FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Formal separates - Top has been found. Now discussing hair and jewelry. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Formal separates - Top has been found. Now discussing hair and jewelry.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Not the same as the gorgette blouse, but what about this one? (Yes, it'd probably need caps put in the sleeves) This one is also beautiful, but not what you're looking for. [Razz]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2846953&cm_ven=bizrate&cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=tops:women:blouse%2ftop&cm_ite=kay_celine_seamed_lace_top:137444&dt=07-25-05
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Would something like this work with the color of the skirt do you think?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Oh, pretty! I'm not sure about it matching the skirt, but I do like the top.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0006TTTVQ/sz-other-20/ref%3Dnosim/103-6985087-3826204

Maybe that in black?

I'd have to alter the sleeves here, and it might be too short: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009J77DK/sr=1-4/qid=1122415794/ref=sr_1_4/103-6985087-3826204?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=14166101&s=apparel&v=glance

ludosti
Member # 1772

That's pretty.

I wish I knew what color your skirt was so I would know how a black top would look with it.

Could you find any color close here so we'd have a better idea?

katharina
Member # 827

I'm wondering why I can't find a similar one out there. Maybe because its summer - I got the skirt during the winter originally. I'll look for a picture.
ludosti
Member # 1772

What kind of fabric/shape is the skirt also?
katharina
Member # 827

It's an A-line, with netting to make it stand out a little. If I twirl, it swirls a little, but isn't full enough to do the really satisfactory swing-dance swirl. It goes to the floor, so my black silk heels are three inches high.

Which, incidentally, is why I currently do not have a date. I should go with the other guy in the group who isn't attached, but he's two inches shorter than me. Very nice and extremely smart, but shorter. This is actually a bigger deal to him than me, but even I don't want to end up five inches taller.

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what fabric you're talking about. Is it shiny blue, but with black woven into it so the backside of the fabric is black? Kind of irridescent blue-black?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

dana, yes, exactly. The netting underneath is black attached to black satinsomething. Would white still be okay with that?
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
I can hardly see words right now, I just got my eyes dilated, so I haven't looked at any of the last two hours of suggestions. But, here's a black top on HSN. On sale.

Item # 381-741 http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1976805&web_id=1980721&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&ocm=sekw

Or this one, in black Item Number: 338-342:
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1973242&web_id=1973246&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&ocm=sekw

Or in Ivory Item Number A58388 ?
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FisItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=silk+top&SearchClass=&Submit4=Go

[ July 26, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: Theaca ]

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
White would be stunning with that, particularly a luxe white satin. [Smile] I know the fabric, too. I'd like a very bright white, although I suppose an off-white could be okay. I have a pair of blue velvet pants in that sort of color, and used to wear then with a crisp white slim-cut men's dress shirt, with french cuffs. Much more casual than what you're going for, but it really worked.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
White would be fine. Or black. I think the top Theaca linked would be gorgeous. Or, you know, the two I linked on the previous page. [Wink]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
Blue kind of like this?

Then yeah, a crisp white.

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I was picturing a deeper blue. More royal, less sky.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Oh, and here are some HSN/QVC ones that come in white.

Item Number: 670-786 in white
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1945315&web_id=1945322&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&ocm=sekw

Item Number: 670-966 in white
http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/default.aspx?webp_id=1945371&web_id=1945372&sz=0&sf=&dept=&cat=&subcat=&gs=&attr=&ocm=sekw

Item Number A60341
http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest=%2Fasp%2FisItemNumberRedirect.asp&search=SQ&frames=y&referrer=QVC&txtDesc=white+silk&SearchClass=0009&Submit4=Go

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
I have a pair of blue velvet pants in that sort of color, and used to wear then with a crisp white slim-cut men's dress shirt, with french cuffs. Much more casual than what you're going for, but it really worked.

I know that look, and I think it's awesome. And with an A-line rather than a real ballgown swirly skirt, I think the clean, tailored lines would go great. And tailoring is good for the busty, too.

What do you think of this? (More streamlined than the prior one you liked, Kat, and it comes in size 12. Just needs caps and maybe a camisole.) I like the lines of it much better than this. Best of all would be something yet more tailored, like a man's shirt (as what ElJay wore), only maybe a touch dressier?

Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Whoa. That's elegant.
CT
Member # 8342

Yeah. I really liked that one, but I initially ditched it because of the sleeve issue. But if that can be solved, then cool.

I'd love to find something like this, but in white and with maybe a little less fuss. More like the one in the Victorian Trading link.

Edit: Still love the cowlneck lines above best out of the bunch I've linked, though. I look good in a wide draped neck with collarbones showing.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Speaking of Rivka, I bet she has a good source for modest tops. She seems pretty stylish.

[Kiss] Thanks. Trouble is, Rivka shops plus-size, and Katie doesn't need that. And the main other source I'm familiar with, tznius.com (which also does business as modestclothing.com), seems to be in a primarily-clearance-and-extremely-limited-stock-and-sizes mode at the moment.

Too bad, I rather like this shirt.

Oh, and when I have money to throw around, I am so getting one of these necklaces! They even have my name in the display (style B). [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

cute tailored white with hook & eye closures, but size 2. They say bust 26-40", but I wouldn't trust 'em.

Also nice, but may be too dressed-down. And bust 34-40" on a petite small? Heh, heh.

rika: I love that site. [Smile]

[ July 26, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

Diana Bailey
Member # 8313

- posted      Profile for Diana Bailey   Email Diana Bailey         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka's Mom wore an absolutely gorgeous beaded top with a long blue skirt at her wedding. I decided long ago that I would shamelessly follow her example if either of my children got married (not yet, but perhaps someday).Maybe she could send you a picture.

Good luck. I dress conservatively too, but I love fashion and clothes.

Posts: 42 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Diana Bailey:
Rivka's Mom wore an absolutely gorgeous beaded top with a long blue skirt at her wedding. Maybe she could send you a picture.

I could, but it wouldn't help much. It was actually a one-piece dress (although it looked like a two-piece) and it was fairly expensive -- even for Loehman's sale prices.

It was also cursed. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

Two I sort of like from Overstock.com, both @ $27.99; here and here. Both still fussier than I'd like, though.

Also the 4th blouse here (concert attire, $36.95), but I want to see a close-up.

[ July 26, 2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: CT ]

CT
Member # 8342

Okay. I'm finished with my Kat's blouse obsession.

Two things:

1) Apparently, websites in West Hollywood at GeoCities tend to host pictures of transsexuals in blouses of all varieties (not that this is a bad thing, mind, but the blouses were not really of the type I was looking for)

2) I vote for this, which ElJay and I both think is right elegant. It looks like the other one I found that you liked, Kat, (but better, IMHO), comes in a 12, and costs $21.99 plus shipping (ranges from extremes of $6.95 for up to two week delivery to about $19 for 2-3 day delivery). Downsides include need for capping the sleeves and maybe a camisole.

Good luck in whatever you find!

(I've much enjoyed looking at the other links, too.)

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I also vote for the one CT and ElJay like [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Very pretty! [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the one CT and ElJay vote for two. It has a very understated elegance.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely like the one that CT and ElJay voted for - it's exactly what came to mind when you described the skirt.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

Be sure to note that you can see the waistband of her black pants through the bottom of the blouse, though. The picture isn't clear on how far up this translucency goes. You may end up needing a camisole, too, so factor that possibility into cost, convenience, and in calculating the extent of layering that will be necessary.

I'd bet that the breast area isn't translucent (certainly, the cowl seems to be opaque), but I'm a little worried that some belly skin area might get uncovered, especially as you move around in it.

I do love the lines. [Smile]

(I dreamt I was helping find you a top last night, Kat! You were wearing a top, a sweater, a big big frou-frou hat, and your skirt. I was trying to find the top AJ had given me as a possible substitute for your layering, in case you got too hot.

And I was feeling guilty for searching my mother's clothes for something for you, too. And then I was hurt and shamed that you all lived in Madison (AJ, Kat, rivka, ludosti, Theaca, etc) but didn't tell me because I wasn't cool enough.

It was a long night.)

Theaca
Member # 8325

That sounds a lot like the kind of dreams I get.
katharina
Member # 827

Y'all are so darling. I do love the white shirt with the cowl neck. I have a blue and gold crystal necklace that my dad got me in Hawaii that I think would go with that. If the shirt is too long and it doesn't look right with skirt, I think we ("we" meaning Coccinelle after I, um, maybe I can pay for a movie) can shorten it a little bit.

I'm ordering that one right now.

