FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "The Body"

Author Topic: Buffy the Vampire Slayer - "The Body"
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap.

Holy crap.

As you may have gathered, I just experienced the fifth-season Buffy episode, "The Body," for the first time. It cements my belief that BtVS is one of the greatest television series ever produced. What other sci-fi/fantasy series could get away with such a painfully realistic portrayal of the aftermath of death, particularly sci-fi series known more for their sense of humor than their character drama?

I loved how there was no music in the entire show, and how the camera lingered too long on certain, seemingly irrelevant details (the vomit, the telephone keypad), in order to evoke the numb shock Buffy experiences. Willow grasps for something she can control, while Xander reacts with anger, seeking to right a nonexistent wrong. And particularly heart-breaking: Anya, the perpetual outsider, BtVS's Constable Odo, desperate to understand the emotions she is feeling.

Loved the little touches: Xander's car being ticketed, each act book-ended by the eponymous body, and Dawn crying over the hurtful statements of her classmate, unaware of the real tragedy looming overhead. Even the vampire scene at the end felt different- no acrobatics, no martial arts, just grunts and impacts, ended via the most physical, horrific method of slaying possible.

Damn.

Once again, I can't believe I never saw this show while it was running. I don't think any television episode has ever managed to hit me quite the way "The Body" did. Bravo to Joss Whedon, bravo to Sarah Michelle Gellar and her cast-mates for an incredible job well done.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
That's so weird. I'm watching season 5 for the first time now too, and I watched The Body just this morning.

God I'm completely a mess.

my friend just lost a parent very suddenly. I'm pulling a Willow. "overidentify much?" me? nah...

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
I always love to see new people turned into fans. [Smile] Buffy is my all-time favorite show. Glad you two love it, too.

And yes, The Body was incredible. Tarrsk, you're a very observant viewer. You picked up on all of the things that Joss points out in the DVD voiceover. [Smile] Did you cheat and watch it after? [Wink]

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so strange. I've been watching Buffy for the first time, and I just started on season 5 this morning. I'm going to avoid reading this thread until I get to that episode. Just wanted to publicly have my mind blown until I can respond more fully.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife won't watch it again. She appreciated it -- I can't say "enjoy" here -- but it was too emotional for her to revisit afterwards.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
Mild spoilers for an upcoming episode

The episode where Dawn wants to raise her mom from the grave was creepy and sad, too.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
It was so well done. I couldn't believe how they handled it. This episode is one of the main items I cite to people to say "No, Buffy isn't just a pulpy teen horror show".

SPOILERS
The Monkey's Paw kind of thing freaks me out. Funny thing is, the day I saw that episode, I also read the Monkey's Paw and saw the Simpsons version. Didn't connect 'em up until that night.

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Katarain: Heh, I'll admit that I did watch the DVD commentary, but the details I listed were ones that I'd noticed during my initial viewing. It was a thrill to realize that I wasn't just pulling those thoughts out of thin air. [Smile]

Whedon's one of the more deliberate directors out there, now that I'm thinking about it- if you listen to the commentary for Firefly's "Objects in Space," there's a similarly obsessive approach to detail in set design and camerawork. It's impressive considering that he's known for his writing rather than his direction... the guy is too damn talented! [Wink]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I bawled like a baby when I saw that the first time.

Just the other day the episode before The Body was on, and just seeing that body again gave me chills.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, I didn't "lose it" and start crying till Anya did. Not even Willow made me cry, but when Anya started talking about the pleasent trivalities of life and how Joyce would never experience them again... Something about that hit me more than anything else...
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok now this is making me want to start watching Buffy.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this episode when a Hatrack Member who lost their mother recently posted about his troubles, for me it is the definition of shock and loss. I was moved very deeply by that episode.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay Buffy! [Smile] [Smile]

I never watched it when it was on, so I've been catching up on it this year. It's now one of my favorite series ever.

kojabu, if you're thinking of watching Buffy, stop reading any threads about Buffy to avoid spoilers! A lot of the fun of Buffy is from the different plot twists.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
By the time I hit season 5, I think I'll have forgotten about this thread. :-P Besides, I don't exactly know what's going on aside from the fact that it's an intense episode.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this episode a couple of months ago. I kept getting the nagging feeling that this was all a hoax and that we would find out that her death was not real any second. That is almost exactly how I felt when my uncle died unexpectedly. A very good episode.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
One word of warning for those who have yet to watch the episode but will soon: It's heavy stuff and might have you moping around for the rest of the day.

Definitely one of those episodes I might not be able to watch again simply because it's too good. The fact that it's so good makes it hard to watch, specially if you have ever had to experience death or loss. The scenario in that episode hit a bit too close to home for me.

A must watch though, don't even consider skipping it.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben recently confessed (over a dinner at our house) that he just didn't 'get' Firefly. He said everyone always praises Whedon's dialogue, but he just doesn't see it as that good.

I didn't, erm, make him give back the hot dog. [Wink]

But now I see... Make him watch "The Body" and "Hush" and so forth. If that doesn'put him in awe of the wonderfullness that is Joss Whedon, then I'll just have to limit my family's exposure to him. [Wink]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok now this is making me want to start watching Buffy.
I know. Dang it. Firefly was MUCH less expensive than Buffy is going to be. I need to get netflix.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.