FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Famous and gone too soon (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Famous and gone too soon
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I started thinking about something while I was watching Live 8. I saw bits and pieces of one of those 8 hour blocks a few weekends ago, and there were some really great performances, along with some real crap. But when I was watching some of my favorite old bands, I couldn't help noticing how many former members were missing. I saw McCartney without Lennon, The Who without Moon or Entwistle, and of course Pink Floyd, playing the song they wrote for their departed comrade Syd. I don't remember most of these peoples' deaths, but I have been around for some famous passings. It never really seems like they're gone until several years later. Then I finally realize that their unique vision of the world will never be expressed again.

Anyway, it put me in the mind of a game. If you were granted a wish to restore one person who you did not know personally back to the timeline, have them live out a full natural life, and remove all the implications of their death (i.e. Syd Barrett, who had a great deal of potential, but may have prevented Wish You Were Here or Dark Side of the Moon from being made if he'd survived), who would you pick and why?

The person could be famous in any field... music, movies, politics, literature, theatre, science, etc. But if you knew them personally, they're disqualified.

I have a choice in mind, but I'm not going to put it down just yet. I want to see if anyone can make me change my mind. [Smile]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to see what Jesus would have done with a few more years in him.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby Kennedy. I think he would have been president and done some interesting things.

I was going to say JFK--then I realized that I would prefer to see what Bobby would do.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*claps hands on ears to drown out the dinging*

I'd love to see what would have happened with Julius Caesar. He had a lot of good ideas, and I get the feeling he was just getting started.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

What kind of things do you think Bobby would have done? Not an argument, I could just use the history lesson. [Smile]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly...I'm really not that sure. I get that from a conversation I had with my brother many years ago. He thought that Bobby Kennedy would have been a good president, and that if he had lived, a completely different line of presidents would have been elected after him as well.

I don't actually remember his reasons, but I remember the conversation was compelling enough that he is my choice.. [Smile]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Syd's not dead.

And I mean this seriously, not in a "Jim Morrison is living it up in the Sachelles" kind of way.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

Wow... I just checked with Wikipedia, and apparently you're right. I'm shocked. I was sure that he'd died decades ago. And I thought I heard Roger saying something about his death at the Live 8 show.

I stand corrected.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

I did a doubletake, because I though maybe he had died within the last year and I hadn't heard of it.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Not exactly in line... but I wonder what would have happened had Beethoven not gone deaf.... would his 9th symphony (arguably the best piece of music, ever) been even better? or would it never have been written?

I'm gonna go with Socrates, though... there's a lot of knowledge and understanding that developed through his school of thought, and it'd be very interesting to see what would have happened with a few more years under their master.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree on the Bobby Kennedy answer, but getting back to music, and throwing my own out there: Harry Chapin. He made so much great music that means so much to me, and he seemed to really be getting going when he died.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna skip world leaders and just say 'Sam Cooke'.

He was a beautiful musician, and was gunned down in his early 30's.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree with Icarus. Harry Chapin was a heck of a songwriter. And where would Rock 'n' Roll have gone had Buddy Holly not taken that last flight?
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I know you will find this very disappointing, but... SYD IS ALIVE, DUDE!

Rumors say he's sick and depressed, though.

Let's give the guy a Hatrack group-hug

(((Syd))) [Group Hug]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I can post all my secrets here, and I know that they're safe from Beanny, who, after all, will not read them.

[Evil]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

[Laugh]

Chapin's a good choice. So is Hendrix. Look at how much Clapton's skill and artistry matured between the early 70s and now. Then imagine if Hendrix had done the same.

And Janice, just because she's, well, Janice. Oh, that voice.

Beanny
Member # 7109

Oh, and who would I bring back from the dead?

Binyamin Theodore Herzl, founder of the Jewish Congress who layed the founations of the Jewish state yet to come. I just think he deserves to see the results of devoting his life to a dream he did not live to see come true. I also think he'd be quite heplful in the current situation.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I can post all my secrets here, and I know that they're safe from Beanny, who, after all, will not read them.

[Evil]

I see you're jelaous. That's completely understandable. After reading the lovely thread dedicated to you without commenting, you deserve a big, fat, fluffy hug from me.

([{([{([{([{Icarus}])}])}])}])

And I'll throw a party for you too! [Party]

Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph Smith
Albert Einstein
Douglas Adams

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Dag, it's funny because it's true! [Big Grin]

-o-

quote:
Binyamin Theodore Herzl, founder of the Jewish Congress who layed the founations of the Jewish state yet to come. I just think he deserves to see the results of devoting his life to a dream he did not live to see come true.
That's kind of a recurring motif in Judaism, eh?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah. Only Dag's secrets are safe here. [Razz] [Wink]
Beanny
Member # 7109

(((((sarcastic and bitter Icarus)))))

I like you just the way you are!

Beanny
Member # 7109

Oh, I wouldn't dare read Dagonee's secrets. Dag is scary. He'll press charges against me and have me locked up with Granny Weatherwax. The only thing I'll be capable of donig is sitting in the corner and trying to think happy thoughts.
Icarus
Member # 3162

By the way, I'm sorry you think I'm "bitter" (though I don't know what about). I used plenty of smilies to indicate that I was kidding, but, whatever.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in what a longer life span would have held for MLK. It would be so fascinating to actually be able to compare a timeline where he didn't die with this one. Would you call him a martry? Would he have had a greater or lesser impact if he had lived. Cool thread btw.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

{{{{Not-bitter-and-didn't-understand-that-I-was-joking-even-though-I-didn't-add-a-smiley Icarus}}}}

From now on I'll try to be more sensitive!

