FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Famous and gone too soon (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Famous and gone too soon
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, am not saying Wilson is some perfect paragon of virtue.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Another nominee, but not because they did anything GOOD: Lee Harvey Oswald. It would have been nice if he'd lived long enough to actually stand trial and make some statements, instead of getting shot.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
From your link:

quote:
These were Wilson's only successes in Latin American relations, however. The rest of his dealings with South, Central, and Caribbean American countries largely failed, and many of them even resulted in bloodshed. Wilson's attempt to help Nicaraguan rebels eventually required him to occupy the country by force in 1914. The same blunder occurred in Haiti in 1915 and the Dominican Republic in 1916, when Wilson eventually sent in American troops to occupy the islands. During Wilson's Presidency, the United States also purchased the Virgin Islands from Denmark. It is ironic that despite his loathing of imperialism and his deep belief in self-determination, Wilson resorted to military action in Latin America just as his predecessors had.
Although Wilson had problems in the Caribbean, his greatest challenge came from Mexico.

From wikipedia:

quote:
Between 1914 and 1918 the United States invaded or intervened in Latin America many times, particularly in Mexico, Haiti, Cuba, and Panama. The U.S. maintained troops in Nicaragua throughout his administration and used them to select the president of Nicaragua and then to force Nicaragua to pass the Bryan-Chamorro Treaty. American troops in Haiti forced the Haitian legislature to choose the candidate Wilson selected as Haitian president. After Haiti refused to declare war on Germany, Wilson had Haiti's government dissolved and then forced a new, less democratic constitution on Haiti through a sham referendum. American soldiers also expelled small farmers from their lands to work in chain gangs on public works projects and transferred the land to plantation owners. In 1919, Haitians rose up in rebellion against the Americans, resulting in 3,000 deaths. Gleijesus (1992) notes: "It is not that Wilson failed in his earnest efforts to bring democracy to these little countries. He never tried. He intervened to impose hegemony, not democracy."
(Note also his words of praise for Birth of a Nation and his success as a recruiting tool for the KKK.)

(Incidentally, wikipedia seems to be plagiarized by just about every other "informative" site out there--unless, of course, it's the other way around.)

This site also talks about how his Latin American and Carribean policy was a failure.

Haven't you expressed disagreement with Bush's policies in Iraq? Wilson seems like a Bush clone to me. In fact, after I had that thought, I found this article drawing the same comparison.

From PBS:

quote:
Far from making the world safe for democracy, Woodrow Wilson and the U.S. Congress so compromised the principle during 1918-1920 that informed observers (and leading Wilsonians) such as Walter Lippmann developed a realist worldview to demonstrate why democratic systems were dangerous as either the originators or objectives of foreign policy.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Interesting. I will keep your points in mind, but I'm not sure that they tell the whole story. I'm not saying they're wrong, i'm just not sure they don't have a certain slant to them that might not be providing the whole picture.

I am aware that Wilson is a product of his time and his culture, and your information definitely casts him in a more negative light, but I still think though the implementation was flawed, the idea that America can be a force for change is a good idea, and that America should be pro-active as a force for good deserves serious consideration. Certainly, I think it's a far better idea than just sitting behind fortress America and letting things run their course.

I have expressed some disagreement with the Bush camp as to how effective invading Iraq and Afghanistan might be in reducing terrorism and as to whether it is the best thing to do to grow democracies, but I do think the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan have the potential to be good things for Iraqis and Afghanis. In other words, I'm open to the idea of invasion if it leads to greater good--democracy, freedom, standard of living, what have you.

Don't you think that helping to overthrow Castro and start democracy in Cuba might be a good idea?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

The thing is, Castro would never have been able to keep control in Cuba if not for the Platt Ammendment, which the US forced Cuba at gunpoint to adopt in its constitution. Wilson is not responsible for that; it's before his time. But he is in part responsible for the "Platt Ammendment Mentality," because he invoked it so many times. His constant meddling (and that of Roosevelt and others) made Cuba weak for democracy because it demoralized any tendency toward homegrown democracy.

So overthrowing Castro? Well, it would just seem like cleaning up the mess the US did so much to help create.

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I am not clear from your post whether you think the U.S. should meddle some more and help to overthrow Castro or whether meddling will further make Cuba weak for democracy.
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't have a strong opinion on the question of whether the US should invade Cuba to create a democracy right now, because I perceive the issue as being ridiculously far from being on the table. I would say the US should have meddled less in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries (especially the twentieth). Having already meddled so much, the US should have held true to their pattern of behavior when Cubans felt sure that they would depose an obviously communist dictator (basically, seeing as how Cuba was a de facto teritory of the US up until Castro), or at the very least, not have betrayed the attackers in the Bay of Pigs. I also think Kennedy should never have made a promise that was outside of his right to make in order to bring "resolution" to the Cuban Missile Crisis.

