FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Strange reactions when I am reading Harry Potter, anyone else? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Strange reactions when I am reading Harry Potter, anyone else?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My son had swimming lessons today, and I brought my book. Two women sitting in the stands looked at me and chuckled.

I did not think anything else about this until later at the beach, when a man came up and laughed and said, "Heh heh, I read Harry Potter, too."

Now, I read a lot of fantasy, and a lot of young adult fiction, and don't get this reaction. It's sort of a "how cute, an adult is reading Harry Potter" reaction.

I was just wondering if anyone else had had this reaction?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
No, I haven't received that reaction, but I have wanted to talk to people reading it when I see them on the bus or train. I love it when I see other adults and it's less of a 'how cute' and more of a 'that's awesome!' kind of a reaction. I don't know how your reactions sounded though. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

It was not so much of a "how cute," as sort of a condescending/demeaning thing. That is how I felt.

As for people wanting to talk about it, that really scares me! My daughter's friend wanted to, and asked me where I was in the story, but I told her I would let her know when I was done. "But I won't tell you anything," she said. "But you might get a look in your eye," I responded.

Basically, I need to go hide and finish it so I can read the spoilerific thread.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been relaxing on the couch while reading it. It was a birthday present from my two ladies. No one's seen me reading it other than the dogs. Now that I think about it the dog did give me one of those tilted head looks and slowly backed away.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm listening to the audiobook in my car. I often have the windows rolled down until I get out on the highway, and the volume turned fairly loud. I hope people can hear Jim Dale booming out Harry Potter dialogue as I drive by.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Is your car marked for spoilers? [Razz]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely got strange reactions from Harry Potter. Or maybe it was all that Polyjuice Potion I drank while reading it.

I have noted a significant tingling in my wand hand.

A spell I tried so that I wouldn't need glasses anymore had me drinking beer out of contact lenses.

And I still don't get why the next book after "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" wasn't "Harry Potter and the Side Order of Fries".

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth,

It's amazing how many Dursleys there really are in the world. [Wink]

Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's amazing how many Dursleys there really are in the world."

I was at the airport about 2 weeks ago and I was finishing my second reading of HBP when someone came up to me and told me that I was going against the will of God and sinning by reading a book about witchcraft.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
The people who hate it are all just like the Dursleys, I'm convinced. They are not so much against it for its magical content (they seem to like Narnia, for instance) as offended that she insulted them by potraying them so accurately and with so little sympathy. [Smile]

I'm really relieved there was so little Dursley-ness in this book, was anyone else? They are hard to read about.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it in public some, though, and people just asked me if this one was good. I didn't get any weird reactions that I saw.

Reading books in public is already astonishing enough, by its own self. Mostly I think it scares people. After all, reading is one of the black arts. [Smile] It gives you ideas, you know? People who read are a danger to society. Seriously. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I guess it was really the one guy with the condescending "It's OK, even I read Harry Potter" attitude that annoyed me.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Can we at least distinguish between people who go too far, like the one who insulted Humean, and people who honestly don't think the book is right for their children? I disagree with many of my Christian brothers and sisters who don't want to read the book or allow their children to read it, but I do respect their convictions and their reasonings.

I don't agree with the Mormons about abstaining from caffeine or Jews with pork, but I don't insult them and I respect their beliefs. There are Christians who believe that the idea of practicing witchcraft is contrary to scripture and they believe that the Harry Potter book in some way, glorifies something they are against.

Again, I'm not one of them, but I mislike the idea of portraying everyone who doesn't like the books because of their content "Dursleys" or people that it's okay to insult and demean.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>I don't agree with the Mormons about abstaining from caffeine

:murmurs: It's not actually the caffeine . . . oh, never mind. I get your point, and I agree.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

I don't think not reading Harry Potter for religious reasons is anything like the Dursleys. People who are similar to the Dursleys are those who dislike it because it is silly, and think adults should graduate beyond silly things... because that is the role the Dursleys play in the Harry Potter series.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
*bites lip*

I DO know that the Lifeguard (a chatty one) at the pool saw my husband with it and mentioned that she'd seen a lot of parents she hadn't seen at the pool before coming to the pool with their kids so they could read that book. [Big Grin]

When I tried the same trick, it was a different Lifeguard, but he was still chatty. "Are you Liam's mom? I hadn't seen you this summer. I thought you'd moved away. Reading Harry Potter? How far are you? Oh, so not very far yet."

When I asked him if he liked it, he got uncomfortable. "It made me mad. I just don't get where she thinks she's going with this... But I can't give it away. *sigh* The fourth was my favorite."

