FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Note to the world: (daily rant)

Author Topic: Note to the world: (daily rant)
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
DO NOT pluralize things using apostrophes. That is NOT the purpose for which they are intended. You do not have bean's for sale; you have beans for sale.

Please, for the sake of the English language, cut it out!

(And now will follow five-ish posts explaining how language is living and mutable, and calling me an unconscionable grammar nazi. I know. I'm just really, really, really thrown off by pluralization created with apostrophes. Don't mind me. It's been a rough week.)

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with you.

How about innappropriate use of parentheses?

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't capitalize words because you think they're important. That's not what capitalization is for.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
Why pick on beans? It's not the beans' fault that they're for sale.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
YES! i completly agree with what all of yous' have to say. grammer is so BAD and kids do'nt no a dam thing this day's.
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh that made my brain hurt
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't capitalize words because you think they're important. That's not what capitalization is for.
Amen. The programmers do it all the time.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I disagree, to an extent. In formal writing, you are correct.

But in informal writing like this, creative capitalization and punctuation can be used to convey things that are easy to convey when speaking to somebody face to face, but impossible with formal writing.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and for Pete's sake, when you have a sign announcing "No Smoking" for instance, you DO NOT NEED to put it in quotation marks. One time I saw a sign that read "The Management "Thanks" you for your business." AAARGH!
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Using allcaps (and, to a lesser extent, bolding) for emphasis bothers me.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers*

I enjoy capitalizing Things That Are Important.

*/whispers*

What's the general feeling on off-setting Important Words (or actions) with asterisks?

And I agree that formal writing is different from informal communication. Just sayin'.

*grin*

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh! Ooh! I hate the quotation mark thing! Yesterday I was watching a T.V. program and the chiron (title-thingie on the bottom) identified a dog as "Molly". Is that her assumed name?

Arglebargle.

And all caps just hurts my eyes. The Army loves to do internal memos in all caps (I think it's actually a form requirement). How am I supposed to learn the most recent parking regulations if I can't read the form????

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Twinky -- in your opinion, what should bolding be used for?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
On an internet forum? Not a whole heck of a lot. I'd use bold to emphasize a single character with in a word, for instance.

Added: Using them to emhpasize user names (which is done here and pretty much everywhere) is fine; it makes them clearer.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I only CAPITALIZE because I'm too lazy to type in the italics tags when using quick reply.

[Smile]

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
In publishing, italicization is the preferred method of setting off text for emphasis. Bolding should be avoided where possible because it draws too much attention to itself. I think the same thing holds true for the internet.
quote:
What's the general feeling on off-setting Important Words (or actions) with asterisks?
Ugh. No.

I've generally found that good writing can convey the importance of something without resorting to scare tactics.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about innappropriate use of parentheses?
Ok, I'll line up to be spanked for that one. Parentheses and ellipsis misuse are my punctuation vices; I admit that. That's only because they don't drive me insane the way pluralization with apostrophes does, though.

quote:
I only CAPITALIZE because I'm too lazy to type in the italics tags when using quick reply.
I do the same thing.

Edited to add: Obviously.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the UBB tag for capitalizing a word?
j/k

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
While I will only CAPS ONLY a word for emphasis in rapidfire AIM communication, using Capital Letters For Emphasis in the way just utilized is something that has become part of my writing style.

Actually, I think I may have stolen this from OSC...

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The quotation mark thing is one of my pet peeves. One summer when I taught drama classes for a city Parks & Recreation Department the person who put together the publicity brochure had this particular problem. I don't remember all the things she put in quotes, but I do remember the headline advertising that drama is “fun.”
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I love unnecessary quotation marks in ads or on signs. You see them a lot on plumber or HVAC vans.
quote:
"We provide world-class plumbing."
I always imagine the plumber saying it while making finger quotes in the air. It always makes me chuckle.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriam
Member # 8351

- posted      Profile for Miriam   Email Miriam         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jexx:
Ooh! Ooh! I hate the quotation mark thing! Yesterday I was watching a T.V. program and the chiron (title-thingie on the bottom) identified a dog as "Molly". Is that her assumed name?

A registered purebred dog usually has two names. These are their registered name and a nickname. It is not common to refer to a dog by it's registered name. By the time I got my dog's name out he could be hit by a car.

My dog's full registered name is Serandida Sa Nesu Tesher Ra. We just call him Tesher.

Anyway I'm rambling. I would assume that "Molly" is the dog's nickname. Her registered name could be something completely unrelated to her used name.

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
While we're on the subject:

It's and its mean two totally different things.

There, their, and they're also mean totally different things.

/ I way overuse parentheses when I write in forums like this (mainly for asides).

While we're on the subject, don't tuck your shirt in if you're not wearing a belt.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Who says that counts as overuse of parentheses?
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob the Angry Flower's quick guide to the apostrophe.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I sometimes have asides to my asides and end up with nested paretheses, which even I have a hard time deciphering. I don't think even that is overuse, but I understand people who dislike that.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.