FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ya know...the Boy Scouts are really having a bad week

Author Topic: Ya know...the Boy Scouts are really having a bad week
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
First the electrocution at Boy Scout Jamboree, then the collapse of several from the heat there

and now this
Scout troup struck by lightning

I can't imagine doing CPR for an hour! I have done it for over 15 minutes at a stretch and it is really taxing. Of course, they switched off between people...

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is in part the principle of attention. First, there are 40,000 Scouts on one camp, which is a decent-sized town. Any given week, something bad will happen in a decent-sized town, but at the Jamboree, it will be Scouts.

Secondly, since there are so many Scouts in the news, other news reports seem more prominent.

It's like the shark attacks of 2001. There were actually FEWER shark attacks that summer than the summer before, but the stories got momentum and were building on each other.

The kid who got lost in the mountains of Utah last month was a Scout, but it was before the Jamboree so it didn't seem like part of a pattern.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes -- I'm sure you're right. It just seems to be piled up into one week.

..or maybe I never really paid much attention before. Are there a lot of Scout incidents every year, but more spread out and not so noticed by media?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Sure. There are 4 million Boy Scouts - lots of bad things happen every year.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a period like that last year in the scouts... it was terrible, such foolish accidents! One guy drowned because he couldn't swim and was ashamed to admit, another tripped and fell down a cliff...

But these accidents raised the level of security orders everywhere, and made us more cautious. Too bad we didn't learn from "almost happened" accidents.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

The lab I worked in in college lost a grad student the year before I came. The prof and the four PhD students were climing Mt. Timpanagos when one of them fell off the trail. He died before they got to him. I think it really rattled the professor - he didn't come in nearly as often, and the other students said he was much more angry than he used to be.
akhockey
Member # 8394

- posted      Profile for akhockey           Edit/Delete Post 
My friend in Texas was telling me about a group of scouts from his area that came up to the homeland (Alaska!). They were getting their 50 mi. hike badges here and one kid got mauled by a bear. The others didn't panic and one of the other scouts made a tourniquet to stop the blood flow. I guess there isn't really a better group to be with after being mauled by a bear than some MacGyver scouts...
Posts: 193 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man, imagine a small town composed entirely of adolescent boys. It's amazing any of them are still alive.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
*laughter mixed with sadness*
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, I was gonna post a link with the thread title: Bush Makes Hundreds of Scouts Sick

quote:
BOWLING GREEN, Va. - About 300 Boy Scouts were sickened by the heat yesterday while waiting for President George W. Bush to arrive at a memorial service for four Scout leaders who were killed while pitching a tent beneath a power line.

But I got distracted by work, of all things and didn't post it. Probably just as well. [Wink]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When my father was a boy scout, lightning hit the camp and splattered. Over half the troop was hit.

The scoutmaster came to my father first and found that he wasn't breathing and his heart wasn't beating. The scoutmaster left him for dead and went to help somebody that he *could* help.

When he came back later my father was breathing on his own.

Over a dozen scouts went to the hospital, but nobody died and there was no permanent damage.

One great thing was that the first-year-scouts were all off somewhere else doing the dishes, and they had barely gone over first aid the day before, so they were all prepared to go help the older scouts.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a Scout, and it helped me be prepared ( [Smile] ) for many things in my life. A lot of the stuff I learned about basic first aid has come in very handy, even before I went and became a Medic in the Army.

Basically a Medic is a big Scout with access to Morphine. [Wink]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Of the two lightning-struck scouts who received CPR long enough to be hospitalized: the adult leader has died; and the youth is brain-dead but remaining on life-support for organ donation.

[ July 30, 2005, 02:32 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
So they're picking off Boy Scouts now, eh?

*surreptitiously stashes merit badge sash*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
It continues....
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Last Thursday, an assistant Scoutmaster and a 13-year-old Scout were killed by lightning in California's Sequoia National Park. And four Scout leaders at the National Boy Scout Jamboree in Virginia were electrocuted July 24 in front of several Scouts after they lost control of a metal tent pole and it fell against a power line.
Resemblences to Shark Summer 2001 aside, the lightning is getting creepy.
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
The week wasn't that bad...I rather enjoyed it.....
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I didn't realize that you were there. Back home, we kept hearing news reports from the Jamboree. Sounded scary. Glad to hear that you didn't get electrocuted or anything.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no!
Another tragedy. This is just terribly sad.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050810/ap_on_re_us/scout_camp_death

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

TS- No, I didn't die. Though, the number of times secret service people were about to detain me was numerous.

Elizabeth- Tragedies are part of life. Its just a little creepy that so many have been striking this particular organization. I wonder if God is trying to tell us something.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Good grief.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

What are you giving praise to grief about?
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
An 8-year-old girl
I wonder how on earth they found a loop hole to allow an 8 year-old girl to stay at a Boy Scout Camp. In order to stay over night according to national, you either have to be a registered member of scouts, or the parent of a scout... I seriously doubt this 8 year old was a mother....

Policies like these are in place to minimize liabilities...

Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It said another group was staying there. There were actually no Boy Scouts.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there are allsort of exceptions made all of the time, and as long as the parents give concent it is no different than allowing a Boy Scout on premise.

As long as the insurance company knows before it happens, and the policy isn't limited to Boy Scouts. [Big Grin]

Tough stuff to be sure... [Frown]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Kwea, the Insurance that BSA carries, is harder to get along with than the IRS...
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.