If there were seriously a consideration of invading Cuba right now for the express purpose of setting up a democracy, intellectually I would lean against it (though perhaps not in my heart) because I don't think you can create democracy effectively by ignoring the sovereignty of nations.

If an invasion were to be mounted as a way to end/punish the numerous human-rights violations under Castro, then I would be a little more open to it, but I would tend to oppose such an invasion if it were done unilaterally (or virtually unilaterally) because I think this would lead to a further puppetization of any countrry being aided in this way. If we want to take out brutal regimes, I think that's a good goal, but we need to have the world on our side. (And think about when we plan to take out China.)

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Cool. [Smile]

I generally agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Icarus
Member # 3162

And I agree with you that good can come of the Iraq invasion and hope that it does, while I do not care for the circumstances under which we invaded or the precedents we established.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Abraham Maslow. His death was a tragedy that robbed the world of one of it's best minds. He was in full stride and had gotten himself into a great position and then *poof* he's dead.

Bejamin Franklin. Sure, he lived to a ripe old age, but if there's anyone who deserved a shot of the old partial immortality so that they could be alive today, it'd be old Ben.

Alan Turing. Yeah, he really helped us win World War II and revolutionized the world of information theory and pretty much (with appolgies to Charles Babbage) invented the computer, but he was gay. So let's hound him to death. On such things are our super-genuises destroyed.

Chaim Potok. This is as close to the original point of the thread I'll get. Knowing that there will be no more of his books to read makes me sad.

On a Hatrack note, we (and the rest of the world) lost Centurion way too soon.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Rerailing the thread:

Jon-Erik Hexum and Kevin Smith

arevoj
Member # 7347

- posted      Profile for arevoj   Email arevoj         Edit/Delete Post 
Raul Julia
Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah, yes. [Frown]
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
::lifts a glass to Centurion::

In terms of political figures, I'd go with Yitzhak Rabin. I could be wrong, but I felt very optimistic that the changes he was making were actually going to do something to help bring about peace in Israel, and I mourned his death.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Obannon, if he hadn't have died, Indiana might still have a democratic governor.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with many of the choices made so far, but the one that actually invoked an emotional reaction was Douglas Adams. He wasn't very prolific, but everything he wrote was pure gold. If only to see the finished version of The Salmon of Doubt, and to see how the Hitchhikers Guide movie would have come out if he'd been around to continue his fight with the studios, it would be worth it.

[ July 27, 2005, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Speed ]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

erg . . . . there is nothing I could say that would not be classless, so I'll shut up.
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
But if Jesus lived till he was 80, he could have died on any shape! Can you imagine if he passed out and hit his head on a dodecahedron floor tile? Think of how much more iron would be used across the world in the building of dodecahedrons for churches! We'd be running low! Madness I tell ya!
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I find it depressing that as a culture we mourn the death of entertainers much more than almost anyone else. I remember a space on Hatrack where I was expecting a "Shirley Chisholm has died thread" but she just wasn't as important as people like that guy who used to be on Law and Order. Our values are broken.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

I don't think you've got the right of it this time. I don't think it's celebrity worship, or we'd be hearing about a lot more athletes, for instance. I think people are talking about entertainers as artists, and it seems not-inappropriate to me, because artists can touch us on a personal level, while political figures typically do not. So I'm sad that Harry Chapin and River Phoenix, say, didn't live to be older not because I am unaware of history or don't value MLK, but because these performers, while not as earth-moving, affected me more personally.

Also, this is a thread (ostensibly) about people who died too soon. This is not uncommon with entertainers, but politicians tend to not make it to the top until they've been around for a while. In general, then, we don't tend to know about the ones who "died too soon." The ones we do know about tend, in more cases, to have lived long lives, and therefore not fit the topic. (This is not simply a "mourning famous people who have died" thread.)

Finally, you have posted twice now to sneer at the topic. I think that's kind of rude.

Speed
Member # 5162

I don't know about that, Squicky. Art is the way people connect with the rest of humanity. Scientists and politicians are very important. But artists can connect with people in a way that other public figures can't. When someone who helped us learn about our own humanity and our place in the world through their art dies, there's bound to be an emotional reaction. It doesn't lessen the importance of the people who contributed to society in other ways, on a large scale or a small scale. It's just a different kind of experience.

