FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question for Canadians

Author Topic: A question for Canadians
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Can somebody tell me the proper way to format Canadian postal addresses? This is what I've been doing, but I've been seeing so much inconsistency that I thought I'd better double-check:

University of Toronto
Toronto, ON M5S 1A1
Canada

Do I have everything in the right order and on the right lines? Should there be a hyphen in the postal code?

Thanks!

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
University of Toronto
Some sort of street address
Toronto, ON
M5S 1A1
Canada

OR

University of Toronto
Some sort of street address
Toronto, ON, Canada, M5S 1A1

The latter is more common these days.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chungwa
Member # 6421

- posted      Profile for Chungwa   Email Chungwa         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always done it the way you did, Jon (except for the street (I just wrote 'three' instead of street, isn't that weird?) address).

If you do it that way, it'll get there. Granted, the second way Bob listed is the most common. I just like putting the country last, as sort of the final (or first) destination - but I don't actually know how the postal system really works, so.

Posts: 367 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you mailing something to the University of Toronto, dare I ask?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

No, you daren't! :pirate:

It's for work. I need to know the proper format for Canadian addresses that appear in company profiles.

PS: Thanks, Bob and Chungwa.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
I always address things the first format. But that's considered more old fashioned [Smile]
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I always make sure to write the name of the country very large underneath everything else and then ask the postman loudly for an 80 cent stamp. Just so everyone knows how cool I am for sending letters to foreign countries.

When I worked for the French Review, I had to send letters and manuscripts all over the world all of the time. It was right when they were changing the international rates, but some countries still cost more. So, just to be safe, I called the post office one day.

"Hi. I was just wondering how much it costs to send a regular letter to Jordan."

"Um.... 37 cents."

"Really? That's weird."

"Jordan, Montana?"

"Um, no. Jordan the country."

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Whoa. They have a country now, too?
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

*bump*

I have another question about Canadian addresses. I've seen several that look like this: "1510 - 700 W. Georgia St." What's up with that? If the first number is the street address, then what's the second? Or vice versa, I suppose.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
They own 810 houses.

In a row.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet it's like a suite address.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Apartment number, essentially.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Danke.
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a townhouse complex. I live in one like that. It's just a block of homes (addresses 1510 to 700) surrounded by a fence, and "1510 - 700" appears on the front gate.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

I should've mentioned that this is a corporate address, not a residential one. I'm guessing it's probably not a townhouse.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
...which is why I said "suite address". [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Just give it to me! I'm going to Canada! [Razz]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

Sure. Could you swing by Vancouver while you're there to check out the address?
Miriya
Member # 7822

- posted      Profile for Miriya   Email Miriya         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a suite/apartment/townhouse number. Normally the suite number comes first and the street number comes second. So that would be Suite 1500 at 700 W. Georgia St. However since most apartment buildings, townhouse complexes, and office blocks have their own postal code in Canada, the postman can usually figure it out either way.
Posts: 251 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I've been there. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.