FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What's your favorite love song? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What's your favorite love song?
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Or you and your significant other's special song?

Mine changes, and my boyfriend and I don't have a song as of yet, but right now it's definitely Annie's Song, by John Denver...

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a fan of that one as well.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ill malkier
Member # 8244

- posted      Profile for ill malkier   Email ill malkier         Edit/Delete Post 
mine would have to be 'somebody' by depehe mode. i've loved that song since i was a small kid.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
"Can't Help Falling in Love"

Don't know who it's by, but it's been sung by many. It's kind of become my theme song (Those of you who know my dating history know why [Smile] )

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like unromantic "love songs" that are full of horrible ideas. This Love by Pantera is the best song to headbang to ever. I once was in a relationship that was perfectly described by a combination of User Friendly by Marilyn Manson and Trash by Korn. Wanna B UR Lover by Weird Al has the worst pickup lines ever set to music.

For something actually romantic, there's a few Daft Punk songs that are very touching, particularly Something About Us and Digital Love.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

Ooh - Boris, have you heard Bono's version? Trippy, but fantastic.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"Closer"

Ok, Ok for real.. Probably "Longer".

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
"With or Without You". Not really sure why, it just resonates with me.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I've become partial to "Snugglepuppy," from the Philadelphia Chickens CD.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably "Something I Can Never Have" by Nine Inch Nails.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
There are two I can think of that definitely qualify:
Murlough Bay by Iona
Eric's Song by Vienna Teng

Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stone_Wolf_
Member # 8299

- posted      Profile for Stone_Wolf_           Edit/Delete Post 
Definatly "Home" by Duncan Shiek.
Posts: 6683 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
With the last person I was dating, it was Alegria from Cirque du Soleil. It's not your usual love song, but I feel like it describes how I felt: complete and utter joy at being with that person. And it was partially in Italian, an added bonus.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm, I tend to lean towards Country music when I pick love songs actually.

So, "I Never Knew Love" By...I can't remember who. Or even "She Is" By I want to say Hal Ketchum.

Gwen and I have yet to pick one.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
"All My Life" by KC and JO-JO.
or
"Wonderwall" by Oasis
Both are quite nice.

Honorable mention:
"The Next To Be With You" by Mr. Big

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Closer, HA!
I love All I Want by Joni Mitchell. It's very me.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are partial to a song from the eighties called, "One Friend", perfomed by Dan Seals.

If I had only one friend left I'd want it to be you

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Paradise by the dashboard light" Meatloaf [Wink]
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the last song for the wedding reception (that I picked) is At My Most Beautiful, by REM.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
"Muskrat Love"

(okay - I'm joking! I'm joking!) *cough* *hack* *choke*!!

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
For me: Buddy Guy's "Feels Like Rain."

(I love you, Buddddy!)

For Dave, likely the same.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JuniperDreams
Member # 3471

- posted      Profile for JuniperDreams   Email JuniperDreams         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this counts, but I like "Kiss from a Rose" by Seal (or was it by a rose? Eh, whatever.)
Posts: 1245 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Astaril
Member # 7440

- posted      Profile for Astaril   Email Astaril         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Beautiful by Gordon Lightfoot. Also, My Buddy written by Gus Kahn & Walter Joseph Donaldson and recorded by just about everyone big 50 years ago. And I like And I Love You So by Don McLean.

I never *was* good at "pick one".

Posts: 624 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Broadway ones.

But my favorite song of all time, my theme song, I guess, is Moon River.

I also like Fly Me to the Moon, Top of the World, and every other song on my "Sentimental Journey" CD. [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron once sang the Unchained Melody for me. He has such a glorious voice.

But I guess our song was always "Hands to Heaven" by Breathe. It's really dated now, but it reminds me of falling for him. He put it on a mix tape he made for me. It's funny since in my church affiliation at the time it was customary to lift your hands when praying. "Raise your hands to heaven and pray, that we'll be back together, someday."

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
"Come What May" by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman. I like the version in the movie a little better than the one on the soundtrack.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I really like Come What May too.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, me too!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Me three. It's one of very few songs ever that I can actually sing as well as (I dare not claim 'better than') the recording. [Wink] Two years of voice lessons... *sigh*

But I do utterly love the song.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I thought of it, I turned on yahoo launchcast to see if I could get it to play. I put on the Ewan McGregor fan radio (imagine such a thing!) and it is playing soundtrack songs...

