FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I think you have to give up your title of Mom if you do this...

Author Topic: I think you have to give up your title of Mom if you do this...
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8704758/

I've got a 12 year old son. I would have a very difficult time NOT overcoming my peaceful tendencies to wreck violence upon the woman if one of my son's friend's moms ever did anything close to something like this.

In what way does being a 40 year old having sex with teenaged boys constitute being a "cool" mom?! When I was growing up, a cool mom was one who dressed in fashions not more than 10 years old. A cool mom was one who let you indulge in harmless kid hijinx despite its adult annoyance factor, but did not let you get away with anything truly dangerous. A cool mom was one who let you make lots of choices and decisions and was genuinely sad with you when the consequences of those choices turned out to be mistakes.

*goes off grumbling about what is the world coming to and man I must be an old fogey to even contemplate that phrase*

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He said Johnson told investigators “she was never popular with classmates in high school and now began ‘feeling like one of the group.”’
Have y'all seen Mean Girls?
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Pathetic.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
This was on the smoking gun web-site about three to four months ago. I was suprised to see it on the news this morning...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Disgusting, but not surprising. [ashamed of my country]If this had happened in Canada, it probably wouldn't even have been mentioned. It's perfectly legal for an adult of any age to have sex with a child as young as 14 here. And many Canadians don't see a problem with this.[/ashamed of my country]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Prosecutors did not recommend a sentence, but each sexual assault count carries up to two years in prison, and each count of contributing to the delinquency of a minor carries up to six years, district attorney’s spokeswoman Pam Russell said.
Excuse me what? Contributing to the delinquency of a minor has a longer sentence than sexual assault?!?!?! It's worse to give a kid alcohol than have sex with them?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bit surprised myself, but more because Americans are weird about sex than because it doesn't make sense. I mean, these are boys of high school age; I hardly think she forced them.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know where you are getting those facts dh. I am pretty sure that the laws are quite a bit more complicated than that.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
For a reference look here .

It is true that anyone over the age of 14 can give consent, but there are limitations and situations that would determine if the consent was valid.

Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to agree with you that she probably didn't force them. And in this particular case, without full knowledge of the details, I would tend to say this woman doesn't need to be locked up for huge amounts of time for having sex with five teenagers. But the sexual assault law also covers non-consentual sexual assault, and I think it is appalling that it has a shorter maximum sentence than contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
It's providing them with meth that has me pissed off. They're dropping those charges, if you can believe it.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Ewwwwww! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

I am the most uncool Mom ever.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious if the reactions and charges would be identical if the offenders sex was male. It doesn't change things in my eyes but I get the feeling from some that this isn't as repelent since the boys might have been eager. I suspect, although I can't substantiate, that the outcry and the charges would be, if you'll pardon the pun, stiffer.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
no doubt, punwit...
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it news that there is a sexual double standard?
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
Ewwwwww! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew! Ew!

I am the most uncool Mom ever.

Ditto, on both parts.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Police said the investigation began after one of the boys told his mother about the encounters, and she reported it to authorities.
And once again, loose lips sink a ship.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
That's more than ewww, it's pathetic.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_holes
Member # 6237

- posted      Profile for digging_holes   Email digging_holes         Edit/Delete Post 
Solo, I'm well aware of Canadian laws on sexual consent. I live here.
Posts: 1996 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I pity the woman. She seems to be a very unhappy person, probably an outcast throughout her life. What other incentive is there for spending so much money and time on drugging teens and having sex with them? Of course I do not justify her, but I hope that after she is released from prison she will find a friend.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
*proud to be a totally uncool mom, if this is the new definition*
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
I hope that after she is released from prison she will find a friend.
I hope she finds a counselor.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

katharina - that too, of course. But everyone needs a friend. If she had true friends from the first place, I suppose she wouldn't have done this.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Probably, but I think you can also add that if she were capable of forming adult relationships, she wouldn't have done this. If she's messed up enough to drug teenagers and sleep with them, she needs serious help.
Beanny
Member # 7109

What if her inability to form bonds of friendship resulted from childhood traumas?
Whether this is true or troll, you're right about her having mental problems. I think the goverment should supply mental supervision to this woman.

katharina
Member # 827

It doesn't matter where her lack of social skills came from, they still need to be dealt with.

I'm very serious - she sounds severely messed up. In my unprofessional opinion, she needs much more than someone to go to a movie with. Seducing teenage boys in an attempt to retroactively be popular in high school means that she needs professional help.

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
out of curiousity... how many people in this thread saw American Pie and had this same reaction to the whole "Stifler's Mom" thing?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Stifler's Mom had sex with an eighteen year old, so it's totally different. Plus she was hot. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.