FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's important to you?

Author Topic: What's important to you?
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I was having a conversation with a new colleague of mine last week, and within about 15 minutes he came right out with the question "What's important to you?" (Neither of us do small talk very well). It struck me as a wonderful question to ask, so I thought I'd ask you all...
So: what's important to you, and why?

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Internet access.
Sorry, I've been setting up the new apartment, so my priorities are rooted in the mundane lately.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Waw ! What is important to me ?
Community is important for me. I dislike to be alone. I always lived with people all the time. My familly is composed of five brothers and sisters (i am the fourth). During my studies, i lived with many friends in campus. And this last year was the first where i live alone.

I need friends. Maybe i need somebody too.

After that, Music is also important for me. I cannot live without it. My head is whole of music.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Great question.

It's important to me that I have highly developed skills so that I can be ingenious in problem solving ... and then its important that I have great friends that I understand and that understand me so that we can be completely goofy together as well as completely serious.

But most importantly ... 'satiable curtiosity ... as long as I have that I know I will be fine with myself and interesting to other people and from those two things everything can flow!

** edit for spelling

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Connections- family, friends, and community. Humor (the ability to find laughter in the smallest of things) and compassion also top my list.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My family and my G'd.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the things I value the most are relationships. Family and friends, those are the things on top of my list. Honesty, loyalty, trust, and respect are all also very important to me.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
My family and my G'd.

Don't you only need to leave out the 'o' when writing on something that can be torn apart or thrown out?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
We don't write G-d's name where it can be destroyed. Posts can be erased, which is the same thing.

Right now, the health and development of my baby is the most important thing to me. My family and friends and my religion are also extremely important to me.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus.
Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
Respect from other people.
Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Meaningful connections with other human beings (friends, sig others, etc), trust, respect, showing some of decency for the people around you.

Things non-human related: books and music, I don't really know where I'd be without them.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting through each day.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Music is the most important thing in my life, above everything and anything else.

And by music, I mean listening to music, writing music, playing music for/to myself, and performing.

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Self-respect. When I earn that, everything else fits into place.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs.M:
We don't write G-d's name where it can be destroyed. Posts can be erased, which is the same thing.

Yeah, what M said.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
Self-respect. When I earn that, everything else fits into place.

That makes a lot of sense to me. If I've got self-respect it means that everything else that's really important is going the way it ought to.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question.

So many things are important to me.

Dana, friends, family, the ability to think, keeping a beat, laughter, my dog, singing...

Would it be okay to say everything is important? It's like when people talk about a "significant other." Are there insignificant others?

so, yeah, everything.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Providing for my family, sustaining and improving the positive relationships in my life, caring for those I love (human and non), living my ideals, and doing whatever brings me joy.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalD
Member # 6222

- posted      Profile for GaalD   Email GaalD         Edit/Delete Post 
"Self-respect. When I earn that, everything else fits into place."

For me, getting the respect of others is more important right now. I know what I can do and I'm proud of it. But it's kind of empty without other people recognizing it as well. (Did that make any sense at all?)

Posts: 853 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Freinds
Music, as I love it deeply
stories

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For me, getting the respect of others is more important right now. I know what I can do and I'm proud of it. But it's kind of empty without other people recognizing it as well. (Did that make any sense at all?)
Having others' respect is definately nice. But to me, it doesn't mean anything unless I agree. If somebody respects me, but I don't respect myself, I will feel grateful for their esteem but I will not feel like I've earned it. I can understand how it would be frustrating to not get the respect of others when you feel like you've earned it, but at least you are proud of yourself. To me, that is most important.

And like Chungwa said, it's a cummulative result of how you're doing in the areas in your life that you truly value. Other people's respect will vary according to their values. I think that if you respect yourself, then you will have the respect of people who value what you value. [Smile]

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:

Other people's respect will vary according to their values. I think that if you respect yourself, then you will have the respect of people who value what you value. [Smile] [/QB]

That's exactly what I was thinking. Granted, I've recently found out that one of my friends has, essentially, stopped respecting me because of a choice I made (a choice I'm very happy with - without going into any details). If I didn't do what I did, I'd have my friend's respect, but I wouldn't have respect for myself.
Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and my kids, and my family. Being able to provide for them, and having a peaceful home.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
On an abstract level, everything boils down to happiness. That's my basis of value.

On a more concrete level, what brings me happiness...

My Husband
STORIES! (movies, books, webcomics, any story!) especially ones that make me feel intense emotion (Even if the emotion is diametrically opposed to happiness =)
Music
Games (especially computer ones)
Being safe.
Food.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Right now, the health and development of my baby is the most important thing to me. My family and friends and my religion are also extremely important to me.
You know, that doesn't stop even after they're born. I really care about my husband, I wouldn't want anything to happen to him. Ever.

But if the apartment was burning, my husband and my baby were both injured and/or trapped, and I knew I only had time to save one, and would have to trust the other to the hands of God and an outside rescue, I'd cry my head off and save the baby. No question. As much as I love my husband, I feel that I am more responsible for and concerned about the health, well-being, and development of my child (someday children) than him.

Which is why I would never stay with an abuser, no matter how much I loved him.

To answer the original question, Mrs. M's response sounds good to me; there are other things in there too, but less important, like expressing myself, finding communities of peers (like Hatrack [Smile] ), and living a good life.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The universe sparkles with beauty, awe, and joy, on every scale from the quantum level all the way up to the whole big shebang and beyond. Being alive is precious and amazing, every instant of it, even the agony. All living things are breathtakingly, heartstoppingly wonderful, especially you.

The most important thing is never ever to forget that, to live each instant with full appreciation of what it is, and to acknowlege each living being for the glorious miraculous person they truly are.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Satisfaction is important to me.

How do I reach satisfaction? By succeeding and exceeding my expectations, and doing things which I feel right about. For instance, writing a poem; posting a post here which is well-taken; enjoying an evening with firends; etc.

*Looks at Noah's post.*

And talking to Noah for many hours next year about music preferences.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:

Music

I don't mean to be rude or prying, but I am really curious. It's not just that your login name is Synesthesia, but also that you have synesthesia, no?

What is music like in the synesthesiac experience? I'll bet it is awesome. For me, I hear the music, and sometimes feel the beat through my body. Do you see colors? Images? Are there scents? Tastes? Different sensations? When I first learned about synesthesia, I was slightly jealous of the richness of experience that must go along with listening to music.

What is it like for you?

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
It's colours in relationship to the key.
It's tastes and smells
and if it's really fantastic music like Dir en grey, it's electricity through the veins, and a bit of shuddering from the cool power of music.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Golly! Does good music taste and smell good and bad music taste and smell bad?
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Mental and emotional peace.

My husband, family, and dogs.

Everything else is just gravy.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
*seconds Tatiana's and Amanecer's posts*

Beauty is everywhere and, re: self-respect/self-love (speaking from experience) if you don't have it, you don't believe anyone else does either, no matter what the evidence, and that is a very sad and lonely way to live.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.