FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Which is the greatest rock band of all time? Why? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Which is the greatest rock band of all time? Why?
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
I agree they came in from different directions, but when I listen closely to nevermind (off of which their status as "best of all time" is usually staked) I really can't hear anything that isn't more r.e.m. then anything else. They may have arrived there from an alternate route, and I think they did, but they got to the same place r.e.m. did with arrnagements, style, and even to some degree lyrics.

A lot of people seem to think that Nirvana isn't that great because Nevermind was similar to a lot of other things going on. And I agree on that point. The album was not innovative, but it was decent.

When I recommend Nirvana (who is my favorite band), I tell people to either check out their third studio album, In Utero, or their live album, From the Muddy Banks of the Wiskah. They were a good live band.

I sincerely think that In Utero is a much superior album. Some of the stuff on there truly was different. With that album, I think they redeemed themselves.

If you recall, Kurt himself complained that he felt they'd sold out with Nevermind. But you can't blame them for wanting mainstream success.

Besides, it doesn't matter whether they were really that good or not. They influenced a massive amount of musicians after them.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith, again
Member # 9457

- posted      Profile for Sopwith, again   Email Sopwith, again         Edit/Delete Post 
My Short list, based on who changed the way we listen to Rock and Roll, ushering in new stages in the style.

(Chronological order)
1. Elvis Presley, without him Rock never takes center stage in American music.
2. The Beatles, just don't have to be explained.
3. The Who, the beginnings of arena rock and heavy metal.
4. The Jimmy Hendrix Experience, the electric guitar takes the forefront like never before.
5. The Clash, punk becomes relavent, lyrical and important.
6. U2, a little punk band from Belfast makes rock matter once again.
7. REM, breaks indie rock out of the college circuit and into the mainstream.
8. Nirvana, turns the garage sound into Grunge, puts the coffin nail into hair bands and power ballads.
9. Metallica, sweaty, brooding, frenzied, atavistic rock slouches towards Bethlehem dragging its fans kicking and streamining into the mainstream.

Posts: 45 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

I can agree with that list. However, I'd put Pink Floyd in there some where.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused now. Are we talking about rock groups that have influenced rock music the most, or musicians/groups in general that have influenced rock music the most? Either way, I don't care what you say (<--figure of speech, I do care :heart:), Chuck Berry has got to be in the top of all timers.

Also, I'd include Incesticide and Bleach with Nirvana albums that are better than Nevermind.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Those albums are more similar to the sound on In Utero. I don't usually recommend the CD Bleach because it sounds more like a heavy metal band than the Nirvana that became popular in the 90's. It's good, but I usually suggest they check that one out last.
DevilDreamt
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for DevilDreamt   Email DevilDreamt         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do we start drawing lines?

I know, for example, that the Beatles were influenced heavily by Bob Dylan. Now, Dylan had an impact on rock history in his own right. Does his influence on the Beatles give him more indirect influence on rock? How much credit should an artist be given for influencing the bands that go on to become legendary?

Strangely, I think Bleach is Nirvana's only redeeming album. It's not heavy metal, it's garage punk.

Posts: 247 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I know, for example, that the Beatles were influenced heavily by Bob Dylan. Now, Dylan had an impact on rock history in his own right. Does his influence on the Beatles give him more indirect influence on rock? How much credit should an artist be given for influencing the bands that go on to become legendary?
Simple, all you have to do is say "Chuck Berry wins!" [Big Grin]
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

quote:
Originally posted by DevilDreamt:
Strangely, I think Bleach is Nirvana's only redeeming album. It's not heavy metal, it's garage punk.

It's definitely good. And different. But it's the one that can be the hardest to listen to at first. If you've listened to In Utero and Incesticide, in that order, and liked them. You can probably handle Bleach.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by vonk:
I'm a little confused now. Are we talking about rock groups that have influenced rock music the most, or musicians/groups in general that have influenced rock music the most?

We were talking about my favorite musicians, but people keep changing the subject.
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

Well, my favorite bands seem to coincide mostly with the best bands.
Reshpeckobiggle
Member # 8947

- posted      Profile for Reshpeckobiggle   Email Reshpeckobiggle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's redundant, isn't it?
Posts: 1286 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
natnut
Member # 10408

- posted      Profile for natnut   Email natnut         Edit/Delete Post 
U2

Because they are not a bunch of side-men built around a central decision maker but 4 equal individuals contributing to an organic whole.To me that's the definition of a BAND.

Because they have lived with incredible success for so long without allowing it to compromise the friendships between the band members.

Because they aim to transcend music and actually do something about the world they/we live in rather than just sing about it.

Oh yeah. Because they kick butt both live and in the studio.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.