FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lime and Vána Buy a House - Take Two!

Author Topic: Lime and Vána Buy a House - Take Two!
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
We've got another house! I can't believe how quickly it happened. We went out looking again yesterday, and found one we really, really liked. It's bigger, the back yard is already fenced in (a privacy fence, no less!), and it's only a few thousand more than the one that fell through.

So, after looking at the house twice (we went back again after the other houses, because they were having an open house and it wasn't over yet), we decided to make an offer. Houses have been selling so quickly lately, and we were so impressed, we knew we had to jump on it, even though it was really scary. We wrote up our offer, asking for $1000 off closing and all of their appliances in return for giving the full asking price. We figured we'd rather save the money up front than save on the monthly payments, you know?

Our realtor talked to theres and arranged to put the offer in that evening, and also found out that there would be another offer made by another potential buyer at the same time. We crossed our fingers and settled in to wait (we'd given them 24 hours to respond). No need for that, though! At 7:30 she called us to let us know that they'd accepted our offer! They only made two minor changes - they want to take the mounted can opener because it was a gift from the lady's sister, and they wouldn't be able to close until Sept. 6 (we'd asked for Aug. 26) because they closed on their new house on Sept. 1 and needed the week to move.

No problem for us on either count, of course, so we signed off! We're buying a house! And I know it's going to work out this time. The family has been in the house for 15 years, and have taken excellent care of it. It's completely updated and doesn't look it's age at all (it's 99).

I'm sure you're hoping for a description, so here goes. It's a 1.5 story, so I'll start upstairs. That's where the bedrooms are. The master bedroom will need to be painted because it's a very dark wine color, but it's a decent size and has a nice closet. It also has a mini-bathroom - toilet, sink, tub (is it more than half if it has a bathtub?). It's triangle-shaped because it's underneath where the roof comes down.

Across the hall is the other bedroom, about the same size but with no bathroom. Good sized closet, though. Then, towards the back of the house and at the end of the little hallway, is another, small, funny-shaped (again, because of the roof) bedroom. It's currently pink.

On the main floor there is an entryway, then to the left is the living room (sorta small) and then the dining room - we might just have a double living room instead, since the kitchen has room for a table. After the dining room is the oddly-placed main bathroom - it was obviously an addition. It has a closet, a shower, and a whirlpool bathtub. I'm so excited! I'd say that's nearly a fair trade for the fireplace we won't have, and it's useful all year!

Off of the dining room is the kitchen. It's really big, such a nice change! It's got all new cupboards and everything, though I'll want to replace the hardware. There's a built-in microwave, a stove, a fridge, and a dishwasher, all of which we get to keep. There are windows next to where the table will go. It's really very nice.

Off of the kitchen is a little mudroom, which leads outside to the back porch. It's big enough for a table and chairs on either side. Down a couple of steps to the yard, which is very well cared for and has a flower bed next to the porch. It's all fenced in, like I said, and has a shed and a little brick patio area for a grill. The garage has a door directly into the back yard, too, which is wonderful.

The laundry room is downstairs, which is really the only part of the house that I'm not very excited about. It's a very low ceiling and made my claustrophobia kick in a bit. But I think if we keep it pretty clear of stuff and maybe a little better lit (though maybe we just missed a light or something) I should be fine. I'll get used to it. Someone has been using the basement as a bedroom, so there's a toilet and a shower stall down there as well. Useful if we ever have a bunch of people staying with us, or if we ever decide to finish the basement.

Well, I think that's it! It's really lovely, we're so excited.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CT
Member # 8342

- posted      Profile for CT           Edit/Delete Post 
All right, Vana! That's great. We'll have to do some housewarming thing. *smile
Posts: 831 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
YAY!!!
Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Congratulations!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! I'm so glad. [Smile]

um . . . I missed something, though. What happened last time?

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what happened last time.
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lime
Member # 1707

- posted      Profile for Lime   Email Lime         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh. Too quick for me, Babe.
Posts: 753 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo-hoo! *bounces with glee* I'm so glad things turned out for the best. This one sounds much more charming and a whirlpool to boot! Yaay!

Our offer to help move (as much as we can with a toddler) still stands. Just let us know the details.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this sounds so very much better! Painting party at Lime and Vana's!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds great - I'm so jealous of your whirlpool tub! I'm so excited for you guys!! Getting to have your very own home for the first time is a really fun (if sometimes challenging) experience!
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so happy for y'all! You really deserve it after your ordeal.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! Good for you two.

BTW, if it has a bathtub it is a full bath. A half bath only has a toilet and sink, usually. Some people call a shower without a bathtub a half bath too, but that isn't correct. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats guys.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for you guys! [Party]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.