I went to the Galleria last night in hopes of finding something at Nordstroms, since there were a couple of possibilities on the web site. They laughed at me. No tops with sleeves, but everyone suggested spaghetti straps and a shrug. I think shrugs are also intended for small-breasted women. I've seen several people look absolutely hideous in shrugs, and it's generally because it was stretched tight across their chests, and because it had farther to go horizontally, it didn't hang down far enough on their torso. On the other hand, a well-constructed shrug can make even the hanger look like it has cleavage. It's a conspiracy, I'm telling you.

I did find a lovely, shiny, perfect, bright-white satin shirt at Saks Fifth Avenue, but then looked at the price and nearly choked. There's no way I'm paying $230 for anything that doesn't come with a veil or its own jet plane.

I wandered into Limited and discovered that their white shirts were 40% off, so I got a white button-down shirt (sorry no link - I don't think they have a web site). It looks a lot like the tailored Oxford you linked to above, CT, complete with hook and eye closures. It isn't really appropriate for the occasion (fabric is pretty casual), but I think I can wear it around for work and church. I did have to get a camisole for underneath, but I can use a white camisole anyway. It's slicky and tight and comfortable, so I bet I can wear it with the dressy top above.

I also got this, just in case I couldn't find something else. I'll take it back, since I can't really justify it unless there's a special occasion, but it is amazing how sexy a long-sleeve, high-collared shirt can be if it's well-cut.
quote:
You were wearing a top, a sweater, a big big frou-frou hat, and your skirt.
I think I've worn that outfit on laundry day.

Added: I ordered that one. I should get it in a week, I hope. [Smile] I'll track down a camera somewhere and post a picture on this thread when it is all together. Thank you so much for the help. Y'all are incredible. *hug*

[ July 27, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's no way I'm paying $230 for anything that doesn't come with a veil or its own jet plane.
[ROFL]
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Bad news, Katie. Wedding dresses generally do not include the veil; that's separate (and extra).

[Big Grin]

CT
Member # 8342

*beaming

Yes, nothing like a well-tailored cut, 'tis true.

Sweet.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
You chose the exact one I would have chosen. I can't wait to see pictures. It will also look stunning with dark jeans and you can wear it year-round. I have about 3 versions of it in black.

How are you wearing your hair? I think it would look gorgeous pulled back into a loose ponytail and it would highlight the neckline.

I also have a version of the limited blouse you bought, except my sleeves are plain. I'd hang onto it - you can dress it up or down and it'll never go out of style.

This thread is making me a tiny bit jealous. I'm not having luck with maternity clothes and it's driving me crazy. All the clothes I've bought lately are sizes 0-3 months.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thank you, Mrs.M!

I have wavy light brown hair with dark blonde streaks that reaches *pats hair* about two inches past my shoulders right now. I can get it really curly or else mostly straight if I coax it, but it never gets stick straight and both states usually revert to a general waviness by the end of the evening.

What's the best way to pull it back into a ponytail? I have black rubber bands and a large black clip. I also have a clip that's kind of bejeweled, but a lot of the glass falas have fallen out so it looks a little bit ghetto. Should I get a mettallic clip?

I was also thinking jewelry. I have a nice necklace and matching earrings made of blue and gold crystals. That means goldish jewelry and hair things, right?

I still haven't decided what to do about the shoes. I like my 3 inch heels, but it will make me five inches taller than the other writer and four inches taller than the leading actor. I love being tall, but that starts to feel a little unfair. I'm sure I could find some cheap party shoes somewhere, but it's easier to find them in silver than in gold. I think. I haven't shopped for party shoes for a really long time.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I would go with a large bow (probably in white) for the ponytail. To make it loose just gather it at the base of your skull and wrap the rubber band around it one less time than you usually do. Something like this (minus the butterflies): https://plus34.safe-order.net/wendlerswholesale/p2077.html or https://plus34.safe-order.net/wendlerswholesale/p1687.html

The earrings sound great, but I'd skip the necklace all together. It would detract from the neckline. Your jewelry doesn't have to match your hair accessories, btw, so don't let that limit your choices.

If you don't want to add height, you can get a pair or silver or gold ballet flats. They're all over the place now and they'll go great with the ensemble.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Ooo...pretty hair things.

Thank you. [Smile] [Smile] I will take pictures.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.