IdemosthenesI
Member # 862

- posted      Profile for IdemosthenesI   Email IdemosthenesI         Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander Hamilton, anyone?
Posts: 894 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
George Gershwin, John Lennon, Jimmy Hendrix, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr, Abraham Lincoln, Jesus, Joseph Smith Jr.

[Smile]

[ July 25, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it have to be a person? Can I say I wish George Lucas' vision hadn't died a premature death? Or that Cyberpunk hadn't died so fast?

[Razz]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Alexander the Great.
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
That space was not NEARLY large enough, Beanny. You need to make it much, much bigger, and then hide the name in the middle of a paragraph. If someone didn't want to be spoiled, they would have been anyway. It's unavoidable. Please.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

<---spoiled

[Cry]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
John the Revelator.

And thank you very, very much, Beanny. [Mad]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Dear Icarus and "advice for robots",

I am deeply sorry for spoiling the book for you. I was sure I did the spoiler sign safe enough, and clearly I haven't. I had no evil intentions, but was definitely quite careless. I apologize.

That post was deleted so no other Hatrackers will have to face your situation. I haven't read SotG yet (no English copies of it where I live), if you seek vengeance I will most agreeingly face the concequences to my blunder.

Sincerely yours,
Beanny

Icarus
Member # 3162

Haven't read SOTG yet? Then you don't know about how Bean left Petra to become a Catholic priest? Wow.

Oh,

SPOILER ABOVE!

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Music: Harry Nilsson, although Hendrix is a good choice too.
John Lennon...

US Historical figures:
Lincoln -- a postwar, past president would've been interesting.
MLK -- would he have forced race relations to be healthier than they were in his absence?
JFK and RFK both would've been good to be a part of.

Other Historical/Artistic Figures:
Jesus -- an 80 year old Jesus talking about "in MY day..." [ROFL]
Methuselah: C'mon, just a few more years and he'd've made it to quadruple digits. What a gyp!

Personal:
My dad. Died at 40. I often wonder what our relationship would be like today. I imagine we'd be great friends making puns constantly and driving my poor mother up the wall.
[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus: Jerk! [Mad]
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, thanks for RUINING MY LIFE.

j/k :) No, really, it didn’t surprise me a bit. I’ll still enjoy the book when I get around to reading it. No worries, mate.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Just for clarification - I didn't spoil the book that stupidly.

Icarus - I don't believe you. Bean would never do that.

Edit: "advice for robots" - was your post related to Icarus or to me?

[ July 25, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Wow... I just checked with Wikipedia, and apparently you're right. I'm shocked. I was sure that he'd died decades ago. And I thought I heard Roger saying something about his death at the Live 8 show.

I stand corrected.

Maybe you have more power than you knew, and your wish just came true! [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
I just think he deserves to see the results of devoting his life to a dream he did not live to see come true.
That's kind of a recurring motif in Judaism, eh?
Shouldn't it be a recurring theme in every society? Should we not all be planting (metaphorical as well as literal) trees for our grandchildren?

My vote is for Gilda Radner.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

touché.
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am with Bob MLK would be nice
My posts apparently vanish into the ether. [Wink]
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to third Robert Kennedy.

I think it would have changed the course of history had Lincoln not been assassinated.

I think it would have been really interesting if Woodrow Wilson had lived a few more years.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
I think it would have been really interesting if Woodrow Wilson had lived a few more years.
Yeah. The US would own half of Latin America. [Roll Eyes]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

While I appreciate the 'rolling eyes' which always speak volumes, can you elaborate? Was not aware he was complicit in taking over Latin American countries. I was thinking more along the lines of seeing an effective League of Nations instituted which would have been interesting.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
While I appreciate the 'rolling eyes' which always speak volumes, can you elaborate?
[ROFL]

Okay, fair enough. Put simply, if I am not mistaken (and I'm pretty sure I'm not), no US president invaded Latin American countries more than Woodrow Wilson.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second a lot of the world leaders already mentioned and then quickly move on to entertainment:

Douglas Adams, for obvious reasons.
Bill Hicks. Hilarious and outspoken comedian. I'd love to hear him rant about the current state of the US, considering all his jokes about the previous president Bush and the previous Iraq war.
Hunter S. Thompson. Okay, a lot of people say his suicide was no surprise because he was a drug-crazed madman. He was still a brilliant writer, and he never seemed like a downer, depressive, end-it-all sort of person, so I don't think it's that simple.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Sigh. O.K. I'll google.

I was suprised by your comment because Wilson has always been potrayed by most historians as a champion of little countries and peoples.

http://www.americanpresident.org/history/woodrowwilson/

quote:

Aggressive Policies

In foreign affairs, Wilson was determined to revise the imperialist practices of earlier administrations, promising independence to the Philippines and making Puerto Ricans American citizens. But Wilson's own policies could sometimes be high-handed. His administration intervened militarily more often in Latin America than any of his predecessors.

Not 'bad' to me with some good.

More informational is this link.

Again, looks to be mostly for the good, with Wilson not bent on conquest but aiding liberation.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.