I told him the movie of the 4th one was coming out this year, and he knew the release date. [Smile]

P.S. Anybody with the nerve to TELL me I'm going to hell for reading something has declared Idiot Open Season on themselves. That is, open season on me thinking and/or calling them an idiot. I'm just sayin'...

[ August 03, 2005, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

Does that imply that if we just don't complain about your reading material, you won't call us idiots? [Smile]
Olivet
Member # 1104

I take it back. Anybody telling me I'm going to hell for reading Harry Potter has given me ample cause to think them an idiot.

But I do have several other books lying around that I wouldn't blame anybody for thinking I'm going to hell for reading them. Even though most of them are technically History books.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

No,Tres, you can 'not like' anything I read, and it is fine by me, even if you tell me so.

But to make judgements regarding the condition of my soul or my eternal damnation based on reading material... gives me license to make fun of you in public or private, whenever it occurs to me to do so. [Wink]

Nyah.

[ August 03, 2005, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Olivet ]

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone had to post this eventually. Might as well be me.

I've never read Harry Potter, though I've been curious about it. But a friend of mine, who is a big fan and has been trying to get me into it, just gave me a copy of the first book for my birthday. So now I guess I'm kind of obligated to read it.

Normally I take whatever book I'm reading to work with me and read on my breaks. But with this one, I don't think I will. Not so much because I fear the looks I'll get. Mainly I just don't want someone to come up to me and say, "Oh, Harry Potter eh? Could you believe it in the new one when blah blah blah", forcing me to jump up to break their arm, then patiently explain as they writhe on the ground that I'm not re-reading the book, it's actually my first time.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I tried the same trick, it was a different bodyguard, but he was still chatty.
Wow you're pool has bodyguards? [Eek!]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

They seem to guard MY body, but, um... No, It's a typo. [Razz]
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Went on a 2-day train trip starting on 7-20. There were large numbers of adults (and kids) on the train with HBP. Most just smiled coyly at each other, and patted each other comfortingly in passing when we could see that someone had clearly gotten to the hard part.

I was rereading number 5, and didn't get to 6 until we reached Oregon. Finished it at my husband's sister's mom's house, where sister's aunt was anxiously waiting for me to finish the book because I said she could have it when I was done.

Boy did she look worried when I gasped loudly and started to cry! From that point on, the conversation in the house mainly consisted of when people thought they were either going to read or go buy their copy. Actually come to think of it... I saw MANY people in Ashland (where we were) wandering around Lithia Park with HBP.

...BABBLING...

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually moved up in my boss's daughter's eyes because I had read it. She was in helping with copies and we had a good discussion on it [Smile] The only negative stuff I get is from my extended family. But since I read it in bed there really wasn't anyone around to say anything (other than my dh who said he got it when I was done with it... lol)
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't gotten wierd reactions, though there is one friend with whom I wouldn't volunteer the information that we all read Harry Potter.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
We all need one of these.
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was at the airport about 2 weeks ago and I was finishing my second reading of HBP when someone came up to me and told me that I was going against the will of God and sinning by reading a book about witchcraft.
I am determined to have an experience like this when I next go to an airport. Wish me luck!
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry Potter books actually aren't that bad. Have you guys seen some of the fantasy covers out there? It's like publishers *want* people to point and laugh.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Storm - so true, so true.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Yes, some fantasy covers do have a Fabio-esque feel to them.
(That's his name, right? The romance book model guy?)

Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*Alvin Maker*cough*
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want to get strange looks, do what I did, read Machiavelli's "The Prince" in public. People give you strange looks, but they are afraid to come up to you and threaten you with damnation.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
If you really want to get strange looks, do what I did, read Machiavelli's "The Prince" in public.

Or, you can read "The Cat in the Hat", silently, but moving your lips the whole time.

Every now and then, you can look up from the book, nod thoughtfully and murmur "How true, how true."

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starr R
Member # 8361

- posted      Profile for Starr R   Email Starr R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Or, you can read "The Cat in the Hat"... Every now and then, you can look up from the book, nod thoughtfully and murmur "How true, how true."
*giggling madly* Oh, my sides ache.
Thanks for the laugh, Tante!

Posts: 68 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

We have a lot of books and a lot of bookshelves. We only have the hardcover and trade paperbacks in the shelves and what didn't fit we boxed up with the paperbacks.

It never really occurred to me that some of thet titles might be scandalous until our baby sitter commented on 'what a lot of books' we had. She kind of blushed when she said it, so I looked to see what was on the shelves, knowing it was just a sampling of what we own, and that we hadn't been careful about what was on display in our living room. I mean, we just stuffed the shelves and packed up the remainder.