When Shirley Chisholm and Johnny Carson die around the same time, I have a stronger emotional reaction to losing the person I spent every night with when I was going through high school. It has nothing to do with values. It has to do with the human experience, and being honest with myself about it.

[edit: I bow to your fast fingers, Ic]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone say Mitch Hedberg yet?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

ehhh...while I'm not going to say that the reason you offered aren't also in play, there is a great deal of celebrity worship and it's attendent self-centeredness in this. People don't mourn the performer as a person so much as they mourn the loss of the performances. I see a lot of what's been said as equivilent to the idea that players on your professional sports team give a darn about you. It's a poor place to put value in your life.

This shallowness and egocentricity is to me one of the central sickness of American society. Celebrity worship is, to me, one of the more visibly distasteful aspects of it.

Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

[ July 26, 2005, 01:18 AM: Message edited by: Zemra ]

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that it should be Princess Diana. She was involved with charities working to help children, homeless people and AIDS sufferers, as well as with the campaign to ban land mines.

[ July 26, 2005, 01:17 AM: Message edited by: Zemra ]

Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
People don't mourn the performer as a person so much as they mourn the loss of the performances.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here . . . or what the point is. Of course we moan the loss of the performance: it's precisely through the performance that these performers touched us. It's not like we know any of these famous people as actual human beings. Heck, in the last year, I've heard stunningly negative things about Ghandi, Thomas Jefferson, MLK, and Abraham Lincoln as people. Are they true? Beats me. Their private pecadillos are nowhere near as relevant to me as the effect their lives have on me. The same is true for the artist.

As far as self-centeredness, that seems like an easy criticism to throw out in a thread that asks people to reflect on what they personally wish there had been more of, but I'm not sure there is any relevance to the charge. Am I "self-centered" because I miss my grandmother? Well, technically, I guess the answer is "yes," but that doesn't make it wrong, or suggest that I care less about others than I should.

Sometimes it really is acceptable to indulge your own feelings.

I agree with you about the excesses of our celebrity-obsessed culture. But I don't agree that this thread is inherently symptomatic of that disorder.

Speed
Member # 5162

There's a bit of hypocrisy evident in anyone who has 3000+ posts on a famous author's cultural forums coming down on people who appreciate the work of celebrities.

There's a wide range of activities that could be defined as "celebrity worship". One definition could be buying all the trashy tabloids and obsessing over who's dating Tom Cruise, or what Britney Spears wore to the grocery store. Another definition could be immersing oneself in the work of a skilled and famous artist, and letting their work change how you think about life. Not a lot of people on this forum "worship" celebrities by the first definition. But by the second definition, I dare say everyone here, along with everyone in any part of the world where fame has a meaning, has engaged in some form of "celebrity worship." It's not a cultural thing. It's a human experience thing.

I'd say, though, that it's a bit misleading to use a term more fitting one thing to describe the other. It also seems somewhat... well I don't want to start throwing out words that would turn this discussion personal, but there's something amiss in feeling that your appreciation for Star Wars, Chaim Potok and Douglas Adams are somehow more noble or intelligent than another person's appreciation for Harry Chapin or Jimi Hendrix.

CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Pedro Zamora, from the third MTV "Real World." [Frown] He was many, many young people's first exposure to a real (to them) person with HIV.

He moved us forward much, but I think we would have moved faster if he hadn't died. And I wish he could have had a longer life to enjoy. Way, way, way too short.

[*toasts with Noemon [Frown] ]

[ July 26, 2005, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: CT ]

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I remember a space on Hatrack where I was expecting a "Shirley Chisholm has died thread" but she just wasn't as important as people like that guy who used to be on Law and Order. Our values are broken.
This is a fairly constant theme in your posts, Squick: that paying attention to one thing implies a lack of appreciation or acknowledgment for the other.

Did you start a Chisholm thread? Or did you just file away the little bit of information that nobody else did to be used later in your sneering?

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Icarus,
I think I was folding my "People seem to regard performers as their own dancing monkeys." complaint into this. To hopefully make it clearer, it the difference between "I love you." meaning "I understand aand cherish the person that you are." and "I enjoy the things you do for me."

When people mourn the death of an entertainer, they are usually mouring their loss of things that'll entertain them. It's not that these people were taken too young, but rather that I want more jokes or songs or whatever.

The orientation that entertainment is the most important thing is the self-centeredness and shallowness that I'm decrying. I'd go so far as to say that the problem starts first when you find entertainers as prominent people to form emotional attachments to.

