FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Grammar poll (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Grammar poll
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's acceptable to write "Bill Gates' ideology is that of a swine's", even though it should be "Bill Gates's ideology is that of a swine's" and if you're going to do it properly you'll write an "s" at the end. Lacking the "s" at the end is wrong but acceptable.

"We had dinner with the Gateses tonight, what a shame", but "we had Dinner over at the Gateses' tonight, what a shame". However, "Jesus' followers are known as his disciples".

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I always use the last comma, because if I was speaking the sentence, I would pause there.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I never do. I just dislike it and so do the editors of The Times of London.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
This will be a long post, since I'm replying to many comments at once. It seems more efficient this way.

I love reading threads like this one. It's nice to know I'm not alone in the way I feel about grammar. One of my favorite books is
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation
Lynne Truss.
I crack up every time I read it. Here's a link (sorry I can't make the fancy ones):

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=eats+shoots+and+leaves&userid=h58ONcwBgk&r=1&cds2Pid=946

I agree that using the last comma adds clarity, reducing the chance that the last two items in a series look like they are grouped.

quote:
That final comma is called the serial comma.
I've heard it called the Oxford comma, too. I may have read that in "Eats, Shoots & Leaves."

quote:
can we please decide to eliminate the apostrophe in all plurals that aren't possessive? I'm referring of course to CDs and DVDs.
Yes! I vote for that! No wonder I enjoy reading here so much--so many of you write the same way I do. (Well, I know I'm not as smart as many of the posters here; I refer to the grammar used.)

As for Dr. Suess' The Grinch:
In ""Eats, Shoots..." she also talks about how "Two Weeks Notice" drove her crazy. I was semi-relieved when I saw that, because I was thinking it was just ME that found it annoying. And when we went to DisneyWorld awhile back, I was *appalled* to see a store with this sign:

The Writers Corner

OK, who painted that?!
Shouldn't sign painters be literate? :-p

*Here ends my rambling*

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Jonathan, it is NOT "wrong but acceptable." It is one of two ways of writing it that are correct.

I won't dis your way if you don't dis mine. [Razz]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Starr R:
Here's a link (sorry I can't make the fancy ones):

Oh! Oh! I know how!

You make a clicky on "Full Reply Form". The very first clicky button is "URL". Make a clicky on "URL" and paste in your web location in the little poppy-up box. You click "OK" in the little poppy-up box and it goes away, only to be replaced with another poppy-up box. You put whatever little name you want to call you link in that little poppy-up box, and click the "OK".

Presto chango! http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?WRD=eats+shoots+and+leaves&userid=h58ONcwBgk&r=1&cds2Pid=946
is changed to something like this.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.