Just a quick glance, and I realized many books bought at Library sales were history-related, but also a bit sensational. The Mind of Adolph Hitler , Pink Samurai: Love, Marriage and Sex in Contemporary Japan (we had once been scheduled to teach English in Japan, but upheaval in my family prevented us), The History of the Occult , The History of Sex . Stuff like that wedged in with Pynchon and Joyce (twisted and overly verbose), or Sir Arthhur Conan Doyle and police procedurals (Oh, how I once wanted to BE Sherlock Holmes!).

A person's bookshelf can be quite revelatory, and I suppose I MAY , in fact, be going to hell.

But I will still make fun of anyone with enough of a God Complex to actually TELL me so.

[Big Grin]

Belle
Member # 2314

Heck, Olivet, people would have strange reactions looking at MY bookshelf, too.

I have very diverse reading tastes, and while a visitor to my home that goes to church with me might smile and nod appreciatively at my section that contains books on Christian living, they'd probably be scandalized at my entire shelf devoted to Tolkien. Or maybe not. But they'd certainly turn their noses up at the rest of my SF/Fantasy collection, I'm sure.

Even some of the so-called "Christian" books I own and read would not pass merit with many of them. Brennan Manning is one of my favorites, and he's a former Franciscan priest. And of course, many of my Arminian friends are shocked to see what is NOT on my bookshelf - they can't imagine why I don't have the "Left Behind" collection. [Big Grin]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Olivet, you're goin to hell... [Big Grin]

I wonder what people would think of my bookshelves. I have an entire cabinet - 5 feet tall by 36 inches wide - devoted entirely to Stephen King, plus two more cabinets - 7 ft by 30 inches - packed to overflowing with paperbacks. Lots of horror, lots of sci-fi, lots of fantasy. And then there's Left Behind...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if reading Harry Potter is sending me to Hell, there sure will be a bunch of us, won't there? We can all sit around and wonder about Snape's real intentions or something and have a great time! Oh wait, Hell is supposed to be PUNISHMENT, isn't it? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you really want to get strange looks, do what I did, read Machiavelli's "The Prince" in public.
My dad read The Prince out loud to me and my brother.

Should I be worried?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Isn't it funny how people will talk to you about a book you're reading if you have it with you in a public place? I mean, usually it's because they have read it, too, but not always.
Olivet
Member # 1104

It is an odd selection, Katie, but *I* think you turned out just fine. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Olivet:
Isn't it funny how people will talk to you about a book you're reading if you have it with you in a public place? I mean, usually it's because they have read it, too, but not always.

Yeah, I don't get that. They see you are in a book, so why do they think you are looking to have a conversation?

"What are you reading?"
"What's it about?"
"You must like to read a lot. I can tell by the way you keep diving right back into that book."
"So, what other kinds of things do you like to read?"

Shut up! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I've been out in public with HP, people have seen it and said, "I'll make this quick, since I know you want to read that!" (They don't know I'm currently on my 7th read-through.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hmm216
Member # 8403

- posted      Profile for Hmm216   Email Hmm216         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante...The Cat in the Hat comment was great...gave me a good laugh!!
(I know that was a while ago...but this is the first time I read this post!)

Posts: 218 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
<Must remember to try Tante's suggestion and report back>

Olivet ... I wanted to be Sherlock Holmes too ... we had the game, I had the hat, I had the magnifying glass.

He was just so cool.

And then, a teacher told the whole class that Sherlock Holmes was a heroine addict and so I politely corrected him and said it was opium and so he gave me detention ... even though I was right. ARGH.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"Sherlock Holmes was a heroine addict"

I loved Amelia Earhardt, myself.

firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
oops ... I'll not correct the spelling so that everyone else can have a good laugh on my account!

[ROFL]

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!
Herione addict!

My mother thinks that the HP books are all kinds of evil and one of my best friends haaaaaates them and will never read them ever, but what can you do?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien.m
Member # 8462

- posted      Profile for Damien.m   Email Damien.m         Edit/Delete Post 
It really annoys me when people who have not read them say they they hate them. As far as im concerned if you havent read them you dont have an opnion!

(This is my first post whoohoo!!!)

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Welcome, Damien!

In high school I adapted a Sherlock Holmes Short story to a one-act play, though I never got to put it on.

Plus, your teacher was wrong if she said heroin - in the books it is definitely cocaine. A seven percent solution, which I believe he was supposed to have taken by injection.

I never wanted to immitate THAT part of him, though. [Wink]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.