FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Date Lance?

Author Topic: Date Lance?
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is...um.. interesting.

Billboard seeks Wife for Utah Bachelor

Personally, I'd kill any friends that would do something like this to me without my permission.

quote:
So why the concern over Archibald's marital status? As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, whose members typically marry in their early 20s, the 31-year-Archibald is approaching the male-equivalent of an "old maid."
Hmmm.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I saw this and immediately thought, "Man, this guy's going to have to do some explaining to his boyfriend."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I'm not overly concerned about (marriage). I'm pretty happy right now," Archibald said. "I'd like to get married, but it's not a concern."
I like that.

I think this is hilarious.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that to be a horrible invasion of poor Lance's privacy. His reasons for remaining single are his own, and if he wanted to enlist his "friends'" help, he would have.

Sheesh! Mormon yentas! Heavens preserve us!

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I am sure it is a joke. He seems very capable of getting a date on his own - it's his friends' way of making fun of the culture.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The website is cute, even if they can't use apostrophes correctly.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think it's a marketing thing - all of the "friends" are people who work at the company he's at, that do logos and marketing.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kat! He's pretty cute -- maybe your friends should submit your name....

[Smile]

(I agree that this is an advertising/marketing ploy by the company -- hence all the links on the page about their company. And now ABC News and other news agency have just given them all free advertising. Really, it's brilliant)

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

The best part -- note creative use of non-swear words. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I'm not overly concerned about dating. I'm pretty happy right now. I'd like to get married, but it's not a concern.

[Big Grin]

----

He IS definitely cute.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what's sad? I'm more offended by the thought that it might be a marketing ploy than I was by the thought that it was an invasion of a closeted gay guy's personal privacy.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He's also still single at 31...
I'm disturbed by the presence of the word "still" in this sentence. I realize that lots of LDS members marry in their 20s, but the sentence comes before any discussion of his religion -- which to me implies that the author is speaking in the general case at this point. I don't mind it when my mother expresses interest in me being married because she wants grandchildren, but I'm not interested in social pressure. I suppose if one day I'm the only unmarried person in my circle of friends and it becomes an issue I'll have to find some new friends. [Wink]

At least the guy has a healthy attitude about it.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's just a marketing scheme. They're actually reviewing the submissions.

quote:
"As much as we thought it'd be funny, we're serious about this."

Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
31 is an excellent age to still be single! I highly recommend it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Tom, I am more and more starting to think you are secretly LDS. It is possible for someone to be single in their 30s without being gay.
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Tom, I am more and more starting to think you are secretly LDS. It is possible for someone to be single in their 30s without being gay.

I should hope so!
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't look like Lance is an unwilling participant in this. Unless those were photos he had laying around his desk. If that were the case, I'd give Tom's diagnosis a second.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
If my 'friends' did that to me, my retaliation would be swift and complete.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
My first thought upon seeing this thread, was "what does Sheryl Crow have to say about that?"

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

mt, the site answers your question. See the FAQs.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

It is possible for someone to be single in their 30s without being gay.

Oh, absolutely. But this guy's a former basketball player, a former missionary, handsome, well-groomed, and a Mac-using Director of Marketing who consented to being used as a stock photo model and speaks of "being happy" but "wanting to be married." Major gaydar alert.

(To be honest, though, almost all the Mormon guys I know personally trip my gaydar something fierce. So it might just be my own hangups. *grin*)

katharina
Member # 827

I don't see how any of those things trip "gay", unless you think that the only way someone could be healthy, happy, and single at the same time is if they were.

Which trips my married-young Modar. *grin*

mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, is there something you want to tell us? We're all friends here [Evil]
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*laugh* It's just that, historically, my ability to guess whether someone is or is not homosexual has been fairly accurate -- speaking anecdotally, of course. It's been my experience that I can rely on this sense in most social situations -- although, admittedly, three of the four times I can recall having been wrong about this involved Mormon men.
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of Lance Armstrong too AJ. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, at the OSC signing, someone asked OSC about how he understood his female characters. His response was basically that growing up he was "one of the girls" (he elaborated a bit more but that is what it boiled down to) Maybe it is only in the LDS culture, that this doesn't equal gay. Obviously I can be "one of the guys" and mostly straight. But, when he said that, I realized my own framework doesn't necessarily allow reciprocity for straight guys.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's restricted to LDS culture. I've known plenty of guys that are always "one of the girls" who are not gay or LDS. I think it has more to do with how comfortable people feel around their own gender. I, a girl, have always connected better with guys. Girls seem so much more judgmental than guys. I've talked to guys that hang out with all girls, and they seem to feel the same way about guys. I think that many people really are more judgmental of their own gender and more understanding of the opposite. My two cents.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this, Katie, and immediately thought, "Gee, I hope Katie's boss knows what would happen to him if he tried to do something like this to her..."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.