It's playing Remember When it Rained by Josh Groban from the movie Troy. That song always makes me get shivers up and down my spine.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
"July, your a woman" by John Stewart and Buffy Ford.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
These aren't really romantic songs in any sense, but the two songs my boyfriend and I both adore are Hotel California by the Eagles (my dad has the acoustic version on vinyl!)and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen - if one of us starts humming it, it won't be long until we're both singing our hearts out.

Too bad we're not in a threesome - then we could have all the parts covered. [Grumble]

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Luckiest" by Ben Folds

"All I Ask Of You" from Phantom of the Opera

"Just Like Heaven" by the Cure

Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sweet William
Member # 5212

- posted      Profile for Sweet William           Edit/Delete Post 
The River and the Highway
Pam Tillis

Posts: 524 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Magic, by Ben Folds (The Luckiest is sincere and heartfelt, but a little over-the-top for me, and Magic has more compelling music)

On the cheese front, I've got a soft spot for Aerosmith's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing. [Smile] While we're on over-the-top, a lot of His Infernal Majesty stuff is great for that as well because of the lyrical melodrama on songs like For You.

Then there are songs that I find evocative rather than sentimental. I Mother Earth's I Is Us is one of these ("I want you to yell / with your hair in my fingers"), Thinking Of You by A Perfect Circle is another. There are more, but they aren't coming to mind right now...

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think our song is Leon Russell, A Song for You. First song he serenaded me with, first song we danced to (at different times).

One of my favorites is the Natalie and Nat King Cole "duet", Unforgettable. I liked the original with just Nat, but the remix with both of them is amazing.

and thank goodness FG admitted to joking... I was going to have to consider sending out a posse... LOL

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Heaven Tonight by HIM is a nice love song I think.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's a little bittersweet (listen to the lyrics of the outro), but I will always love "Call and Answer" by the Barenakes Ladies.

My current favorites, though, are "Original of the Species" and "Miracle Drug" by U2, though they're ambiguous as always and can be about love or family or death. but this lyric:
quote:
I wanna trip inside your head; spend the day there
Hear the things you haven't said, and see what you might see

is just cool.
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Origin of Love from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. If it weren't for the fact that I've already chosen Moondance by Van Morrison for my wedding song I'd make it that [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

quote:
How could I forget this one? I burst into tears every single time I hear it.
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Put me down on the list of loving this one, and thinking it to be one of the ultimate love songs.

And, though now I find it rather corny, when I was a young, starry-eyed lass, I thought "If Ever I Would Leave You" from the sound track of Camelot to be an incredible love song.

I like musicals.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Blood and Decision, by Crow Greenspun.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
"Maybe I'm Amazed." by Paul McCartney

It still gives me chills.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Baby I Don't Care by Jennifer Ellison.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
All I Know by Art Garfunkel.
Too Marvelous For Words by Frank Sinatra.
The Way You Look Tonight by James Darren.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
We've been married 15 years and we don't have a song. Probably because we are compulsive about describing us perfectly.

"Two fine people" (Cat Stevens) is pretty good.
It's dorky but I like "Eigth world wonder" by one of those almost American Idol types. It's how I feel about him. The Simpsons managed to ruin "You are so beautiful" for us. We also like "She's got a way."

I like songs that express "you are very special to me" without crossing the line into "I'll kill myself if you leave me, and possibly you as well."

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] at mothertree. Yeah. I guess the obsessive songs aren't the best.

I've once outlined my entire love life with Billy Joel lyrics. I'd do it here, but you'd all be bored. Let's just say that I adore his love songs and the lyrics.

Aside from him (and he's really the best) I'll go with Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel. I just love how it sounds like a couple that's been together through a lot. The text is amazing.

I get so tired,
working so hard for our survival.
I look to the time with you
to keep me awake and alive

*sigh* I love it.

I think I'll start a thread about our favorite break up songs. [Smile] We're on the theme of romance today it seems.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to make a mix tape once of just songs that people thought were sweet or sexy but were really about obsession. Never did it.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
"What a Wonderful World"

We danced at it on our wedding, and then to a reggae version on our honeymoon.

I like it because that's what Eve does to the world for me - makes it more wonderful than I ever thought it could be.

Oh, yeah.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
This week it's First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes.
Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.