smile]

And now I need a nap. [Razz]

rivka
Member # 4859

Oh, you meant THIS weekend! *feels dumb*

I have a vehicle and no chillin' tonight. How tired are you?

Or if your Tuesday night is not completely booked, I will be kid-less then as well.

Zeugma
Member # 6636

Shoot, we just got back from dinner and drinks with some mid-level bigwigs (who mistakenly thought I worked for Sony, heh), and it's time to get some sleep before Siggraph tomorrow! And Tuesday evening I'm going to be going straight from a party to a dinner hosted by my old school, so unless you want to meet around 11 or so... and I can't even guarantee I'll be awake then. Hmmpf... I wish I could stay another day and spend some time with you!

I'm really enjoying LA so far, or at least Venice. We walked down to the beach today and then over to the very cool canals, and at the restaurant tonight I got to chat with one of the guys who worked on lighting and Massive for Lord of the Rings. Oh, and you know those Coke commercials with the bouncing bubbles? One of the people I'm staying with animated the bubbles! [Big Grin]

It's certainly exciting out here, that's for sure... and the conference hasn't even started yet!

rivka
Member # 4859

I'm glad you're having fun! Venice is a lovely area.

I think that late on a Tuesday is unlikely to correspond to me being safe to drive. I'm generally awake then, but not fully. [Wink]

Ah, well. You'll just have to come back another time. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Turns out my free night switched from Tuesday to Wednesday (tonight).

Don't suppose you'd be available tonight?

NdRa
Member # 2295

- posted      Profile for NdRa   Email NdRa         Edit/Delete Post 
So you are in Venice Zeugma? That is my hood. I'm there about 4-5 times a week. Will you be around tomorrow morning? I'll be at Cafe Collage off of Pacific and Windward, near the venice circle tomorrow morning at 9.

*waves at rivka*

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*waves back* [Big Grin] Long time no see, Sandy!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.