From my perspective, this thread in many ways displays the idea that entertainers are more important than everyone else. This is obviously something that is pushed heavily in our culture. I'm saying that not only do some people not think this way, but that some find it a really bad way to think.

You may have a different perspective on what's going on in this thread. I can respect that, but I still hold to my perspective.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Why would I start a Shirley Chisholm tribute thread? That's not the sort of thing I do. It was just for me another example of the orientation of many people here. And yes, I'm always filing away information about the social contexts that I find myself in.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
And the fact that it's not the sort of thing other people do doesn't mean people here find her less important than Jerry Orbach. It means that Jerry Orbach's death is more the type of thing that's discussed here.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

And this ties into the fact that I said I saw it as an example of a prevelant attitude. It was hardly the sole example of the attitude that I'm talking about.
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you start that sort of thread, Squicky? By refraining from starting that sort of thread, aren't you part of the problem? You say you don't do that, but you do criticize other for also not doing it. Isn't it better to build something yourself than to criticize other people for not building it?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
To further support the theory that entertainers are more important to my self-centered perspective of the world, here's a few that I don't think were mentioned yet in no specific order:

Chris Farley
Kurt Cobain
Jason Matthew Thirsk
Eric Blair (George Orwell)
Ernest Hemingway
Charles Dickens
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Van Gogh
Darth Vader

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

quote:
Isn't it better to build something yourself than to criticize other people for not building it?
Well said [Smile]
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

For much the same reason I don't post a landmark. I generally don't personally appreciate the "so and so has died" threads and don't feel like posting them. I did however find it somehwat depressing that I belong to community that finds Jerry Orbach's death a much more comment worthy topic than Shirley Chisholm's.

Can people understand why that would be?

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Why would I start a Shirley Chisholm tribute thread? That's not the sort of thing I do. It was just for me another example of the orientation of many people here.

Ah. So you're disappointed in yourself for not starting a Shirley Chisholm tribute thread? Or are you disappointed in all those other people out there who cared about Shirley Chisholm who, like you, didn't start a tribute thread?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

I'm disappointed that that substantial subset of the Hatrack population who values tribute threads found Jery Orbach and the like a much more fitting subject of such a thread than Shirley Chisholm. I was certainly not under the impression that there weren't people on Hatrack that honored Shirley on hearing of her passing. But I was disappointed in the presented social standard of entertainers being of more worth to many people here, which I saw this as an example of.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the demographic of "people who mourned Shirley Chisholm" does not substantially intersect the "people who make tribute threads when someone dies" demographic.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Which is fine and not at all out of line with what I said. Actually, that pretty much is what I've said, although I added the idea that the group of people who value and make tribute threads is a large one.
camus
Member # 8052

So you're making a generalization about the prevalent attitude of all the people here based on what type of threads are started, yet you refrain from starting your own threads regarding things that you believe in?
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

No, that's not at all an accurate description of what's going on.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:
although I added the idea that the group of people who value and make tribute threads is a large one.
So perhaps tribute threads are not the best way to determine what a community really values? After all, presumably you really valued Shirley Chisholm, and yet started no tribute thread.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

They are not exhaustive, but they do indicate the values of some significant section of the community. Were there no tribute threads for semi-famous actors and other assorted celebrities, I'd wouldn't conclude anything from there not being a tribute thread for other people. But having those, the absence of tributes to other people does indicate a relative valuing, at the very least in terms of who is worthy of a tribute thread, among the people who are involved in such threads.

And, as I've said, this is merely an easily demonstrable example of something I see in the social context here. That's not to say that all people here fit this description, but rather that I see this in a significant number of people.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know who Shirley Chisholm is. The only reason I know who Jerry Orbach is is that I've overheard coworkers who watched Law & Order talking about him.
Incorporate that into your respective social theories however you like.

I think with political and social leaders, a few major ones were said early on that most everybody says "ditto" but then entertainers get named because more people have a favorite actor who died than a favorite politician who died. Not that this means much either way, I'm just sayin'.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Syd Barett is alive.

Many people think he died, but he is seriously mentally ill.

Edit: oops, sorry, old news.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Musician I would love to see now: Nick Drake.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

quote:

But having those, the absence of tributes to other people does indicate a relative valuing, at the very least in terms of who is worthy of a tribute thread, among the people who are involved in such threads.

What percentage of Hatrack do you believe starts tribute threads?
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy Kaufman.

The man practically revolutionized performing arts. If he were able to live out a full life, i think we would have seen even greater performances, perhaps lasting ones.

Maybe not deep, but that's my choice.

Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.